The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney

+20
dublin_dave
funnyExiledScot
t1000advancedprototype
offload
mankiaow
dragonbreath
profitius
Notch
Scarpia
welshboii15
Knowsit17
rodders
thebluesmancometh
bedfordwelsh
Norfolklass
majesticimperialman
100%beefy
SecretFly
RubyGuby
BigTrevsbigmac
24 posters

Go down

Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney Empty Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 22:05

Edwards in line to replace Kidney

Wales defence coach Shaun Edwards is reportedly a strong contender to take over from Declan Kidney as the Ireland head coach.

The Mail on Sunday reports that the former rugby league player feels he is under-paid and not been properly rewarded for his part in Wales’ success in recent years. He is also said to be upset that he was not included as part of Warren Gatland’s coaching team for this year’s Lions tour.

Edwards has been with Wales since 2008 and helped them to Six Nations grand slams in 2008 and 2012. He was part of the Lions coaching team on the 2009 tour to South Africa and was assistant coach when London Wasps won the Heineken Cup in 2004 and 2007.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney Empty Re: Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney

Post by RubyGuby Mon 8 Apr 2013 - 23:03

Edwards would be high risk given his questionable temperament and the fact that I don't think he's been a number 1 at a top level - thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney Empty Re: Edwards a strong contender to Take over from Kidney

Post by SecretFly Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 0:01

So, Ireland, with all their current problems, take on an angry man who only wants the job to get back at Welsh rugby and his old boss, Gatland???

He wants to use Ireland as his shrink's couch? Get it all off his chest and more money too?

We'll take him - but only as defence coach under Schmidt.. Wink Think he'll bite?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 2:56

Massive step down if he takes it, he is being groomed for Gatland's job who in my view will not lead Wales at RWC 2015

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 5:18

I would be very surprised if this story is true...Sounds like a late April fools joke to be honest.

I actualy think 100%beefy could be right. Edwards is being lined up for Gatland's job after Gatland returns to New Zealand before 2015 RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 6:39

He is not right. Why would Howley be getting the caretaker's job otherwise, when we have been without Gatland?

Back to top Go down

Post by Norfolklass Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 8:15

Edwards is not a head coach. He's not even in charge of Wales' tour of Japan. He is not being groomed as Gatland's successor. He is not a serious contender for Irish coach.

Norfolklass

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 10:07

100%beefy wrote:Massive step down if he takes it, he is being groomed for Gatland's job who in my view will not lead Wales at RWC 2015

Surely Howley, not Edwards is being groomed to take over Wales after Gatland goes. Otherwise why wasn't he in charge for the 6 Nations.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 10:52

bedfordwelsh wrote:
100%beefy wrote:Massive step down if he takes it, he is being groomed for Gatland's job who in my view will not lead Wales at RWC 2015

Surely Howley, not Edwards is being groomed to take over Wales after Gatland goes. Otherwise why wasn't he in charge for the 6 Nations.

hahaha nice try beefy, despite Howley being prefered for the 6N, and Edwards missing out on lions and summer tour duties...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 11:25

Hmmnn...bit of wumming going on, methinks Smile

Schmidt or Mckensie, perhaps both. Not angry Edwards. Maybe as a defense coach, but even then I'm not too keen.

He might be the man to take the place of SL though Run

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 11:34

Edwards would be an inspired choice, played RL for Ireland too even if he's not a fan of the auld rebel music thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 11:44

..well... he'd be kinda outgunned if auld rebel music kicked off on an Irish team bus Laugh

"Oh you don't want none of our Rebel Top Ten Wolfe Tones shanties???"

Bus stops and begins to rock over and back on its suspensions as splashes of red begins to block out the windows.

...Edwards walks off calmly with a whole new team to quickly assemble before the next International Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 16:34

Almost gave me a stroke until I noticed the source was the Fail on Sunday! Phew...

Several reasons why I can't see this happening otherwise. A) Is Edwards not contracted to Wales until 2015? B) If Edwards had designs on leaving he'd have done it by now and sooner for England than Ireland considering they've expressed an interest in him no less than twice during his time in Wales, most recently after the WC preceding Lancaster's appointment. C) He's left two posts (Wasps and Irish) to commit more fully to Wales and D) he verbally reiterated his devotion to Wales following the title retention.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 16:53

Edwards would do brilliant with who ever he coaches I hope he stays with Wales because there's no other like him but if he does move to Ireland then Ireland will have someone who will give everything to the man is the reason Wales have won 2 grand slams and 1 six nations the man is god

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 17:03

SecretFly wrote:So, Ireland, with all their current problems, take on an angry man who only wants the job to get back at Welsh rugby and his old boss, Gatland???

He wants to use Ireland as his shrink's couch? Get it all off his chest and more money too?

We'll take him - but only as defence coach under Schmidt.. Wink Think he'll bite?

What exactly does he want to "get back" at Wales for?

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 18:55

Why would he coach nation who have players that view tackling as optional?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 19:16

I don't think this will happen. Not enough experience as a Head Coach.

