The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

+45
oldparwin
Doon the Water
Thomond
Dave.
ralphjohn69
George1507
mthierry
Slowride
beninho
Hibbz
LastDamnation
Diggers
SmithersJones
mystiroakey
monty junior
Faldono1fan
AlciG
kwinigolfer
Conehead
Sand
pedro
navyblueshorts
barragan
Plunky
NedB-H
twoeightnine
dynamark
raycastleunited
Leff
Islingtonv2
Shotrock
GPB
princedracula
hend085
delToro87
robopz
John Cregan
EmmDee57
Fader
McLaren
Skydriver
neutral07
sirbenson
super_realist
incontinentia
49 posters

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Sat 09 Jun 2012, 2:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Notes this week from the Land That WiFi Forgot; but the beach cricket pitches are spectacular - if anyone only knew how to play. So: Notes very short, if not sweet.

2).Last week's entertainment in Memphis was predictably unpredictable. Good to have Dustin Johnson back in Victory Lane, but a short stint in front of the telly would have suggested that, if Rory had made just half the putts he missed under five feet, he'd have probably won.

3).Glimmer of form from two unlikely Aussie sources with Nick O'Hern registering his first top 25 finish of the season. Expect him also to play well in Hartford in a fortnight. And Robert Allenby was back on the leaderboard after a couple of months in the weeds. Allenby, who could always be depended upon for his ball-striking - and his unpredictable short game. Now the whole lot has been unpredictable. Maybe that will change with some confidence from a good result..

4).More good results from Greg Owen, now almost certain to qualify, not just for The Barclays, but for the Deutsche Bank also.

5).Dustin Johnson now has six wins since 2007 - only Woods (16), Mickelson (10), Stricker (9) and Zach (7) have more. About 3/1 against one of those five increasing his total this week?

6).Robert Karlsson has sunk to #50 in the World Rankings, perhaps just a continuation of his rotten form away from leaving for the Top 50 for the first time in over 4 years. The leaders in consecutive weeks in the top 50 might surprise:
Mickelson - 968
Donald - 406
Poulter - 299
Stricker - 275
Zach Johnson - 270
Westwood - 249
Kaymer - 229

7).No-one has won the US Open after winning on the PGA Tour the previous week, in recent history at least. Dustin Johnson has a lot to prove and his successes (and an ultimate disappointment) at Pebble Beach suggest that he's a strong candidate to upset that line in the record book. But the past two US Opens at Olympic have been won by Scott Simpson and Lee Janzen, top-class golfers to be sure but known better for steady play and sometimes excellent short games. Furyk-like, Donald, Stricker? Not sure I've got the faintest idea, but Olympic will certainly test the patience.

8).More as an item of interest than an indicator for this week, the 1998 leaders from this week's field include:
5th: Stricker
7th: Westwood
10th: Cink, Mickelson
14th: Furyk, Kuchar
18th: Woods
23rd: Casey Martin
25th: Bjorn, Singh,
32nd: Durant, Harrington
43th: Olin Browne
49th: Els

9).The forecast for Thursday and Friday at least suggests cool, breezy weather with temps not reaching 70F until the weekend. Combined with the traditional "heavy" ocean air, the course yardage of approx 7,100 yards will play much longer, especially given the very narrow actual landing areas on some fairways caused by the sloped landing areas. I'd guess that will favour a Westwood over a Donald, a Mahan over a Stricker, but really can't think of any "favourite".

10).So who are we going to be staying up late to see crowned "US Open Champion"? Not McIlroy or Donald for me, and not Bubba or even Tiger, despite his return to winning form at Memorial. In 2009 he won each of his last pre-Major start but came up empty; it would be a brave punter who bet on a repeat, but this may not be the opportunity for him. Best bet might be e.w. on someone like Peter Hanson. Or even a real stretch, Spencer Levin. And by that time I’ll have returned to the land of wi-fi.

From incontinentia (merged from another thread):

Site: The Olympic Club (Lake Course)

The course: The Lake Course was designed in 1924 by Willie Watson and Sam Whiting, and then Whiting redesigned it three years later because of significant storm damage. Its main characteristics are sloping, tree-lined fairways as the property works its way down toward Lake Merced. There is only one fairway bunker on the entire course, at the par-4 sixth. There have been minimal renovations over the years, except for a new hole created for the par-3 eighth that now plays 200 yards and was moved to the right. Hundreds of trees have been removed, opening views down toward Lake Merced.

