The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ????

+10
superflyweight
horizontalhero
Nico the gman
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
Strongback
hogey
88Chris05
milkyboy
TRUSSMAN66
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ???? - Page 2 Empty Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 17 Jun 2015, 10:11 am

First topic message reminder :

LOUIS vs conn - "By the end of the12th round I was exhausted...I was praying he'd go ahead and gamble because I didn't see any other way I was going to keep my title....Then he threw a long left hook...I countered he went numb and I thought I've got you now !!"

Did Louis have an off night against Conn............??

Did coming in at 199 affect Louis ??..........Against Tunney he probably would be 210 !!!

Was Tunney a similar operator to Conn......?? Would he have got carried away against Louis...Probably not..

Tunney was 16 pounds heavier than Conn and a bigger hitter...........

Is this a 50/50 fight..............or am I full of crap !! Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ???? - Page 2 3559488474

Never see this matchup talked about and yet to me like Corbett-Fitz 2, Dempsey-Marciano and Frazier- Tyson it's one of the more fascinating..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ????

Post by Atila Fri 19 Jun 2015, 6:11 pm

milkyboy wrote:I think most people do consider dempsey's age/rustiness as a factor Atila. Out of interest do you think ring rust is a myth? Not a Leonard hagler thing... We know leonard had behind closed doors fights anyway (can't completely replicate the real thing, but obviously better than standard sparring)
Depends on the fighter I guess. I mean Vitali Klitschko came back after 3 years and ten months at the ripe old age of 37 and no one seems to continually gush about that. I've never read about 'how great he looked after all those years out of the ring' but yet it's always mentioned with certain fighters who shall remain nameless. Very Happy

Atila

Back to top Go down

Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Gene Tunney vs Joe Louis - pickem ????

Post by milkyboy Fri 19 Jun 2015, 7:24 pm

You hide it well fella, but sometimes I get an inkling you don't really like Ray Leonard.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 19 Jun 2015, 8:26 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I don't think anyone on here is particularly anti Joe Louis but it's quite a sad state of affairs when you have certain boxers considered be beyond criticism, for every expert who has Louis at number one there are probably five or so who have Ali top.

yeah, but we all have our favorites, and those that we don't warm to- hard to be objective all the time

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Jun 2015, 8:42 pm

Think he was referring to the troll...Mate.

The guy that has seen Haz inadvertently winding up members by chucking "respected" journalists at them.... so he's trying it !!..

Still it's a change from Brit hating rants and Eddie Hearn !!.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 19 Jun 2015, 9:05 pm

Good point on Vitali. Say what you want about his competition, but the guy came back after years and barley lost a round.

Should get more credit!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 Jun 2015, 10:23 pm

Give me an opponent he beat that takes a round off "novice" Joshua..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 20 Jun 2015, 12:44 pm

To be fair... Sanders probably wouldn't need a round Very Happy

A guy like Sammy Peter would have been a good fight for Joshua, pity he is 34 years old in the way Michael Essien is 32.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Jun 2015, 4:43 pm

kingraf wrote:To be fair... Sanders probably wouldn't need a round Very Happy

A guy like Sammy Peter would have been a good fight for Joshua, pity he is 34 years old in the way Michael Essien is 32.

Sanders was before the comeback................Try reading before you post.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 20 Jun 2015, 5:32 pm

Can only beat what is put in front of you. Vitali was a very good fighter.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2