The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

+45
fa0019
wrfc1980
Heaf
nathan
brennomac
yappysnap
SecretFly
LordDowlais
TJ
mikey_dragon
majesticimperialman
Majestic83
Cyril
screamingaddabs
RubyGuby
eirebilly
Gooseberry
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
Gwlad
GavinDragon
lostinwales
Poorfour
Jimpy
No 7&1/2
munkian
Fanster
blackcanelion
LondonTiger
englandglory4ever
Biltong
Luckless Pedestrian
rodders
beshocked
donglewood
No9
Exiledinborders
BamBam
Scottrf
TightHEAD
rainbow-warrior
Wi11
Icu
George Carlin
Pot Hale
49 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Empty RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

Post by Pot Hale Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:44 am

First topic message reminder :

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Autral10 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Englan11 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Fiji10 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Urugua10 RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Wales10
The pool with the highest rankers and most arguments.

Teams

Australia (2) [9/1]
England (4) [5/1]
Wales (5) [25/1]
Fiji (9) [1500/1]
Uruguay (19) [10,000/1]

Fixtures

18 Sep England v Fiji
20 Sep Wales v Uruguay
23 Sep Australia v Fiji
26 Sep England v Wales
27 Sep Australia v Uruguay
1 Oct Wales v Fiji
3 Oct England v Australia
6 Oct Fiji v Uruguay
10 Oct Australia v Wales
10 Oct England v Uruguay

Wales suffering two key player losses - will they try even harder?    Will they now have to score more/some tries?
England are now the second coming or coming second - depending on your point of view.
Australia have a scrum - apparently - so all is well with the world.

This pool could see one loss each for the three top teams - or is that four?   Fiji, currently ranked ninth in the world, might determine who emerges from this pool, including themselves.

The Aussies are on the up.  So are England sitting as the highest ranked NH team for the start of the tournament.

Wales will beg to differ with Gatland leading the mind games into the first of the pool matches.

It's too close to call, so everybody else can have their say instead.

Last edited by Pot Hale on Thu 17 Sep 2015, 12:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Empty Re: RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

Post by englandglory4ever Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:45 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You mean that 8-point thrashing a few weeks ago? Ruthless! Wink

Yes go on take all the solace you can out of the scoreline. Ireland were thrashed and only a bit of England rustiness prevented a further 3 tries. Ireland were comprehensively outplayed and you know it.

englandglory4ever

Back to top Go down

RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay - Page 4 Empty Re: RWC 15 - Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:53 pm

englandglory4ever wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You mean that 8-point thrashing a few weeks ago? Ruthless! Wink

Yes go on take all the solace you can out of the scoreline. Ireland were thrashed and only a bit of England rustiness prevented a further 3 tries. Ireland were comprehensively outplayed and you know it.

A pity England left their form in the warm ups then isn't it....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 21 Sep 2015, 12:57 pm

rodders wrote:
englandglory4ever wrote:

A pity England left their form in the warm ups then isn't it....

Interesting looking at the stats for Friday. Yes for the first time probably ever we gave away more penalties than Fiji, and least said about losing 3 scrums the better, but as I pointed out on the game thread the stats showed England well on top. And when it comes down to it just how many times did Fiji actually threaten the England line?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:15 pm

lostinwales wrote: And when it comes down to it just how many times did Fiji actually threaten the England line?

Well apart from the 2 they scored and the 1 disallowed? Given that they had 40% possession that's a pretty even game given England dubious tries.

Other decision that went against Fiji was when the TMO recommended the yellow card for the clear out around the neck by Wood and then the ref ignored him and went with a penalty.

Another was when Matawalu's try was disallowed the TMO pointed out that Wood had unbound early and did the ref want to go back for the penalty, to which he said he'd given the penalty but advantage was over - disgraceful stuff.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:21 pm

They only scored 1 didn't they? I have to question everything else you say after that...

You seem to be counting some things twice!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

advantage is over if you get to the line - you have had a clear chance to score - advantage over. Its always like that

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:29 pm

rodders wrote:Another was when Matawalu's try was disallowed the TMO pointed out that Wood had unbound early and did  the ref want to go back for the penalty, to which he said he'd given the penalty but advantage was over - disgraceful stuff.
How's that disgraceful? He got to the try line, obviously he'd had the advantage.

Your anti-English bias is tiresome.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:30 pm

Fiji scored one which resulted directly from the one disallowed. You can't make that into two 'possible' scores

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:30 pm

To be fair he probably should have gone all the way back as Wood was then held off the ball.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:31 pm

Scottrf wrote:
rodders wrote:Another was when Matawalu's try was disallowed the TMO pointed out that Wood had unbound early and did  the ref want to go back for the penalty, to which he said he'd given the penalty but advantage was over - disgraceful stuff.
How's that disgraceful? He got to the try line, obviously he'd had the advantage.