Length: 7,170 yards
Par: 34-36—70

Last time at Olympic Club: Lee Janzen overcame a five-shot deficit against Payne Stewart and closed with a 2-under 68 for a two-shot victory. Janzen got a huge break in the final round when his ball, stuck in a tree on the fifth hole, was dislodged as Janzen was headed back to the tee to play his third shot. It was his second U.S. Open title.

U.S. Open champions at Olympic Club: Jack Fleck (1955), Billy Casper (1966), Scott Simpson (1987), Lee Janzen (1998).

Noteworthy: The four players who finished second in the U.S. Opens at The Olympic Club won a combined 27 majors. The four winners won a combined seven majors.

Quoteworthy: "Now we are going to get back to where it's not going to be so much fun and games out there. It's going to be hard work."—Johnny Miller on Olympic Club.

Key statistic: The U.S. Open is the only major Tiger Woods has not won in consecutive years.

Key coincidence: The U.S. Open champion played with Phil Mickelson in the opening two rounds twice in the last four years.

Tiger tales: Tiger Woods has gone four years without winning a major. The longest Jack Nicklaus went without a major was five years, a drought that began at age 41.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:14 pm

Peter lawrie is a seriously odd looking bloke. Not sure what to make of the look he has got going on?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 Empty Re: PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Leff Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:34 pm

This course is a nightmare for risk-takers like Bubba.

US Open is all about precision. An in-form Goose would have enjoyed this.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:40 pm

Sorry but this is terrible. The great thing about watching these guys is their distance control, but when it's this firm all that goes out of the window and it just becomes a lottery.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:45 pm

smithers

They could stop trying to land it pin high and actually judge the reaction of ball and ground. This is after all a game of man and nature.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:49 pm

McLaren wrote:smithers

They could stop trying to land it pin high and actually judge the reaction of ball and ground. This is after all a game of man and nature.
That's just it though, they're having to pitch it sort and guess how far it'll bounce.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm

About to go to bed but a couple of observations as 'The Brits' group are somewhere around their 5th hole.

Greens are borderline already. I get the feeling that playing in the afternoon is going to be a real handicap today.

From watching the coverage you'd wonder whether Donald was playing. I'd get it if he was +8 and 80th in the world but he's not. Yet earlier we get to see Tiger's shots from ten angles then he reaction from a further three. Bit more of one and less of the other please.

Shame about the time difference. I can deal with a 12:30 end but 3 is too much.

The Brits have just started the 5th. Another hole where the closest we get to see of them driving is the graphic of where they went.

Mahan looking good.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 10:54 pm

Hell no, please dont tell me they are having to play the ground game??

The poor darlings.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:01 pm

McLaren wrote:Hell no, please dont tell me they are having to play the ground game??

The poor darlings.
Mac, the idea of the "ground game" is to keep the ball under the wind on exposed, blustery links courses; those courses tend to be very open, contoured but with wide run-in areas to allow for a low, running game. The guys this afternoon aren't aiming short to keep their balls below the wind, they're doing it because wedges pitched into uphill greens are still running on 25 yards, which is just silly - and the course isn't one designed for a bump and run game, there's pin positions tucked behind bunkers, protected green frontages, tapered fairways and so on.

I hope they don't change too much for tomorrow, simply because if they're going to have borderline-unfair conditions they need to make it even for both sides of the draw... if they water the greens tomorrow lunchtime they effectively throw this afternoon's starters out of the tournament. But I think they'll need to slow it down for the weekend, if it's already as quick as this on the Thursday afternoon it could get totally ridiculous.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:07 pm

Thank you Ned, exactly what I meant but couldn't be bothered to type in such details on my phone screen!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:08 pm

Painful to watch the top 3 group at the moment. Errors after error from tee to green and poor putting as well.

Back 9 has some better chances of scoring but they're making hard work of it.

Bubba looked like he'd given up the last few holes and was just hitting driver to please the crowds regardless of whether the hole warranted it or not. (he hit driver on a 280 yard hole?) I like the guy but he can sure sulk when it's not going his way.

Fowler and Mahon looking solid.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

anyone +6 is still in the event

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:21 pm

twoeightnine wrote:About to go to bed but a couple of observations as 'The Brits' group are somewhere around their 5th hole.

Greens are borderline already. I get the feeling that playing in the afternoon is going to be a real handicap today.

From watching the coverage you'd wonder whether Donald was playing. I'd get it if he was +8 and 80th in the world but he's not. Yet earlier we get to see Tiger's shots from ten angles then he reaction from a further three. Bit more of one and less of the other please.

The Brits have just started the 5th. Another hole where the closest we get to see of them driving is the graphic of where they went.

