The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

+22
Alistair
Hoggy_Bear
Galted
Mr Bounce
compelling and rich
ShahenshahG
MIG
President Trump
Ent
westisbest
incontinentia
ONETWOFOREVER
JuliusHMarx
Hero
Stella
Dr Shoe
seanmichaels
Rowley
lfc91
rIck_dAgless
Dolphin Ziggler
TRUSSMAN66
26 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ?? Empty James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 02 Sep 2015, 11:09 pm

Kind of a proud British institution and rightly so.......The whole world knows James Bond...........

Let's face it that whole Queen thing during 2012 certainly guaranteed SKYFALL was to be a success......She kind of gave it the seal.

Hopkins has played a famous American giant in Nixon and he did a good job.....Got the accent pretty much spot on....and fairplay ..Accents for actors aren't that bigger deal !!

Craig is looking old now and hasn't got long to go.............Should Bond always be British ?? or would you be happy for an American to put on a Brit accent..??

Is Bond sacred ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ?? Empty Re: James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:32 am

As far as I'm concerned if you can pull off the accent then its no big deal.

However, I do think its such a big deal that its nice for it to also be a chance to showcase British acting talent in a blockbuster.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ?? Empty Re: James Bond - Would you be happy for an American to play 007 ??

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:53 am

Lazenby was American wasn't he? And that was the worst film from (arguably) the best book...

But I have no issue with an American playing it as long as the accents is British.

I am sure Jeff will have his say as our local Bondophile...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by lfc91 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:30 am

Yeah I agree with the accent issue. If the actor can pull it off then im happy for him to play the role (obviously needs to be a good actor aswell).

A bad accent could turn me away from a film or show. Almost gave up watching Sons of Anarchy during season 3 when they came to Belfast. Some of the accents were riculously bad!

lfc91

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:45 am

Lazenby was an Aussie I believe Rick. Whilst I would not have an issue per se with it being played by an American I don't particularly see the need, Britain hardly struggles to produce acting talent, just off the top of my head the likes of Michael Fassbender, Damien Lewis and Tom Hiddlestone are all British and capable actors. Anyone of them seem more than capable of playing Bond and are not hard to imagine in the role. Bond for me is best when it is not trying to be all things to all men, QOS was poor for trying to be a Bourne film. Similarly Tomorrow Never Dies was not helped by its shameless courting of the Chinese market. The Bond films do well enough without having to cast an American in the belief it will widen their appeal there.

They have made enough money over a 50 odd year period casting (more often than not) a white British male, not sure why there is any great need to screw with the formula at this point, particularly not on the back of probably the most successful film the series has ever seen.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:48 am

I stand corrected Jeffers, and I concur with your subsequent points...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:07 am

What about Idris Elba, Jeff? Is he too street?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:53 am

As I would like to think my posting history on here and profession would be enough to convince people I am not racist but I am fiercely opposed to casting a black guy as Bond. When you're a bond fan/obsessive/geek you buy into a certain back story and mythology about the character. That being namely that his roots and start of his career were during the cold war. By the very nature of the era the cold war was set in the minute you cast a black guy as Bond you completely destroy this back story, as it simply could not have happened.

Appreciate the timelines mean for this back story to be true Bond would currently be about 80 year old but the length of the series requires a certain suspension of belief but as a fan I don't see that as a reason to completely destroy the back story and by dint the characters behaviour and views, which casting a black actor does for me.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Sep 2015, 8:57 am

Bond can't be ginger, black or northern.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:00 am

Jude Law or Christian Bale for me.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Shoe Thu 03 Sep 2015, 9:21 am

Jason Statham or Danny Dyer for me

Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe
Dr Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:03 am

No, I'd prefer to be a white, suave, good looking Englishman.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:19 am

Rowley wrote:As I would like to think my posting history on here and profession would be enough to convince people I am not racist but I am fiercely opposed to casting a black guy as Bond. When you're a bond fan/obsessive/geek you buy into a certain back story and mythology about the character. That being namely that his roots and start of his career were during the cold war. By the very nature of the era the cold war was set in the minute you cast a black guy as Bond you completely destroy this back story, as it simply could not have happened.

Appreciate the timelines mean for this back story to be true Bond would currently be about 80 year old but the length of the series requires a certain suspension of belief but as a fan I don't see that as a reason to completely destroy the back story and by dint the characters behaviour and views, which casting a black actor does for me.

I'd forgotten about Lazenby.............Had his voice dubbed most of the movie..

Put him with Niven and Sellars...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:26 am

Is James Bond the character always meant to be the same original James Bond or just the alias to which agents inherit? I just always assumed someone else took over that alias ala M/Q etc.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:38 am

Hero wrote:Is James Bond the character always meant to be the same original James Bond or just the alias to which agents inherit? I just always assumed someone else took over that alias ala M/Q etc.

I presume each agent has their own code, hence me wanting a Roger Moore style Bond.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 03 Sep 2015, 10:45 am

Hero wrote:Is James Bond the character always meant to be the same original James Bond or just the alias to which agents inherit? I just always assumed someone else took over that alias ala M/Q etc.

It was a fan theory I think, but the Roger Moore Bond visited the grave of George Lazenby's Bond's wife, which would be odd if they were different agents.

No need for a Yank to play Bond - I'd be against is. I just hope that someone like, say, Robert Downey Jr, never plays Sherlock Holmes.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 11:06 am

American actors that have turned down an approach to play Bond ....

