The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why do you travel?

+7
westisbest
SharkSoul
ChequeredJersey
TopHat24/7
kwinigolfer
Thomond
Fists of Fury
11 posters

Go down

Why do you travel? Empty Why do you travel?

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:37 am

Many people travel, whether that be in their homeland, within their own continent, or to all kinds of far fetched places around the globe.

Nobody can go to them all, which is unfortunate, but everyone goes for different reasons. Culture, scenery, relaxation, the lure of the unknown, a sense of adventure. Some even go just to say they've been there.

Why do you travel? Personally I'd say it was a mixture of the above. I have travelled a fair bit around Europe, and have to say I love the cultural changes between say Spain, Germany and then through to Eastern Europe. Without even a hint of disrespect, I find it akin to taking a step back 50 years whenever I go to Eastern Europe. There are reminders of the USSR in almost every corner, and the locals have that serious look about them (some can appear quite intimidating, but they really are lovely people; I feel they can get a bit of a bad press from the more ignorant of Western Europeans).

The changes are often subtle, but noticeable all the same. Food plays a part, too. Take Bulgaria and Greece for example. They're neighbours, but the food is very different yet equally outstanding. Likewise the architecture of European cities. There are some absolute corkers.

I'd be interested to hear your own views.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Why do you travel? Empty Re: Why do you travel?

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:18 pm

Not really one reason, I suppose. The place I have been to most is Florida. I have family there is onre reason so to spend time with them. I love the scenery aroudn there partciualrly around the verglades and kind of swamp like areas. It has some interesting cuisine. It's mainly seafood, which I like but I'm a bigger fan of the barbecue type food they have.

Great place to relax with it's many beaches etc. While it has the asventure side of things with all the Theme Parks in Orlando and Tampa. An absolutely lovely spot and due to having family there I think we were able to go there when I was younger as we wouldn't have to spend as much time in hotels.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 24 Jul 2012, 12:50 pm

"Education" and Scenic Beauty.

I'd say that, if Americans travelled abroad half as much as Europeans do, the World would be an incomparably safer place.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:02 pm

Interesting and poignant question Fists.

I would say a mixture of adventure and escapism. Whether it be snow-mobiling on the glaciers of Iceland or wandering around the markets of Marrakech I feel transported to another world where my stresses and troubles are left in my office in Mayfair and I can let my imaignation wander, guided by my sense of adventure. Being an only child I've always been a bit of a dreamer so transporting myself to a whole different culture is one of my favourite things in life, and I equally love the mystery of discovering a new place (new to me, of course, I'm not Indiana Jones!).

Sometimes I travel for other reasons. Like Thomond I have family in Florida, on the gulf coast, so I try to get there once a year to see my niece. But for the most part it's to escape the reality that I'm 28 with a pension, a mortgage, an office job and a career to worry about!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:16 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:"Education" and Scenic Beauty.

I'd say that, if Americans travelled abroad half as much as Europeans do, the World would be an incomparably safer place.

Second that. Love going to America and have a lot of friends there (due to working there during my summers at Uni) but by God are the Yanks poorly travelled for the most part. Easily the most introspective country in the world, a general attitude of nothing outside America matters purveys, and, sadly it's often the biggest twonks that do travel. Asia is shocking for it, the only Yanks you see are either Paedos in the bars with young girls or rich/spoilt college kids making idiots of themselves.

One of the reasons I think the Summer Camp system in the states is so fantastic is that, at the good camps at least, there is a strong commitment to hiring at least a third of staff from outside the US as it means the kids are exposed to different people from different cultures and learn and grow more as a result. It plants that seed of interest in the world outside of the States at an early age. The Y camp I was at had Aussies, Brits, Kiwis, Saffas and Brazilians that made up probably one third of the staff if not more. Add to that Spanish, Mexican, Portuguese, Russian, German, Argentinian and Colombian and you've got quite a mix!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue 24 Jul 2012, 1:21 pm

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I think these videos show that Americans don't travel very far or know much about other European cultures. They are not safe for work though!
Fun, adventure and relaxation is the main reason for travelling really.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 24 Jul 2012, 5:44 pm

Every time I've traveled it's for a different reason!

My family holidays as a kid were mostly to relax or visit specific places (Florida,Disney Smile ) or relatives (Canada, New York, Scotland). Then they were more to experience places whilst still not doing anything (Cyprus, Dom Rep).

I've traveled to visit family and friends (Germany, Italy, Australia), to explore new cultures (India) to recover from that! (Thailand), to break up my years of education with adventure (SE Asia, Australia, NZ, Canada), to go on sport (Belgium, Scotland), music (Hungary, Italy, a lot) or educational trips (Italy, Germany, Greece), to ski (France). It's always different
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 26 Jul 2012, 9:30 am

Speaking of why do I travel...I'm off to Spain for 6 days in a moment. The reason - to do absolutely sod all, take in some rays, drink plenty of beer and eat plenty of food. Very Happy

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:44 am

Great OP Fists.

I've only just stumbled across this thread.

A myriad of reasons really and all highlighted in your OP. I find that there's a correlation between exploration geographically and 'spiritually'. The more I discover about the world the more I find out about myself. Perspective is also another factor. I think it's good for everyone to travel to remind oneself that all isn't as bad as it seems. I've spent some time in some barren/dangerous locations around the world and found I've had an amazing time but mainly because I've found out more about myself than I have the location.

