The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013??

+5
hampo17
Strongback
BallchinianMuffwig
catchweight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
9 posters

Go down

Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013?? Empty Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:14 am

Cleverly getting spanked by Kovalev

Burns robbing Beltran

Barker collapsing in a heap in 2 rounds

Macklin blew away by GGG

Lee Purdy getting a slap by Alexander

Froch vs Groves ending....

Haye vs Fury debacle

Channel 5 tin pot cards in shopping centres

Dire Copperbox cards

Thankfully the overseas cards have been to the rescue but this year British boxing has had more negatives than positives....

Not on the wind up but, I know Irish boxing ain't exactly a hotbed of talent, but British boxing is more interesting to myself anyway.

Thoughts?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013?? Empty Re: Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013??

Post by catchweight Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:27 am

I agree. I dont much mind a boxer losing to a better fighter but I cant watch a fight in the UK now without expecting it to be ruined by dodgy officials. The fact a fight of the magnitude of Froch against Groves could be so blatantly infected and tainted by horrendous judging and officiating is worrying. We dont have a single genuine world champion either.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013?? Empty Re: Has British Boxing been an embarrassment in 2013??

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 10:57 am

Yea exactly mate.

Warrens cards are one of my hates to be honest. Look at Frankie Gavin for example, what is going on there. These Boxnation cards are dire and the only decent thing about the channel is the fact they show international fights. These Copperbox cards are awful.

The only proper champions are Froch with the IBF belt and Burns with the WBO. Although Burns should not have that belt.

Froch holds a micky mouse WBA belt along with Quigg. The fact he never won it in the ring and his first defense was a draw made it look even more of a shambles.

Who can rescue the British scene in 2014?? Smart money is on Frampton, but there is only so far he can go in the super bantam division before he runs into the real super talents.

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:44 am

Khan's been so below the radar too, think that's had something to do with it. God forbid he doesn't fight Money May in 2014, but gets back to his big Vegas dates with other highly ranked opposition.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 14 Dec 2013, 2:37 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

Dire Copperbox cards

If you want to see a dire card look no further than Matchrooms card tonight.  Worst card by one of the major promoters all year.

Leonard Bundu v Lee Purdy

Kevin Mitchell v Karim El Quazghari

Tony Owen v Ricky Boylan

Ryan Taylor v Floyd Moore

Danny Connor v Tyler Goodjohn

Martin Murray v Sergey Khomitsky

Jamie McDonnell v Abigail Medina

Paul Smith Jr v Jamie Ambler

Erick Ochieng v Dale Evans

Anthony Ogogo v Dan Blackwell

Martin J. Ward v Ben Wager

Kal Yafai v Ashley Lane

Jon Wayne-Hibbert v Ashley Mayall

Wadi Camacho v John Anthony

Ben Ileyemi v Danny Fleary

Tamuka Mucha v Duane Green

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 14 Dec 2013, 2:42 pm

The Warren card last weekend had some good fights on it. Didn't see a bad word said against the action on twitter all night, Warren is in the same boat as someone like Dave Coldwell, doesn't have a superstar to headline his shows.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 14 Dec 2013, 2:56 pm

Guess who said this:

This is the fifth occasion this year that promoter Eddie Hearn has led one of his fighters into a world championship ring on foreign climes.  Only Barker succeeded, when he eked out a split decision over Australia's Daniel Geale on neutral terrain in Atlantic City.  The others -  Gavin Rees, Lee Purdy, Tony Bellew and now Barker – were all emphatically stopped inside seven rounds.

Maybe a fight that in my mind made more sense would have seen Darren stay at home in a mega fight with Carl Froch at super-middleweight.  Win or lose he would've still had his middleweight title.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 2:57 pm

Yea Hampo, I hear ya.

The thing is, when I watch a Warren show it feels like its trapped in the 80s or something. I like the showbiz element of boxing and Sky normally do a pretty good job with their production.

But in regards to the Chisora card the other week, all these opponents from Czech Republic, Latvia etc etc. Its grim watching and normally I find myself not watching it.

Frankie Gavin and BJS became pros around the same time as DeGale & Groves. It just shows how Warren holds these guys back. DeGale is being mouted as being in the mix for eliminators to fight Bika, Chavez Jr. Groves had his moment the other week.

