The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons open training sessions etc

+9
Coleman
gowales
Smirnoffpriest
munkian
ScarletSpiderman
Stone Motif
glamorganalun
Kingshu
LordDowlais
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dragons open training sessions etc Empty Dragons open training sessions etc

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jul 2012, 3:18 pm

Seeing as the majority of the other Regions have a news thread, I guess Wales' poor relations should too.

First bit of good news is that the Dragons are hosting four open training sessions around the region. One in Caerphilly, one in Blaenavon, one in Ebbw Vale and one in Newport. This really is so positive and I guess it's linked to the new exec on the board making us more appealing for our region.

Secondly, it appears Tondi Chavhanga is able to stay for another season with us after his visa issues seem sorted (according to his twitter feed).

After the negative vibe of last season, it does seem that we are (at the minute) starting on a positive footing with the announcements coming from the region.

Back to top Go down

Dragons open training sessions etc Empty Re: Dragons open training sessions etc

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jul 2012, 3:20 pm

What are you season ticket sales like so far ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 25 Jul 2012, 3:21 pm

A few weeks ago they were up on where they were last year apparently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 25 Jul 2012, 3:48 pm

To be fair are dragons going to be any good this year?

I know every Dragons fan hopes for a good year, but with player changes, funding issues etc will we see they Battling to be the best of the rest?

Ie, Who can top the bottom group in the table, of Connacht, Treviso, Dragons, and Zebre.

Have Dragons fans realistic expections of not just topping these teams but maybe one ot the other teams aiming for a top 4 finish?

To be fair I think Connacht and Teviso have improved over the last few years, Dragons used to be the best of this group but I think they may have been overtaken by those 2 teams?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jul 2012, 5:17 pm

Kingshu wrote:To be fair are dragons going to be any good this year?

I know every Dragons fan hopes for a good year, but with player changes, funding issues etc will we see they Battling to be the best of the rest?

Ie, Who can top the bottom group in the table, of Connacht, Treviso, Dragons, and Zebre.

Have Dragons fans realistic expections of not just topping these teams but maybe one ot the other teams aiming for a top 4 finish?

To be fair I think Connacht and Teviso have improved over the last few years, Dragons used to be the best of this group but I think they may have been overtaken by those 2 teams?

The Dragons have made some astute signings so far I would not expect them to finish bottom, and I think they could surprise a few people next season.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 25 Jul 2012, 5:47 pm

Risca Rev wrote:Seeing as the majority of the other Regions have a news thread, I guess Wales' poor relations should too.

First bit of good news is that the Dragons are hosting four open training sessions around the region. One in Caerphilly, one in Blaenavon, one in Ebbw Vale and one in Newport. This really is so positive and I guess it's linked to the new exec on the board making us more appealing for our region.

Secondly, it appears Tondi Chavhanga is able to stay for another season with us after his visa issues seem sorted (according to his twitter feed).

After the negative vibe of last season, it does seem that we are (at the minute) starting on a positive footing with the announcements coming from the region.

Good news only 10 years late, they may start to play some games outside of Newport such as LV games within 5 years. Sorry for being negative but I and a few others have been suggesting doing a bit more than lip service to regional rugby.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 25 Jul 2012, 5:49 pm

I didn't mean bottom, but the table sort of has split into two groups (edinburgh finish outside their group last year.

But you normally expect Dragons, Connacht Teviso and now Zebre to be the bottom 4 teams at the end of the season.

Of these it used to be Dragons that could push out of that group (bottom 2 before Italian teams joined, but I think that they have fallen back and Connacht and Teviso are the more likley ones to break out of that group.

While Dragons have made some good signings they have lost some good players as well, and at best could be said to have improved slightly, Where as Connachtand Terviso have added and look stronger than last year, Zebre/Aironi seam to have gone backwards.

I think overall the league is very competative from 2-11, and was wandering to Dragons fans have a realistic hope of overtaking one of the other regions? (prob blues), or finishing ahead of Connacht and Terviso?

Personally I think its very close between Dragons Connacht and Terviso and if Blues slip back any they could be in the same bracket.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 25 Jul 2012, 7:35 pm

To add to my previous post, the Blues have done less than the Dragons but they are talking about playing nothing games at Ponty, is this desperation because of losing money, I suspect it will not work as it is too late?

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:49 pm

glamorganalun wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:Seeing as the majority of the other Regions have a news thread, I guess Wales' poor relations should too.

