The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fights you got right - against consensus!!!

+9
Steffan
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Rodney
Mind the windows Tino.
fearlessBamber
Daz
Rowley
88Chris05
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Fights you got right - against consensus!!! Empty Fights you got right - against consensus!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 10:59 am

Feels good when you pick someone to win albeit an underdog and not given much hope by the Boxing community..Doesn't happen often but when it does it's a good moment...Here are some underdogs I picked to win and they came through....

FORREST v Mosley......Like Leonard against Hearns I figured on Mosley struggling with the height and reach...

STARLING v Honey.......Just thought Honey thought at that stage of his career he could just bomb people out with no plan B..looked awful against Yung kil chung..Only concern was what the Molinares punch had taken out of Marlon..

NORRIS V Mugabi.......Never rated the best...Norris always had class...

TAYLOR V Chavez ......well nearly..

Any more for anymore..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Fights you got right - against consensus!!! Empty Re: Fights you got right - against consensus!!!

Post by 88Chris05 Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am

Ayup Trussman, will offer the five I gave on the 'worst predictions' thread the other day. Some of my better picks against the odds have been: Margarito beating Cotto, Bradley beating Witter, Barrera beating Hamed, Brewster beating Klitschko first time out and Prescott beating Khan.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Fights you got right - against consensus!!! Empty Re: Fights you got right - against consensus!!!

Post by Rowley Wed May 25, 2011 11:08 am

Picked Ward to bear Kessler which seemed to go against the grain at the time. Also had Manny beating Hatton, not sure if this counts as against the grain but on the old 606 I was certainly in the minority.

As you posted a weel nearly I also backed Botha to beat Tyson and maintain Tyson should have been disqualified in that one for trying to break his arm, cost me a couple of quid that ref.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Wed May 25, 2011 11:09 am

I had Prescott beating Khan. Stuck a tenner on it as well.

Prince Arron winning prizefighter - put a cheeky tenner on that as well at 13/1.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am

You've had some left field predictions go right there Chris..Certainly would've won more money in the betting shops than my picks..

Never thought Barrera had a chance against Naz or Prescott v Khan...

Suppose Marg-Cotto is a bit contentious but Bradley-Witter was a good call...

Always thought Junior was better than he ultimately was..

cheers.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed May 25, 2011 11:14 am

McCall Lewis 1 (everyone thought I was a genius at home, but forgot I had also picked Ruddock to flatten him and Tucker to outpoint him Smile)

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:17 am

Rowley I always thought Tyson got away with stuff no other fighter could because the referee was scared of a riot if he finished it early......

No earthly reason why Tyson didn't go after the first ear ripping bite on Holyfield...I mean come on!!

MCcall-Lewis is a great call...never thought the sparring partner could do that...Were you peeing in the dark or did you think mccall had something Lewis would struggle with??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed May 25, 2011 11:18 am

Truss, Have to go with Chris on the Hamed v Barrera. Told all my friends that Hamed would lose and got mocked for days leading up to the fight.

Lewis v Ruddock. Can't remember what the concensus was but still happy with that one as I predicted a KO before halfway.

That's about it really as I am generally hopeless.

Holyfield to beat Tyson. Actually that's a lie. Think only Ron Borges of the Boston Globe got that one right!

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 am

Thought Marco was shot and he'd be laid out flat.....Glad I was wrong really.

Think Lewis was a slight favorite after Razor's defeats to Mike but it was a close match on paper...

Lewis cleverly kept away from the left....

As for hopeless I picked Jackson to beat Mccallum and Biggs to beat Tyson..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed May 25, 2011 11:26 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:MCcall-Lewis is a great call...never thought the sparring partner could do that...Were you peeing in the dark or did you think mccall had something Lewis would struggle with??

Peeing in the dark really. I was very unconvinced by Lewis's style and the way he hung his left hand out after the jab. To be honest I still don't like his lazy style and slightly off rhythm movement. Can't deny his legacy as a great heavy now though.

The prediction is devalued as I also backed Tua and Ruddock to beat him - purely on the basis they were durable big punchers. I was really shocked by the Ruddock fight - not shocked enough to believe in Lewis though.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed May 25, 2011 11:27 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You've had some left field predictions go right there Chris..Certainly would've won more money in the betting shops than my picks..

Had plenty of stinkers to balance the ledger though, Truss! I think with a lot of good predictions against the odds, there's always a little bit of gut feeling to go with the more methodical reasoning. From the outset, there was no real reason to predict that Margarito would beat Cotto, but there was just something telling me that he was all wrong for him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed May 25, 2011 11:28 am

Morning Truss, some good picks in there.