Mahan looking good.

If you wanted to watch the three Brits so much just press the red button. The reason why they haven't been showing is because they are bogeying every other hole, Woods played superbly and is the biggest draw in Golf which is why we didn't miss a shot. Go figure.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:23 pm

Also Rob Lee just said Marc Warren is playing in his first ever major? can this be true. He's won twice on the European tour and won the world cup, surely he's played in a few..

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:25 pm

monty - the guy has a point- if you honestly think the reason we saw every one of woods shots is because of his play then you are very mistaken- its just the biggest draw part of your comment that is correct.. we would see him taking a dump if there were cameras in the toilet

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:29 pm

marc warren.

Yes its his first major, he won a couple years ago and then went to pot

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:29 pm

I see his point for sure, if i'm honest the three guys bore me to death except McIlroy when he's on form so maybe i wasn't totally impartial. What a shot by Watney

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:32 pm

well with a name called monty that really surprises me. each to there own mind!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:34 pm

so an albatrous in both majors this year so far!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:36 pm

Guys, the ground game is not just for the wind, it is for any golfer willing to think more expressively about how to play the game.

Mysti

+6 is currently a tie for 124. I would be surprised if the winning player came from that far back, even at this early stage.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:38 pm

One way to get back to level par I guess!

Get the feeling a plodder with good course management wins this over someone who makes a lot of birdies. If Westwood keeps the ball on short stuff and can just 2 putt his way round could come close end of week.

Wonder if Rory makes this 4 M/C's in his last 5 events. Also what does Poulter look like!

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:41 pm

I get the feeling rory will throw the towel in anytime soon, as we know he does not like the tougher conditions.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:44 pm

mystiroakey wrote:well with a name called monty that really surprises me. each to there own mind!

It's my nickname nothing to do with the golfer.

Keep the sly comments to yourself ,thanks

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm

'sly comments', Your the one dismissing someone elses fav golfers. You want to give it, but you clearly cant take it.I suggest you take your own advice PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 732107

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:46 pm

McLaren wrote:I get the feeling rory will throw the towel in anytime soon, as we know he does not like the tougher conditions.
When has he ever thrown in the towel? Even when he knackered his wrist in the first 9 of last year's PGA, he ground out 72 fairly pointless holes.

He won't win this week, mind...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:49 pm

mystiroakey wrote:'sly comments', Your the one dismissing someone elses fav golfers. You want to give it, but you clearly cant take it.I suggest you take your own advice PGA Tour: The Olympic Game: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 4 732107

I'm dismissing nobody, i was just giving perfectly reasonable reasons why they missed a few of they're shots. I was also speaking to somebody else, not your good self.

Anyway.. censored

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:50 pm

monty junior wrote:
twoeightnine wrote:About to go to bed but a couple of observations as 'The Brits' group are somewhere around their 5th hole.

Mahan looking good.

If you wanted to watch the three Brits so much just press the red button. The reason why they haven't been showing is because they are bogeying every other hole, Woods played superbly and is the biggest draw in Golf which is why we didn't miss a shot. Go figure.

No doubt tiger played really well but without a doubt the course is playing at least a few shots harder this afternoon. The top 3 are really struggling but they just need to hang in there...About an hour ago the first 6 holes were played +265 over... Will only be worse now.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:53 pm

Good nite monty

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 14 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

Sweet dreams Very Happy

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 15 Jun 2012, 12:50 am

Been a long time since there's been a leaderboard as American-dominated as this in a major. And been a long time since as high-profile a group as 1-2-3 have so collectively poorly, the three of them have all been dreadful.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Fri 15 Jun 2012, 1:32 am

Nice to see Casey Martin. Classy guy. Hope he makes the cut.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Jun 2012, 7:23 am

Will people please stop using terms like 'go figure' and 'period' please.
It makes the forum look like an American teen drama.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fader Fri 15 Jun 2012, 7:57 am

super_realist wrote:Will people please stop using terms like 'go figure' and 'period' please.
It makes the forum look like an American teen drama.

Hmm.. Go figure SR doesn't like american teen drama's period!

Have to admit the word period in conversation context doesn't sit right with me.

Fader

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:24 am

Got to say Westys round was pretty banging in the end. only plus 3 in what seemed like impossible conditions.

He is pretty well set for this. Donald is gone in another major- i bet he wants to crawl of somewhere

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Jun 2012, 8:48 am

The leaderboard is not that yank dominated Ned. There are 9 internationals in the top 15 and even more just one shot further back.

