The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation?

+23
welshy824
flyhalffactory
Gatts
Knowsit17
Taylorman
rodders
yappysnap
HammerofThunor
Shifty
wales606
offload
doctornickolas
tomhughesnice
Rugby Uberlord
Comfort
andy powells minder
Cymroglan
emack2
RubyGuby
tomathy
mckay1402
HERSH
mrzimmerman
27 posters

Go down

The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation? Empty The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation?

Post by mrzimmerman Thu 15 Sep 2011, 08:25

To avoid duplicate topics this thread isn't about our changes against Samoa but more to put the idea out there that this game against Samoa on Sunday morning is the most important game for at least 10 years. We win and we have 2 games to use as build up for a QF against possibly Australia (I beleive that by the time we meet Fiji their world cup hopes will be gone so don't expect the same challenge as they provided us 4 years ago). We lose and that's it, WG is likely to leave, many excellent players will never play in a world cup ever again and I think we'd take a long time to get over it(esecially given our narrow defeat to SA). It could really harm us going into the next 12/24 months of international games.

Do other posters agree or can they shed light on other games that have held higher signifance to this one? Maybe going even further back than 10 years? Could this be the most important Welsh rugby game of all time? Ok, i might be getting ahead of myself but as a relative newcomer to rugby (only been a proper fan for the last 4-6 years) so hoping more seasoned fans can put this game into its rightful context.

Looking forward to your input.

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation? Empty Re: The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation?

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:40

Tumbleweed
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation? Empty Re: The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation?

Post by mckay1402 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:42

Nope I would probably agree with that. massively important to Wales
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:47

If we assume that none of the Northern Hemisphere teams will actually win the tournament anyway, then you could say that one of Wales' Grand Slam securing games in 05 or 08 were bigger.

I also think you don't do justice to how many good players you seem to have who are plenty young enough to make an impact next time.

That said, if you lose to Samoa then I'd say it's world cup over for you, as I can't seem them losing to Fiji, so it is still a completely massive game, and considering that your management team have been in place for precisely a world cup cycle, it is pretty much the culmination of four years work.

Good luck with it. Should be a great one for neutrals. Will be keeping a close eye on Fa'asavalu (Quins player). Him vs Warburton should be fascinating.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by mrzimmerman Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:50

HERSH wrote: Tumbleweed

Fair reflection HERSH, was even considering deleting due to the lack of interest. Let's hope your interaction brings the masses though!

mrzimmerman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 15 Sep 2011, 11:54

Fair point I guess, we're capable of winning Grand Slams but on the global scene that doesn't amount to much. Saturday saw a very different Wales side, organised, composed and good in the contact area. We need the same performance against Samoa or many will think that the SA game was a flash in the pan. (I don't irrespective) - People also seem to be talking about Samoa as the lesser nation here, a nation that has recently beaten Australia in their own back yard. If Wales can get out of this group then they will have nothing to fear in the 1/4's and maybe there will be some pressure off then. However, if we fail to beat Samoa our RWC is over. Showtime awaits and "Sunday bloody Sunday" may never sound the same again thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:00

I feel like the Pied piper sometimes, I think its a good post by the way.

and it is a really important game for Wales, imagine the fallout if they lose to Samoa, again. Whistle
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:01

Wales should treat this game as they would versus a 6N side,and play there natural game.I think now they have won a match SA will only get stronger and will win the group.
Play your strongest side,have your most creative backline the game won`t be won up front.Your setpiece/breakdown should equal Samoa,keep your defensive lines,and play your natural game.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:05

I would like the SA performance to become our "natural game" - Our natural game at RWC's in the past has been of the headless chicken variety and we have ended up being the filling of a hot Vindaloo thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:06

We now have a captain who leads by example.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by tomathy Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:11

RubyGuby wrote: If Wales can get out of this group then they will have nothing to fear in the 1/4's

Except Australia
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:12

Big difference between fear and respect.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:20

I think an oz-wales 1/4 would be one hell of a match, probably better than anything that would follow, i.e teams being scared to play because they have more to lose. I certainly wouldnt fear the result as much as i did the SA game, reckon we would run them all the way, especially if we got quick turnover ball and got toby and his crew running straight down the coopsters channel. I certainly dont think that the oz forwards are quite the same as the saffers, not as domineering, plus the way sams playing it would be a hell of a tussle between him and pocock.

