The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight

+10
KingMonkey
TRUSSMAN66
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
mobilemaster8
jimdig
milkyboy
rob-glos
Strongback
hazharrison
14 posters

Go down

Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight Empty Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight

Post by hazharrison Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:06 pm

Bit of a trend of late. Fielding six pounds over (realised he couldn't make 168 this morning and so didn't bother trying).

Loses Commonwealth strap (Adamu can still win it) but I don't believe Adamu's been compensated financially.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight Empty Re: Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight

Post by Strongback Fri 14 Mar 2014, 8:24 pm

It starts at the top with the best fighters and biggest promoters and trickles down to the average fighters and promoters.

Same thing with big fights being impossible to make because big fighters and promoters have in recent refuse to work with each other. This is now endemic in the sport.

When Spain won the World Cup everybody rejoiced because attractive attacking football was a winner and this style of play went on to greatly influence world football.  What boxing has is dreadful behaviour from some of its biggest players and that rot has infiltrated all of boxing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight Empty Re: Rocky Fielding Fails To Make Weight

Post by rob-glos Fri 14 Mar 2014, 9:11 pm

Nothing Special K didn't even bother. 

They made his fight at 151. 
What's the point?

He's supposed to be a world title challenger... You'd think making 147 would be good practice.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 14 Mar 2014, 9:29 pm

Think there's a big difference between title and none title fights. Throughout history guys have regularly fought above their championship weight in none title fights. Its fine if the actual weight limit is agreed at the time of the match bring made. Big if, obviously.

Do agree though, that if your championship weight is 147, its good practice to get used to making the weight and fighting at it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 14 Mar 2014, 10:18 pm

If in Brooks case its a final eliminator (although I'm sure I've heard that somewhere before), you'd expect fighting in the same weight category as the title your supposed to be challenging for, would be a prerequisite.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 14 Mar 2014, 10:45 pm

milkyboy wrote:Think there's a big difference between title and none title fights. Throughout history guys have regularly fought above their championship weight in none title fights. Its fine if the actual weight limit is agreed at the time of the match bring made. Big if, obviously.

Do agree though, that if your championship weight is 147, its good practice to get used to making the weight and fighting at it.

Salido didn't bother making weight in a title fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:17 pm

Brook is just a waste of space. Period.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:21 pm

hazharrison wrote:Bit of a trend of late. Fielding six pounds over (realised he couldn't make 168 this morning and so didn't bother trying).

Loses Commonwealth strap (Adamu can still win it) but I don't believe Adamu's been compensated financially.

Just read he was 174lbs which is just taking the pi$$.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:26 am

Brooks fight isn't a final eliminator.

Not too unhappy with it in my world as I need Fielding to win on my accumulator and that gives him a massive edge... However for boxing it sets a bad trend, it's unfortunate also due to the fact that the fight after could have been Fielding Vs. Paul Smith which would be a bigger fight if both British and Commonwealth Titles were on the line.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Sat 15 Mar 2014, 8:43 am

I'm surprised Fielding missed weight, and missed weight so badly. He was pretty much next in line for a British shot but this will but a dent in those hopes, missing by 6lbs is unacceptable though.

The Brook issue is a joke, he should be making a point of getting down to 147 and not settling for these stupid catchweights.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:37 pm

Think this lad has some issues........He's basically nearly failed to make 175........Which is highly unprofessional behaviour and his opponent should have pulled out...Or been given significantly more money....Hope he was !!

Fact is not only was he unprofessional in training he compounded the error by looking completely average on the night and pretty clueless against a guy who looked well past it !!

Don't see a future for this kid...........Callum smith I imagine gets him soon and he'll slap him about....

You have to take boxing seriously to be any good at it.....This kid's attitude is all wrong......even worse he hasn't the talent to make up for the attitude.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:41 pm

Never mind his attitude, have you heard the bloke talk? He must have the IQ of a banana. Going nowhere. If anything he is already overacheiving.

What a God-awful card Saturday turned out to be.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 17 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

By all accounts the gap would have been narrower but Hearn advised him not to put himself out and so he had breakfast, rehydrated etc.

I don't for one minute imagine Adamu would have been afforded the same treatment.

There's a bit of a noise in the press at the minute about how ludicrous day before weigh-ins are. It would be great if someone picked it up and ran with it to get something done.

There also needs to be standardised sanctions against fighters who miss weight. At least one instance recently -- Salido against Lomachenko -- looked tactical, which needs wheedling out before it becomes an epidemic.

As for Fielding: I think Hearn feeds him to Smith (Paul) sooner than planned.

Last edited by hazharrison on Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by rob-glos Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:02 pm

The way Paul Smith was talking about Fielding on Saturday I think he's more likely to vacate and let Callum batter Rocky for the vacant title.

rob-glos

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:04 pm

What do you want done about it Haz ?

I for one don't want to see anymore Duk koo Kim tragedies...Or scenarios where a boxer is in the sauna the day of the fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

I prefer the same day weigh in as then if a boxer is draining themselves to be at a weight it's them taking the risk and they can always move up if they want. You shouldn't get situations like Gatti vs Gamache where Gatti must have added a huge amount of weight after the weigh in and knocked Gamache out in a sickening manner doing some permanent damage I believe. Also I'm sure Broner could have put some real hurt on people when he was a Super Featherweight if he choose to step on the gas a bit more when he was out weighing people by about 15lbs. Coming in massive from a day before weigh in puts the opponent at risk whereas same day weigh ins put the person trying to gain an advantage at more risk and that for me is a better option.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:20 pm

Boxers are too brave for their own good..........They'd gladly take risks.......Or be pressured to take them..

