The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

+25
Happytravelling
catchweight
EdWoodjr
theanimal316
RanjitPatel
Rodney
Marlonz
.aveyard2.0
Rowley
Eyetoldyouso
Scottrf
longgame
Nico the gman
Coxy001
horizontalhero
hampo17
AlexHuckerby
Lance
TopHat24/7
88Chris05
Hammersmith harrier
kingraf
AdamT
irishbrads
TRUSSMAN66
29 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman .... - Page 3 Empty Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 27 Apr 2015, 1:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

Manny
-------

Mike Tyson.....Bonecrusher Smith.....Miguel Cotto....Marvin Hagler......Oscar DelaHoya......Larry Holmes...Johnny Nelson....Nonito Donaire......Muhammad Ali ?? ......Ivan Robinson.....Timothy Bradley......

Mayweather
-------------

Ray Leonard...Keith Thurman.....Tony Bellew....Adrien Broner....Iran Barkley....Charles Brewer.....Tommy Hearns....Montell Griffin....Deontay Wilder....Ray Mancini.....Kell Brook.........JMM.......Chris Algieri...Amir Khan...Nigel Benn.......Wlad Klit...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman .... - Page 3 Empty Re: Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:09 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:At the end of the day Clements did absolutely nothing wrong in scoring that round 10-7 but it looks like the Pacquiao fans are getting their excuses ready already. Expect a full blown conspiracy of how Bayless and the judges were in Mayweathers back pocket to ensure he won despite recently being on the end of three fairly awful judging displays.

Or we're just having a bit of a debate about scoring a fight.

That isn't why it was initially brought up, it was brought up as a pre-emptive excuse by a Manny Pacquiao fan.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman .... - Page 3 Empty Re: Boxers divided on - Mayweather vs Pacman ....

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:13 pm

Scottrf wrote:I think you'd need significant changes to the 10 point must system to justify any radical changes in the scoring of knockdowns.

It doesn't really make sense that it's encouraged to split level-ish rounds, and these are on par with fairly dominant rounds which aren't quite 10-8 worthy.

Unless there's more discretion used then I think scoring knockdowns as they are now is fairest.

In the old days all rounds counted as one....... Scotty................You think that's fairer...............It might be.....Walcott beat Charles 8-7 on two cards in there Heavy title fight...

Bruce Curry lost 6-4 to Wilfred Benitez when he decked him three times overall in various rounds...........With 10 point must he wins pretty comfortably.....

Maybe I prefer round by round ...............10-1-1 sounds good to me.. Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In the old days all rounds counted as one....... Scotty................You think that's fairer
I'd like at least some analysis of the opposite, something like 10-10 even or insignificant win, 10-9 close but significant win, 10-8 clear, 10-7 dominant. I think it would give more indication of the flow of the fight and less influence to rounds which are awarded without clear reason.

Maybe that's too open to abuse though, I don't know, but I think more control is better.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:21 pm

Judges are the most important part of the puzzle.......Getting rid of the incompetent and bent ones.........

But as it won't happen all scoring systems will be flawed..

Remember the Mexican judge had Chavez up by two against Meldrick..........

They should be arrested..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:22 pm

If boxing was only ever scored by rounds it'd become pretty turgid pretty quickly.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:26 pm

Scottrf wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In the old days all rounds counted as one....... Scotty................You think that's fairer
I'd like at least some analysis of the opposite, something like 10-10 even or insignificant win, 10-9 close but significant win, 10-8 clear, 10-7 dominant. I think it would give more indication of the flow of the fight and less influence to rounds which are awarded without clear reason.

Maybe that's too open to abuse though, I don't know, but I think more control is better.

I find myself largely in agreement with this, still don't think it addresses the issue of incompetence, but it seems ridiculous you can batter a guy from pillar to post and receive exactly the same as a round where you maybe land one or two punches more. I appreciate judges have the facility to do this currently, but how frequently do we really see a ten eight round without a knockdown? It is remarkably infrequently.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:46 pm

The 2 main reasons I see a Pacman win in this fight is that I believe Floyd has declined further than Manny, and Freddie Roach.

If memory serves me right the 2 fights against Maidana are the most punches Floyd has received in any previous fight. A guy like Maidana wouldn't have got near the Floyd of the 00s. While Manny's power is not what it was, his volume and accuracy coming from a tricky southpaw stance should see Mayweather take more punishment than any fight to date, enough for a stoppage I believe.

Secondly, Roach seems obsessed with beating Mayweather. He is a decisive figure Roach but a coach I rate very highly. I am inclined to believe him that he believes he has the game plan for Manny to win.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Apr 2015, 4:54 pm

theanimal316 wrote:The 2 main reasons I see a Pacman win in this fight is that I believe Floyd has declined further than Manny, and Freddie Roach.  

If memory serves me right the 2 fights against Maidana are the most punches Floyd has received in any previous fight.  A guy like Maidana wouldn't have got near the Floyd of the 00s.  While Manny's power is not what it was, his volume and accuracy coming from a tricky southpaw stance should see Mayweather take more punishment than any fight to date, enough for a stoppage I believe.  

Secondly, Roach seems obsessed with beating Mayweather.  He is a decisive figure Roach but a coach I rate very highly.  I am inclined to believe him that he believes he has the game plan for Manny to win.
Nazim Richardson said the same about Mosley but with the following caveat "It's ok having a battle plan but you need a soldier who can carry out those orders."

Everyone "knows" how to beat Mayweather but no-one's been able to execute this pi$$ easy game plan to date. Maybe Manny can do it but he's giving away a lot of reach and I can't see him getting in and out without getting caught himself. If Mayweather lands a big shot early, it may deter Manny and put him off. Do we know if Roach has a plan B,C,D,E,F and so on cos Manny might just need it

Back to top Go down

Post by EdWoodjr Tue 28 Apr 2015, 6:24 pm

18/1 for Mayweather 10-12 has to be worth a look.

