The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Blacks RWC squad

+7
majesticimperialman
emack2
blackcanelion
SirBurger
Artful_Dodger
aucklandlaurie
maestegmafia
11 posters

Go down

All Blacks RWC squad Empty All Blacks RWC squad

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:05 am

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has named his 31-man squad to defend the Rugby World Cup in the UK, starting next month, at a press conference in Wellington on Sunday. No Jane, Dagg, Piutau or Sopoaga. Naholo and NMS are in.

Forwards: Tony Woodcock, Wyatt Crockett, Owen Franks, Charlie Faumuina, Ben Franks, Dane Coles, Keven Mealamu, Codie Taylor, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Luke Romano, Jerome Kaino, Liam Messam, Richie McCaw (c), Sam Cane, Kieran Read, Victor Vito

Backs: Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Dan Carter, Beauden Barrett, Colin Slade, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Conrad Smith, Malakai Fekitoa, Waisake Naholo, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Julian Savea, Ben Smith

Last edited by ebop on Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

All Blacks RWC squad Empty Re: All Blacks RWC squad

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:09 am

I reckon they'll do alright.

Any outside backs or are you planing to play nine man rugby this time?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:15 am

Ha yes, my first ever topic starter was a shocker. Guess the biggest surprise is Naholo whom broke his leg a few weeks ago and went to Fiji for some traditional therapy (herbs and stuff) to heal it.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:20 am

Aye I was reading about it. Very interesting and I'm now thinking of a holiday to Fiji to get them to lol at my aching back... Never know if I can get out there this week I might make it into Gatlands squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:21 am

Here ya go mate

Ben Franks
Brodie Retallick
Charlie Faumuina
Codie Taylor
Dane Coles
Hikawera Elliot
James Broadhurst
Jeremy Thrush
Jerome Kaino
Joe Moody
Keven Mealamu
Kieran Read
Liam Messam
Luke Romano
Matt Todd
Nepo Laulala
Owen Franks
Richie McCaw
Sam Cane
Samuel Whitelock
Tony Woodcock
Victor Vito
Wyatt Crockett
Aaron Smith
Andrew Ellis
Beauden Barrett
Ben Smith
Charles Piutau
Colin Slade
Conrad Smith
Cory Jane
Dan Carter
Israel Dagg
Julian Savea
Lima Sopoaga
Ma'a Nonu
Malakai Fekitoa
Nehe Milner-Skudder
Ryan Crotty
Sonny Bill Williams
Tawera Kerr-Barlow
TJ Perenara
Waisake

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:31 am

My take on this squad is that its all about loose forwards, take 6 loosies and have them with the squad throughout the campaign, if some one in a wider role falls over ie a fullback (No Dagg) a newcomer can slot in at any time but a fresh loosie would would be far more disruptive to any patterns from loose play and to the squad.

I suspected recently that Sopoanga was carrying some sort of injury, gives Slade (and Barrett) a big opportunity.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:57 am

Do you guys think that Piatau signing for Ulster is a factor in him being dropped?

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:13 am

No because NZ have picked him since he announced he was leaving. Must admit that one surprises me as he has been in great form. The need for 3 fly halves has probably cost him.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:13 am

If it was Artful_Dodger, they wouldn't admit to it. I recall the ABs were not very happy when Piutau signed an offshore contract. I would be surprised if it was the reason he didn't make it but who knows? Slade made the squad and he's going offshore so I don't think the selectors are holding grudges. If they did, he may not have played the games he did this year.

Piutau is a bit unlucky but I think Naholo and NMS provide x-factor that Piutau maybe doesn't provide. NMS and Naholo are electric whilst Piutau is solid and industrious. There was talk that Piutau had booked his place after Naholo broke his leg and before we saw NMS play against the wallabies. But he has been squeezed out at the last minute.

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:22 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:Do you guys think that Piatau signing for Ulster is a factor in him being dropped?

Truth is we dont know, but I definitely have a strong suspicion that it did.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 30 Aug 2015, 10:37 am

Truth is as with most places fans are venting their spleen over the selections. Personally, whilst I would have made different selections and have some concerns, I trust the current management.

Some of the issues I've heard already involve the backs.

SBW. Not everyone's' cup of tea and many consider him to be out of form.
No Sapoaga. Arguably the inform no 10 in NZ at the moment. Lost out to experience and versatility.
Piatau. Again played very well, would make any other squad going.
Naholo. Undoubtedly the form winger earlier this year, but is recovering from a fracture and won't be available until game 3 or 4, big call.
I'm sure if we lose, the wider public will bring all this up. Plan B if you're Hansen have a holiday planned for the USA, in case of a loss.

Peronally, I'd have liked a another lock instead of Messam, Sopoaga instead of Slade and Piatau instead of Milner-Scudder.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 30 Aug 2015, 10:44 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Do you guys think that Piatau signing for Ulster is a factor in him being dropped?

