The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney

+9
trebellbobaggins
Sangakkara
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
CaledonianCraig
KP_fan
msp83
Biltong
alfie
Pal Joey
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney Empty Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 2:56 am

Australia:
DA Warner, AJ Finch, SE Marsh, MJ Clarke*, GJ Maxwell, DT Christian, BJ Haddin†, JL Pattinson, JP Faulkner, NM Coulter-Nile, XJ Doherty

England:
AN Cook*, IR Bell, GS Ballance, EJG Morgan, RS Bopara, JC Buttler†, BA Stokes, TT Bresnan, SCJ Broad, CJ Jordan, JC Tredwell

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney Empty Re: Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:00 am

England have won the toss and have elected to bat.

Joe Root and Boyd Rankin have been replaced by James Tredwell and Stuart Broad.

Mitchell Johnson, Clint McKay and George Bailey are out for Australia, replaced by James Pattinson, Xavier Doherty and Dan Christian.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney Empty Re: Australia v England: 3rd ODI, Sydney

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:05 am

Not so hot today and there is some cloud cover.

The England side looks more balanced for this match. It should be interesting to see the spinners coming into play on both sides.

Could Morgan come in at 3? Apparently there is talk of that happening.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:11 am

Not sure what the problem is with Johnson. Maybe a little niggle and they are erring on the side of caution there.

I would rather see Smith in the side instead of Christian but maybe they are resting him because of his recent workload (last night) in the BBL.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:36 am

Decent enough start from Cook especially and Bell. Taking on Faulkner and Pattinson early on.

England are 22/0 after 4 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 3:58 am

Good referral from Cook (in hindsight) when given out lbw to Doherty. However hawkeye showed it going over the top of the bails.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:00 am

Great catch from Maxwell at cover to dismiss Cook off the bowling of Coulter-Nile.

50/1 after 9 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:17 am

Linebreaker wrote:Great catch from Maxwell at cover to dismiss Cook off the bowling of Coulter-Nile.

50/1 after 9 overs.

Was a fine catch. Just when Cook seemed to have had some luck going his way with the successful review...but never mind , he has given his team the brisk start they wanted ; up to others to build on it now.

Interesting choice of Stokes for number three. Probably worth trying.

I see both teams are treating this ODI series mainly as trialing for next year , judging by the resting/rotating. Sensible , I think.
I know fans want to see the best players all the time : but there is just too much cricket ; so if they don't get rested now and then they will no longer be the best players for long - even if they aren't getting injured.

Run out !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:25 am

Yes, he looked as though he was getting some mojo back, alfie.... just going for it, come what may... and it was paying off.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:38 am

Spinners keeping the lid on things well here , since the Bell run out.

Couple of great pieces of fielding by Australia have brought them back into a game which looked in danger of racing away from them in that opening stand.
England need a solid stand here ; but these two inexperienced players won't want to get tied down for too long.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:39 am

England 91/2 after 22 overs.

Run rate dropping back to around 4 now. Morgan and Buttler will have to do it again in the last 10-15 overs to get the score up around 300 by the looks of things.

Another successful challenge from Stokes - the ball was going over the stumps again. Looked pretty plumb at first glance live.

A stunning one-hander catch from Clarke gets Stokes now though...

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:45 am

It is in England's interest for Stokes to be out, he is batting at 2 runs an over
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 4:46 am

...but again England do not profit from an "escape"

Stokes immediately gone to another remarkable catch  clap 

Australian fielding has been fantastic !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:22 am

England are 131-4 after 30 overs.
But at least there is some sense in the selections. They might not prove good enough again, at least they have given themselves a chance with some sensible team selection. Good to see Tredwell in, and dumping Ranking is them acting sensible and nothing else.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:45 am

alfie wrote:

I see both teams are treating this ODI series mainly as trialing for next year , judging by the resting/rotating.

that is a strategy that is applicable to teams that are winning and high on confidence.
Losers must do whatever to get wins under the belt and gain confidence
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:46 am

I wonder how Clarke will try and stem the inevitable flow of runs about to come up from Morgan? Doesn't look so easy when there is not much pace on the ball... surely Pattinson, C-N and Faulkner will be targeted shortly.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:52 am

Quick question.

What do you call a Fly without wings?
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:54 am

dunno Biltong, grounded?

