The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win.

+6
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
azania
AlexHuckerby
BoxingFan88
sparxz
hampo17
10 posters

Go down

Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win. Empty Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win.

Post by hampo17 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:40 pm

Russian light-heavyweight Sergey Kovalev produced a tremendous display of power punching once again to destroy the highly regarded former WBA champion, Gabriel Campillo. Campillo never really got going in the fight, and was constantly taking right hands from the Russian from the very start.

The fight was halted during the 3rd round after 'KO Kovalev' dropped his man for the 3rd time in the round. Kovalev now moves to 20 wins with 18 KOs and is on the brink of fighting for one of the light-heavyweight titles.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win. Empty Re: Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win.

Post by sparxz Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:46 pm

Well you can be sure Cleverly will be avoiding him like the plague then lol. If this guy can Bang im sure Tony Bellow would want a scrap at him.

sparxz

Back to top Go down

Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win. Empty Re: Sergey Kovalev produces another explosive win.

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

Wow, that is a seriously impressive win, I need to find a video of that fight.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 6:49 pm

https://youtu.be/rJCWrDPG2GI

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:05 pm

Didn't know this but one of his opponents died after a fight in 2011.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/09-12-2011/119906-russian_boxer-0/

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:07 pm

Cheers mate, that was really impressive stuff!!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:08 pm

I saw the footage when it happened, but I didn't realise it was the same guy.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

Yeah posted on the other thread he was the one who killed the guy in the ring,great win last night. Brilliant performance, did everything right and when he had Campillo in trouble he never let him go.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:22 pm

Another fighter who Warren will say was offered huge money but turned it down. Why is everyone ducking Clev and only nurses appear to have the 'nads to fight him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:39 pm

Really good win for him and I rate Campillo very highly

However, based on the YouTube video it sounds like he had a really poor camp and at his age and the fact he is a slow starter anyway a quick knockout sounded like it was very possible

He has a European style but has decent movement and throws quick hard combo's which makes him dangerous for all the top guys and I doubt we will see Clev in with this guy anytime soon

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:53 pm

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs wrote:Really good win for him and I rate Campillo very highly

However, based on the YouTube video it sounds like he had a really poor camp and at his age and the fact he is a slow starter anyway a quick knockout sounded like it was very possible

He has a European style but has decent movement and throws quick hard combo's which makes him dangerous for all the top guys and I doubt we will see Clev in with this guy anytime soon

Bet you Bellew will have a piece of him though, he isn't afraid of anyone.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Jan 2013, 7:55 pm

Seems to be aiming for a mandatory position of Dawsons WBC Belt.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 8:09 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote: Bet you Bellew will have a piece of him though, he isn't afraid of anyone.

Dont see why not he seems ambitious and doesn't seem afraid of anyone, as Alex said he's trying to position himself for a mandatory shot against Dawson who is still the best LHW in the world

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:07 pm

apparently his next fight is an eliminator for a shot a dawson.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

Never seen him box until now but he looks really good. Obviously very powerful.

At times he puts a lot into the jab, so much so, that his back foot comes off the ground (rather than transferring weight onto it) therefore he loses power in his back hand during a 1-2. Not that it really matters, huge puncher.

His best right hands though (and most powerful) are when he throws it as a lead. Weird.

TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:46 pm

Transference of weight Mackem, you said it yourself.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 9:54 pm

Liked his body work, especially the straight right to the body which he throws with alot behind it and is a really smart tactic to use against a slick but ageing southpaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:02 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Transference of weight Mackem, you said it yourself.

Yeah i know. I just find weird that he chooses to lose power in his back hand during a one-two in favour a really hard jab.

You'd think he'd throw a conventional jab and set up the right hand, rather than throw the normally difficult to lead right? He seems to have the speed and timing so I guess it doesn't matter. Normally you have to be a bit special to land the lead rear hand at will (e.g Rigo and Mayweather) perhaps Kolorov is a bit special too?

Thanks for the link Hampo, I hadn't heard of this guy.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:05 pm

Clev is gonna bust this guy up

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:10 pm

Rigo and Mayweather can also lead with a strong jab and follow it up with a strong right hand but from a technical point of view the pair of them are a bit special.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:13 pm

Here is the link that Hampo posted...

https://youtu.be/rJCWrDPG2GI

Can some watch this video for a few seconds, say from 10:06, and tell me what punch lands at 10:08. It makes a cracking sound, i've watched it back a couple of times but can't make it out. Is it a left uppercut?
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:16 pm

Looks like a left hook to me but I think the sound is slightly out of sync.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:23 pm

Cheers ghosty, I thought it was a left hook too, then watched it a few times and realised Kolorov has red gloves on.

You see campillo's black glove where a left hook would land and that's why I convinced myself it must have been an uppercut.

If you watch it back again see if you know what i mean.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:24 pm

Thought it was a short left hook (more due to the way Campillo moved like he had been hit by a hook rather than an uppercut) although its not easy to see as the camera view only shows the back of Campillo and it doesn't show a replay. Don't think that its an uppercut but if it is he got alot of power into it to move him asuch as he did

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:29 pm

I'm gonna say it was somewhere in between a short left hook and an uppercut!

Cheers for taking the time to have a look.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

Seemed to be a swinging hook which started quite low so I suppose a mix of a hook and uppercut but more hookish.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 20 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm

The left hook/uppercut is Canelo's signature punch and seems pretty similar to this punch although he throws it from a little further away

Back to Kovalev I'd like to see how he fares over a distance which he will have to achieve against the better fighters like Dawson etc, he has only fought 8 rounds once and given he puts alot of power into almost every punch it'll be interesting to see how he does

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down