The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is buying floyd v manny?

+30
owen10ozzy
TopHat24/7
KC
dangerous_mouse
Strongback
BoxingFan88
Scottrf
ShahenshahG
catchweight
Nico the gman
RanjitPatel
Lance
milkyboy
Superb
mobilemaster8
horizontalhero
neilodonnell
DuransHorse
Valero's Conscience
Atila
superflyweight
Rodney
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Coxy001
Rowley
TRUSSMAN66
Hammersmith harrier
Derbymanc
AdamT
wheelchair1991
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Who is buying floyd v manny? - Page 2 Empty Who is buying floyd v manny?

Post by wheelchair1991 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 1:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Simple question really who is buying the fight on May 2nd? As a boxing fan who most of the time tries to watch every fight possible on tv I feel guilty for saying this but i won't be buying it.
I feel the undercard is rubbish really although i do really rate lomachenko. Therefore i don't think its worth me paying £20 especially as it will probebly be on half 4/5 AM
So who is buying the May 2nd card?

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Who is buying floyd v manny? - Page 2 Empty Re: Who is buying floyd v manny?

Post by Derbymanc Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:37 pm

I'm with Catchy, you'd expect everybody to be talking about it but it's all a bit meh with the non fans!!! it's still a big fight for the fans but I don't think it's quite caught the imagination as much as people would think.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:39 pm

This is the UK what do you expect, every man and his dog talking about a fight taking place in America between an American and a Filipino?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:41 pm

Not a patch on what it could have been a few years a go. The build up seems forced and the excitment manufactured. A lot of cynicism surrounding it. Everythings already been said a thousand times and its hard to escape the "why did it take so long?" "has the fight lost its real meaning now?" sort of questions.

I actually think the Mayweather v Alvarez fight had more going on for it in whole media circus and fan reaction. This one seems stale, and its hard for anyone to cover it up.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:42 pm

You won't be saying that If Manny wins...

He's the one thing in life you don't hate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:43 pm

Yet over two million people will buy the fight in the USA alone blowing that theory out the water.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:47 pm

He's peed because Mayweather is favorite to win...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:55 pm

2 million people buying the fight doesnt blow the theory that the fight happened too late and everyone knows it out of the water. This doesnt have a patch of anticipation it could have had 5 years ago.

2 million people will buy the fight and nearly all of them will realise that both of the fighters are past their best and the fight should have happened years ago. They will pay/watch anyway. Same as I will.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Thu 16 Apr 2015, 9:57 pm

I think it would have done better years ago, there's still the question mark of it being too late and some of the general public know this. 'It's not that big caue he's only beating a washed up Manny and vice versa'

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You won't be saying that If Manny wins...

He's the one thing in life you don't hate.

laughing

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 16 Apr 2015, 10:54 pm

If you're not buying it because of £20 or the undercard you should hand your account in at the door.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:43 pm

100% buying this, as many have said on here, I would pay the money just for the main event, the other fights are just there to build the main event

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 16 Apr 2015, 11:46 pm

I think there is a bit of interest among general sports fans. A friend of mine who is not a hardcore boxing fan is throwing a big party for the fight in his house. An acquaintance through work is also having a house party.

I think this will get bigger closer to the day of the fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by dangerous_mouse Fri 17 Apr 2015, 2:07 am

Really not bothered about the under card on this one. Id happily part with £20 just for the main event. Spend more than that on unnecessary things weekly.
Issue now is in the USA, gonna cost $90 for the fight plus the equivalent of Sky over here is $100 a month so no sat or cable TV.

dangerous_mouse

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Fri 17 Apr 2015, 3:06 am

I'm never happy paying extra on top of my Sky subs just to line the pockets of the mega-rich, however I will otherwise I can't see the fight I've been waiting for since 2008/9. They should have completed a trilogy by never mind fighting for the first time.

This is still the biggest fight that can be made in boxing regardless so don't understand why any self-confessed boxing fan would not buy the fight, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!!!