Truth is we dont know, but I definitely have a strong suspicion that it did.

I don't think so. Hansen has discussed it in the past. There are plenty of other players off overseas after the cup. I think it's more of a factor about covering positions. Savea and B Smith are first choice at 11 and 12. He's competing with Skudder and Naholo for 14 (I'd have picked him, but obviously the powers that be think differently). He can cover everything and is world class, I think he's unlucky as theirs so much versatility in the group with Slade and Barrett also able to cover wing/full back.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sun 30 Aug 2015, 11:13 am

A lot of the teams are picking players carrying injuries and lacking form,NZ have one
very hard match the first.Then they can mix and match for the rest to some extent at
forward 5 props 2 who can cover either head is wise.
Slade is a good choice and probably a better option at 12 than SBW currently,Andy Ellis
ahead o f Kerr -Barlow for me.
Joe Moody,Ryan Crotty,and Israel Dagg would have been in my team,Barrett unless he
can kick goals is a liability.
Without a clear 4th Lock being obvious,the main contender being injured the Lock/6
was always the option.
With its policy NZ has no injury cover in Europe so presumeably a wider squad will
be "Watching" them in Europe just in case?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 6:35 pm

Argentina first but the All Blacks should breeze through this group. I don't imagine that we will really see them at full tilt until they face the runner up of pool D in the Quarters. France and Ireland look in top form...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 30 Aug 2015, 7:18 pm

I was surprised that Dagg did not make the squad, thought he was nailed on for the RWC. is he injured?

Sonny Bill Williams? is he truly that good? when was the last time he played international rugby?

What has happend to Cory Jane? Same as Dagg, thought he would be a dead cert for the RWC.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 30 Aug 2015, 7:36 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Argentina first but the All Blacks should breeze through this group. I don't imagine that we will really see them at full tilt until they face the runner up of pool D in the Quarters. France and Ireland look in top form...
Not sure I'd agree with that. France have certainly improved, but almost got embarrassed the death (at home) against an England side playing poorly across the park. Ireland haven't played their strongest XV yet but have struggled against a weakened Scottish side and then lost at home against Wales. I'm sure there's more to come from both sides but if this is their 'top form' (which I don't think it is) then NZ have nothing to be worried about.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I was surprised that Dagg did not make the squad, thought he was nailed on for the RWC. is he injured?

Sonny Bill Williams? is he truly that good? when was the last time he played international rugby?

What has happend to Cory Jane? Same as Dagg, thought he would be a dead cert for the RWC.

SBW played through the Rugby Championship, and before that played Super Rugby. Not sure that his forms any where near where it has been, but he still looked pretty good.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:08 pm

yappysnap wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:I was surprised that Dagg did not make the squad, thought he was nailed on for the RWC. is he injured?

SBW played through the Rugby Championship, and before that played Super Rugby. Not sure that his forms any where near where it has been, but he still looked pretty good.

He hasn't set the world alight this season but is still playing at a very high level. Back up to Nonu, not a bad squad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:43 pm

Just three locks is interesting.

I wonder whether many other contenders might make a similar call

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 30 Aug 2015, 8:57 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Just three locks is interesting.

France (ok not really a contender) also going with 3 genuine locks with Leroux being able to play there if needed.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:00 pm

whocares wrote:

France (ok not really a contender) also going with 3 genuine locks with Leroux being able to play there if needed.

Wales may do the same, King could get in ahead of Ball or Davies. Predominantly a flanker he happily covers lock. But is a very lightweight option.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 30 Aug 2015, 9:21 pm

Its probably not so much about taking only three locks, but more about taking six loose forwards.Hansen sees the attrition and bench options of loose forwards as having more impact on the playing 23, in the tournament situation of one condensed month and the individual game plans of each game throughout that month.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 31 Aug 2015, 12:05 am

Pity he has to wait until the end of the SXV next year- he could start now... Ulster have a good one there, one of my favourite players, gutted he's not going.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon 31 Aug 2015, 4:26 am

Taylorman wrote:

Pity he has to wait until the end of the SXV next year- he could start now... Ulster have a good one there, one of my favourite players, gutted he's not going.

Can't help but feeling we're heading for a ton of a high balls.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 31 Aug 2015, 5:19 am

blackcanelion wrote:
Taylorman wrote:

Can't help but feeling we're heading for a ton of a high balls.

Yes well no Dagg, Jane and Piutau to take them, 3 of the better ones thats true...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon 31 Aug 2015, 6:05 am

They can kick balls at Ben Smith and Milner-Skudder all day, I dont mind.
In fact mad as it sounds, kicking to Savea would probably be a better option.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 01 Sep 2015, 2:39 am

Slade rolled his ankle. One down, three to go. Beaver where are you?

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/71636368/All-Blacks-first-five-Colin-Slade-injures-ankle-at-training-expected-to-recover

ps. not serious injury Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down