The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem?

3 posters

Go down

Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem? Empty Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem?

Post by Kingshu Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:09 am

Was reading this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18624877

The clubs in England's Championship claim the Rugby Football Union has failed to pay them what they were promised when they league was set up.

This is intresting on its own, and I'm sure plenty of fans will have an opionion on the RFU treatment of the Championship.

But another thing that caught my attention was,

"No one would argue the fact that playing standards have risen and that the dual-registration scheme has proven a success with many Premiership teams clambering at the opportunity of their youngsters playing in such a demanding environment.

More than half of Harlequins' Premiership-winning squad played Championship rugby
29% of the current England squad have played in the Championship
55% of the England squad at this summer's Junior World Cup were dual-registered with Championship sides

Now is this dual-registration scheme a first step in turning the Championships clubs into feeder teams?

Just to compare it to a system I know well (similar to Wales and super rugby) all the Irish clubs in a Province feed into that Provincial team, players are dual registered with the Province and a club, (although they only ever play in AIB when returning from injury and in need of game time.

But could the English be forming a different model in time, whereby Prem teams are associated with certain clubs, but instead use the Whole Championship as a communial pool of players, they Dual register younger players and send them down, and also when in need of a player in an injury crisis call one up from the championship.

Not sure of the fine details but is something like this being created, naturally to pavve the way for a ringfenced Prem?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem? Empty Re: Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem?

Post by Geordie Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

I think its going to become inevitable....and may benefit English rugby...but not impress the fans of teams not in the pl.

I imagine they already have an idea of who they would want in it...on a selfish note I hope we are.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem? Empty Re: Championship woes, and are we gearing up for a ring fenced Prem?

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:55 am

Key part in there

Clubs in the Championship will receive £335,000 for the 2012-13 season, but clubs feel that figure should be close to £400,000.

They "feel" they should be getting more? That sounds like it wasn't set. If not then I'm not surpised the RFU gae them less in a year without the home AI.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 29 Jun 2012, 11:57 am

The RFU are against ring fencing the premiership. What is more likely is a francise based 20 pro teams with two tiers. Relegation from top to bottom and the francises are reviewed every 3 or 4 of years. thats based on the 12 Premiership sides and the 8 championship playoff teams.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down