I do think however they could have sold it more - one press conference for the biggest fight since Hagler v Leonard seems way too little. However more friends & family than ever with little or no boxing interest have been discussing it.

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 17 Apr 2015, 7:09 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Yet over two million people will buy the fight in the USA alone blowing that theory out the water.
Two million people buying the fight on PPV is great for PPV, but it's still a small number compared to the viewing numbers other sports get at their best events.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 8:09 am

Would buy it if I could get a few mates round, but as I'm on a stag do in Glasgow I think I'll be missing out.

Unless any Scots/Glaswegians on here can recommend something........?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 8:29 am

Must say, am quite happy with the under-stated build up to this.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 9:20 am

Atila wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Yet over two million people will buy the fight in the USA alone blowing that theory out the water.
Two million people buying the fight on PPV is great for PPV, but it's still a small number compared to the viewing numbers other sports get at their best events.

Boxing is a minority sport..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 17 Apr 2015, 9:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Atila wrote:

Boxing is a minority sport..

But one that is followed in practically every country world wide, and that can still sometimes sell out football stadiums, and get great veiwing figures. If it hadn't been for the advent of SKy and PPV I think it could have maintained a more mainstream profile, especially as the amateur game has undergone a bit of a boom and increased participation at any level helps the sport profile

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:01 am

It's still a long way behind the NFL, NBA and MLB....

Over here it's behind Cricket, Football, Tennis etc....

It's a minority sport..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:54 am

And will continue to be so if the biggest fights are only ever on Sky box office with barely competetive fights on Sky Sports.

Didn't Frampton get 2 million viewers on ITV which shows that even for a smaller fight, there is an audience there for it.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:09 am

Derbymanc wrote:And will continue to be so if the biggest fights are only ever on Sky box office with barely competetive fights on Sky Sports.

Didn't Frampton get 2 million viewers on ITV which shows that even for a smaller fight, there is an audience there for it.

Big fights haven't always been on PPV.................

It's a minority sport..................Family sports like Baseball, Football and Basketball will always be much bigger..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:18 am

And they had a lot bigger audiences Truss, I get what your saying but I do think this could have been marketed better and used as a jumping point for the sport to get a lot bigger. (Of course I know that was a pipe dream)
Would also like to see the undercard have a few more fringe level fighters to showcase their skills to a wider audience.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:19 am

Derbymanc wrote:And they had a lot bigger audiences Truss, I get what your saying but I do think this could have been marketed better and used as a jumping point for the sport to get a lot bigger. (Of course I know that was a pipe dream)
Would also like to see the undercard have a few more fringe level fighters to showcase their skills to a wider audience.

They are going to have bigger audiences if it's free to air........

But my point remains..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:25 am

That's my point Truss, that it should be available to a wider audience (If I was in the US i'd be fuming by now and wouldn't even be considering paying for it)

Boxing as a sport has missed a trick with this one. And I think it could have been a lot bigger, as it stands with a lot of people I know (not boxing fans) it's just another bout on sky sports that they're not all that fussed about as it's on too late.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:33 am

It should be available to a wider audience.........

Probably half the reason Grandpas Wlad, Floyd, Manny are ruling is because of a lack of talent coming through and no doubt some of that has to be the dearth of quality boxing..on cable.

However guys like Mancini who fought in biggish fights on NBC used to get 2.2 on the Nielson chart..........Whereas big league baseball used to score 6.0....

I agree but also reiterate that Boxing is and will always be a minority sport.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:16 pm

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/9810177/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-tickets-yet-to-go-on-sale-in-las-vegas

The exact reason I'm not buying the fight; call it naivity...call it 'cutting my nose off to spite my face'..or any other retort. But the simple fact is that the way this fight has been handled from start to finish...it's lateness in being made...the manner in which PPV has been priced...tickets priced and then handled for public sale and in which MGM and the rest of Vegas have dealt with weekend packets/hotel prices etc is frankly far more than disgusting. It's greed of the very highest order....from everyone involved, including the fighters. It's expected to some degree from Floyd, but even Manny has to a degree shown his true colours. Biggest fight of the generation, one of probably the Top 5 of all time (most certainly if it had happened 5 years ago) and an incredible platform to spring boxing into the mainstream (always been a minority but on few occasions has it been in the doldrums it is now) and it's been completely missed/pushed aside for the $$$.

