The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Generation of Welsh stars

+6
GavinDragon
markb
maestegmafia
munkian
Shifty
Jhamer25
10 posters

Go down

New Generation of Welsh stars Empty New Generation of Welsh stars

Post by Jhamer25 Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:30 am

With the regions struggling in the current economy it's a good idea to bring these new boys into the regions and give them game time. We can't sign amateur foreigners all the time and it's not like we can afford world class players.
The U20's now for that past 2 years have been brilliant, had a great structure in the team, a strong scrum with the likes of Samson Lee and now Nicky Thomas, strong defence and good attacking options in our backs.
A lot of the U20's have impressed me in the past 2 years and now they should be getting more game time at our regions. The games vs South Africa was just amazing, players like Ethan Lewis, Nicky Thomas, Carwyn Jones, Ellis Jenkins, Rhodri Williams, Dixon and the great Jordan Williams were amazing and are showing great talent.
Last year I was hoping to see more of the players come through at the regions in the season just gone but it hasn't seemed to occur. Players like Cory Allen, Dan Baker and Rob Evans.
Players like Ethan Lewis will compliment the Blues well, they have brought in Matthew now and he can help develop Ethan along. And this is the same case for the rest of the regions.
All i'm saying is the regions should work together to try and get these players playing more games at our regions. By this I mean helping each other out by sending players on loan to other clubs. For example, Nicky Thomas at the Ospreys won't get much game time next season with Adam Jones, Aaron Jarvis or Cai Grifiths, so why not send him on loan with the Dragons or Blues so he can get more game time and experience.
All I can say is that the past 2 years have brought through a lot of talent at U20 age grade level. These were players like Jonathan Davies, Sam Warburton, Dan Bigger and the great one that is Leigh Halfpenny that were coming through in 2007 and 2008 who are now being recognised all over the world.
I'm positive that the a lot of the players that we have seen in the past 2 years for the U20's will emerge as big stars for Wales:D Very Happy

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

New Generation of Welsh stars Empty Re: New Generation of Welsh stars

Post by Shifty Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:38 am

With the U20's you'll always find the backs make the break through several years earlier than the forwards. If you look at the Welsh back line most have players regional rugby and some over 20 games this season. The forwards won't break through until their in their early 20's for the most part.
It's just a fact of life.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:51 am

Good point shifty.

Plus Jack Dixon and Hallam Amos have started for the Dragons regularly and shone in the JRWC
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:55 am

It's good to see young Dragon academy lads doing so well

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Thu 20 Jun 2013, 1:24 pm

Shifty wrote:With the U20's you'll always find the backs make the break through several years earlier than the forwards.  If you look at the Welsh back line most have players regional rugby and some over 20 games this season.  The forwards won't break through until their in their early 20's for the most part.

I'm not sure how true that is anymore, from the last couple of years for England the following U20 graduates had senior caps by the age of 21:

Forwards
M Vunipola
B Vunipola
Marler
Launchbury
Kvesic
Thomas

Backs
Farrell
Joseph
Yarde
Wade

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 20 Jun 2013, 5:12 pm

I would also like to add we shouldnt underestimate the impact of two things on the U20's good performances:

1. The fact that many of these players have at least played senior rugby in the LV cup or in some cases Rabbo games. For example Amos and Dixon have been in and around the Dragons squad for most of the season. This experience is surely helping them when they come up to the RWC games.

2. The regional championships from u16 to u18 must be working to provide the sufficient competition for places and pushing the cream to the top, ensuring no good player gets lost or walka away from the game.

Going forward I would like to see more players playing week in week out and this is why I am completely happy with the player drain problem as these players will get more game time.

However I would also like to see a Rabbo A league if it was economically feasible

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:53 pm

You have to say well done to the WRU and local rugby bodies for their hard work over the last fifteen years rebuilding Welsh rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 2:16 am

Shifty wrote:With the U20's you'll always find the backs make the break through several years earlier than the forwards.  If you look at the Welsh back line most have players regional rugby and some over 20 games this season.  The forwards won't break through until their in their early 20's for the most part.

Good point but I feel that's aimed more at props, I mean in 2007-29008 junior six nations when they won the grand slam their props were Bevington and Andrews who both seem still very young and still developing but then we had halfpenny and John Davies in the same team and are both starting for the lions on the weekend.
However I do feel that Samson Lee, Nicky Thomas and Rob Evans are already more developed than other props their age, they have shown great promise which is hwy they need more game time for the regions, I don't want players like Phil John and Cai Griffiths using u game time that should be theirs. I mean Cai and Paul John aren't getting any younger and aren't really promising player are they.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 2:17 am

GavinDragon wrote:I would also like to add we shouldnt underestimate the impact of two things on the U20's good performances:

1. The fact that many of these players have at least played senior rugby in the LV cup or in some cases Rabbo games. For example Amos and Dixon have been in and around the Dragons squad for most of the season. This experience is surely helping them when they come up to the RWC games.

2. The regional championships from u16 to u18 must be working to provide the sufficient competition for places and pushing the cream to the top, ensuring no good player gets lost or walka away from the game.

Going forward I would like to see more players playing week in week out and this is why I am completely happy with the player drain problem as these players will get more game time.

However I would also like to see a Rabbo A league if it was economically feasible
Thanks, Dixon and Amos are great examples of what I mean, somehow I forgot about them.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 21 Jun 2013, 5:34 am

Ieuan Jones has also had a few starts for us down at Dave and with Toby likely but inevitably going to move in another season or two then he's ready made to step in permanently
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:24 am

The U20 coaches are doing a fantastic job, they have had the gameplan worked out against every team and have really got these lads playing well together over the last few campaigns.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Fri 21 Jun 2013, 8:03 am

It's been debated on the Scarlet Fever forum, I have thought it myself. Wilson has brought so much structure into that team since he has been appointed, it been unbelievable, he is clearly the core of that team and has rightly led this team to where they are.
I know I might be being a bit harsh on Easterby here but I really think Wilson is more qualified and has shown how he can turn a struggling team into finalists. It's great that we have Wilson and that he is around Easterby to help but at the end of the day I think Wilson should be having the final say at Parc yr Scarlets.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Fri 21 Jun 2013, 6:28 pm

You'd like to hope that the Welsh junior set up would be getting stronger in the next few years with RGC progressing every season and now having a Championship side for players to use as a launch pad. I bash the WRU regularly for their handling of the regions, but the academy system seems to be working and so does the RGC project. Fingers crossed for Sunday.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

Coleman wrote:You'd like to hope that the Welsh junior set up would be getting stronger in the next few years with RGC progressing every season and now having a Championship side for players to use as a launch pad. I bash the WRU regularly for their handling of the regions, but the academy system seems to be working and so does the RGC project. Fingers crossed for Sunday.

The two things you praise the WRU for are what will be the pillars of welsh rugby for the future. The youth and the north.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 21 Jun 2013, 8:13 pm

Wales U20 23-19 France U20 - Liberty Stadium 2008

Biggar to JD to 1/2p who slides in the corner to win it in the 87th minute (and he bangs over the conversion). A 50 man brawl after the final whistle is followed by Warbs having his post match interview with Mrs Easterby cut short. Marvelous stuff.
Other current players on show too, Welsh and French.
Here's a 5min clip. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wha_L8tb8FM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/7448838.stm

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2013, 9:50 pm

Dave the Brawl was not to be dwelled on but again that was an excellent run to the semis for Wales u20s. Last year too, finally this year we go one better maybe two.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down