If he wanted to jump ship he could do a lot of good with Ireland, but I don't think he'll be given a head coach role and I don't think he'd be interested in doing the job he's doing now but with Ireland so I really don't see him involved with us anytime soon.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 20:44

Scarpia wrote:
SecretFly wrote:So, Ireland, with all their current problems, take on an angry man who only wants the job to get back at Welsh rugby and his old boss, Gatland???

What exactly does he want to "get back" at Wales for?

You tell me. Or better still, read the OP, as it was his comments I was commenting on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 21:07

Sounds like a standard if not poorly thought-up fabrication on the source's part. There's no evidence to support the cited claims. As I've already said Edwards has reiterated his commitment to the Welsh set-up on more than one occasion, both verbally and by his gestures. He's turned England down twice to stay where he is, for him to jump ship now, in the aftermath of another successful campaign and for Ireland just wouldn't fit.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 21:45

viewtothegym wrote:Why would he coach nation who have players that view tackling as optional?

Maybe he enjoys a challenge?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 9 Apr 2013 - 23:11

We need a Joe Schmidt or McKenzie type of coach not a defense coach.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 11:20

bedfordwelsh wrote:

True it was just wishful thinking. Wales winning the 6 nations is merely a smokescreen obscuring Howley's spectacular lack of talent. If I was Edwards I would have walked. Reporting to Howley is tantamount to constructive dismissal. Reporting to McBride!!!!!!!!!!! How far can you a push a man before he snaps.?

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 14:24

You may well consider the Irish job to be a 'Massive step down' from the Welsh one but I think you'd be hard pressed to find an Irish supporter who would be happy about Edwards being appointed.

Considering Ireland beat you at home this year, is it really such a massive step??

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 14:34

From number 2 in Wales to number 1 in Ireland would actually be a step up - I just don't see it happening, he does not have the stature and composure for a number 1 role at this level. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 14:43

Not a smart move for Ireland imo. I would have thought that Ireland would be looking for an experienced international No.1, not a defense coach. Probably poor jounalism on a day with few stories.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 14:59

I don't think Ireland were involved in the rumour. I certainly know the fans weren't.

I think he's a pretty fine caoch, and I think he might be more central to Welsh fire-and brimstone approach to the game than Gatland is.

But I like Schmidt and I'd like to see him being given the option he now certainly deserves. I'd reckon he's most irish fan's choice for next coach.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 16:12

Schmidt is one of the top options but alongside a new coach I think Ireland fans have to be patient - they have some useful youngsters coming through but they may find it a little tough over the next 2-3 years IMO as they seem short on quality and depth in key positions and it would be unfair to set up some unrealistic expectations after what has been a good decade for Ireland thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mankiaow Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 16:40

RubyGuby wrote: Schmidt is one of the top options but alongside a new coach I think Ireland fans have to be patient - they have some useful youngsters coming through but they may find it a little tough over the next 2-3 years IMO as they seem short on quality and depth in key positions and it would be unfair to set up some unrealistic expectations after what has been a good decade for Ireland thumbsup

Can't agree with that rather glib assessment. But for a long list of injuries and a lack of cohesion Ireland would have been challenging for the 6n this year. Any other side would have struggled in the same situation. If we get the right coach who can get the most from our players we are a match for anyone in Europe and could do well in the WC. The lack of depth is, in part, down to a lack of foresighted player development but there are players there that can step up to the mark.

I have no idea where Edwards' name appeared from in relation to the job. It's obviously quite a long list of candidates.

mankiaow

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 16:51

Can't see Edwards going to the IRFU after the way they treated Sir Gatland.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 17:59

mankiaow wrote:
RubyGuby wrote: Schmidt is one of the top options but alongside a new coach I think Ireland fans have to be patient - they have some useful youngsters coming through but they may find it a little tough over the next 2-3 years IMO as they seem short on quality and depth in key positions and it would be unfair to set up some unrealistic expectations after what has been a good decade for Ireland thumbsup

Can't agree with that rather glib assessment. But for a long list of injuries and a lack of cohesion Ireland would have been challenging for the 6n this year. Any other side would have struggled in the same situation. If we get the right coach who can get the most from our players we are a match for anyone in Europe and could do well in the WC. The lack of depth is, in part, down to a lack of foresighted player development but there are players there that can step up to the mark.

I have no idea where Edwards' name appeared from in relation to the job. It's obviously quite a long list of candidates.

Happy to disagree there Mankiaow and there was nothing glib about the statement, that's just your perception. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 20:15

t1000advancedprototype wrote:Can't see Edwards going to the IRFU after the way they treated Sir Gatland.

Hmmm, that was/is hardly Edward's concern though, is it? Different time, different climate. Had he taken things like that into account he might never have turned up in Wales, given the history of Ruddock.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 22:34

Totally agree ruby .... will try and be patient.... censored
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 22:37

rodders wrote:

Totally agree ruby .... will try and be patient.... censored

thumbsup At least you know where Im coming from Rodders

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 22:39

ireland would be lucky to get the man who has created the best defence in the NH and a guy who gives everything in to his job. if sean edwards wants to leave wales then i would hold on for A job in the SH because a job in the NH would be a step back

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:17

I'd say Schmidt as head coach with Edwards in charge of defence would be a pretty awesome combination.

