The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again)

+19
Breadvan
doctor_grey
quinsforever
The Great Aukster
Engine#4
Biltong
rodders
Jhamer25
mystiroakey
gregortree
Scratch
No 7&1/2
Hood83
TJ
GunsGerms
ChequeredJersey
Notch
Cyril
GloriousEmpire
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again) - Page 2 Empty Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again)

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 23 Jan 2014, 9:17 am

First topic message reminder :

In the latest twist of the saga that just won't die, victorious Lions coach Warren Gatland has bizarrely baited Irish fans over Brian O'Driscoll's dumping from the final Lions test.

He has chosen the launch of what will be one of the most fiercely contested Six Nations championships in years to pick at the old scab according to the bastion of journalism, the Daily Mail.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11190951

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2544139/Gatland-pleas-Ireland-fans-ODriscoll-sent-Christmas-card-dont-boo-me.html

Is this just creative journalistic timing? or does Gatland seriously want to provoke the Irish before the six nations clash? was this part of his plan all along?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again) - Page 2 Empty Re: Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again)

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

NZ'ers like to drop him, first Umaga did it, then Gatland did it because BOD objected to the previous.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again) - Page 2 Empty Re: Gatland Rattles Bees Nest (again)

Post by Scrumpy Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:27 am

What a Turnip.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 24 Jan 2014, 10:30 am

He's signed for Munster?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:31 pm

Griff wrote:Doctor_grey, did you read the articles?  I can't see where Gatland is stirring the pot.  He comes across very well in those articles I think (the quotes I mean, not the journalistic spin bits and the sensationalist headlines).
To be fair, I only skimmed a few of the articles, but in no depth. Maybe I was reading the spin and not the actual quotes.
At this point in time, reading about O'Driscoll-Gatland is like fingernails on a chalkboard.  

I hope Gatland gets a good reaction.  As long as nothing crosses the line, it should add to the fun of the occasion.

Besides, I was having a bit 'o fun with GE there.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:39 pm

I wonder if Gatland shouldn't get a suspension for bringing the game into disrepute with this childish and public stand off with an opposition player.

He's already revealed earlier in his carreer that he has a problem with the Irish in general.

Very unprofessional.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:49 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:I wonder if Gatland shouldn't get a suspension for bringing the game into disrepute with this childish and public stand off with an opposition player.

He's already revealed earlier in his carreer that he has a problem with the Irish in general.

Very unprofessional.

Let's see some direct quotes of this problem then GG. You really are scraping the barrel with your wums nowadays. Sad to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:51 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:I wonder if Gatland shouldn't get a suspension for bringing the game into disrepute with this childish and public stand off with an opposition player.

Very unprofessional.

lol/

you crack me up dude

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 12:57 pm

Risca Rev wrote:

Very unprofessional.

Let's see some direct quotes of this problem then GG. You really are scraping the barrel with your wums nowadays. Sad to see.

Direct quote? Here you go:

"‘The players’ experiences against Ireland and their experiences at provincial level against Leinster and Munster haven’t always been the greatest, so they are very motivated,’ said Gatland. ‘We’ve even talked about how, out of all the teams in the Six Nations, the Welsh players dislike the Irish players the most.’"

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:00 pm

"‘We’ve even talked about how, out of all the teams in the Six Nations, the Welsh players dislike the Irish players the most.’""

did he really say that.

Maybe I am to far out of the loop. But that is bang out of order if he said that

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:04 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Very unprofessional.

"‘The players’ experiences against Ireland and their experiences at provincial level against Leinster and Munster haven’t always been the greatest, so they are very motivated,’ said Gatland. ‘We’ve even talked about how, out of all the teams in the Six Nations, the Welsh players dislike the Irish players the most.’"

Here you go what? He states the players have a problem, if anything. I can't see anything saying about his problems. Try again GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:05 pm

mystiroakey wrote:"‘We’ve even talked about how, out of all the teams in the Six Nations, the Welsh players dislike the Irish players the most.’""

did he really say that.

Maybe I am to far out of the loop. But that is bang out of order if he said that

Yeah, welcome to 2009.

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:14 pm

But its still 2003 Risca

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm

Risca Rev wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Very unprofessional.

Here you go what? He states the players have a problem, if anything. I can't see anything saying about his problems. Try again GG

Well, ask yourself who would say such a thing, even if it were true?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:18 pm

Gatling Gob must have been murder to referee in his playing years.
I imagine he gave plenty of advice to the ref all game. Anyone remember any incidents ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:37 pm

gregortree wrote:Gatling Gob must have been murder to referee in his playing years.
I imagine he gave plenty of advice to the ref all game. Anyone remember any incidents ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2333570/Warren-Gatland-beats-Lions-playing-Waikato-1993.html

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:39 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=675nDQFhmLk

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:43 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Thats kinda of one of my points. The NZ press is so anglo centric that any opinion on any European affairs comes filtered through the British press. Can they not do their own research?

Ireland has just a small population but yet the journalism here is of a much higher standard. A paper is either a tabliod paper or it isnt.

I'm, not familiar with the Irish press. Is it of a much higher standard than the British Press? It would have to work pretty hard to be worse than the Daily Fail. Which papers would you recommend from Ireland ?- I 'd appreciate reading some real journalism and might be able to find it online.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

Irish times. www.irishtimes.ie Personally I think it is better than most papers I read in Britain. The daily mail is only good if I want to see what diet proudlock from made in chelsea is on etc.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:50 pm

nobbled wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:Thats kinda of one of my points. The NZ press is so anglo centric that any opinion on any European affairs comes filtered through the British press. Can they not do their own research?

