The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin - Next big MW star?

+3
trenchtownbaboon
TheMackemMawler
Boxtthis
7 posters

Go down

Golovkin - Next big MW star? Empty Golovkin - Next big MW star?

Post by Boxtthis Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:24 pm

There's been some chatter recently about Kazakhstani middleweight Gennedy Golovkin being the next big thing. I just read this glowing report on his sparring sessions on the Ring online and thought it'd be worth sharing:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/174431-gym-notes-giant-killer-golovkin-looks-ready-for-proksa

He fights Proksa soon, who himself is no mug. It's funny how it's swings and roundabouts with weight divisions. Not so long ago the MW division was particularly thin on the ground. Now I find myself seriously looking forward to watching Martinez vs JCC jr - and then to seeing how Golovkin gets himself in the mix. The guys got a serious amateur pedigree and also sounds like a fearsome puncher.

Thoughts?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Golovkin - Next big MW star? Empty Re: Golovkin - Next big MW star?

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat 25 Aug 2012, 6:34 pm

already a star, even if not among the general public.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by trenchtownbaboon Sat 25 Aug 2012, 8:08 pm

Golovkin is a pure animal I would put money on him beating all the top middle weights in the division.
trenchtownbaboon
trenchtownbaboon

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 25 Aug 2012, 8:29 pm

He is the star of the middleweights from the look of him and should get through proska although it won't be easy

Golovkin is quick, powerful, skilful, smart, everything you come to expect from someone with his amater pedigree

Providing he wins the Proska fight he goes up against the Pirog or the Sturm-Geale winner which would put him on good grounds and puts himself in a position where fans will put pressure on the Chavez-Martinez winner to fight him

He destroys Chavez IMO, he is used to fighting cruiser weights and has the power and aggression to hurt Chavez as chavez is there to hit and once e can't bully his opponents he looks a little lost

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 25 Aug 2012, 10:06 pm

i worry about him been able to get the big fights. high risk little reward type of fighter. barring martinez i'd say golovkin is the be.st fighter at MW

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 26 Aug 2012, 6:38 pm

I don't personally think he beats Martinez, stylistically he's all wrong for him in my own personal opinion. That being said, I don't think Martinez is looking at Golovkin, I believe Martinez is looking at Floyd Mayweather after Chavez. Also Martinez probably won't be around for TOO much longer also.

However, outside of those I would say he has a very strong chance of beating everyone else in the division, the likes of the Andy Lee's, Darren Barker's and Matthew Macklins etc. aren't good enough, and to be honest I could see them being poleaxed, perhaps certain guys like Zbik and Chavez JR. could ask questions but I really don't think they would beat him.

We perhaps saying a slight bit too much prematurely as I thought he seriously struggled against someone with a bit of movement with Kassim Ouma. (Why I think Martinez would give him fits.)

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:15 pm

I wouldn't pick anyone at middleweight to beat him, he is an absolute tank and I think he is going to beat Proska from pillar to post. Golovkin KOed someone in the first round that took Arthur Abraham the distance. He also has a stellar amateur pedigree as well.

Martinez vs Golovkin would be very interesting, I wouldn't want to bet on that fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:16 pm

Rumour has it he battered Canelo from pillar to post as well, don't think he will want too much to do with him when he moves up either.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 26 Aug 2012, 11:18 pm

What do we all think about the Proska fight? I honestly think if he fights with his hands down he is going to take a real beating. Proska is going to have to show something he hasn't in his past fights to win this one.

I'm going for Golovkin by knockout.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 27 Aug 2012, 5:09 am

Proska's a good mover and I think he can cause a lot of problems because Golovkin is a tad slow. I think he will cause problems early but Proska's defence will be his downfall and the power getting to him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down