Your anti-English bias is tiresome.

Pretty sure if it was the other way round he'd go back for the advantage - obviously the TMO didn't know the rules because he queried it....

I just want an even playing field and not the hosts getting everything handed to them by the officials.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:35 pm

Lol, here we go?

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

I think rodders is just having a little bit of fun, the cheeky chap Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 21 Sep 2015, 1:46 pm

Cyril wrote:I think rodders is just having a little bit of fun, the cheeky chap Smile

I don't know how some of you sleep at night angel
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 21 Sep 2015, 3:02 pm

Tyler Morgan has been called up to replace Allan. Guessing this makes no difference to anything (other than useful experience to the newbie)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:11 pm

lostinwales wrote:Tyler Morgan has been called up to replace Allan. Guessing this makes no difference to anything (other than useful experience to the newbie)

I imagine Morgan will get a run against Fiji not sure if he will be involved against England or Australia (nor that Allen would have been), though not sure who the 3rd back will be on the bench.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:31 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:I imagine Morgan will get a run against Fiji

no, no, no. He will be on a hiding to nothing. If we beat England then we MUST win that one as well, why do we always have this mindset ? We took Uruguay lightly yesterday and were caught short, everyone else will be putting 80+ on them.

We need five points from the Fiji game. We will not get that by playing players like Tyler Morgan.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

LordDowlais wrote:

no, no, no. He will be on a hiding to nothing. If we beat England then we MUST win that one as well, why do we always have this mindset ? We took Uruguay lightly yesterday and were caught short, everyone else will be putting 80+ on them.

We need five points from the Fiji game. We will not get that by playing players like Tyler Morgan.

LD,

I agree but I can't see him risking Roberts and Sc Williams against Fiji with such a short turn around. One of them will step down for Morgan I reckon.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:38 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

LD,

I agree but I can't see him risking Roberts and Sc Williams against Fiji with such a short turn around.  One of them will step down for Morgan I reckon.

I just hope that we do not need to go into the Australia game needing to beat them by a massive score because of our lackluster display yesterday. steam

We now need to beat Fiji by more than Australia will.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:42 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

LD,

I agree but I can't see him risking Roberts and Sc Williams against Fiji with such a short turn around.  One of them will step down for Morgan I reckon.

I just hope that we do not need to go into the Australia game needing to beat them by a massive score because of our lackluster display yesterday. steam

I said all along that we should have played our strongest possible XV yesterday some agreed some dis-agreed but looks like it might come back to bite us in the a**e.

bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 21 Sep 2015, 4:46 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

LD,

I said all along that we should have played our strongest possible XV yesterday some agreed some dis-agreed but looks like it might come back to bite us in the a**e.

Bedford i have been of the understanding for a long time that in your first game you should all ways play your best 15. To score has many points as possible. and of course try not to get any injuries.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Sep 2015, 5:01 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

LD,

Not if we win all our games.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 21 Sep 2015, 9:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

LD,

I think we are in an OK position, possible injuries aside...!

Gatland said last week that focus was on England not on Uruguay, we had a bonus point reasonably quickly and we didn't concede any tries.

We ha e our best players ready to come in for the England game.

I don't think much was revealed about how Wales will play in the last four matches, our attack was pretty simple, when the coaches have selected a squad to play fast rugby..!

Players that did get knocks were taken off very quickly. No risks were taken.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:13 am

Australia-Fiji tonight, could be interesting. Questions lingering over how good Australia actually are - their reputation has been built on a strong Rugby Championship performance but at least one leg of that now looks a relatively modest achievement, and they got a smacking in the second Bledisloe game.

Fiji will be tired, but desperate. This is a knockout game for them, and they will be aware that they get to play Wales in very favourable circumstances next up, so if they can pull off a shock win tonight they have a great chance of progressiing.

I think Aussie class will tell though.

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:54 am

Well my optimism is slipping away and its nowt to do with locks!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 23 Sep 2015, 3:30 pm

I'm afraid Fiji don't have a hope in hell. Which in this WC of course means they could actually go on and do it.

But realistically I can't see them doing any 'Japan' on Australia - not with Cheika at the helm.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:25 pm

Fiji will be tired, especially in the last 30. Expect pride and passion to keep it tight until then, but after that Oz will rack up a big points dif.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

Sure to be an exciting game looking at both their teams... Can't wait

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:27 pm

yappysnap wrote:Fiji will be tired, especially in the last 30. Expect pride and passion to keep it tight until then, but after that Oz will rack up a big points dif.

Fiji had an extra days rest compared to Japan, but even so we can expect to see what you described which mirrored the match just finished at Kingsholm.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:35 pm

This game just like the Scotland and Japan game will play into Australia's hand, because Fiji will a little tired from playing England on Fri.day

Still i am looking forward to see what Australia will win by.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

Is Kane Douglas really one of the two best second rows in Aus. Seeing him for a year with Leinster he was total sh1te

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:37 pm

Well Fiji did not tire as i thought they might, and as they did at Twickenham. Australia will be worried about their lineout.