Of course all boxers, especially those very best, have throughout time put their own wallets first...but at least in most cases compromises were found to ensure fans weren't a complete afterthought. Imagine Ali vs Frazier happening in front of a mere 16500 fans...(thats being kind as about 10,000 will have absolutely no interest or even clue as to boxing come May 2nd)..

And those who believe this has had the build or caught the publics imagination the way it did 5 years ago when it was close to being made (remember, that fever was just at the possiblity..the fight hadn't even been confirmed) are completely kidding themselves. Regardless of whether this does break the record for highest grossing PPV..it no doubt will; although they are hardly going to say it hasn't even if it only does 1 million buys..or goes down as biggest gate; does it really matter. It should do...given the prices. I'm cynical by nature as you all know....but the numbers of this fight mean little because a) everything will be inflated merely because of the astronomical prices b) how likely is it numbers won't be fluctuated given the embarrassment on all parties if it doesn't go forth as the biggest event of all time in boxing.

Rant over.

Last edited by owen10ozzy on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:17 pm

clap

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:41 pm

I'm not quite as sure they'd exaggerate revenues and pay the extra tax bills just to save face...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:42 pm

I reckon the only way this could be worse run is if the ICC was running it

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:45 pm

Scottrf wrote:I'm not quite as sure they'd exaggerate revenues and pay the extra tax bills just to save face...

I think they would Scott, especially the promoters involved.
Would you want to be known as the promoter that couldn't sell the biggest fight in boxing as great as it should have been.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:49 pm

Rather than pay the tax on another million PPV sales. Yeah.

More importantly, Showtime is owned by CBS, a public company. If they were found knowingly making false statements about revenues (or anything else which could affect share price), they could go to jail.

Last edited by Scottrf on Fri 17 Apr 2015, 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:51 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12040/9810177/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-tickets-yet-to-go-on-sale-in-las-vegas

The exact reason I'm not buying the fight; call it naivity...call it 'cutting my nose off to spite my face'..or any other retort. But the simple fact is that the way this fight has been handled from start to finish...it's lateness in being made...the manner in which PPV has been priced...tickets priced and then handled for public sale and in which MGM and the rest of Vegas have dealt with weekend packets/hotel prices etc is frankly far more than disgusting. It's greed of the very highest order....from everyone involved, including the fighters. It's expected to some degree from Floyd, but even Manny has to a degree shown his true colours. Biggest fight of the generation, one of probably the Top 5 of all time (most certainly if it had happened 5 years ago) and an incredible platform to spring boxing into the mainstream (always been a minority but on few occasions has it been in the doldrums it is now) and it's been completely missed/pushed aside for the $$$.

Of course all boxers, especially those very best, have throughout time put their own wallets first...but at least in most cases compromises were found to ensure fans weren't a complete afterthought. Imagine Ali vs Frazier happening in front of a mere 16500 fans...(thats being kind as about 10,000 will have absolutely no interest or even clue as to boxing come May 2nd)..

And those who believe this has had the build or caught the publics imagination the way it did 5 years ago when it was close to being made (remember, that fever was just at the possiblity..the fight hadn't even been confirmed) are completely kidding themselves. Regardless of whether this does break the record for highest grossing PPV..it no doubt will; although they are hardly going to say it hasn't even if it only does 1 million buys..or goes down as biggest gate; does it really matter. It should do...given the prices. I'm cynical by nature as you all know....but the numbers of this fight mean little because a) everything will be inflated merely because of the astronomical prices b) how likely is it numbers won't be fluctuated given the embarrassment on all parties if it doesn't go forth as the biggest event of all time in boxing.

