The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glaws v Sale

+3
formerly known as Sam
EnglishReign
HongKongCherry
7 posters

Go down

Glaws v Sale Empty Glaws v Sale

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:09 pm

If a Gloucester supporter had been away on holiday for the last week where would you begin to tell them of all the events?! After successive losses to Tigers, Exeter and Wasps, Glaws entered last weekend of rumours linking Redpath to Sale – ridiculous rumours started to unsettle Glaws ahead of the clash between Glaws and Sale the week after. A game that would be largely irrelevant as once Glaws beat basement boys Newcastle they will be several points clear of Sale...

Cue a loss against Newcastle without even a losing bonus point. This was followed by a clear statement that Sale had not approached Glaws to speak to Redpath. The long awaited announcement of Jimmy Cowan’s signing came – a cynical view being the timing was intended to appease the growing discontentment. All of these events were then eclipsed by the resignation of Redpath, apparently due to his belief he could not motivate the squad. However, even the most open minded person could not overlook the timing of this – the week of the now crucial game against Sale, the suitors of Redpath, that will decide who qualifies for the Heineken Cup next season.

You will be able to tell from my prose that this is still pretty raw for me. Rather than the usual “team’s up” I feel the need to vent my spleen, a feeling that I know is shared by thousands of Glaws supporters. Whether or not this is an elaborate mind game from Steve Diamond or genuine pursuit of Redpath, I firmly believe this will backfire. There is a real sense of anticipation in the City at the moment with a need to go out and prove a point. Despite Glaws’ woeful form in recent weeks I firmly believe we will see the backlash and Glaws will storm to victory.

It is a shame that this side show has taken away the focus on saying farewell to a number of players. Strokosch, Narraway, Scott Lawson, EFS and more than likely Rory Lawson, Voyce, Cortese and Tindall are all leaving. All of whom were extremely committed players (their replacements are arguably better, which again makes Brush’s decision puzzling) and so it will be good to thank them for their service on the back of a win.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Glaws v Sale Empty Re: Glaws v Sale

Post by EnglishReign Fri 20 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

There can only be one result tomorrow. I will be screaming my heart out, make no mistake.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:02 pm

This Saturday is about far more than just a game of rugby.

It's about whether Glawster - players, coaches and supporters - have the spirit and dog to fight back from the devastating events of recent days.

Perhaps more than ever, Glaws needs its supporters to descend on Kingsholm in large numbers for this last home game of the season, to welcome and reassure our beleaguered players & coaches as they arrive, to thank those who're leaving us after serving Glaws so well, and above all to give our most spirited and deafening vocal support, whether we're winning or losing, all the way from start to finish, and beyond!

GLAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:17 pm

Let's lighten this up a tad, team predictions? Will Glaws have the grunt up front to release the magic in the backs. Will the Sale midfield resemble anything other than additional flankers?

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

ER & Dunc, I couldn't agree with you more! It seems we are all prepared to be extremely vocal and be the 16th man. Kingsholm was unusually quiet against Newcastle, I can't see that happening tomorrow Braveheart
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 20 Apr 2012, 9:25 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Let's lighten this up a tad, team predictions? Will Glaws have the grunt up front to release the magic in the backs. Will the Sale midfield resemble anything other than additional flankers?

It has got a tad D&M, but is a sign of how shocking this week's events have been.

There is no doubt Glaws have been missing Woody in the scrum, but there have been a few of the forwards who have underperformed in recent weeks. Harden looks like he's shattered and Hamilton hasn't been the same since coming back from Scotland. But on the basis of these strong feelings you would have to fully expect they are going to front up, unlike in recent weeks. If they don't then some serious questions need to be asked!

My concern is that if the early tide doesn't go our way we could lose concentration and push too hard. Similarly one of the faults of the backs in recent weeks is they seem intent on getting the ball wide as soon as possible, but it is missing the old adage of earning the right to go wide. Invariably all defending teams need to do is have a drift defence and we run out of ideas. We need a few more scissor moves, chips and grubbers and going to the blind side.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:28 pm

Teams are up:

GLAWS
Jonny May; Charlie Sharples, Mike Tindall, Tim Molenaar, James Simpson-Daniel; Freddie Burns, Dave Lewis; Dan Murphy, Scott Lawson, Rupert Harden; Jim Hamilton, Alex Brown; Peter Buxton (capt), Akapusi Qera, Alasdair Strokosch

Replacements:
Darren Dawidiuk, Yann Thomas, Shaun Knight, Will James, Matt Cox, Dan Robson, Ryan Mills, Tom Voyce

SALE
15.Rob Miller, 14.Tom Brady, 13.Will Addison, 12.Sam Tuitupou (capt.), 11.Mark Cueto, 10.Nick Macleod, 9.Cillian Willis, 1.Andrew Sheridan, 2.Joe Ward, 3.Tony Buckley, 4.Andrei Ostrikov, 5. Kearnan Myall, 6.Mark Easter, 7.David Seymour, 8.Andy Powell.

