The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It!

+17
Haddie-nuff
Born Slippy
Henman Bill
LuvSports!
sirfredperry
barrystar
Johnyjeep
Jahu
kingraf
socal1976
invisiblecoolers
laverfan
naxroy
HM Murdock
JuliusHMarx
Danny_1982
hawkeye
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It! Empty Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It!

Post by hawkeye Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:40 pm

With his defeat of Wawrinka today Nadal has claimed the year end number one position for the third time. I liked the way Neil Harman summed up his article on this in The Times.

No one has reclaimed the No 1 year-end ranking after a three-year hiatus. Rafa reigns. And we had better get used to it again.

Sorry no link as PPV

One of the first to congratulate Nadal was his beaten opponant

Congrats @RafaelNadal for number 1 year end ranking! Amazing year!! And for today's match :-(! #FinalShowdown

https://twitter.com/stanwawrinka

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It! Empty Re: Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It!

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:51 pm

Yep, congrats Rafa. Unbelievable comeback from injury. I doubt anyone has come back as well from a long break before, and I doubt anyone ever will again.

Better get used to it? I think Novak will come back again and challenge very strongly for no.1 next year. While I see the slams of the next 2 years to be a 3 horse race with Andy too, maybe 4 with Delpo, I see the number 1 ranking as a straight battle between Rafa and Novak. They bring out their best most often, and do it on all surfaces.

Having watched Rafa only yesterday, it reiterated to me that he is a worthy number 1 and has a tremendous aura on the court. One of the greatest ever, and in with a great chance of retiring as THE greatest ever.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It! Empty Re: Rafa Reigns. And We Had Better Get Used To It!

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 06 Nov 2013, 9:56 pm

It really is a remarkable comeback story.
The foundations were laid I think (as predicted by H-N and maybe some others) by skipping the early part of the season and coming back in low-key clay court tournaments. Not only did this allow him to get his confidence and timing back, but it meant he had more energy left for the latter part of the season, where he has often tailed off.
Very shrewd decision-making.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 06 Nov 2013, 10:11 pm

Brilliant. Let's take not managing to be YE#1 for a couple of years, call it a "hiatus" and turn into a statistical first!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Wed 06 Nov 2013, 10:42 pm

2 slams and 5 masters, thats the important thing.
number 1 is just a consecuence

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 06 Nov 2013, 11:22 pm

Nadal has 73-6. Wonderful season. Ok!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:24 am

He set an example of how to skip the tournaments to be back firing all angles.

Just my personal thought, he was ready even before AO but didn't make a comeback till clay smartly and now I guess Murray is following suit won't be surprised if he does something similar in a better way.

One of the best comebacks I have seen in the history of any sport, clap , but would he find 2014 easy? simple Answer is no.

Rafa never defended a year end NO.1 in history and I don't think so he gonna change that in the upcoming year either.

Rafa has no.1 looks way better than Djoko as No.1 , I really thank Rafa for it .Very Happy censored Yahoo 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:33 am

Danny_1982 wrote:Yep, congrats Rafa. Unbelievable comeback from injury. I doubt anyone has come back as well from a long break before, and I doubt anyone ever will again. ...
Someone has comeback from career threatening injury and that person was Rafa Nadal (2009 followed by 2010). Many said or hoped that Rafa Nadal would not last in the sport but I have always suspected he will keep going on and on. His uncle was called the beast of Barcelona (football) - famed for his strength and endurance and indomitable fighting spirit. Maybe it is something in the blood, in the DNA.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:47 am

Great accomplishment particularly his USO win, he really does deserve it. But I could see him lose the number one ranking next year, I mean he might not but he is hardly a shoe in with Djokovic there to challenge him and his history of injuries.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 6:07 am

Yeah - if Rafa was 21, and had just done this I would be telling anyone who cares that the order has changed and you might as well get used it. The reality is Rafa is a 27-year old veteran with bad knees, and a rampant rival in Djokovic. Don't know how long this will last for, but he has certainly done well.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:04 am

Danny_1982. Read you comments about your time at O2 elsewhere too. Sounds like you had great time Very Happy 

invisiblecoolers wrote:

Just my personal thought, he was ready even before AO but didn't make a comeback till clay smartly and now I guess Murray is following suit won't be surprised if he does something similar in a better way.
Please don't hijack my thread and send it off in a different direction but I'm intrigued. Maybe you could write your own article on what you expect Murray to do next year. Do you think the key to getting to number one by winning 2 out of three slams and 6 masters is to get injured? And do you think having surgery is the key to doing something even better than that?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:20 am

It's such a sloppy, self-contradictory piece of writing by Harman.
It's basically:

1) Rafa's history has not seen him hold on to number 1.

