The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career.

4 posters

Go down

How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career. Empty How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career.

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 1:12 pm

As a follow on the article below, what about taking away one aspect of a fighters arsenal and seeing how it affects his career.

Every one's favourite warrior...Carl Froch....take away that chin and he's a footnote in history who never gets the chance to tell everyone he knocked out George Groves in front of 80,000 (eighty farzand) people at Wembley

Back to top Go down

How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career. Empty Re: How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career.

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 May 2015, 1:29 pm

Certainly a few Heavyweights who have made decent careers for themselves essentially through just being big, obdurate feckers. Valuev in recent times, Terrell back in the sixties, Buddy Baer about a quarter of a century before that etc.

Terrell and Baer get decent ratings as Heavyweights but they were, in relative terms, both plodders who were able to make it uncomfortable for their opponents with their size, weight and spoiling / muscling on the footage I've watched of them. Difficult men to beat if you're not from the top plate (as was Valuev I guess, albeit even the top plate of Heavyweights from 2005 to 2009 weren't much kop) but that didn't owe much to talent or skill, for me. Scale them down to a more regular Heavyweight size for their era and I doubt anyone would be referencing them that much these days.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career. Empty Re: How the LOSS of one attrribute could change your career.

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 1:29 pm

DAVE667 wrote:As a follow on the article below, what about taking away one aspect of a fighters arsenal and seeing how it affects his career.

Every one's favourite warrior...Carl Froch....take away that chin and he's a footnote in history who never gets the chance to tell everyone he knocked out George Groves in front of 80,000 (eighty farzand) people at Wembley

Boxing skill!!! Take away any boxers boxing skill and watch what happens. It probably comes down to windmilling in and seeing who has the best chin. Even with ring IQ it would be:

"Not yet... Not yet... Just keep circling... Be patient... No, the times not right, I need an opening... NOW!!!! Ave it!!!!!!"

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 27 May 2015, 1:34 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:As a follow on the article below, what about taking away one aspect of a fighters arsenal and seeing how it affects his career.

Boxing skill!!!  Take away any boxers boxing skill and watch what happens.  It probably comes down to windmilling in and seeing who has the best chin. Even with ring IQ it would be:

"Not yet... Not yet... Just keep circling... Be patient...  No, the times not right, I need an opening... NOW!!!!  Ave it!!!!!!"
F*CK me, may as well say "arms" or "eyes"!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 1:39 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Certainly a few Heavyweights who have made decent careers for themselves essentially through just being big, obdurate feckers. Valuev in recent times, Terrell back in the sixties, Buddy Baer about a quarter of a century before that etc.

Terrell and Baer get decent ratings as Heavyweights but they were, in relative terms, both plodders who were able to make it uncomfortable for their opponents with their size, weight and spoiling / muscling on the footage I've watched of them. Difficult men to beat if you're not from the top plate (as was Valuev I guess, albeit even the top plate of Heavyweights from 2005 to 2009 weren't much kop) but that didn't owe much to talent or skill, for me. Scale them down to a more regular Heavyweight size for their era and I doubt anyone would be referencing them that much these days.

I actually think Valuev couldn't possibly have been any worse, no matter what attribute you took away.  If he'd been smaller and lighter his coordination and movement would have improved, it wouldn't have taken 9000 calories and 6 days to throw a punch, and he might have actually been able to do some road work without paying for new knees every week.  Now factor in if he'd kept that thick cranium at average heavyweight size and his career would have been much like Homer Simpsons.... a significant improvement.

Last edited by DuransHorse on Wed 27 May 2015, 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 1:40 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:

Boxing skill!!!  Take away any boxers boxing skill and watch what happens.  It probably comes down to windmilling in and seeing who has the best chin. Even with ring IQ it would be:

"Not yet... Not yet... Just keep circling... Be patient...  No, the times not right, I need an opening... NOW!!!!  Ave it!!!!!!"

Good shout.... or boxing brain. Let's physically take that away too!

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 27 May 2015, 2:11 pm

Take away Evan Fields' drugs........

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 2:28 pm

DuransHorse wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:

Good shout.... or boxing brain.  Let's physically take that away too!

I think there's a fair few fighters who've done commendably well without requiring the use of a brain. You could perform a full lobotomy on amir khan and not tell the difference in or out of the ring.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Wed 27 May 2015, 2:50 pm

milkyboy wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
DuransHorse wrote:

Good shout.... or boxing brain.  Let's physically take that away too!

I think there's a fair few fighters who've done commendably well without requiring the use of a brain. You could perform a full lobotomy on amir khan and not tell the difference in or out of the ring.

You're not taking this seriously, Milky.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 27 May 2015, 2:55 pm

Sorry, I do get carried away at times

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down