The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth?

+5
hampo17
matth7
Smirnoffpriest
JamesLincs
Adam D
9 posters

Go down

Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth? Empty Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth?

Post by Adam D Fri 17 Aug 2012, 11:38 am

Great article here from our newest v2 Journal writer to join (Tom Pearsall):

The transfer of Robin Van Persie from Arsenal to Manchester United has been agreed. The fee is thought to be around £24 million with Van Persie set to sign a 4-year contract. Van Persie scored 30 league goals last season with Arsenal being extremely reliant upon his services. However, this is just the ‘tip of the iceberg’, the initial reaction to most fans and onlookers is that it is a fantastic bit of business by Sir Alex Ferguson, however when you delve deeper does £24 million offer good value for money for an injury prone striker? To continue, what does this transfer mean for Arsenal? Do they have the firepower in place to compromise an alternative to their influential captain? Finally, does the sale of Van Persie to one of their fiercest rivals suggest an acceptance from Arsene Wenger that they are not title contenders this season? Therefore, does his Arsenal record give him legendary status at the Emirates, or is his reputation as a prolific world class striker a myth? All these questions will look to be answered here.

Good Business for Manchester United?
30 goals in 38 games last season was a phenomenal achievement for the Dutch star. However, although Robin Van Persie’s talent is not in doubt here, his consistency is a lot to be desired if his Arsenal history is to be taken as evidence. The 2011/2012 season for example was the first season where he was able to score more than 20 goals in a league campaign, however these past statistics seem to have been clouded by his more recent exploits. The seven seasons previous to that since his arrival in 2004, Van Persie only averaged 9 Premier League goals a season, hardly warranting a £24 million transfer fee for a player in his last year of contract. However, it is important not to overlook his obvious talents. Van Persie is without doubt an extremely endowed footballer, however I am questioning the dependability at which he is able to deliver this ability. If Van Persie is match fit for another full season, then £24 million is a bargain, and the combination of Rooney and Van Persie will surely lead Manchester United to Premier League glory, however if Van Persie slips back into another injury struck year, then his activities in the Arsenal shirt may soon be forgotten. Alex Ferguson speaking at a Press Conference said that “In 1999 I had Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the four best strikers in Europe, We are going towards that now with Javier Hernandez, Wayne Rooney, Robin, Danny Welbeck and Shinji Kagawa”. This definetley coincides with the history of United under Sir Alex, preferring strength in depth and the benefits of the entire squad, rather than a blistering starting XI followed by mediocre replacements. As an endnote, 96 goals in 194 Premier League appearances reinforces the pure goal scoring talent that Van Persie clearly possesses, at United RVP will not be under as much pressure to play week in week out, meaning less stress on his injuries unlike at Arsenal.

What happens to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger now?
The sale of Arsenal’s most prized asset to their long standing rival Manchester United will strike deeply into the hearts of all Gunner fans out there, not to mention Arsene Wenger himself. Arsenal have been the victim of their lack of trophies, with the likes of Samir Nasri, Cesc Fabregas and now Robin Van Persie all leaving to secure trophies and success, something that Arsenal has not been able to deliver. In my mind, there is no doubt that this transfer represents an admittance from Arsene Wenger that his side are not ready for Premier League success once again. The signings of Santi Cazorla, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud are all exciting additions, but they are not enough to carry this Arsenal team forward towards title glory. Arsenal will have to find 30 goals from somewhere to maintain a challenge on the top four Champions League places. I am confident that with the supply of Cazorla and hopefully Wilshere, the likes of Giroud and Podolski will easily surpass this target, however there is no doubt that Van Persie’s departure will induce the whole club into a footballing hangover. However, it is not Dutch courage (excuse the pun) that will wrestle Arsenal out if its slumber, but a combination of teamwork and investment to replace their captain. Arsene Wenger has proven critics wrong many times before and you wouldn’t bet against him clutching another 18 year-old wonder kid to enlighten Gunners’ hearts once more.