2) we should expect Rafa to hold on to number 1.

Written at a time when his Rafa's main rival has just gone 19 matches unbeaten and scored maximum points since USO.

Rafa's achievement is brilliant enough in itself. It doesn't need to be dipped in guff.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:31 am

Well done to Rafa.

The GOAT!! after Fed, Sampras, Laver, and so many more Wink
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:52 am

How many more? Not much of a GOAT if theres a long list perched above him, is he?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:22 am

Ok, you are right, I will put Nadal after those 3, so No:4 GOAT ain't bad.

Important thing is he wiped the floor with Djoko this year, so that makes him special this year.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnyjeep Thu 07 Nov 2013, 8:48 am

HM Murdoch wrote:

Rafa's achievement is brilliant enough in itself. It doesn't need to be dipped in guff.
It's simply amazing how often it is though! Goodness knows why.

Johnyjeep

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:24 am

Johnyjeep wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

It's simply amazing how often it is though! Goodness knows why.
It does wind me up.

73-6 match record, 2 slams, 5 Masters. All fantastic.

But we have to go through stuff like "first person to win YE#1 three years apart", "first person to miss January and get to number 1".

It's only a matter of time before we get "first left handed Majorcan to get to number 1 following the China Open".

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:32 am

To be fair, HM. I think winning and losing the YE #1 three times is a definite achievement. As history shows players generally don't come back from losing the #1 spot, doing it twice is superb. I agree with the gist of your statement, though. Americans love throwing out random statlines, though. In basketball - LeBron James is the only player to score 30+ points for six straight games in the Month of February at at least 65% shooting. I don't even know why that matters, but ESPN felt the need to dig that stat up.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:34 am

It's a reflection of all modern journalism, but possibly a result of the internet - so many online blogs, opinions etc that journalists have to resort to this sort of thing just to have something different to say.

"Are we living in a world where stats and horror are the new Gods?"
Extra points for getting the reference.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 07 Nov 2013, 9:54 am

kingraf wrote: LeBron James is the only player to score 30+ points for six straight games in the Month of February at at least 65% shooting. I don't even know why that matters, but ESPN felt the need to dig that stat up.
That is marvellous! Four separate clauses!

The thing with Rafa getting to number 1 again is that it goes both ways.

On the positive side, it is another example of Rafa's incredible longevity. It's in the same category as his achievement of winning slams in 9 calendar years.

But it also means that he has a record of losing the number 1 spot. To regain it, you must by definition lose it in the first place!

That's what irked me about Harman's piece, the whole "get used to it" sentiment.

JHM - you do like your 80s music, don't you?!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:01 am

The comeback is obviously a very major achievement, as is reaching #1 for the y/e - so well done to my least favourite player through gritted teeth.

Nadal is a hunter, he's never looked particularly at ease on the summit, and he's never yet done a season in which he's managed to combine a genuine challenge at the Aus Open with a solid finish to the year - his clay mastery means he does not have to in order to mine significant points.