Good news only 10 years late, they may start to play some games outside of Newport such as LV games within 5 years. Sorry for being negative but I and a few others have been suggesting doing a bit more than lip service to regional rugby.

Ye gods, this is hardly the first time the Dragons have taken their training sessions on the road! You'd see a lot more 'regional' stuff if you opened your eyes and had a look...I can't wait for a Dragons game away from Dave sometime soon, let's hope a suitable ground gets built sometime in the next five years.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Jul 2012, 8:13 am

I agree Stone. The Dragons have been doing a lot out in the region for years, everything from coaching clinics to school visits (which I have been involved in), to charity events to junior tournaments, etc. The only thing they haven't done is play a game out in the region. But then, show me a region that does? The Blues don't, the Scarlets don't (not since they've got rid of the North Wales area), the Dragons don't, the Ospreys have played maybe 2 or 3 LV games at The Brewery field in 10 years! We're not the only region that doesn't it, so I don't see why we're being singled out by Glamoganalun here. Again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:17 am

Is there a need to? Leinster don't play outside Dublin, Ulster Belfast and Connacht Galway. Only Munster move games between Cork and Limerick.

In truth the other 3 play in way could be called the Capital city of the Province,

In Munster the biggest city is Cork, but the main rugby area is Limerick, so it makes sense to move cames between them.

If in the Dragons region there was a bigger town/city then it would make sense to move the games about.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:35 am

Things look good for the Dragons this season. And personally I am not too sure if the exiting players (bar Charteris) are really going to be too big a loss seeing the quality of players coming in. Brew was an international, Prydie is the youngest ever international, and both a physical players but Prydie can kick too. Martyn Thomas was a good winger/fullback, but Dan Evans is an international winger/fullback/fly half. Tovey was looking somewhat tired in a Dragons shirt the last few times I saw him play.

As for the embracing regionalism. I think it is hard for people who are living outside of regional boundaries to see how much effort is going into marketing the region withing their own boundaries, but I know that quite often the Scarlets getknocked for being a superclub based in a town, when they are constantly reaching out across the region. The sides need a home, and to be fair the regions were based where they area as that was the best ground/population centre for the region. Are there really any other decent (and I mean up to Rabo Standards) stadiums around the regions for the teams to wander off to? I honestly don't think there are.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:43 am

Why would they play anywhere else when they've just spent millions on a stadium ? The 'gwent' region is hardly brimming with alternative ground choices is it ? Rolling Eyes
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 26 Jul 2012, 11:28 pm

glamorganalun wrote:To add to my previous post, the Blues have done less than the Dragons but they are talking about playing nothing games at Ponty, is this desperation because of losing money, I suspect it will not work as it is too late?

Griff:

As this is a Dragons post what do you expect, I did add the above about the region that supposed to represent where I originate, so I am not singling out the Dragons as you say, All the regions are in a mess as they are not working as a businesses crowds too small, lack of sponsorship and they have been paying too much for over inflated squads (Ospreys and Blues), how long can it go on? I suspect the Dragons will be the fall guys for running a relatively tight ship compared with the others. Will the WRU do anything soon to either increase funding, change our rugby to true regional rugby (N Wales) or cut a super club, I suspect nothing until it gets worse.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:13 am

Alun - I think the WRU will see how things go this season. News from all four regions about ticket sales is looking positive, with the trimmed down squads for most the regions (due to the cap) and what appears to be better marketing. It will be interesting to see that the financial standings of the regions will be come the end of the season. I appreciate that they will not be back in black, however I have a feeling they should all be making a step in the right direction.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 27 Jul 2012, 10:29 am

As SS says crowds are up, and there seems to be more fans from around the region for most of the regions.

There's less over paid NWQ players, it's looking like more youngsters will be given a go and from the disenchantment last season for the Blues and Dragons (and Ospreys at the start/mid season, and Scarlets when Nige left), there seems a lot of optimism.

Also there's only 1 A grade (or is it A*?) rated stadium in the Scarlets region, PYS so we can't move games around. The Dragons only have 2 I believe, but the other one (Ebbws?) isn't half as good as the Dave and seeing as they've spent a few million improving the stadium, they'll want to make the most of it. The Ospreys are moving a few games to Bridgend, hopefully they'll move more but it'll more than likely be LV games again as if they get their crowd numbers up they'll need to stay in the Liberty and make it easier for their biggest supporter base.
The Blues would need to smooth the waters with Ponty before playing games at Sardis.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 27 Jul 2012, 10:57 am

Unless Bridgend can suddenly accommodate all 8000+ O's season ticket holders plus the away support I can't imagine they'll be playing many hands at the Brewery from now on...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 27 Jul 2012, 11:53 am

I really really think that when all these 'die hards' who won't attend X region's games because of *insert pathetic reason here*' finally kick the bucket then regionalism can finnally kick in properly.