Legend or Myth?
Here’s the question, should Robin Van Persie be regarded as a legendary purchase, a hero amongst the Arsenal faithful, possibly in the same bracket as the great Thierry? If Arsenal fans let their hearts rule over their heads, the answer would be yes. However, I do believe Van Persie has the potential to be a legendary player, competing with the likes of Ronaldo and Messi at the pinnacle of the game, but his ability to deliver season after season is what I doubt. With this perspective, it could be said that this piece of business was shrewd by Arsene, if RVP had joined Juventus then yes I would agree. Conversely he has joined United. What are the odds on a RVP hat trick at the Emirates next season?!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth? Empty Re: Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth?

Post by JamesLincs Fri 17 Aug 2012, 12:14 pm

i think most will say the same in that its a minor gain for united but a major blow for arsenal

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth? Empty Re: Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth?

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 17 Aug 2012, 3:35 pm

I think it's a bit harsh on RVP to say that "past statisitics have been clouded by recent exploits" as further on you've pointed out that he's scored 96 goals in 196 games (but has a much better average overall, around a 2 goals in every 3 games ratio). And that is despite being injured for large parts of seasons, or repeatedly finding good form then being whisked away for international duty, played in to the ground and returning injured. He could well have been considered up there with Messi or Ronaldo if he'd stayed fit consistently.

I think Arsenal have done very well to get £24m for a 29 year old with 1 year left on his contract. But at the same time it's another top player whose left Arsenal in summer, another to a rival (and RVP was a great Arsenal player). And now instead of having an embarrassment of attacking riches, and a very potent attack, we are now relying totally on 2 new signings, with little out and out strikers behind them (we'll have Walcott & Gervinho).

We then still need to strengthen our DM and defence, but are sending out the message that we can't keep hold of our best players and can't compete!
It's not a good situation to be in. Regardless of the fact that I feel Wenger has been very shrewd with this transfer, and has got a very good deal.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 18 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

http://v2journal.com/robin-van-persie-the-talismanic-striker-a-legend-or-a-myth.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Robin Van Persie the Talismanic Striker, a legend or a myth? Empty Robin Van Persie

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 11:18 am

By far the signing of the summer so far, people will argue he cost alot, but for 24 million pounds, i think that's a bargain consdiering how much go for in the modern transfer market, he will score goals for us and i'm delighted he has joined us, the rooney- Van Persie combination is an exciting one and i can't wait until they play together.

I can see where the manager has come from in regards by comparing RVP to Cantona, although the king cost less than the dutchman did, and to be fair we have alot of young players in our team like De Gea, Smalling, Cleverley, Jones, Kagwa, Powell, Rafael, Fabio ( when he comes back from his loan at QPR ) and many more, this is a masterstroke of a signing by the manager and i think Van Persie will be top scorer and help us to get our trophy back.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Sun 19 Aug 2012, 11:27 am

no doubt a big signing, decent value, will get goals.

but you dont need him

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 11:29 am

Can you keep him injury free? He's only played 30 league games once which must be a worry.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 11:58 am

Hampo171 - yes we can, i don't think he'll play every game for us this season, he'll be rested more than he was at Arsenal in my opinion.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:03 pm

I'm not in the camp that United don't need Van Persie, they've been crying out for a World Class striker to play alongside Rooney since Ronaldo left, Welbeck is a good player but nowhere near that level at this stage and Hernandez doesn't do enough to justify a regular starting berth

I also don't think he's to expensive, the money for players is ridiculous now but paying £24m for a top striker in his prime who just won the player of the year isn't over priced regardless of how long he's got left on his contracrt, Berbatov was overpriced, RVP isn't

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

The-Gaffer i agree with you, teams will be afraid of playing us now that we've got RVP, before teams use to think it was easy to get points off us especially when we were away, but with him, Kagawa and Rooney, that has the potenitasl to be better than Ronaldo Rooney and Tevez.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:15 pm

24m when his contract has a year to run and hes 29 isn't good value at all
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

GSC - Yes it is, he won the player of the awards last season, although 24 million pounds is a lot of money on a striker, at least we didn't overpay for him.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:24 pm

...Yes you did. The whole 1 year left on his deal thing.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:29 pm

GSC - and ? Alot of clubs were interested in him, inluding Man City, i'm sure if he had signed for them you would've had a different view no offence.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:31 pm

Guess I'm ABU Dhabi or whatever it is again picard

24m for a 29 year old striker with 1 year to run on his deal is overpaying whoever it is
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:33 pm

its not, he's a world-class striekr pqaying 35 million for a striker now that's overpaying.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

Have a funny feeling you'd be saying what GSC is saying had be signed for City Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:38 pm

Laugh

But no, regardless of who paid it he was overpaid. Thats why Arsenal dug in to get their price.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:40 pm

Hampo1971 - True, but i'm glad we've got him.