It will be fascinating to see how he approaches 2014, whether he can sustain a year going all-out from the start or whether we see some careful schedule management.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:18 am

I reckon Nadal would have beaten Napoleon and hence I think it is fair to say that Nadal is historically more important than Napoleon. Reckon he would have also rolled over Socrates and Descartes.  Maybe in Alexander the Great or Vlad the Impaler he might have met his match.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:24 am

Lord Nelson could have beaten Rafa with one arm tied behind his back - and that's after he lost his other arm!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Nov 2013, 10:43 am

Not many people know, but Lord Nelson invented the full nelson in wrestling and when he lost his arm the half nelson.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:11 am

Rafa should be top for quite a few weeks now, especially as he has no points to defend at two of the next three slams.
But it's still going to be an intriguing year, with Murray coming back and Djoko snapping at Rafa's heels. The real excitement could come in the last part of the year when the points situation could become more of a level playing field.
Intriguing to think how many weeks Djoko would have been number one without Rafa and vice-versa. The chase to catch Fed, on 300 weeks plus, is tough for these two if they keep swapping top spots.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:21 am

Should be Number 1 until at least March or April, probably at least until the FO I would imagine.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:27 am

It depends on Novak's form of course but if Rafa is to lose number 1 next year, I'd expect it to be between Canada and USO. If those 3 wins (Canada, Cincy, USO) are reduced even to runner ups, that's a loss of 1600 points.

It also precedes a period where Novak will have a full house of points (Beijing 500, Shangai 1000 and Paris 1000) in his total.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:30 am

Come on sir fred, where's ya funny side? Follow their lead!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:39 am

Nore Staat wrote:I reckon Nadal would have beaten Napoleon and hence I think it is fair to say that Nadal is historically more important than Napoleon. Reckon he would have also rolled over Socrates and Descartes.  Maybe in Alexander the Great or Vlad the Impaler he might have met his match.
I'm not sure. Socrates had a very strong DHBH.

Descartes was a limited player though. He gave a very honest assessment of his game:

"You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing."

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 07 Nov 2013, 11:50 am

Just been researching Socrates. What a guy and what a horrible death!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 07 Nov 2013, 12:11 pm

I was there yesterday and Rafa was interviewed on court and this was mentioned. Like most tennis interviews, it was very boring and I almost felt asleep, I certainly slumped down in my chair at the boringness of the interview. It was a very good standard match though. TO me eyes, Rafa played better than Djoko the year before.

I don't think the trophy was actually presented yesterday, so maybe it will be today.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:13 pm

Ha ha! Judging by some of the comments here (not all) Rafa getting the top spot is not something that will be easy to get used to.

I can remember ages ago when Federer lost the top spot to Nadal he was often introduced as "the present" number two so that those doing the introductions could make it clear that being pushed into the number two spot was just a temporary blip and that Federer was the "real" number one. Now that Nadal is number one again it's interesting how some are quick to point out that he will lose it (and hopefully soon?). Of course he can't hang onto the top spot forever. No one can! But he is the top player now.

Also there is now clearly a top two. Nadal has more than double the points of Ferrer who is number three. And Djokovic in all probability will also have double Ferrer's points by the end of the WTF

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:35 pm

Perhaps there will be a top three again if Murray decides to stop only playing part-time? Run 

Obviously Djoko fans hope that Rafa's reign at the top will be short-lived. Can't fault them for that surely?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:37 pm

Yeah, if Andy comes back ok from his surgery next year looks a three horse race. Will be interesting to see how Rafa gets on with a normal schedule.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:42 pm

Julius. Ha ha! Playing part-time is no excuse. The present number one is a part-time player.

Of lots will hope that Rafa's reign is short. I'm looking forward to seeing how Djokovic responds now that the year end number one is decided. He had that glint in his eye when he still thought it was possible to steal it back. Now that it's decided will the glint still be there?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:49 pm

hawkeye wrote:Julius. Ha ha! Playing part-time is no excuse.
So what was the excuse for Rafa dropping out of the top 4 earlier this year?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Nov 2013, 1:58 pm

Had to give em a head start Run aaaand I'm running

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:07 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
hawkeye wrote:Julius. Ha ha! Playing part-time is no excuse.
So what was the excuse for Rafa dropping out of the top 4 earlier this year?
It was all part of a tricky plan (or so some think) Apparently Murray's injury is going to enable him to repeat what Nadal has done but "in a better way" (according to invisiblecoolers).