Rant over.

I think you're being silly.......You're seeing the two best fighters of their generation and two of the top three fighters in Boxing squaring off.

You'll probably never see the like again of these two !!.......But you're not forking out like you did for Cleverly - Bellew ?????

Seems a bit stupid to me.............

When was the last time................Number 1 v number 3 fought eachother.......

Maybe when you're a bit older you'll realise these kind of fights don't come around very often !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 17 Apr 2015, 10:57 pm

I feel the same way as him and if my friend hadn't extended his opening hours at the shisha bar I would have just followed it on here or the numerous live texts

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 18 Apr 2015, 5:39 am

If you're not watching the fight and you classify yourself as a boxing fan never bother watching another card, this as big as it gets, don't get angry that you feel "The event is manufactured to just make money" Jesus wept, that's everything.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 18 Apr 2015, 7:08 am

Numero Uno....I didn't pay for the Clev vs Bellew farce, I stated as much when that fight was on. I also won't be paying for the card on the 30th May.

Scott - If you think a public trading company wouldn't falsify it's numbers...or find a way to ensure it doesn't pay the tax it should then I'm not quite sure where you have been for the past 5 years. Tesco...Amazon...Starbucks...Vodafone..Barclays..the list goes on.

Truss - I don't think I am being silly; You make valid points regards them being two of the best etc...but that's part of the issue I have with it. Two of the best fighters of our generation...who have been in and around the same weight class for the better part of 8 years; and only now they fight each other! Ali/Frazier..fought 3 times & actually met in their peak..Ali/Liston Twice..Leonard/Duran..3 fights..Leonard/Hearn..2 fights, one at there peak....De La Hoya/Trinidad...the list goes on. There have been plenty of occasions where 2 p4p fighters or best of a generation have met each other & more often than not it's far closer to their respective peaks than these two & in nearly every case they certainly met more than once!

I actually find it strange how so many boxing fans throw this line that 'oh how often do two of the best fighters in a generation/p4p stars face off against one another. Perhaps they are blinded by the fact it hasn't happened for so long....because to make out it very very rarely happens throws a blanket over the 60's/70's/80's & to a smaller degree the 90's...where those respective ten year periods are littered with some of the biggest names in history meeting each other. Perhaps they weren't as big a names as these two but plenty most definitely feature in ATG lists (which is the point people make when saying 'how often do two ATG/2 of the P4P best fight each other')

Factor in the fact that the general public weren't priced out of it in the manner in which they have been for this one and it makes it all the more galling.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Sat 18 Apr 2015, 11:30 am

im struggling to get excited for this, too late and pac has slowed enough that he shouldn't cause mayweather much problems but will still watch it, as a boxing fan cant not really.

anyone know how much they charge pubs for showing it, i run a pub and will try and get it on. my other idea is buy it up stairs on my personal subscription then take box and card downstairs and plug it in, anyone know if it will work

was in manchester centre last night and a fair few bars were advertising it, so those who want to be out for it should be able to watch it no problems

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Apr 2015, 3:23 pm

compelling and rich wrote:im struggling to get excited for this, too late and pac has slowed enough that he shouldn't cause mayweather much problems but will still watch it, as a boxing fan cant not really.

anyone know how much they charge pubs for showing it, i run a pub and will try and get it on. my other idea is buy it up stairs on my personal subscription then take box and card downstairs and plug it in, anyone know if it will work

was in manchester centre last night and a fair few bars were advertising it, so those who want to be out for it should be able to watch it no problems

By the time the last few days come.............You'll get excited..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Sat 18 Apr 2015, 3:51 pm

Buying it. Ever since my Wife delivered our little bundle of joy (who is now 16 months old) I've seldom been out (recreationally), so 20 quid is hardly going to break the bank. I'm interested to see, with what appears to be a disappointing undercard and U.S. fans having to pay the best part of $100, if both guys feel almost compelled to engage, or not... Rolling Eyes

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 18 Apr 2015, 4:15 pm

Marlon, if your little bundle of joy is anything like either of mine, you can guarantee it will be the one night he/she doesn't want to wake up at 4 in the morning.