Boxing is a mercenary business.......Like these poor girls who appear in sex films.........If they aren't prepared to do it.......You won't work again and we'll get someone else!! etc....

Dehydration is a killer..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 17 Mar 2014, 1:28 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:What do you want done about it Haz ?

I for one don't want to see anymore Duk koo Kim tragedies...Or scenarios where a boxer is in the sauna the day of the fight..

I'd like to see them revert back to same day weigh-ins with a drive for fighters to enter the ring close to the weight they weighed in at. Weight should be monitored regularly in the build-up in an effort to stop fighters crashing at the last minute (by dehydrating themselves). There'd obviously be issues for promoters (should a fighter have to be pulled out) but they shouldn't be insurmountable and could possibly be remedied by having a stand-in ready as a contingency (perhaps already scheduled for the bill).

Too often these days, we end up with a fight where both men, naturally, belong in different divisions. Alvarez and Angulo weren't junior middleweights the other week -- they were super middleweights. Salido was a welterweight and Lomachenko a lightweight. God only knows where Chavez Jr. belongs.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 17 Mar 2014, 2:03 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Boxers are too brave for their own good..........They'd gladly take risks.......Or be pressured to take them..

Boxing is a mercenary business...Like these poor girls who appear in sex films.........If they aren't prepared to do it.......You won't work again and we'll get someone else!! etc....

Dehydration is a killer..

Have you tried just asking them nicely instead truss?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:07 pm

The fight should just simply be cancelled. Eddie Mustapha Muhammad's fight with Michael Spinks was cancelled years ago when Muhammad couldn't make the weight of 175lbs. Nobody died, boxing didn't fall apart and hopefully everyone got to sue Eddie Muhammad.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:25 pm

Agreed. This is the trouble...there's no real middle ground. The elite look for any edge that they can, and that could lead to crazy attempts to make weight right before a fight - disaster. haz's idea about closely monitoring weight would be ideal; if only things could be that efficient!

I hope it doesn't take a tragedy - or even someone just getting absolutely pancaked by a guy much bigger than him - to start inciting some change.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

My opinion on this has always been that a fighter can't put on more than 5% weight between weigh in and a cut off period the day of the fight. This stop fighters potentially coming in dehydrated which is dangerous and also stops people like Chavez Junior coming in huge in comparison to opponents.

5% is just a made up figure btw and just using for the purposes of example.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:02 pm

Realistically, monitoring weight could only happen for title/big money fights. Personally I think the best compromise would be a strict percentage allowable increase between day before weigh in and fight night weight. It doesn't entirely solve either of the dehydration v coming in huge issues but limits the effects of both. It's also simple to implement.

The separate issue is the penalty for failure to comply. If the fight was automatically cancelled and the 'wronged party' was given both purses (guaranteed by the promoter)... Promoters would be less keen to cut their golden boys so much slack. They'd also self police the weight monitoring to make sure it didn't happen... Something they could build into contracts.

Hey we can dream.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:05 pm

Sorry Pedro. Took a call, and didn't refresh. Otherwise i'd just have said ditto

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:09 pm

milkyboy wrote:Sorry Pedro. Took a call, and didn't refresh.

Add some coffee to the milk your Mrs has just asked you to get....Just drank the last of it !! Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:10 pm

I like your idea of giving the wronged fighter both purses milky. I think that if the fight was allowed to go ahead, the fighter who didn't make weight shouldn't in anyway make money for the fight. He didn't follow his contract so he should lose out.

Question though. Has the fighter who has made weight, ever won the fight were his opponent hasn't made the weight?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:19 pm

WTF would the guy fight for.........If he wasn't going to get paid...

If it's a headline fight.........Promoter has a problem......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:WTF would the guy fight for.........If he wasn't going to get paid...

If it's a headline fight.........Promoter has a problem......
Why bother to make weight then if all he has to pay is a small penalty?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:28 pm

A late cancellation could be costly for the Promoter.........

No one is going to fight for nothing..........and nor should they !!.......

No real answer for this............Except a few extra pennies for the disadvantaged fighter If he's not the housefighter..............If it isn't the housefighter who's overweight then sack him off and get a last minute replacement..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:A late cancellation could be costly for the Promoter.........

No one is going to fight for nothing..........and nor should they !!.......

No real answer for this............Except a few extra pennies for the disadvantaged fighter If he's not the housefighter..............If it isn't the housefighter who's overweight then sack him off and get a last minute replacement..
If just one major fighter was made to fight for nothing then I bet the problem of fighters not making weight would not be an issue.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:41 pm

It should be a percentage take of their take home pay (rather than base pay). For instance, Alvarez's base pay for Angulo was just over a million but he probably cleared nearer $8m.

You take 50% of that purse from him and I bet he shifts that last pound!

I'm amazed the alphabets aren't all over it anyway -- money-grabbing parasites.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 17 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

They might fight for nothing if the alternative was a large fine and/or ban.

Of course, all this would require a central governing body like most other sports,.. And one that wasn't corrupt, like some other sports!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down