When is Billy Joe and Frankie going to do anything of note?? They will rot on these cards imo. They have practically zero profile outside of hardcore fans. DeGale and Groves are well known amongst general sports fans. I can't see what Warren can do with Gavin as the division he is in is far too strong for him to get anywhere near a shot at even a weak title.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 2:58 pm

Strongback wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:

Dire Copperbox cards

If you want to see a dire card look no further than Matchrooms card tonight.  Worst card by one of the major promoters all year.

Leonard Bundu v Lee Purdy

Kevin Mitchell v Karim El Quazghari

Tony Owen v Ricky Boylan

Ryan Taylor v Floyd Moore

Danny Connor v Tyler Goodjohn

Martin Murray v Sergey Khomitsky

Jamie McDonnell v Abigail Medina

Paul Smith Jr v Jamie Ambler

Erick Ochieng v Dale Evans

Anthony Ogogo v Dan Blackwell

Martin J. Ward v Ben Wager

Kal Yafai v Ashley Lane

Jon Wayne-Hibbert v Ashley Mayall

Wadi Camacho v John Anthony

Ben Ileyemi v Danny Fleary

Tamuka Mucha v Duane Green

I will watch this with the volume off. Its too risky in case I end up hearing Kevin Mitchells voice and my ears go on fire!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 14 Dec 2013, 3:00 pm

I can understand what you're saying about Gavin and BJS, but I think Gavin held himself back for around 12 months due to personal problems, Saunders has had his fair share of injuries early on in his career as well.

I'd be surprised if we don't see those guys step it up next year, Warren will have to keep them happy.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 3:08 pm

Yea he will. But then again Frank will just say Mayweather, Manny, Bradley etc are avoiding Gavin, then pull out a few pieces of paper with emails on them saying he offered $100 million for a fight.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:28 pm

No, we've had lots of good fights, there has been downs but plenty of ups. Our guys challenging the best in the division is something I'm proud of rather than singling out the very weakest champs and fighting nobodies. Not embarassed in the slightest. The ending to Froch Vs Groves was terrible but the fight was one of the best I have ever watched. Wasn't liek the Judah Malignaggi card was anything special, all of the fights were pretty poor to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:38 pm

On the world map the Brits have been shown to be weak.

Rees got battered by Broner, Cleverly gets slapped by Kovalev in 4 rounds (should have been stopped in the 3rd). Weak belt holder. Burns got a compete dressing down from Beltran and robbed him blind. Then Barkers mini reign with his dodgy hip. Macklin gettin blew out along with Bellew.

2013 has shown the top british fighters to be no more than average.

Then the controversy, with British refs, crap judging etc.

The year before America had some stinking decisions, but this year Britain has stood out as a place where you get stopped if you stagger a little bit and have to knock the champ out to get a win.

I love British boxing and always have, always will, but this year has been a disaster for British fighters and reputations. Personally there is only a tiny amount of potential champs I reckon.

Frampton, Joshua and maybe Martin Murray.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:47 pm

The Froch-Groves card was agony to sit through, absolute poison. Poor year for the Brits in the ring but its just timing really: all our prospective champs have lost their chances in Macklin, Barker and Bellew.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 14 Dec 2013, 4:51 pm

Yea thats how i've seen it KM.

If only Warren would hurry up with BJS and Gavin. Instead of these grim fights they are set up with.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 14 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

I think some of the problems we have seen with british boxing for several years has been well highlighted this year.

for a long time foreign fighters have been stopped early in this country. we have some terrible referees and judges who work for warren and hearn. the stoppage chisora got was far worse than the groves one.

it makes me laugh when patriotic fans come on here and slate the german judges.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 15 Dec 2013, 6:42 am

To be honest Reborn Im not sure rushing BJS is a good idea. Thought he lost to John Ryder last out... And with Gavin with where he is at the moment I have to think that if they put him in with a quality operator he'll have the floor wiped with him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Sun 15 Dec 2013, 9:46 am

Gavin-Purdy would be decent, likewise Carson Jones. But he needs to move on.

As for the German judges, they earned their criticism but we did our best to steal their crown in 2013

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Dec 2013, 8:09 pm

Kell Brook still proved that he is Britains best prospect and kept up his unbeaten record

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down