Ireland has just a small population but yet the journalism here is of a much higher standard. A paper is either a tabliod paper or it isnt.

I'm, not familiar with the Irish press. Is it of a much higher standard than the British Press? It would have to work pretty hard to be worse than the Daily Fail. Which papers would you recommend from Ireland ?- I 'd appreciate reading some real journalism and might be able to find it online.

Let's hope it's improved from 2009! Where the ombudsman' report found that less than 50% of articles we're entirely correct.

http://www.pressombudsman.ie/_fileupload/Accuracy%20research%20report%200609%20(Final).pdf

"In a separate fact-check of 54 newspaper items, it was found that 25 items (46%) contained no error. As it happens, this was precisely the same percentage of source- responses that rated the articles reviewed as containing no error. This left 29 items (54%) in which the researchers found some error."

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:51 pm

GunsGerms wrote:Irish times. www.irishtimes.ie Personally I think it is better than most papers I read in Britain. The daily mail is only good if I want to see what diet proudlock from made in chelsea is on etc.

Cheers - I'll take a look.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 1:56 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
gregortree wrote:Gatling Gob must have been murder to referee in his playing years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2333570/Warren-Gatland-beats-Lions-playing-Waikato-1993.html

thanks GE clap .. my, he had to jog all 3 yards to score that one. He was a bit breathless and lost for words, but who wouldn't be after that jog.

PS: I'm worried about your relationship with the Daily Mail... its pretty left wing y'know... and might give you strange ideas.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:00 pm

Where was the lions defense? It all looked like slow motion.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:02 pm

the daily mail is right wing George

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:05 pm

Mystir, my name is Gregor, and yes I know...now where is that whistle ?  Whistle

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:06 pm

Nice hair!

For a Turnip.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:08 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:Where was the lions defense? It all looked like slow motion.

They stopped for a fag and a swig from the bucket, while Gats was poncing around scoring.
Amateurs.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:44 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Very unprofessional.

Well, ask yourself who would say such a thing, even if it were true?

Ian Paisley?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:47 pm

laughing 

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:48 pm

gregortree wrote:Mystir, my name is Gregor, and yes I know...now where is that whistle ?  Whistle
Sorry Greg  zen 

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 24 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm

Hug 

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan 2014, 3:47 pm

If Ireland plays badly against Wales and BOD gets dropped, they can blame Gatland again.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:08 pm

rodders wrote:
Ian Paisley?

Classic Rodders. Haha!!!

Speaking of Ulstermen with a big presence Philip Matthews was in my office today for some reason. Legend.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Jan 2014, 4:27 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Nice hair!

For a Turnip.

Your repetitive turnip banter is hilarious too. Laugh a minute on here at the minute.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Fri 24 Jan 2014, 5:19 pm

Is Scrumpy made from turnips….makes sense

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Fri 24 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Very unprofessional.

At long last GE unearths a reason for the inexplicable dropping of BOD - so Gatland's hand was forced by player power.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Sat 25 Jan 2014, 7:45 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:
nobbled wrote:

Let's hope it's improved from 2009! Where the ombudsman' report found that less than 50% of articles we're entirely correct.

http://www.pressombudsman.ie/_fileupload/Accuracy%20research%20report%200609%20(Final).pdf

"In a separate fact-check of 54 newspaper items, it was found that 25 items (46%) contained no error. As it happens, this was precisely the same percentage of source- responses that rated the articles reviewed as containing no error. This left 29 items (54%) in which the researchers found some error."

Does NZ even have an ombudsman? Is it a sheep?

And if 50% of your articles were correct GE you wouldn't be a Daily Mail reader which you patently are.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

Gatland is a bit of a tosspot to be fair.

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:31 am

Scratch wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
nobbled wrote:

And if 50% of your articles were correct GE you wouldn't be a Daily Mail reader which you patently are.

We would never allow the sacred sheep to occupy such an undignified post. That would just be cruelty to animals.

NZ journalism is self-regulated under the journalism standards committee which was established in the 1970's and has a mandate suspiciously almost identical to Britain's recently (2011) formed press complaints commission. Another example of NZ showing the way for Britain 30 years earlier. Much like the vote for women and the labour movement.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:30 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Scratch wrote:
GloriousEmpire wrote:
nobbled wrote:

We would never allow the sacred sheep to occupy such an undignified post. That would just be cruelty to animals.

NZ journalism is self-regulated under the journalism standards committee which was established in the 1970's and has a mandate suspiciously almost identical to Britain's recently (2011) formed press complaints commission.  Another example of NZ showing the way for Britain 30 years earlier. Much like the vote for women and the labour movement.
So YOU are to blame?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 25 Jan 2014, 1:48 pm

So why is it that the only press from NZ we get to read about over this side of the world is from the NZherald - a paper which makes the daily fail look open minded

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 26 Jan 2014, 12:23 am

Perhaps an inherent parochialism makes you unwilling to seek out opinions and perspectives from foreign press outlets? I don't know, you can't blame others for your own eurocentricity surely?

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 26 Jan 2014, 7:06 am

The NZ Herald is full to brimming with reports from UK writers when it comes to anything outside NZ.

The NZ TV News is the same.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 26 Jan 2014, 10:39 am

Yeah. There's truth there. Its a hang over from NZ's close association with Britain. If you look outside the English speaking media you find more diversity of opinion and viewpoint. But that of course involves learning languages other than English, which those of English descent are generally fairly poor at.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by slane Sun 26 Jan 2014, 10:56 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:

Very unprofessional.

When did Gatland say this?

slane

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 26 Jan 2014, 11:32 am

Google is your friend

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 26 Jan 2014, 11:33 am

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-coach-gatland-stays-clear-1844896

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2