GSC - Arsene Wenger said he would'bve rather sold him to PSG than to us.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:41 pm

That doesn't change anything.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:42 pm

matth7 wrote:Hampo1971 - True, but i'm glad we've got him.

Then you admit to bias and theres no point going forward with this
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:43 pm

hampo1971 - yeha i admit i'm biased but the Rooney - Van Persie partnership ahs the potenital to be up there with Cole- Yorke.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm

If he bangs in the goals that help deliver Utd another Champions League then yes he can maybe be regarded as a bargain.

I would have fancied Utd to have contested for the PL with or without him. You're always going to be a high scoring team anyway. It's your defence that's the worry. Bar Vidic it's distinctly average.

Back to top Go down

Post by matth7 Sun 19 Aug 2012, 1:39 pm

freekshow - don't forget Smalling and Jones are out injured at the moment and have the potential to be the next Ferdinand - Vidic, and Evans did well last season.

matth7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:54 pm

GSC wrote:24m when his contract has a year to run and hes 29 isn't good value at all

Of course it is, saying otherwise comes across as very bitter, paying only £24m for someone with his ability in the prime of their career is great value, it's like you believe that United need to sign a player with a sell on value which simply isn't true, his goals and all round game can help guys in the team improve and help them contine to challenge at home and in Europe which will pay back his fee well before his contract runs out

It really amuses me to see people claim 'value' as some kind of argument

Last edited by the-gaffer on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 19 Aug 2012, 3:55 pm

Because your manager has moaned about value in the market for a while now?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 19 Aug 2012, 4:01 pm

You're spot on about one thing, My manager does moan about the value in the market but that's because we're lucky if we've got £5m per year to spend unless we make the Champions League or sell a player

Alex Ferguson on the otherhand always likes a moan, that doesn't or shouldn't stop him from splashing out on the right player if and/or when he becomes available

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 19 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

Theres no way RVP will be in the same bracket as Henry and nor should he be. However its the sort of deal that could favour both clubs. If Arsenals new forwards can deliver consistently then RVP will be forgotten about and 24 million will seem like good business. If Arsenal struggle in front of goal then it will put pressure on Wenger. 24 million is a risk for a player that is as injury prone as van Persie but Utd have the forward line now to rotate and I would not expect Van Persie to be under the same pressure to provide goals as he was at Utd and he will also be rested regularly.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Sun 19 Aug 2012, 8:19 pm

It is an awful lot of money or a 29 year old, with 1 year left on his contract who has had quite serious injury problems in the past. Also, a 4 year contract could be risky.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordy Sun 19 Aug 2012, 8:39 pm

Its ironic that Arsenals first game of the season has seen them fail to score and convert chances. Arsenal fans must be wondering "what if?" already.

Gordy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 8:43 pm

Gordy wrote:Its ironic that Arsenals first game of the season has seen them fail to score and convert chances. Arsenal fans must be wondering "what if?" already.

They drew their opening game last season 0-0. No reason to panic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:12 pm

Yeah Arsenal have failed to convert plenty of chances before, with and without RVP playing, it's their style of play and the fact lots of teams sit back with 10 players behind the ball closing down space which sometimes makes Arsenal draw a blank.
People have (and will continue until at least xmas) just been looking for an easy link to Arsenal missing RVP.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:15 pm

Goals never have and never will be Arsenal's problem. There will still be games where they score 4,5 and 6 goals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:18 pm

FreekShow wrote:Goals never have and never will be Arsenal's problem. There will still be games where they score 4,5 and 6 goals.

Yup, unfortunately there will still be games when we have 20-odd chances and fail to score, like yesterdays

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:24 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Goals never have and never will be Arsenal's problem. There will still be games where they score 4,5 and 6 goals.

Yup, unfortunately there will still be games when we have 20-odd chances and fail to score, like yesterdays

True, you do sometimes try to over play so to speak. At least your 0-0's are entertaining!

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Sun 19 Aug 2012, 9:43 pm

True, true we've come along way from the George Graham days...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down