All these 'thousands' *cough* of defranchised 'fans' can jog on as far as I care, if they actually exist.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:03 pm

munkian wrote:I really really think that when all these 'die hards' who won't attend X region's games because of *insert pathetic reason here*' finally kick the bucket then regionalism can finnally kick in properly.

All these 'thousands' *cough* of defranchised 'fans' can jog on as far as I care, if they actually exist.

+1

I think that is why we are starting to see more interest in the regions season upon season. Also people are seeing kids from their area stepping into their regional colours and understanding that it is a region and not a club
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 27 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm

We'll have a generation of fans soon that will have only ever known regionalism thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 27 Jul 2012, 9:18 pm

Or not as we don't have regional rugby as the crowds prove, we will have a generation only watching Wales play or more likely watching and playing football. At this time I still don't think it is too late but the WRU must get off it's hands and do something as the game is bust in more ways than one!

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sat 28 Jul 2012, 12:59 am

What you mean with crowds improving and better than the club rugby before it that it's a failure because the regions aren't matching Wales' crowds - which have always been better and have always attracted football fans/non-sport fans.

Also the game was bust (ie broke) that's why they moved to regionalism as the game was dying and the WRU was broke, now the WRU has it's finances in order and is making money that it is investing back into rugby and its infrastructure while all the regions profit sheets are improving, ie income is up and their decreasing costs.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 28 Jul 2012, 7:46 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
munkian wrote:I really really think that when all these 'die hards' who won't attend X region's games because of *insert pathetic reason here*' finally kick the bucket then regionalism can finnally kick in properly.

+1

I think that is why we are starting to see more interest in the regions season upon season. Also people are seeing kids from their area stepping into their regional colours and understanding that it is a region and not a club

Thats a bit rich, at least you have a pro club who you can identify with, I wonder how you pair would feel if it was one of your regions that was disbanded, also I am not going to get into the argument with a Scarlets fan after the way Llanelli got stand alone status. Look, I will support any region but do not go telling people to jog on when you have not been in their situation. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 28 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

munkian wrote: *insert pathetic reason here*

What, like this?

LordDowlais wrote:

at least you have a pro club who you can identify with

Had exactly the same comment after a Wales match from a 'disenfranchised' Ebbw Vale fan. Even if what he was saying wasn't risible enough, he was wearing a Man Utd shirt at the time.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 29 Jul 2012, 7:57 am

Stone Motif wrote:
munkian wrote: *insert pathetic reason here*

What, like this?

LordDowlais wrote:

at least you have a pro club who you can identify with

Had exactly the same comment after a Wales match from a 'disenfranchised' Ebbw Vale fan. Even if what he was saying wasn't risible enough, he was wearing a Man Utd shirt at the time.

Look Stone Motif, I am not going to get into an argument with you on this as I support all four Welsh regions because I am a Welsh rugby supporter. But for people who tell others what they should be doing when it comes to who they support is just plain arrogance. I take it your a Dragons fan, are you not ? How would you feel if the Dragons were disbanded instead of the Warriors ? Then we have Scarlets fans on here saying the same thing and after what they did to the WRU to get stand alone status then having the WRU to bail them out when things got sticky, this all smacks of arrogance, put yourself in other peoples shoes before you start judging them for their motives and who they should be supporting, people should show a little bit more understanding to others before they make their comments on here and show a little more empathy to others before they accuse people of being narrow minded. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sun 29 Jul 2012, 9:41 am

+1

There are a number of posters on here that don't seem to know the fact that their club is in financial trouble and unlikely to ever be a viable business. The WRU needs to make changes by offering franchises by offering tenders to bid for each franchise including one in N Wales and three down south/mid Wales. If nothing happens I can see the WRU losing money to bail out the 4 clubs undoing all the good work by the WRU.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 29 Jul 2012, 1:33 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
Look Stone Motif, I am not going to get into an argument with you on this as I support all four Welsh regions because I am a Welsh rugby supporter. But for people who tell others what they should be doing when it comes to who they support is just plain arrogance. I take it your a Dragons fan, are you not ? How would you feel if the Dragons were disbanded instead of the Warriors ? Then we have Scarlets fans on here saying the same thing and after what they did to the WRU to get stand alone status then having the WRU to bail them out when things got sticky, this all smacks of arrogance, put yourself in other peoples shoes before you start judging them for their motives and who they should be supporting, people should show a little bit more understanding to others before they make their comments on here and show a little more empathy to others before they accuse people of being narrow minded. OK