I hope you enjoyed your social life. Don't bank on reacquainting yourself with it again anytime soon fella!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 18 Apr 2015, 4:20 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Scott - If you think a public trading company wouldn't falsify it's numbers...or find a way to ensure it doesn't pay the tax it should then I'm not quite sure where you have been for the past 5 years. Tesco...Amazon...Starbucks...Vodafone..Barclays..the list goes on.
Spot the key difference? They aren't trying to pay more tax. But most of those examples are completely different anyway, and to do with the allocations of international revenues and costs in a way that minimises the profit in high tax locations. Most aren't doing anything illegal. Tesco being an exception but a lot of senior staff have lost their jobs over it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Sat 18 Apr 2015, 7:54 pm

milkyboy wrote:Marlon, if your little bundle of joy is anything like either of mine, you can guarantee it will be the one night he/she doesn't want to wake up at 4 in the morning.

I hope you enjoyed your social life. Don't bank on reacquainting yourself with it again anytime soon fella!

Hi Milky! Yep, I've finally accepted the fact that my social diary is going to be on hold for quite some time to come. Hope yours are giving you joy as mine does - At least a pleasant consolation for the social life hiatus!

As for the viewing set-up, there is the slight problem of the cot being in the same room as the TV/Sky Box, in other words our bedroom. Headscratch So I'm going have to stretch the hdmi lead and TV out into the upstairs landing and (try to) scream silently!

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 18 Apr 2015, 8:25 pm

I can't understand anyone paying extra to watch a Floyd fight. His fights are boring, dull and usually rinsed of all drama. What is he here? A 1-2 favourite?

This reminds me of Hopkins vs Calzaghe: it's likely to be a 12 round bore without a definitive winner. I can't see any possibility of a good fight. They're too old to produce anything remarkable like Ali-Frazier or Leonard-Hearns.

And for those who claim it's worth it as Mayweather is a "once in a lifetime talent". Not at this stage he isn't. Guillermo Rigondeaux looks just as talented a fighter in 2015.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Apr 2015, 9:06 pm

hazharrison wrote:I can't understand anyone paying extra to watch a Floyd fight. His fights are boring, dull and usually rinsed of all drama. What is he here? A 1-2 favourite?

This reminds me of Hopkins vs Calzaghe: it's likely to be a 12 round bore without a definitive winner. I can't see any possibility of a good fight. They're too old to produce anything remarkable like Ali-Frazier or Leonard-Hearns.

And for those who claim it's worth it as Mayweather is a "once in a lifetime talent". Not at this stage he isn't. Guillermo Rigondeaux looks just as talented a fighter in 2015.

He's never been a once in a lifetime talent according to you...

You're so bitter and twisted you think Murray is a better win than the 3rd best fighter on the planet... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Go and cry somewhere else....

You're a complete wally that deliberately leaves out half an article praising Mayweather...........Whilst pasting the other half....

Just get lost...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sat 18 Apr 2015, 9:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:I can't understand anyone paying extra to watch a Floyd fight. His fights are boring, dull and usually rinsed of all drama. What is he here? A 1-2 favourite?

He's never been a once in a lifetime talent according to you...

You're so bitter and twisted you think Murray is a better win than the 3rd best fighter on the planet... Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Go and cry somewhere else....

You're a complete wally that deliberately leaves out half an article praising Mayweather...........Whilst pasting the other half....

Just get lost...

I believe the only point I made about Murray was that he was a tougher fight at middleweight than Cotto. Good ad-libbing as ever.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Apr 2015, 3:12 am

Mayweather must the worst value fighter in history. Millions paid to watch this guy outpoint mediocrity.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 19 Apr 2015, 9:10 am

Hope your life gets better...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2