Replacements: 16.Marc Jones,17.Lee Imiolek,18.Henry Thomas,19.Tom Holmes, 20.Tommy Taylor, 21.Scott Mathie, 22.Andrew Higgins, 23.Charlie Amesbury
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:35 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:
My concern is that if the early tide doesn't go our way we could lose concentration and push too hard. Similarly one of the faults of the backs in recent weeks is they seem intent on getting the ball wide as soon as possible, but it is missing the old adage of earning the right to go wide. Invariably all defending teams need to do is have a drift defence and we run out of ideas. We need a few more scissor moves, chips and grubbers and going to the blind side.

That is definitely one of our recurring failings and something that needs to change for next season.

But for now, on Saturday as always, all we as supporters can do is help keep the players' confidence up by not letting our support drop.
When they feel the support draining away the players start getting desperate and even panicky.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm

A few interesting changes.
Strokes instead of Naz
Lewis instead of Runciman
Molenaar instead of Sapolu

And on the bench,
Robson instead of Runciman
Mills instead of Taylor
Cox instead of Strokes
Voyce instead of Molenaar

Last edited by Dunc Wooster on Fri 20 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot that Runciman started last week (doh!))

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:27 am

I'll be there in my seat hollerin' & cheerin' , and I really think (or is it hope ?) the boys will turn it on, one final time this season, to put all the last few weeks sh#t well behind them ..and behind the fans. Loads of free running in from the back 3. Good luck boys, and best wishes also to fellow sufferers: HKC, Dunc, English Reign. A Doombar in The Kingsholm for everyone of you !

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sat 21 Apr 2012, 12:56 am

gregortree wrote:I'll be there in my seat hollerin' & cheerin' , and I really think (or is it hope ?) the boys will turn it on, one final time this season, to put all the last few weeks sh#t well behind them ..and behind the fans. Loads of free running in from the back 3. Good luck boys, and best wishes also to fellow sufferers: HKC, Dunc, English Reign. A Doombar in The Kingsholm for everyone of you !

Nothing quite like a Doombar Ale

I know the Twitter Glawsfamily are meeting there tomorrow, so plenty of complaints of the pavement being blocked! Wink
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 21 Apr 2012, 3:43 am

gregortree wrote:I'll be there in my seat hollerin' & cheerin' , and I really think (or is it hope ?) the boys will turn it on, one final time this season, to put all the last few weeks sh#t well behind them ..and behind the fans. Loads of free running in from the back 3. Good luck boys, and best wishes also to fellow sufferers: HKC, Dunc, English Reign. A Doombar in The Kingsholm for everyone of you !

Doombar sounds good to me, my man! Hope it's a good one tomorrow Ale

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 22 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

It's not an easy life being a Glaws supporter, but it sure is character building! Erm
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 22 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm

Not much consolation - but I am sure Tigers will try to ensure you just need an LBP at the Madj to go back above Bath in the table.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 22 Apr 2012, 7:01 pm

That's a big ask of Glaws LT! I thought your guys were immense yesterday, you're looking very good for the play offs OK
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 22 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

I'm sorry Gloucester, it seems every time I back you to win I give you the kiss of death!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

So its your fault is it Yappy?! ;
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

Yet more stories in today's press linking Glaws with Dai Young.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 22 Apr 2012, 10:47 pm

HongKongCherry - Not meaning to rub salt into the wound, but could you tell me your thoughts on Redpath. I've heard some people wax lyrical about his coaching, but to me, Gloucester seem to have been massively inconsistent all year and often appear less than the sum of their parts.

Have injuries played a part? Or is it something else. The talk of him being linked with Sale baffles me, i just can't see what he offers. Mind you i thought exactly the same of Hanks. It seems we're rotating a group of mediocre coaches around the Prem.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Sun 22 Apr 2012, 11:43 pm

Hi Hood, reflecting on Brush's tenure does show Glaws were inconsistent and more so this season than last. But there were underlying reasons behind this. Brush had to deal with a period of financial restructuring which effected the strength in depth. Likewise he chose to blood youngsters this season which was always going to make it a tougher year. Next season however the financial shackles are off and the youngsters have some experience, which makes his decision all the more puzzling.

As a coach I do think he has a lot offer. He definitely isn't afraid to pick on form rather than reputation. He likes old style forward play (not that our pack have given this in the last 2 months) mixed with some flair. In general he is quite conservative as he liked us to play positional rugby, rather than preach heads up. I do think he still has an awful lot to offer and I'm sure he'll go onto be a decent coach.

For Glaws I think maybe this is the time to bring in an experienced coach to help develop the youngsters. But I would like a bit of Glaws old boy thrown in too. Something like a Kirwan & Mapletoft partnership would do me quite nicely!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down