Bopara edges one to Haddin... maybe Buttler will have a better partnership with Morgs now.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:55 am

You call it a Walk.  Whistle 
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:55 am

Another unconverted start for Ravi Bopara, out for 21, England 177-5 after 40. Morgan the key yet again, and he has Buttler for company now.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:56 am

Half-century for Eoin Morgan.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sun 19 Jan 2014, 5:56 am

England has been very disappointing this summer, I have pretty much lost interest in watching this series
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:00 am

Nice catch from Dan Christian. He covered a fair bit of ground to gobble up a return catch from Morgan.

In other news.... Serena Williams has lost to Ana Ivanovic.  Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:33 am

Eng looking a batsman short.......another blunder to drop the talented Root Smile
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:41 am

Bresnan underlines his indispensable value to England by powering the total over 240  Smile 

It won't be enough. But the final flourish was spectacular ...almost Faulknerlike ...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Jan 2014, 6:52 am

Berdych wins the first set against Anderson. On that note time for me to get ready for work. Enjoy the rest of the day's tennis.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 7:02 am

KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:  

I see both teams are treating this ODI series mainly as trialing for next year , judging by the resting/rotating.

that is a strategy that is applicable to teams that are winning and high on confidence.

I don't agree with that , KP fan. England sent some of their better players home for a vital rest before even the matches started. And I think Australia would be rotating their bowlers even if they were 2-0 down instead of winning.
Which they should do. Injured/exhausted players aren't going to win you anything.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 7:20 am

243 runs might prove to be a tricky total to chase on this pitch. Ironically, it may have suited someone like Joe Root.
Another win for Australia is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Alfie, quite a few players were already sent home before this ODI series started.  Smile 

In Australia's case, the changes have been less forced although it was mentioned that they might give Haddin a rest for the next two matches. He does need a little break before the SA tour.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 7:27 am

alfie wrote:
KP_fan wrote:
alfie wrote:  

I don't agree with that , KP fan.  

OK..we can disagree
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:14 am

Finch departs for 22 runs, caught Bopara bowled Jordan.

Australia 50/1 after 8 overs.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:20 am

Linebreaker wrote:243 runs might prove to be a tricky total to chase on this pitch. Ironically, it may have suited someone like Joe Root.
Another win for Australia is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Alfie, quite a few players were already sent home before this ODI series started.  Smile 

In Australia's case, the changes have been less forced although it was mentioned that they might give Haddin a rest for the next two matches. He does need a little break before the SA tour.

Haha , lb ...but I was referring to Anderson and KP ...and I think Swann was also set to be rested even before his surprise retirement. Plus of course Broad had the first two matches off.

Australia of course would be foolish to bash away with the same players all the time with a SA trip only weeks away. I heard the Haddin rest plan too : but so far they are still keeping him going....

Maybe don't want to break his hot streak ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:32 am

Well it appears us armchair selectors are taking a hammering here.
England really could've used the extra batsman in root and his bowling to try and get some kind of control whilst the quicks got hammered.

On the plus side ... Cook got over 30!
:/

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:39 am

It crossed my mind that Root's bowling might be missed more than his batting here , PSB.

But I think they wanted to give Ballance more game time ; and I am not sure anyone else could have been left out for Tredwell without upsetting the balance ( no pun intended )

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 8:40 am

They'll rest Haddin in Perth and Adelaide... is what I heard, alfie.

Tredders not doing a bad job here.

Australia 88/1 after 15 overs

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:00 am

well eng looking down the barrell.......it will be morale deflating should they lose the series 5-0
and a combined score of 10-0
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:03 am

Warner caught by Bell off the bowling of Stokes for 71.

Oz 121/2.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:04 am

It feels like England are never in the match until Warner's wicket falls. If he's at the crease we just don't have anyone who can keep pace with his scoring rate.

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:21 am

alfie wrote:It crossed my mind that Root's bowling might be missed more than his batting here , PSB.

But I think they wanted to give Ballance more game time ; and I am not sure anyone else could have been left out for Tredwell without upsetting the balance ( no pun intended )

Oh for sure. This was the team pretty much all if us agreed would and should be put out, but as it turns out its been even less competitive than the batting heavy one.
They also appear to have gone for a more aggressive approach .. Pushing stokes up the order and waiting longer to go to the containing bowling rather than sticking with the strike bowlers. That failed as well.