Exactly my point really. I'm not telling anyone to do this or that, I really don't care who people CHOOSE to support. The point it that it is all down to personal CHOICE. People make their own choices and what get's my goat is when they harp on with these fantasies about representation and enfranchisement (often citing mythological events in the process, e.g. 'Newport' standing alone and forcing out poor little Ebbw Vale) as if there is some great conspiracy to denude Wales of top-level representation in favour of certain clubs. You can't blame the regions for representing economic realities, the game is now professional, and there are only certain spots in Wales that can potentially sustain it. One of those is Newport, as you point out, and one of those wasn't Pontypridd. It's hard, and I understand that many people can't face what they perceive to be an old rival taking their place, but again this is all down to what individuals choose to believe.

Personally I think the 'disenfranchised' fall into two camps. One is the good old Welsh parochialist who thrives on our national obsession with seeing a slight where there is none, that comes from being a small neighbour of big bad England. The other is representative of the fact that most of Wales ' first sporting interest is football so they are used to choosing their team based on who they think is the best, hence why I can't go to the shops in Risca without seeing some fat ponce in an Ospreys shirt and fifty-six footie shirts for every one of those. People are free to support who they like but let's call a spade a spade instead of martyring ourselves over it.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 29 Jul 2012, 1:48 pm

glamorganalun wrote:+1

There are a number of posters on here that don't seem to know the fact that their club is in financial trouble and unlikely to ever be a viable business. The WRU needs to make changes by offering franchises by offering tenders to bid for each franchise including one in N Wales and three down south/mid Wales. If nothing happens I can see the WRU losing money to bail out the 4 clubs undoing all the good work by the WRU.

Exactly the kind of wilful self-delusion that I mean. What good work by the WRU!!! The WRU have got the regions working exactly how they want them to, developing players for Team Wales, and sod the level below. Franchises will never work as they will want success in their own right in return for their investment and the WRU won't have it as it will threaten their cash cow.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2012, 9:45 am

It's always going to be Country before club and always should be, people apsire to play for Wales, not for just for clubs.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 30 Jul 2012, 10:30 am

LordDowlais wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:

+1

Thats a bit rich, at least you have a pro club who you can identify with, I wonder how you pair would feel if it was one of your regions that was disbanded, also I am not going to get into the argument with a Scarlets fan after the way Llanelli got stand alone status. Look, I will support any region but do not go telling people to jog on when you have not been in their situation. OK

Lord what Pro-Club has Pembrokeshire ever had as a county. I am from Milford Haven, the closest we have ever had to a real pro club was when Narbeth made it to the first division, and that was after regionalism.

Regionalism has given people from Pembrokeshire, and Cardiganshire a team we can call our own. We have to travel stupid distances (i travel a 120 mile round trip to PYS every other week) to get to our regions home ground but it is ours. If people who live right on the doorstep of regions have a chip on their shoulder about having to travel a few extra miles to see a match, I have no time for them. I appreciate it must have been a real kick in the teeth for the Warriors and they were shafted, but I would hazard a guess that the people who were in the warriors region, have an easier and quicker journey to their 'new' region than people of Pembrokeshire/Cardiganshire do to PYS, so the ex-warriors do have regionalism on their doorsteps still (well front garden gates maybe).

Nobody is saying 'jog on' to anyone. What we are saying is that regionalism is being taken to heart by the younger generation, however it will never really be taken to heart fully until those who still wish they had a major team on their door step (and to hell with anyone else) stop grumbling (which sadly will probably be when they reach the grave in most cases).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2012, 11:58 am

+ 1

I did say 'jog on' to be fair but it was aimed more at people who won't go see a team just because it has Newport in the name or not based in their small town completely lacking decent stadia and infrastructure.

Should Newport Gwent Dragons just be called The Dragons ? Yeah, sure, why not, it's not just Newport rugby club and Gwent doesn't really exist anymore.

Does having Newport in the name and being based in a city encourage more investment ? Darn tootin' it does.

