The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling?

3 posters

Go down

Which sport requires more skill to play well?

Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Vote_lcap83%Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Vote_rcap 83% 
[ 10 ]
Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Vote_lcap17%Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Empty Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling?

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:34 am

Simple really. Lawn bowls or ten pin bowling. Which sport requires the most skill to play well?

This was mentioned on a thread in the boxing section and I thought it deserved a thread. And why not throw in a poll too. So, two simple sports where the primary aim is to roll a ball towards a target. Easy to play, difficult to master. But which one requires more skill? I would imagine that more people here have played ten pin than lawn. Will that have an effect on the poll? Let's find out.

My views:

I think lawn bowls intrinsically presents far more obstacles to overcome. The bias on the balls. The undulations on the field, if playing crown green. Having to judge length as well as line. Ten pin bowling seems to me like perfecting a technique and carrying it out over and over, with a ball that is actually round and a flat, polished lane. Lawn bowls presents a different challenge with every ball bowled. Mastering and implementing the ten pin technique repeatedly is of course not easy, especially with grease from your chicken-in-a-basket still on your fingers.

Lawn bowls takes no prisoners. Ain't no bumper lanes on the green. You aim your ball with the bias on the wrong side, it's going sideways across everyone else's game and you've got a nice walk to fetch it and plenty of apologies on your hands, mister. I've been there. It was tough. Ten pin bowling on the other hand rewards failure. Oh, you missed? Have another go. If you're smart, you'll purposely not get strikes. Otherwise you're not getting your money's worth. What kind of game is that?

Lawn bowls is more dangerous too. At the bowling alley you might have to watch out for Allen Iverson acting a berk but the fact that you have to be over 70 to play lawn bowls means you're far more likely to drop dead after taking up the sport than at any previous time in your life. With the age issue in mind, the white trousers are not ideal either. This added pressure, which has to be dealt with, convinces me even more that lawn bowls requires more skill than ten pin bowling.

Whilst I have to concede that anybody who can play ten pin to a high standard at Rock 'n' Bowl night, with all the music and lights and kids running about, must be in possession of not inconsiderable talent, it's not enough. Listening to your opponent banging on repeatedly about, but never actually getting round to saying, what Mavis said in the Miners' Welfare is far more off-putting.

For me, there's only one winner here.

Spoiler:

But what about you? Hmm?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Empty Re: Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling?

Post by Hibbz Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:19 pm

Crown green bowls is infinitely more skillful. It's a fantastic game in fact I'm staggered David Bryant wasn't involved in the GOAT poll.

Ten pin is for children's parties and the yoofs who aren't quite old enough to get served in the pub.

Besides which the risk of getting athletes foot from shared shoes should be enough to put anyone off ten pin bowling.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling? Empty Re: Which requires the most skill - bowls or bowling?

Post by Il Gialloblu Thu 21 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

Thanks for the contribution, Hibbz. OK
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 21 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm

What a question hahaha it had to be you asking it!
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down