EdWoodjr

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 28 Apr 2015, 8:03 pm

Not sure how the fight will play out but unless there is a KO there is a good chance the cards will lend themselves towards getting mileage out of a rematch. Think of Mayweather against de la Hoya and Alvarez.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Thu 30 Apr 2015, 10:59 pm

Well, Mike Tyson certainly isn't sitting on the fence:

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2015/04/mike-tyson-goes-off-on-mayweather-calls-him-dirt-delusional-and-a-small-scared-man/

What had Floyd done to him?

Anyone know why Tyson has such a dislike?

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 01 May 2015, 8:59 am

“I try to stay as far away from dirt as possible,” Tyson told USA TODAY Sports, “I was always told by my mother that if you can’t say anything nice about someone, don’t say nothing.”

Umm....

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 01 May 2015, 9:04 am

See Mayweather failed to submit his gloves in time for the Nevada deadline, which probably means sod all as they'll do nowt about it (make him wear ones pre-picked from the commission)

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 01 May 2015, 9:16 am

The Ring polled 50 fighters, trainers, journos etc and the result was 42-6 in favour of Mayweather Jr and 2 undecided.

Floyd looks tired, bless him. Mean he may not pummel Manny quite as badly.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 01 May 2015, 9:20 am

Coxy001 wrote:The Ring polled 50 fighters, trainers, journos etc and the result was 42-6 in favour of Mayweather Jr and 2 undecided.

Floyd looks tired, bless him. Mean he may not pummel Manny quite as badly.

Has he ever pummeled anyone ? If Mayweather attacks which for the life of me can't understand why anyone would think this , he is going to get sparked out IMO. The safe bet is he'll move and outbox/potshot Manny.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 01 May 2015, 9:21 am

Rodney wrote:Has he ever pummeled anyone ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7oj7QosjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5q57ZboGw0

You're welcome.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 01 May 2015, 9:25 am

You're welcome Rodders

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 01 May 2015, 9:47 am

That was over 10 years ago.

Cheers, rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 May 2015, 9:51 am

What's your point.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 01 May 2015, 9:55 am

Rodney wrote:That was over 10 years ago.

Cheers, rodders

You asked has he ever pummelled anyone? No you've been proven wrong, don't change your argument.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 01 May 2015, 9:57 am

Point is ill be very surprised if it's a pummelling as he hasn't pummelled anyone in recent times.

Cheers, rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 May 2015, 9:57 am

Rodney wrote:Point is ill be very surprised if it's a pummelling as he hasn't pummelled anyone in recent times.

Cheers, rodders

Not like the old timers used to..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 01 May 2015, 10:02 am

People do get awfully upset if you criticise a convicted wife beater on here.
Morals not very high.
Cheers, rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 May 2015, 10:03 am

Rodney wrote:People do get awfully upset if you criticise a convicted wife beater on here.
Morals not very high.
Cheers, rodders

Very cheap Roddy...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 01 May 2015, 10:11 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Rodney wrote:People do get awfully upset if you criticise a convicted wife beater on here.
Morals not very high.
Cheers, rodders

Very cheap Roddy...

Rodders normally comes across as fairly level headed, but on this subject you'd swear Floyd had taken a big steaming dump over his christmas dinner.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 01 May 2015, 10:17 am

After all what do the two Sugars know about wife beating.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 01 May 2015, 10:40 am

EdWoodjr wrote:18/1 for Mayweather 10-12 has to be worth a look.  

22/1 in ladbrokes for the same bet. 18/1 for rounds 7-9

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 01 May 2015, 10:44 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:After all what do the two Sugars know about wife beating.

They didn't avoid beating their wives hammy. They did it more frequently in those days... they only used the one belt too

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 May 2015, 11:18 am

milkyboy wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:After all what do the two Sugars know about wife beating.

They didn't avoid beating their wives hammy. They did it more frequently in those days... they only used the one belt too

Yes but they used to beat their Wives better in those days..

Kids of today haven't got a clue how to do it properly..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 01 May 2015, 11:28 am

Too many alphabet belts these days. floyd has around 10, suppose he needs to make use of them

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 01 May 2015, 4:58 pm

All the best fellas and enjoy a once in a generation clash !!!

Only brightside is If Manny wins I won't have to watch it !! Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 01 May 2015, 5:13 pm

Good luck Truss.

Manny is getting knocked out. The oracle has spoken

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 02 May 2015, 11:28 am

The partisanship towards Mayweather and the lengths some posters go to champion him is different to other fighters.  Maybe D4 hardened peoples resolve when it came to defending Mayweather.

Floyd has been described as boring by some and this has been met with deep distain and accusations about not understanding the sweet science.  Most of the posters I enjoy though seem to not like Mayweather.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 02 May 2015, 11:34 am

Morning Strongy

There's a difference between Mayweather the man and Mayweather the boxer.

Can't stand the man, but as a boxer there's no denying the talent, unfortunately boxing is/has and always will be filled with people of a certain nature due to the simple nature of the sport.

As fans we like boxers for different reasons, some enjoy the sweet science, others want to see someone KO'd every time and so on and so forth.

Super fans of anyone can be really annoying due to the inability to see any faults with the 'other side'

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 02 May 2015, 12:13 pm

Good post Derby and agree. Don't care much for him as a person but think he is an amazing fighter.

I will give Pac his dues if he wins as long as there is no controversy. If Floyd wins with controversy, I will rightfully say Manny should of won.

I like banter and have my fav fighters, however a spade is a spade with me.

Hope it's a cracking fight.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3