The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would NZ want Gatland as their coach

+2
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
R!skysports
6 posters

Go down

Would NZ want Gatland as their coach Empty Would NZ want Gatland as their coach

Post by R!skysports Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:35 pm

One of the issues of the Lions is the national slant we all take on decisions and performance - we all have coloured glasses that may let us see more positives in one person vs another

So - to try to see how good a job Gatland has done, both with Wales, Wasps and the Lions - I want to ask the New Zealand ers whether they would want to have Gatland as their coach - which I believe is his long term goal?

What do you like about him, dislike and ultimately does he have a future (in your opinion) as an All Blacks coach?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Would NZ want Gatland as their coach Empty Re: Would NZ want Gatland as their coach

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't believe there's much chance Gatland could get selected for NZ coach any time in the next 6 years. And probably not in the next decade for a variety of reasons.

That said, in NZ he's respected for his work with Ireland and Wales. Wasps less so, most NZers only have a vague idea the team exists (we are a tad provincial about club rugby, and don't care about anything European below HEC level (and the HEC is regarded as inferior to SXV). We do enjoy seeing once of our own make good internationally though - albeit NZers aren't particularly impressed by 6N wins or grand slams - the ABs have had 3 attempts at the Home Nations grand slam in the professional era, and succeeded each time.

He coaches a good old fashioned Waikato style, which again is respected when it wins. However in the modern era we expect the ABs to win 80% of their matches, and to entertain us while they're doing it. The only team to have won a Super Rugby title playing Gatland-ball is the Bulls. And nearly everyone's applauded the failure of the Stormers to win with that style over the past few season.

The lack of a "wow" factor in Gatland's teams is a small negative though, and probably wouldn't stop him getting the ABs job. What will stop him are:

a) he'll first have to move to NZ, and be head coach of a Super Rugby side and get good results (i.e. make the playoffs or more) - the NZRU won't appoint an ABs coach directly from overseas (the Henry precedent)
b) he's reputedly made a few enemies at NZRU board level, so either needs those enemies removed, or placated. The Steve Tew "faction" in NZ rugby has held power for a long time, and I don't know if any other challengers have emerged since the death of Jock Hobbs (who headed the old "Deans" faction)
c) Steve Hansen is currently winning with the ABs, so is unlikely to lose his job pre-RWC. And even if he does
d) Dave Rennie is winning in Super Rugby with the Chiefs, playing entertaining rugby, blocking Gatland's path both to his home SuperXV team and is in pole position for next ABs coach. Sir John Kirwan and Todd Blackadder both also have their supporters should their teams manage to surpass the Chiefs
e) Long term, Joe Schmidt and Vern Cotter may also emerge as contenders.

Broadly, the only way I can see Gatland becoming NZ coach before 2020 is if the ABs go out in the RWC quarters, and Rennie fails completely in 2016-17, while Gatland's Chiefs win SXV in those years.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Would NZ want Gatland as their coach Empty Re: Would NZ want Gatland as their coach

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:08 pm

I would be happy to see Gatland return to NZ rugby. Hansen and Henry had mixed success with Wales so I don't think we should judge Gatland on his efforts with Ireland and Wales or indeed the Lions.

I could see the possibility of him coming to a Super franchise like the Highlanders. Put in a mixture of Southland grunt and sprinkle that with a bit of Otago backline enterprise and it'd be a good fit for him. We could well do with somebody of his experience coaching back in NZ.

As for the AB job, that is probably more of a stretch but not impossible. It'd be a long term move and would Gatland be prepared to be patient? I for one hope so.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I would be happy to see Gatland return to NZ rugby. Hansen and Henry had mixed success with Wales so I don't think we should judge Gatland on his efforts with Ireland and Wales or indeed the Lions.

I could see the possibility of him coming to a Super franchise like the Highlanders. Put in a mixture of Southland grunt and sprinkle that with a bit of Otago backline enterprise and it'd be a good fit for him. We could well do with somebody of his experience coaching back in NZ.

As for the AB job, that is probably more of a stretch but not impossible. It'd be a long term move and would Gatland be prepared to be patient? I for one hope so.

But would that not mean most of the team would just sit on the bench watching Very Happy 

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Riskysports wrote:
kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I would be happy to see Gatland return to NZ rugby. Hansen and Henry had mixed success with Wales so I don't think we should judge Gatland on his efforts with Ireland and Wales or indeed the Lions.

But would that not mean most of the team would just sit on the bench watching Very Happy 

Not really, there's only a handful of Otago/Southland players in the current squad anyway, the team is mostly imports Wink . And Jamie McIntosh is moving North at the end of the season too
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:16 pm

Laugh Jamie Joseph took the Highlanders off the bottom of the Super table only to land dead last. He's fallen out with a few players so the time is ripe for Gatland to make a case for coaching them.

Unfortunately the window of opportunity might close before he is able to return from Wales. I just don't see the other franchises at this point in time looking for a new coach. Gatland will be unable to take the AB job without proving himself at Super level so he's going to have to find somewhere that'll take him. 6N or Lions success is all well and good but it won't impress anyone at the NZRFU. You have to prove yourself in NZ much like the players have to.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Think your post is backfiring on you a Risky.

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 pm

No.
a. He is useless
b. He loses to the aussies too much
c. There aren't enough welshmen in nz

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:32 pm

If Gatland was NZ coach he would r*** and pillage the resources and talents of the surrounding islands in the seas...

Caldy Island
Skomer
Flat Holm
Anglesey
Barry Island

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm

The possibilities of Gatty being considered as an All Black coach were examined somewhat about 20 months ago, although he didnt apply when Ted retired.coincidently it was about the same time that wales added somewhat longer terms to his contract.

Gattland gets on by far, with people in new Zealand rugby a lot better than Robbie Deans, it may not be common  Knowledge but Steve Hansen and others in canterbury rugby do not get on with deans at all.

Anyway the NZRFU came out about 20 months ago and declared that the next ABs coach will be appointed from those coaching within New Zealand.as Kiwired mentioned above the stalling block for Gatland lies in Dave Rennie and the fact that the Waikato chiefs are leading the Superxv table, and he is not going anywhere else soon.

Those that know Gatland suggest that he holds two coaching ambitions, to coach back in Hamilton again (his stint a few years back there was a bit more than technical advisor) and to coach the All blacks. while Rennie is there it aint going to happen, but that doesnt mean to say that New Zealanders dont recognise Gatty as a very very good coach.

As a footnote for him to move back here is nothing, he still has property around the waikato, his kids have just finished/or are still at school  in Hamilton.and we all saw  the glint in his eye during the 2011 World Cup when Wales had a week of two with Hamilton as their base and a few games on rugby park, Hamilton....I am sure those Welsh lads were made more than aware of what it meant to play on that ground.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down