Havent done too well when having a think about it but recent ones Like Chris, I picked Margarito to beat Cotto just figured he had the style to give Miguel a very hard night. Had predicted Hopkins doing a number on Pavlik. Also had Kennedy McKinney beating Junior Jones a few years back not in such emphatic fashion though. Told all my casual fight friends who hadn't heard of the GMAN that McClellan would bang Benn in one round, well nearly, helping hand from the ropes, the ref and Benn's tremendous will prevented me looking chicken of the north for a few weeks. Did have a couple of quid on Groves at 10/1 to win on PTS at the weekend but was outdone by putting it as a double with Pascal, bad move.

Some bad ones, predicted Trinidad would ice Winky Wright, Kostya to dismantle Hatton with relative ease, Mosley over Wright & the one you might enjoy the most Truss, had picked your mate Honey would roll back the years and beat Breland, should've known better when I seen him enter the ring in Nicks sponsered shorts and that ridiculous hair-cut.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:33 am

Nobody expected to see Honey so far shot against Breland. Whilst I didn't like the guy I didn't enjoy watching that fight.....Thought Mclellan would destroy Benn too...Shame that Benn's wonderful gutsy performance became tarnished with events straight after..

Mckinney vs Jones is a good call......Never saw that coming.......as for Hoppo v Pavlik never saw that either..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am

Pacquiao to beat Oscar when most of the old board were saying it was little more than a freak show.

MAB to beat naz, Holyfield to beat Tyson and Hopkins to beat pavlik are a few of my better ones.

Funny chris should mention Prescott to beat khan. 5 minutes before that fight they showed Prescott in his dressing room and I said to my mate this guy looks like he could be dangerous. I quickly tried to get a bet on Prescott to win by ko (20/1 were the odds at coral) but the naff broadband I had at the time wouldn't let me deposit funds in my betting account quick enough to get it on, and by the time I'd finished swearing at the laptop khan was being scooped off the floor with fwank having some sort of seizure at ringside.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 am

I said Hopkins would beat Pavlik even though no one else agreed on here

I said Mayweather would beat Hatton even though no one else agreed on here

My mates said Tyson would beat Lewis and I said no chance

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 am

Not being funny but why did you think a shot Holy could beat Tyson..

Helluva call that one..

I was worried about the real deal's health.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed May 25, 2011 11:39 am

Me neither Truss, seemed everytime Breland touched Honeyghan whiskers he had him going.

Good call Sugar boy on the Pacquiao v De La Hoya fight, I think If I remember rightly I even wrote a full article on what a poor match-up it was & De La Hoya couldn't lose.

Did anyone pick Honey over Curry ?? Whistle

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

Rodney wrote:Me neither Truss, seemed everytime Breland touched Honeyghan whiskers he had him going.

Good call Sugar boy on the Pacquiao v De La Hoya fight, I think If I remember rightly I even wrote a full article on what a poor match-up it was & De La Hoya couldn't lose.

Did anyone pick Honey over Curry ?? Whistle

Cheers

Rodders

I guess Truss must have - I mean the writing was on the wall with the weight troubles and Curry's small face.

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:43 am

I picked Mayweather to beat Hatton as did Azumah and quite a few others Steff..sorry to burst your bubble.

Floyd was the favorite!!

Don't think the guys out of one flew over the cuckoos nest even picked Honey to win....

In fairness I was surprised..we were told to expect a stand up predictable European fighter...We hadn't heard much of him although he had Horace Shufford on his record..

Though we were always quick to write off europeans back then...

no offence intended.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by fearlessBamber Wed May 25, 2011 11:45 am

Didn't most of us pick Floyd in that one ?

fearlessBamber

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed May 25, 2011 11:47 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I picked Mayweather to beat Hatton as did Azumah and quite a few others Steff..sorry to burst your bubble.

Agreed. I guess we did have a huge flooding of English football fans prior to the fight who all predicted "Hatton knock Floyds head off" so maybe I was aiming that at them. And yes ofcourse you picked Floyd to win the fight he is American after all...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed May 25, 2011 11:49 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not being funny but why did you think a shot Holy could beat Tyson..

Helluva call that one..

I was worried about the real deal's health.

Because he's as hard as nails and I knew he wouldn't be intimidated, just as buster wasn't.