Good day for Diggers favourite Poulter. Even his other favourite Garcia is not far away. This no mark Thompson will disappear and then its anyone's who is within 7-8 shots at the end of the day.
Judging by the gir stats its whoever can get up and down the best. Majority of players only holding 7-9 greens rather than the usual 12-14. Another plus for Poulter who has a great short game (even although he's a fudpiece).

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:14 am

Delighted that Westwood managed to dig in after his terrible start.

Morning groups got the easier conditions so hopefully this is the case today and he can get close to level par.

ALready thinking that level par would guarantee a top 5 finish at least. Tough conditions. Hard for anyone to play into the greens with any degree of aggression in the afternoon groups.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:22 am

Report now up on the BBC website focusing on the trials and tribulations of the elite Brits. Found it quite funny - top 3 in the world basically saying "Really hard... so-ooo difficult..." and then Rose chirps in "It was fun out there!".

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:25 am

Rose played well, Is also a top6 in the world player- but obviously almost lucky to be out of the pressure group!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:46 am

Have to be honest, you could kind of see what was going to happen to the Brit group in advance, somehow seemed destined. Thats said Westwood is far from out of it and I really fancy Rose to do well and keep it going this week , the course suits his game I think.
If the course contines to play really tough later in the day then it could be that being 5-6 shots or so off the lead going into Sunday could almost be an advantage. Post a low number under not too much pressure and watch the greens get tougher and tougher.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Conehead Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:52 am

Good point Diggers.

Would be nerve wracking for a player to post a decent clubhouse lead early in the morning and then watch the rest throw away shot after shot and his score come into contention.

Normally the early players in the morning of a Sunday are just making up the numbers and can't wait to get away from the course but if it carries on playing as difficult in the afternoon it could still be completely up for grabs for a large number come Sunday.

Conehead

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:55 am

I think this course suits the poults perfectly..

Tough course, need good touch.. I think its his.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

Ned

You obviously didn’t watch Rory at the open last year or the memorial of late in particular. He tries to play how he wants no matter what the course requires, if his game wont fit the course he just doesn’t accept the need to change and racks up a cut missing score.

So there seems to have been a small advantage to teeing off in the afternoon if we look at the scoring;

Morning groups

A total of 410 over par
Average score 75.26

Afternoon groups

A total of 358 over par
Average score 74.59

Total scoring average of 74.9

So about 0.67 difference in scoring, in favour of the afternoon tee times.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

mystiroakey wrote:I think this course suits the poults perfectly..

Tough course, need good touch.. I think its his.

Shocked

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 9:58 am

hehe

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:00 am

McLaren wrote:Ned

You obviously didn’t watch Rory at the open last year or the memorial of late in particular. He tries to play how he wants no matter what the course requires, if his game wont fit the course he just doesn’t accept the need to change and racks up a cut missing score.

So there seems to have been a small advantage to teeing off in the afternoon if we look at the scoring;

Morning groups

A total of 410 over par
Average score 75.26

Afternoon groups

A total of 358 over par
Average score 74.59

Total scoring average of 74.9

So about 0.67 difference in scoring, in favour of the afternoon tee times.

interesting stuff- however the course looked alot harder last out, that or the brit 3 really shagged it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:03 am

mystiroakey wrote:hehe

You are though right, it should suit him as yesterday proved. Just dont think he is good enough to beat others who will also like the test of the course. I think Mr Furyk might be there or thereabouts come Sunday afternoon.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:08 am

Correct Diggs, Furyk is a good shout for this.He is a wise golfer and obviously in ok touch.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:11 am

Mysti

The brit group must have been poor in the marginally easier portion of the day. But as has been mentioned this will have come as a shock to no one.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:15 am

mysti

The average score (75.2) for the late afternoon groups - after 1400 tee off - was the same as the morning average. So yes, the brits cracked under pressure.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:19 am

McLaren wrote:Mysti

The brit group must have been poor in the marginally easier portion of the day. But as has been mentioned this will have come as a shock to no one.

not sure if it was the easier portion of the day, i honestly think the course looked harder for there group. even though there were in the tougher half scoring wise. Just remember that spliting it in two doesnt tell us the full story- if we split it into three the last session could be the toughest(the easier section could have been middle).

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 15 Jun 2012, 10:21 am

McLaren wrote:mysti

The average score (75.2) for the late afternoon groups - after 1400 tee off - was the same as the morning average. So yes, the brits cracked under pressure.

westwood didnt(2 under the scoring average). and miclroy is just playing rubbish- i will agree that donald did as he allways does first round in a major. pretty much standard really

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 16  Next