Should Newport in the name stop people supporting their regions ? Only if they are really that bitter and shallow. Nobody chants Newport anymore at Dragons games, not for the last 3 or 4 years anyway. The are always referred to as just Dragons by the announcer at the ground and by the fans.

I've been to Cardiff Blues games lots of times and there are still 'Keeeeerdifff' chants

Scarlets are just Llanelli. No shocker there but as ScarletSpiderman said - its the only pro club Pembrokeshire have ever had and ever likely to get.

Not going to regional games and spreading negativity achieves nothing.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 30 Jul 2012, 3:49 pm

Eastern Dragons would be better i think.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2012, 4:02 pm

Why not just Dragons ? It's only Sky Commentatators that call them Newport but they know as much about Celtic rugby as Hersh
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Jul 2012, 4:07 pm

Look, I support all our regions, I do not have a season ticket for any region because I like to look at the up and coming fixtures and cherry pick which one's I like to go and see. But what really gets my back up is when people who have had their respective regions from day one to support have a go at people for not getting behind their region when they do not know what it is like to have their teem taken from them. I would hazard a guess that Munkian and ScarletSpiderman supported both Newport and Llanelli before regionalisation and are now getting on their soap box and having a go at people for not making enough effort and telling them to stop feeling sorry for themselves, its a bit like a spoilt child who has a millionaire farther telling a street urchin that he should be thankful for what he has got. Look I stopped feeling sorry for myself and being angry about a season after the Warriors were disbanded, then I started again for a bit when the Scarlets were bailed out, but now I am totally o.k with rugby but people should have a little bit more empathy towards people when they have not been through what others have. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2012, 4:22 pm

I have never been to a Newport RFC match or supported them I'm afraid to say.

If you go to regional matches then great ! I've only just got my first ever season ticket.

It's people who gripe and moan and don't go see anyone that grind my gears or claim they are 'one of thousands' that refuse to support the Dragons because of the Newport monicker. Man up
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 30 Jul 2012, 5:57 pm

O.k Munkian, so you have never been to a Newport RFC game. Might I ask, how long have you supported the Dragons for ? Now, how would you feel if you were told that the WRU have decided to disband the Dragons and you were then told that you must now go and support the Blues as they are now going to cover Gwent as the Blues "region" ? Would you buy a season ticket for the Blues ? Would you like to be told by others who still have regions that you should just grow up and get behind "your" region ? Look, I am chuffed for you that you have a team to affiliate yourself with and pat you on the back for commiting to a season ticket, but I am just playing devils advocate on this and asking you and others to put yourself in other people position before you start making comments on how people should be supporting Welsh rugby. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 30 Jul 2012, 6:40 pm

I think you are taking my comment rather personally mate, I've explained what type of person it was aimed at Hug

And didn't the warriors go into administration because no one went ?

I agree the regions were drawn up by an idiot with no idea of Welsh geography or provincialism but its 10 years on nearly and we have to support what we have.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 31 Jul 2012, 9:52 am

LOrd - Yeah I was a Llanelli RFC fan as they made an effort to reach the people of pembs (but again different arguement that has been done to death). I am having a dig at anyone for not supporting a region, I try to keep up on all of the regions, and have been to see the Blues playing in the HEC, and the Dragons in the LV= because I was in the area and wanted to watch a game of rugy. I am not having a dig at the ex-warriors fans, as I said I do feel for them, and I am definately not trying to have a dig at you. However I am having more of a dig at the anti-regional fans.

However I am getting a little tired of there being the same anti-rgional stuff posted such as

1 - Complaining about the regions not reaching out to the communities -: There are not enough high quality stadiums within most of the regions to spread the matches around. Even the Ospreys who had two good stadiums are going to come unstuck next season, as they have shifted more season tickets than the Brewery Field can hold. It makes economic sense to have a base where the majority of the population and wealth of a region is, which would be Newport, Cardiff, Swansea and Llanelli.

Also then if you were to talk to people from within the regional boundaries, you would find that the regions are doing their best to reach out to all the communities within their catchment areas. They attend events around their regions, hold training sessions around clubs in their areas etc. This is not widely publicised in the press outside of the region, because lets face it "Dragons hold under 12s training cap at Corss Keys" ain't as interesting a story as "Henson is not a stunt".

2 - The constant calling Region "Super Clubs" -:

As stated above the regions are trying to embrace their whole catchment areas, and they all are now calling up players from all of their feeder teams. It tends to be those who want to see the regions disbanded and clubs brought back that use the superclub arguement, which seems hypocritical to me.