Cant wait for sunday early o'clock

Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:21

Cymroglan wrote:We now have a captain who leads by example.

I stressed this massively as a reason for being hopeful at this world cup, sure hes young, but who wouldnt follow that guy wherever he was going?! We've got a 6 who loves nothing more than to do the really dirty work and a number 8 who is a real threat making gains with ball in hand.

I dont remember the last time we had any of that PLUS a working front 5 providing a solid (enough) platform.

but yes, on topic, this game is massive for us, if we play to the same level as the previous game, we'll win well enough and I'll rest a lot easier knowing that SA wasnt our 'world cup final'. OK

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:32

Good luck Wales! Wanted you to beat the boks!

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Thu 15 Sep 2011, 12:48

Rugby Uberlord wrote:Good luck Wales! Wanted you to beat the boks!

Thanks mate Ale

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2011, 13:35

I'm not sure if its just nerves, but why are us Welsh so afraid of Samoa?

Based on current form, we nearly took down a very good Springbok side, we have a very fit team, and plenty of strong runners and defenders. Our backrow is finally very good technically and are all decent ball carriers, we have a strong front row.

Not wanting to shoot myself in the foot, and no disrespect to Samoa, but Namibia perhaps made them look good. Watching the game the defense was nearly non existent for most of the tries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 15 Sep 2011, 13:39

IronMike wrote:I'm not sure if its just nerves, but why are us Welsh so afraid of Samoa?

Based on current form, we nearly took down a very good Springbok side, we have a very fit team, and plenty of strong runners and defenders. Our backrow is finally very good technically and are all decent ball carriers, we have a strong front row.

Not wanting to shoot myself in the foot, and no disrespect to Samoa, but Namibia perhaps made them look good. Watching the game the defense was nearly non existent for most of the tries.

Fiji put nearly 50 points on this Namibia side that has (correct me if im wrong) never won a world cup test match and are the lowest ranked team in the competition.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by tomhughesnice Thu 15 Sep 2011, 13:44

Was just looking at some world cup stats regarding Wales vs Samoa.

One thing that sticks out, during world cups Wales have played Samoa twice and lost twice.

So I think Welsh fans should have a reason to be nervous, as a neutral I just hope its a cracking match as both teams seem to be playing well at the moment.

tomhughesnice

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 15 Sep 2011, 13:57

I'm confused, help me out guys.

I should want Wales to win being a home nation plus I was disapointed that you didn't stuff the Bok's, but on the other hand I'd love it if Samoa won, again??????
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:00

being british we naturally want the underdog to win. Although on results Samoa shouldn't be the underdog they have everything stacked against them. we love to see people rising against adversity
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:01

having said that i don't want samoa to win...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:01

HERSH wrote:I'm confused, help me out guys.

I should want Wales to win being a home nation plus I was disapointed that you didn't stuff the Bok's, but on the other hand I'd love it if Samoa won, again??????

You're battling the problem that is sympathy hersh, dont worry, by february thatll be long gone and youll be back to wanting everyone to stuff us Very Happy Ale

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:29

HERSH wrote:I'm confused, help me out guys.

You keep supporting the underdog?

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:42

I think this is probably our biggest game of the last 10 years.

Yes there were Grand Slams but this is the WC.

I expect us to win on Sunday and also the rest of our group games.

As for this Welsh team, I am not sure if it one by design or default. Throughout his tenure I think Gatland has made many mistakes and his thinking has sometimes been muddled.

However we have arrived here with what is effectively the changing of the (old) guard and the emergence of some good young players that could be here for the next 3 world cups and that has to be a good thing.

This World Cup will see the international swansong of Shane, Steve Jones, Byrne. The thing is that will only make the team stronger in my view.

I look forward to a GS in 2012.