Burt Reynolds ......
Clint Eastwood...
Adam West...

Also the great Hugh Jackman was approached.....Though of course he's an Aussie..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:30 pm

Bond should be BLACK no doubt about it.

I should be Bond. And when M gives me my instructions I will say ''Hay why we going after these guys when we should be going for the ILLUMINATI''

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 12:37 pm

I'm sure we'd all feel safe with you as a secret service agent..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:20 pm

I would like to see Benedict Cumberbatch as Bond. A nerdier, geekier Bond with surprisingly strong hand-to-hand combat skills.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:23 pm

Maybe have a female bond.........We live in an age of equality....

I'd pay to see Charlize Theron in a tuxedo anytime.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 03 Sep 2015, 1:33 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe have a female bond.........We live in an age of equality....

I'd pay to see Charlize Theron in a tuxedo anytime.....
Good idea Trussman, but the female lead would ideally be able to handle herself physically- I'm thinking Sarah Michelle Gellar, or perhaps Rebecca Ferguson Drool
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 03 Sep 2015, 3:06 pm

As has been said, the accent needs to be good.

I think Tom Hardy would be a good Bond.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Sep 2015, 3:13 pm

westisbest wrote:As has been said, the accent needs to be good.

No offence, but imagine a Brummie Bond?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 03 Sep 2015, 3:52 pm

From outside the British Isles, I'd go for Matthew McConnaughey if he could get the accent right.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:07 pm

Bond has been evolving into a generic action film, taking a lot from the Bourne films.

May as well cast an American and not worry about the accent.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

Tom Hiddlestone would be perfect if they were looking to go back to the old school Bond days

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:19 pm

I think Michael Fassbender seems the obvious choice to me.  
I was going to say as much as I like Tom Hiddlestone I couldn't see him as Bond, but you may have a point, he could be a Bond more in the mold of Roger Moore.
Can't see Damien Lewis suiting the role at all and he isn't far off the same age as Daniel Craig.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:20 pm

Stella wrote:
westisbest wrote:As has been said, the accent needs to be good.

No offence, but imagine a Brummie Bond?

Jasper Carrot.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

I like the idea of having a Bond who looks like he can handle himself a bit. Being a geek and having read all the Fleming books it is certainly more in keeping with the Bond that appears on the page. Watching Roger Moore dispatching various henchmen with a ridiculous karate chop to the neck was just embarrassing. Craig at least looks like he can do a bit, and his face actually looks like he has been in the odd fight. Fassbender would be a good fit for me, suave enough to meet peoples expectations in that respect and big enough of a unit to look like he would not be hid under the table if it cut up rough.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm

Just cast Lenny Henry. Black, Dudley accent, but child of Jamaican immigrants. Ticks a lot of socially important boxes, as well as the Brummie one. Plus he could really sell us on austerity Bond, staying in Holiday Inns whilst on missions.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:29 pm

Dwayne Johnson. Easiest answer to ever give.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

DZ, I'd like to think you would have realised I am an easy going kind of chap, but when it comes to Bond I have no sense of humour. I take this way more seriously than it warrants.

Henry is too old anyway, now Richard Blackwood could be a whole different matter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:33 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Just cast Lenny Henry. Black, Dudley accent, but child of Jamaican immigrants. Ticks a lot of socially important boxes, as well as the Brummie one. Plus he could really sell us on austerity Bond, staying in Holiday Inns whilst on missions.

Not Premier Inns?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Just cast Lenny Henry. Black, Dudley accent, but child of Jamaican immigrants. Ticks a lot of socially important boxes, as well as the Brummie one. Plus he could really sell us on austerity Bond, staying in Holiday Inns whilst on missions.

If Lenny can get a knighthood, then landing the new Bond should be a doddle!
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:36 pm

Or go further north and go scouse.

John Bishop.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 03 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

Phillip Winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm

Winchester could be good in a few years.

Now that you mention him John, will miss strike back.

How about Sean bean

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:29 pm

He is too old now, Bean and has already appreared in Goldeneye. Jack O'Connell could be a decent left field choice. Decent actor and young enough to be in the role for a few years.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:36 pm

Dereck Chisora?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:45 pm

Rowley wrote:DZ, I'd like to think you would have realised I am an easy going kind of chap, but when it comes to Bond I have no sense of humour. I take this way more seriously than it warrants.

Henry is too old anyway, now Richard Blackwood could be a whole different matter.

Lee Evans? Physical comedy, looks good in a suit. Classic British character.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 03 Sep 2015, 5:47 pm

I am going to kill you. Where is SERIALDAVE when you need him. He is missing an opportunity to make a few quid here.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:02 pm

Sacha Baron Cohen?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:02 pm

ill be happy for bond to be black when we get a white shaft

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:02 pm

Andy F*cking Parsons or Russell Howard

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:04 pm

compelling and rich wrote:ill be happy for bond to be black when we get a white shaft

Sean will happily accommodate you. With or without Lubricant?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:05 pm

compelling and rich wrote:ill be happy for bond to be black when we get a white shaft

You're really eager for a good white shaft eh?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:06 pm

i did say "we" your all included

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 03 Sep 2015, 6:08 pm

Sorry I don't have a white shaft. Dolphin you must put your tino bumming skills to use with C&R

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 03 Sep 2015, 7:05 pm

Just cos you suggest it doesnt mean we all want it, C&R. Kind of you to share though.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next