I don't think Edwards is head coach material, and I think the WRU have given signals that they see Howley as the successor, and not Edwards.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:23

welshboii15 wrote:ireland would be lucky to get the man who has created the best defence in the NH and a guy who gives everything in to his job. if sean edwards wants to leave wales then i would hold on for A job in the SH because a job in the NH would be a step back

Good man, welshboii... 'Put down' duly noted Wink How dare Ireland want someone other than Shaun Edwards? Then how dare they think they could get their hands on him anyway? Then how dare Europe think he'd lower himself to stay in NH at all considering his time with glorious Wales.

Three birds with one stone. Fine shootin'.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:37

Schmidt and Edwards would be interesting.

Maybe M People can play Irelands call before the games.

Edit: i see Edwards and Heather Small are separated

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:39

dublin_dave wrote:Schmidt and Edwards would be interesting.

Maybe M People can play Irelands call before the games.
Edit: i see Edwards and Heather Small are separated

Won't any rendition of a Irish ditty set off Edwards and start a fight?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:45

welshboii15 wrote:ireland would be lucky to get the man who has created the best defence in the NH and a guy who gives everything in to his job. if sean edwards wants to leave wales then i would hold on for A job in the SH because a job in the NH would be a step back

I think Ireland are aiming higher than Edwards Very Happy

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:46

geoff998rugby wrote:

I think Ireland are aiming higher than Edwards Very Happy

Howley?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 13:47

he is beyond dour alright. big angry northern head on him.

A good friend who knows his music tried to convince me the other week that M People were a decent band. He needs sectioning.

Even the Lighthouse family are better

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:15

music You've got search for the hero inside yerself ..... music

I think Edwards is a brilliant coach actually, his direct style might be too much for our lads though .... I could see him sending Heaslip and Madigan straight down to the barbers ....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:21

Cant believe this WUM is being discussed by so many... Whistle

No way would Edwards go to Ireland or Ireland want Edwards...

Now if England came knocking, I would be more concerned, yet with Lancaster and Farrel there at the moment, I think that boat has sailed.

Biggest risk of losing Edwards at the moment is if a Rugby League side made him an offer....

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:49

sirBiggles wrote:Cant believe this WUM is being discussed by so many... Whistle

Now if England came knocking, I would be more concerned, yet with Lancaster and Farrel there at the moment, I think that boat has sailed.

Biggest risk of losing Edwards at the moment is if a Rugby League side made him an offer....

He's played Rugby League for England and Ireland. He has also coached Wales Rugby Union team.
What odds on his next appointment being as head coach of Scotland?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by sirBiggles Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:52

Submachine wrote:
sirBiggles wrote:Cant believe this WUM is being discussed by so many... Whistle

He's played Rugby League for England and Ireland. He has also coached Wales Rugby Union team.
What odds on his next appointment being as head coach of Scotland?

Nothing could be rules out, if they throw loads of money at him... But could Scotland afford to do that at the moment...

I reckon Scotland will give Johnson the job... (god help them.... )

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 23:40

There's a reason why Ireland don't do rugby League. They don't have enough big men who can run straight. Edwards' League style of coaching is fine for teams who have said specimens to effect his plans, but Ireland don't.

Perish the thought but Edwards could be even worse than Kidney.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 10:16

The Great Aukster wrote:There's a reason why Ireland don't do rugby League. They don't have enough big men who can run straight. Edwards' League style of coaching is fine for teams who have said specimens to effect his plans, but Ireland don't.

Perish the thought but Edwards could be even worse than Kidney.

I thought the reason we don't do League is that the IRFU and GAA are very reluctant to allow faciltiy or groundshares with RL.

I actually think thats a mistake and there are a lot of skills gained in league as with 7's that would transfer well to Union. RL players tend to be smaller and more mobile than Union players anyays. League and Union seem to work well in Wales and the lower levels.

I do agree though that Edwards and Gatlands style is built around conditioning and physicality, particularly the aggressive midfield blitz defence they implement and perhaps we don't have the players to do this effectively...... mind you a wee trip to Spala can do wonders I hear...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 11:15

You'll find a bit of Rugby league in Ireland in the summer if you want it. Very mixed standard AIL1 palyers alonside Leinster junior J3 players.
It's a really enjoyable way to spend the summer and when I played 10 years ago the winner of the league went into the English challenge cup. Not sure if that is still the case.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 13:53

rugby league when played properly is a quality game. Enjoy watching the Aussie domestic league. some class players

i have no issue with big forwards taking the ball at pace in a straight line. it is better than big forwards taking the ball at walking pace and walking straight at a blitz defence.

ben barba, sam tomkins, benji marshall, greg inglis, thurston, billy slater, jamal idris are all worth watching.

I love the HC superb competition but in terms of quality the 6 nations is dreadful. Australia and NZ rugby league and union teams would put their basic skills to shame

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down