3 - Slating attendances -:

Since attendances that the regions are getting are higher than those of any club pre-regionalism. The regions are selling season tickets at a rate of knots, and that seems to be improving season upson season.

4 - Claiming that regioinalism is not helping the domestic or national game

Since regionalism we have a collective haul of

3 Grandslams
1 RWC Semi-fianl
5 Celtic League Champions (and a handful of 2nd places)
2 Anglo-Welsh Cup Champions (and a team in all bar 2 finals)
1 Amlin Cup Champion (and a few semi-finals)
2 HEC Semi-finalist, getting there unbeat in the tournament (and numerous Quarterfinals)

I think it is fair to say that in terms of winning things regionalism has been very successful.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 31 Jul 2012, 9:59 am

thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:08 am

munkian wrote: thumbsup

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

I am not arguing about sucsess at the regions, I just want you all to put yourelves in other people positions before you get on your soap box about them, if anything, as I have been in the situation and have now come around about it, it is only people like me who can get on their soap box, but you do not here me going on about it on here do you. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:16 am

I don't think Munkian or SS were telling you (and other ex-Warriors fans) that you should be supporting the Blues/Dragons Lord Dowlais, and by the sound of it you go to a variety of different regional games to watch pro rugby.

thumbsup

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:21 am

Lord - IMO I was in your position pre-regionalism, not being represented in anyway shape or form, and as such I do kind of understand the reason certain folk are anti-regionalism.

This thread was started as a thread to point out all the good and positive new about the Dragons and their region before the season kicked off. But got turned into another regional v anti-regional arguement. So I will stand down and stop arguing.

Also best of luck to the Dragons for the coming season. Looking at the players they have brought into the backline I think it could be a good season, providing their pack can secure the ball on their own put ins.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:24 am

I'm still not convinced that Dan Evans is better than Martyn Thomas as he's too inconsistent (though I suppose he should be fit for the whole season).

I also think they (and the Blues) have missed a trick in not signing Liam Davies as he was a very good option at SH for us last season

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 31 Jul 2012, 10:32 am

Smirnoffpriest wrote:I'm still not convinced that Dan Evans is better than Martyn Thomas as he's too inconsistent (though I suppose he should be fit for the whole season).

I also think they (and the Blues) have missed a trick in not signing Liam Davies as he was a very good option at SH for us last season

We'll have Tom and Steff too mind
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:30 am

Martyn Thomas was nothing if not consistent last season mind. He consistently ran up blind alleys and took the wrong option every time i saw him and looked consistently like a poor man's Morgan Stoddart. Looking forward to Evans Prydie and hopefully Amos freshening up the position.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:40 am

LordDowlais wrote:I am not arguing about sucsess at the regions, I just want you all to put yourelves in other people positions before you get on your soap box about them, if anything, as I have been in the situation and have now come around about it, it is only people like me who can get on their soap box, but you do not here me going on about it on here do you. OK

"its a bit like a spoilt child who has a millionaire farther telling a street urchin that he should be thankful for what he has got."

Yeah you aren't going on about it at all mind.

Lord, log onto a social networking site and join the Valleys Rugby page. Your whining will be welcomed with open arms. OK
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 31 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

Stone Motif wrote:Martyn Thomas was nothing if not consistent last season mind. He consistently ran up blind alleys and took the wrong option every time i saw him and looked consistently like a poor man's Morgan Stoddart. Looking forward to Evans Prydie and hopefully Amos freshening up the position.

He weren't that bad. It is a shame though, because in my opinion he was pushing for national honours before snapping his ankle. Gats was keen on persisting with Hook or an out of sorts Byrne at full back though. I hope we have seen the last of those days. Also looking forward to Evans, Prydie and Amos competing for the same jersey.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:04 pm

Stone - I didn't mean Martyn was inconsistent, I meant that IMO Dan Evans is inconsistent, and I imagine he'll be used at FB more than Fly Half, and Prydie would be used at wing, with Steffan and Robling fighting it out at flyhalf.

As such I think Martyn is a better FB than Dan Evans and the Dragons are weaker because of this.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

Smirnoff - I think that Dan will be more consistant when he is played more often. He was on very concsistant back when he was playing most of our games, and was IMO looking like one of the best fullbacks in Wales (behind Byrne around the time of the Lions). Fingers crossed he will be able to find that sort of form again (well after playing against us).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next