IMO despite Nadal being a pretty good player his injuries are not the key to his success. Sadly they have greatly inhibited his achievements. Injuries are never a good thing.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:14 pm

No they're not. Injury and illness have inhibited the achievements of dozens of current and past top players, including Rafa, Fed, Murray, Djoko and Delpo.
The extent of the inhibition can never be determined.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 07 Nov 2013, 2:15 pm

While I think injuries have in the main inhibited Nadal's success, Reality also has to have a place. He's suffered injuries playing a sport he loves for more money than the entire board combined. Also, he has continued winning big through his injuries, unlike an assortment of players I'm sure SoCal could name/bundle as the Rollover Generation. Wouldn't wish injuries on anybody, but I think Nadal is in a position where pity is hardly required.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 07 Nov 2013, 3:54 pm

kingraf wrote:While I think injuries have in the main inhibited Nadal's success, Reality also has to have a place. He's suffered injuries playing a sport he loves for more money than the entire board combined. Also, he has continued winning big through his injuries, unlike an assortment of players I'm sure SoCal could name/bundle as the Rollover Generation. Wouldn't wish injuries on anybody, but I think Nadal is in a position where pity is hardly required.
´

Great post Kr.  I do have to say that whilst I have ALWAYS (as you all very well know) given my undying support to the Spaniard I secretly had my doubts.. and fears that he would ever make a comeback at all let alone in the spectacular manner he has achieved it. It is a testimony not only to his skill but his incredible will and determination. These qualities have been the backbone of his success apart from his tennis ability.  If I only had half of his incredible mental fortitude I would be grateful.   If my life depended on one man to play a tennis match to save my life  Id put my last € on Nadal. To come back after he himself must have doubted his future.. and through the pain he must have been in is in itself amazing. But like you have said KR he did it because of the love of the sport he feels so passionate about.. The money is now a bye product.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:11 pm

Yes, his will and determination are incredible. I guess that true of all pro sportsmen compared to us, but Rafa seems to bring it to every point of every match.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:15 pm

^ Mmmm mikey. I'm not 100% sure that's you real opinion? It's all just a game isn't it?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Thu 07 Nov 2013, 4:22 pm

I didn't know so many others browsed the "other" forum, even you HE.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Thu 07 Nov 2013, 6:45 pm

9 years in a row winning a slam and a master at least
115 weeks as number 1
3 times year end number 1

seems solid to me

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri 08 Nov 2013, 7:25 pm

Amazing comeback for Nadal. Phenomenal achievement.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:45 pm

hawkeye wrote:Danny_1982. Read you comments about your time at O2 elsewhere too. Sounds like you had great time Very Happy 

invisiblecoolers wrote:

Please don't hijack my thread and send it off in a different direction but I'm intrigued. Maybe you could write your own article on what you expect Murray to do next year. Do you think the key to getting to number one by winning 2 out of three slams and 6 masters is to get injured? And do you think having surgery is the key to doing something even better than that?
I didnt know you took 606v2 notworthy 

Talking about Murray pains your spine right? Headscratch 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri 08 Nov 2013, 11:49 pm

We live in a world where everything is considered a record, the worst affected sport in this aspect is Cricket, they even give maintain stupid records like

The biggest batting partnership where one partner didn't contribute nothing.
The biggest batting partnership to have ended in a run-out.

Now we see such things jamming Tennis as well. picard picard 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 09 Nov 2013, 2:13 am

You clearly don't know much about cricket.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 09 Nov 2013, 7:57 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:We live in a world where everything is considered a record, the worst affected sport in this aspect is Cricket, they even give maintain stupid records like

The biggest batting partnership where one partner didn't contribute nothing.
The biggest batting partnership to have ended in a run-out.

Now we see such things jamming Tennis as well. picard picard 
Ha ha! invisiblecoolers. I think Neil Harmans "You better get used to it" could very well be aimed at you. You can cover your eyes with your hands all you like and say it isn't much of an achievement. But in tennis Rafa is in the top spot. That's a slightly better achievement than being the non contributing partner in a cricket batting record. If it makes you feel better you don't even have to acknowledge the special circumstances surrounding Nadal re-gaining this spot. So prepare to cover your eyes and ears when some say it may be one of the best comebacks in sport not just tennis (As Tim Henman, Andrew Castle and Sue Barker discussed this week)

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next