Just another driver for my 'World Tour' in 2014.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 26 Sep 2013, 11:05 am

I love seeing other parts of the world.
Lived in Nigeria when I was a kid(parents lived there)
Was a great time, would love to go back, would be different now i suppose.

My dad now lives in Nairobi, so have been lucky to go out there a fair few times.

Have experienced the Mara, probably my favourite holiday, safari's.

My girlfriend and I enjouy going to Orlando, (been 3 times).
Just a totaly different holiday to Kenya.

Enjoy lazing on the beach, went to Gran Caneria for the first time in June, really enjoyed it.

Then there is the football trips I've been on supporting Ireland.
Skopje, macedonia was agreat trip, football aside, there was a music festival on which made the trip more enjoyable.
Its a great spot, friendly people, the old town was great to see aswell.

Was in Stockholm in march(again for ireland game). Again football aside, loved the city, locals were great, wasnt as cold as we thought it would be.

2 places I would love to go to are Vegas and Sydney.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Thu 26 Sep 2013, 1:25 pm

westisbest wrote:I love seeing other parts of the world.
Lived in Nigeria when I was a kid(parents lived there)
Was a great time, would love to go back, would be different now i suppose.

My dad now lives in Nairobi, so have been lucky to go out there a fair few times.

Have experienced the Mara, probably my favourite holiday, safari's.

My girlfriend and I enjouy going to Orlando, (been 3 times).
Just a totaly different holiday to Kenya.

Enjoy lazing on the beach, went to Gran Caneria for the first time in June, really enjoyed it.

Then there is the football trips I've been on supporting Ireland.
Skopje, macedonia was agreat trip, football aside, there was a music festival on which made the trip more enjoyable.
Its a great spot, friendly people, the old town was great to see aswell.

Was in Stockholm in march(again for ireland game). Again football aside, loved the city, locals were great, wasnt as cold as we thought it would be.

2 places I would love to go to are Vegas and Sydney.
Africa is on my list and when I re-locate there next year (South Africa) I aim to see as much of it as possible. Places like Mozambique, Tanzania, Namibia, Kenya etc.

I've been to Las Vegas three times, one with work, one to watch boxing and the other to play poker, as much as it's 'Disney Land' for adults when the lights are off during the day it isn't the most glamorous of places but when night falls and those lights come on there's something mesmerising about it. Magical even.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 22 Nov 2013, 1:51 pm

My main reason was not knowing what the hell else to do!!

Was lucky enough to spend 3 years in total outside the UK from the age of 20 to 26 loafing around South America, South & South East Asia, Middle East and Australia.

Always enjoyed experiencing different cultures and find he changes your outlook on certain things in life.

Wish I could do it all again.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Nov 2013, 2:47 pm

I love travel for a variety of reasons ........

1. It's escape from the normal and an exit from the day to day grind and it's mundane-ness.....

2. I can be myself on holiday.........No neighbours or Boss to pacify........Time for the bud to become a flower..well as much of one as you can be with Wife and kids in tow...

3.. Experiment with food and drink and to try all the local dishes you never see.......

4. I love the sea.........It's a calming influence and whether lying on a beach or messing around in the sea you can forget your problems for two weeks and just get back to being a big kid.....

Been to New York on many occasions coming from near by Boston, New Jersey, Canada......Since living over here......Been to Greece, Venice,Portugal, Spain, France and Belgium...

Spain and Belgium on countless occasions because My Father-in-law has properties there.......Mainly Marbella now...My wife likes the sun and hates long haul........

She finds Boston hard work these days..Which is a shame because we will be going there in three weeks..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu 13 Mar 2014, 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 28 Nov 2013, 1:53 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
Why do you travel?
I'd be interested to hear your own views.
I'm not really sure but I guess there's a voice that keeps on calling me down the road, so that's probably where I'll always be? I mean it is great, every stop I make, I make a new friend, unfortunately I can't usually stay for long, so I just turn around and I'm gone again. Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down but until that time comes, I'll just keep moving on.

Metaphorically speaking there are roads out there that never end, where a new adventure lies just around the bend. So if you want to join me for a while, just grab your hat, I usually travel light as well, that's hobo style.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Sat 30 Nov 2013, 6:29 pm

Loving the littlest hobo quote! By the way Sean when are you bringing back sheep? I saw on another thread you were going to pick up the reigns.

In answer to the OP for me like most on here it's a mixture of things.

In general I love to see new places. I had a list of thing's to do before I was 30 and managed to cross off an extra 4 countries as a result which led me to thing's like helicopter flights and jumping off the Statosphere hotel in Vegas, eating bison and octopus amongst other things. Then there's the people. I've yet to meet people on trips that I didn't get along with. I found the Germans especially to be fantastic people.

But I also feel that there is loads to do on your own door step that we forget about. I love the lake district, Edinburgh, Cornwall, Cotwolds to name just a few. Every year I try to see a little bit extra of Britain. It helps with having friends scattered around the Isle's to visit!

Then some times you just need a chill out holiday. I recently went to the Algarve, a mixed group of us and just had a great time getting to know people (hadn't met a fair few before going).

But as others have said above the main thing is just being able to switch off from everyday life. Work can be a bore and it's holidays that make you realise it's all been worthwhile.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 Feb 2017, 4:07 pm

Why do you travel? Search?q=djokovic+screech&biw=1216&bih=708&tbm=isch&imgil=E9Idv2oPPYdY5M%253A%253BcoVeWyla15XTEM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Ftt.tennis-warehouse.com%25252Findex.php%25253Fthreads%25252Fpro-tour-players-celebrity-lookalikes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down