Ho hum, I guess we just have to accept England simply aren't good enough.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:23 am

Sangakkara wrote:It feels like England are never in the match until Warner's wicket falls. If he's at the crease we just don't have anyone who can keep pace with his scoring rate.

Welcome to the site, Sangakkara.   

Yeah, Warner is our Sehwag-type aggressive batsman.

He grew up not far from the SCG in Matraville... which is close to the sea but is quite a 'tough' area of Sydney. That probably explains his bullish attitude to the game... and him being a little rough around the edges sometimes. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:33 am

Thanks Linebreaker. Nice to see such an active cricket section.

I think England could do with a player or two who are rough around the edges. They look like a team of softies right now, particularly the test team (Stokes aside)

It may have drawn some criticism but I really enjoyed Warner and Australia's in your face approach to this tour. It was exciting to watch. And Johnson's sniping comical and intimidating in equal measure.

More of it please. If Test Match cricket is to survive in the modern era then you're doing to need some tasty feisty rivalries to look forward to. That ain't going to happen if everyone is nice to each other.

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:44 am

They (the commentary team) were just talking to George Bailey about 1/2 an hour ago. He is a quiet sort of chap but he told everyone that Anderson "had it in for him... for some reason" during that controversial episode on the pitch in Brisbane. He (Jimmy) said something like "I'm gonna smash your face" (because he was wearing a big helmet fielding at silly point). That's when Clarke stepped in and uttered his famous words.

Not saying that some type of banter shouldn't happen but there should be a line which is not stepped over. Maybe Jimmy was trying to unsettle Bailey but in this instance it all kind of backfired on him and the rest of the England team. Pretty fiery stuff.

Bopara clean bowls Clarke. ... he must have heard me.  Smile 

Australia 173/3... 21 overs left.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:55 am

Nice bowling from Ravi so far.

Do you think the Aussies raw agression was a reaction to Anderson crossing the line then, or it was a pre-existing strategy that was only intensified by the Anderson/Bailey altercation?

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:58 am

well,... this series has really exposed English cricket hasn't it.

there's a real sense of being utterly outclassed here now.  Going to take years to rebuild I suspect.  We can enjoy many years of thrashings and Aussie dominance now. 

we only need to sort the batting, bowling, fielding and leadership and we'll be sorted.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 19 Jan 2014, 9:59 am

Sangakkara wrote:
Do you think the Aussies raw agression was a reaction to Anderson crossing the line then, or it was a pre-existing strategy that was only intensified by the Anderson/Bailey altercation?

Mostly likely a pre-existing strategy... triggered by Jimmy.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

trebellbobaggins wrote:well,... this series has really exposed English cricket hasn't it.

there's a real sense of being utterly outclassed here now.  Going to take years to rebuild I suspect.  We can enjoy many years of thrashings and Aussie dominance now. 

we only need to sort the batting, bowling, fielding and leadership and we'll be sorted.

Nah , trebs ...if you are back on duty I look forward to winning the next two ODIs and sweeping the t20  Smile 

We know who the real key player is in this team...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:05 am

Sangakkara wrote:
I think England could do with a player or two who are rough around the edges.
let Flower show he can digest one first  Cool 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:06 am

well..  cancelling sky and stopping watching in protest and the greed of two Ashes in one year didn't go well for them did it.

I think they're on their own now, i shan't be buying the TV again, haven't missed it one jot.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:07 am

trebellbobaggins wrote:well,... this series has really exposed English cricket hasn't it.

or sort out the main coach...and rest will fall in place  Cool 
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sangakkara Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

You're not wrong trebell.

The thing I'm still astounded by is Flower's interview where he said he "saw this coming".

If he saw it coming and didn't do anything pro-active to try and stop it then it would indicate that it will be a painfully slow process, if every stage is going to be reactionary.

Sangakkara

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 19 Jan 2014, 10:09 am

It seems to me that when things go wrong for England it happens almost immediately and they can't turn it around (this series and the one in the UAE). Whether this is an issue with an inability to adapt when under the cosh under unfavourable conditions abroad or whether that's just the nature of tours themselves - I don't know. I don't think England have ever been that good in the ODI series compared to the test series. And Australia are the type of team that appeared to have developed a culture that there are no "dead rubber" matches and when they were the top side in test matches they were also generally the top side in ODI.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next