Yahoo

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:45

Let's not get carried away - it's just the most important since the last most important game!

In six attempts we have a 50% record in getting beyond the pool stage, I've lost count of the number of "most important" games I've watched Wales play.

It's important because it's the next game, it's the world cup and we all want to see Wales perform well on the world stage. If we loose I'll be gutted - but I was gutted when we lost to the BaBas in the last minute a few months back. If you're a Welsh rugby fan - every game is the "most important".
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 15 Sep 2011, 14:49

I think one of the most important games for the last 10 years was last week,

If Wales had beated SA it would have been our most important victory since beating Aus in thr 1987 WC 3rd place playoff.

The Samoa game is now very important for this young side,

I feel confident, and a 1/4 against Aus should be a cracker.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 15 Sep 2011, 16:06

The most important Welsh rugby game for a generation?
Dont be so silly this game is no where near the importance of a Grand slam winning game...
Wales aren't going to win this cup, regardless of whether we beat Fiji and or Samoa.
It would be nice to beat Samoa, but I won't be broken hearted or cheesed off if we don't and my day will carry on as normal.

Beating England in the World Cup warm up game was far more important.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 15 Sep 2011, 16:09

But that game has already been won. It's the most important one because it's the next one you can do anything about.

If Wales lose it'll be a big kick in nuts. If they win, well they should shouldn't they?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 15 Sep 2011, 16:17

HammerofThunor wrote:But that game has already been won. It's the most important one because it's the next one you can do anything about.

If Wales lose it'll be a big kick in nuts. If they win, well they should shouldn't they?

No... Wales don't have a god given right to win rugby games, and Wales and Samoa are fairly even...
This is as close to Apia as Samoa will ever get as a home game in the world Cup.
Wales and Samoa have a 4-3 win record so it's all up in the air, and it will be a big achievement for Wales to win, though I do back them to do it.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 15 Sep 2011, 16:18

It's a WC game it should be the most important to you all till the next one!

Good luck Wales, I actually find myself wanting you to win this one. As a neutral I hope you do as the game vs Oz should be immense.

As an aside, I get the feel from your team that a lot of it has come together irrespective of the coaches actions rather then because of them. And that seems to be a good thing.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 15 Sep 2011, 16:24

This is Wales most important game since last Sunday thats for sure Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 16 Sep 2011, 00:15

georgestowersbiceps wrote:To avoid duplicate topics this thread isn't about our changes against Samoa but more to put the idea out there that this game against Samoa on Sunday morning is the most important game for at least 10 years. We win and we have 2 games to use as build up for a QF against possibly Australia (I beleive that by the time we meet Fiji their world cup hopes will be gone so don't expect the same challenge as they provided us 4 years ago). We lose and that's it, WG is likely to leave, many excellent players will never play in a world cup ever again and I think we'd take a long time to get over it(esecially given our narrow defeat to SA). It could really harm us going into the next 12/24 months of international games.

Do other posters agree or can they shed light on other games that have held higher signifance to this one? Maybe going even further back than 10 years? Could this be the most important Welsh rugby game of all time? Ok, i might be getting ahead of myself but as a relative newcomer to rugby (only been a proper fan for the last 4-6 years) so hoping more seasoned fans can put this game into its rightful context.

Looking forward to your input.

Boy... Nothing like putting a bit of pressure on your team....

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 01:15

Maybe a wee bit late on this point but agree about Warburton. Barring a terrible injury scenario he should be providing leadership within the squad for a good few years ahead and when was the last time we had a back rower who has made so many line-breaks and individual turnovers at such a young age. When's the last time we had a captain who led by example this much, let alone one this young? If that wasn't enough, Tipuric seems to be molding into a very similar type of player at the Liberty.

Progressively, every group game remaining will take on the mantle of most important game if we come through the previous one successfully. Only the promised land of the QF's will officially mark these four years down as more sucessful than the four before them.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 16 Sep 2011, 01:52

Every game is the most important game, we are always on the cusp of a great leap forward and even though in recent history we have made several leaps forward we are still very much knocking on the door but failing to open it.