Was only 17 at the time, all my mates were bigging up Tyson based on his reputation. I'd not been that impressed with him post prison and decided to buck the trend and announce that Holyfield was gonna do him. Won a couple of quid off all my pals watching it that night, peanuts really but it meant a lot at the time!
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 am

I was a little too young when Honey Curry fought I'd have been around seven at the time, but to be honest I dont think from what I know none of the boxing writers even give him a chance. I did read in an old Boxing News mag many moons ago they had actually predicted Tony Sibson doing a number on Hagler abroad, which I believe the elder statesmen might confirm (Windy, Jimmy etc) wasn't that big of a controversial pick at the time, I guess many didn't Hagler was so great.

Cheers

Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed May 25, 2011 11:52 am

Froch v Taylor: Had Froch late T/KO
Margarito v Cotto Had £5 each on 10, 11 and 12 T/KO
Sanders v Wlad: Said Sanders would blast him out of there
Rocky Fielding to win Prizefighter. Little bit of bias but still had £10 @ 9/1

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed May 25, 2011 11:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I picked Mayweather to beat Hatton as did Azumah and quite a few others Steff..sorry to burst your bubble.

Are you sure! I think I can vaguely remember you picking Hatton. Or I am getting mixed up with Hatton v Pac?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 am

Lewis - Golota. Even got the round right! Everyone seemed to be saying it would be a tough fight for Lewis, but he wanted (and needed!) to make a statement.

Lacy-Calzaghe - not many were giving Joe a chance.

I had a bet with my friend about Trinidad - De La Hoya. Yes the decision could have (should have) gone the other way, but that was my fiver!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 am

Just remembered I picked Haugen to beat Jimmy Paul which was quite a big shock ......IBF light...

Then again I thought Mayweather would wipe the floor with Lockridge...and Gomez would have too much power for Salvador...

We had respect for Sibson and some of us envisaged a harder nights work for Marvin....

Sibson was born at the wrong time.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 am

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Rocky Fielding to win Prizefighter. Little bit of bias but still had £10 @ 9/1

That was one of my better picks, too.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm

I picked Hatton to belt out Manny in 6 Soldier..

Always thought at 147 that Hatton would struggle with Mayweather even more than at 140...

Hatton was really a light welter...and a bloody good one..

Thought Kosta would have too much but he proved me wrong..

great fighter was Ricky..

I thought Danny Williams was going to win Prizefighter Doh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm

You weren't the only one Truss, I told everyone who would listen to me that Hatton wouldnt last 3 rounds with Kostya, great night that one though.

Just thinking back I maybes was even took in by the excellent amateur Jorge Luis Gonzalez talk & thought he might give Bowe hell in the pro ranks, that was a one sided drumming.

Cheers

Rodders.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Talking about terrible Tim.......I picked him to beat Page who I was heralded and the favorite for the wbc fight in 84....although Page didn't help himself it must be said..

on the flip side...picked him to beat Pinklon Thomas..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed May 25, 2011 12:15 pm

I picked Groves over DeGale when most here chose DeGale.

Heck, I'm always going against concensus. My head rules my heart and all that. Picked Pascal over Hop though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed May 25, 2011 12:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I picked Hatton to belt out Manny in 6 Soldier..

Always thought at 147 that Hatton would struggle with Mayweather even more than at 140...

Hatton was really a light welter...and a bloody good one..

Thought Kosta would have too much but he proved me wrong..

great fighter was Ricky..

I thought Danny Williams was going to win Prizefighter Doh

Haha yer I knew it was of them. Thinking back I think I even had Danny Williams to win Prizefighter 🤦

88Chris05 wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Rocky Fielding to win Prizefighter. Little bit of bias but still had £10 @ 9/1

That was one of my better picks, too.

Yer it was a good night that one! Especially with the extra £100 in me pocket haha thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 12:20 pm

I actually had Williams beating Vitali......I know shocker that isn't it!!!!!

Thought Vitali was a one trick pony and Williams slightly more schooled..

Until the weigh in that was!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed May 25, 2011 12:58 pm

Doh worst one ever there Truss, I have to say!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 pm

A few people picked Williams if I recall...............

Picked Camacho to beat Leonard but not sure how much of a shock that was..

though it was at 154..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu May 26, 2011 11:54 am

Remember picking norris to beat Mugabi.......

Norris was an underdog....

Chavez - Rosario although I think Chavez may have been 7-5....

Picked Hilton to beat Dewitt though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down