Pathetic use of metaphor but you get the drift

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 16 Sep 2011, 14:31

"we are still very much knocking on the door but failing to open it."

Maybe there's a door bell somewhere? thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 16 Sep 2011, 14:37

Knowsit17 wrote:Maybe a wee bit late on this point but agree about Warburton. Barring a terrible injury scenario he should be providing leadership within the squad for a good few years ahead and when was the last time we had a back rower who has made so many line-breaks and individual turnovers at such a young age. When's the last time we had a captain who led by example this much, let alone one this young? If that wasn't enough, Tipuric seems to be molding into a very similar type of player at the Liberty.

Progressively, every group game remaining will take on the mantle of most important game if we come through the previous one successfully. Only the promised land of the QF's will officially mark these four years down as more sucessful than the four before them.

You had it with your previous captain!!! Rolling Eyes
Utter disrespect to Matthew Rees, a Lions hooker, under-rated until he became injured, down to earth, and always led from the front, and probably was the first name that Gatland pencilled in each match. He was also instrumental in negotiating the player WC performance bonus.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 16:52

the thing is people say about samoa beating wales twice in the world cups, most receant one was what 12 years ago??? why should that affect us, i mean completely different teams and wales last match v samoa they won (and didnt biggar have a shocker) there is nothing to feel, we took on one of the most physical sides in the world cup and matched them and in certain areas dominated them.

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Fri 16 Sep 2011, 17:03

I wonder if Wales can finally put to rest their defeats to those Giants of the SH, Samoa and Fiji, because these 2 behemoths of the game have destroyed what were certain Welsh shoo-in's to win previous World cups.

Who can honestly forget 4 years ago, when an unbeatable Welsh side came to grief against those pesky Fijians. Oh how i cried and cried when Wales were humiliated, and then i wiped those tears of mirth off my self- satisfied and very pleased face, and then thought this might happen again in another world cup. Well, its not Fiji this time and i hope the result is different!! Honest!!! C'mon Wales, all of England are behind you. Wink

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 16 Sep 2011, 17:09

Sure you beat Samoa in your last match but if I recall it was a close run thing and you had home advantage.... Sundays match will be as close to a home RWC tie to Samoa as they will ever get no matter how much Welsh support turns up.

Wales should take a lot of positives from last weekends match but performing well and winning under pressure are two different things. Against SA they had nothing to lose... they were the underdog, they had another chance if things didn't go their way.... this time they are the favourites, they have no more cards left if they lose.. its a completely different mindset.

Who will win... too difficult to tell really, its going to be one intense match though and I expect the physios of both sides to be on overtime post match.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 16 Sep 2011, 20:01

english warrior wrote:I wonder if Wales can finally put to rest their defeats to those Giants of the SH, Samoa and Fiji, because these 2 behemoths of the game have destroyed what were certain Welsh shoo-in's to win previous World cups.

Actually the 1999 defeat was avenged when we smashed them by 50 points in 2000!

We were all over Samoa in 2009, and in 2010 stuck half a weak team out against Fiji and almost came unstuck.
Hell even 2007 had a lot of iffy things in it that made the game that way. We out scored Fiji in tries, Stephen Jones missed nearly all his kicks. Late and dangerous tackles went unpunished that simply wouldnt of happened with a northern hemisphere referee.

I doubt Samoa will get away with any rough stuff on Sunday, Alain Rolland is a fussy referee in the tackle and isn't afraid to card players.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:11

Alyn:

You are taking a chance having a go at S Jones for exiting the 2007 RWC, Flyhalf will come up with some story it was Hook's fault, I remember 2003 RWC when S Jones kicked another poor clearance when we were up on the score board to Robinson and the rest is history. Not a great record for S Jones, hope he does not play in this RWC.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by MrFahrenheit Fri 16 Sep 2011, 23:28

Most people won't have an issue with Stephen Jones having a swansong run-out in the RWC as long as he doesn't kick the ball (out of hand or off the tee) and doesn't try and run it.

Just pop up passes to Roberts & North for 20 mins before Hooky goes to 10 and all will be fine.

MrFahrenheit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down