Fiji now have a full week off before facing Wales next Thursday. Could be a fascinating clash.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Well Fiji did not tire as i thought they might, and as they did at Twickenham. Australia will be worried about their lineout.

Fiji now have a full week off before facing Wales next Thursday. Could be a fascinating clash.

Fiji can feel very unlucky so far, extremely hard done by both ref performances, England probably didn't deserve a TBP, and Australia looked like they might get it early on.

Wales have to hope Fiji are a different animal, being basically out and all, I don't see Fiji turning us over per se, but it will be a tight encounter of which Wales will be on the back of an England clash

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm

Get over the ref Fanster.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:44 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Get over the ref Fanster.

Get over rugby 7.5

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm

What does that even mean?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Fanster Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:49 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:What does that even mean?

Exactly what I was thinking!

Either make an actual comment or don't bother.

Fanster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

Well mine meant stop whinging about a ref who let things slide for both sides in the eng Fiji game. Pretty obvious.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 23 Sep 2015, 8:42 pm

Its his backup plan should things not go well for Wales.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed 23 Sep 2015, 11:40 pm

England scored 4 perfectly valid tries so I think that means they did deserve the bonus point ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:30 am

Fanster wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Get over the ref Fanster.

Get over rugby 7.5

That's a rubbish comeback! Laugh

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:22 am

Fanster wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Well Fiji did not tire as i thought they might, and as they did at Twickenham. Australia will be worried about their lineout.

Fiji can feel very unlucky so far, extremely hard done by both ref performances, England probably didn't deserve a TBP, and Australia looked like they might get it early on.

Wales have to hope Fiji are a different animal, being basically out and all, I don't see Fiji turning us over per se, but it will be a tight encounter of which Wales will be on the back of an England clash

I agree Fiji have played well and deserve more, certainly plenty of reports in the media stated that in their first match England opening penalty try was truck and trailer and was it the third had two or three un-noticed forward passes, that and a better goal kicker and Fiji would have done well.

Vs Aistralia if a few more passes went to hand they would have been very much in the game.

It is though great to see how they have evolved their game as a nation. Good halfbacks and a solid set piece in this World Cup, a great back row in 07, not just sevens players anymore.

We hopefully will expect them to be a very creditable force by 2019.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:47 am

Nonetheless, Australia failed to get a bonus point against Fiji. I suspect Wales wont either.

That could cost them both dear.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:51 am

Wales be thinking only of beating Fiji, the bonus point will be on the back burnet. I think Fiji can have a real good go at taking Wales. For me this is only 55-45 in wales favour and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fiji win.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:53 am

Which is all credit to what a great team Fiji are becoming. This is brilliant news for international rugby, the more competitive nations competing the more great rugby matches we fans get to watch.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:57 am

Both England and Australia were very wasteful and error ridden against Fiji and never looked like losing. I don't see Wales losing at all.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:07 am

Scottrf wrote:Both England and Australia were very wasteful and error ridden against Fiji and never looked like losing. I don't see Wales losing at all.

Both struggled at the set piece... Fiji looked very good there. By the time they play Wales the analysts will have had plenty of time to figure Fiji out in this area.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:Which is all credit to what a great team Fiji are becoming. This is brilliant news for international rugby, the more competitive nations competing the more great rugby matches we fans get to watch.

But apparently, England should have put a cricket score on them and were 'lucky' to get the try bonus point?

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:42 am

Jimpy not sure anyone suggested that England should put a cricket score on Fiji.

England were a bit lucky to get the try bonus point as they left it to the final play of the game. I think the margin of victory did flatter England but it was a good result though not a good performance.

The try bonus could work in England's favour if England,Wales and Australia get one win apiece against one another.

A positive is that Fiji caused quite a bit of problems for Australia at set piece time, not just England.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:49 am

beshocked wrote:Jimpy not sure anyone suggested that England should put a cricket score on Fiji.

England were a bit lucky to get the try bonus point as they left it to the final play of the game. I think the margin of victory did flatter England but it was a good result though not a good performance.

The try bonus could work in England's favour if England,Wales and Australia get one win apiece against one another.

A positive is that Fiji caused quite a bit of problems for Australia at set piece time, not just England.

Sadly (but not unexpectedly), you've missed the attempt at sarcasm in my post and interpreted it literally, never mind.

But I agree its fairly obvious that the try bonus point England got will work in their favour as Australia didn't (and I suspect Wales wont) get a bonus point against them. I also think its fairly obvious that if we're going to start talking cricket scores, Australia and England will probably get them v Uruguay, making Wales' effort against them seem less than impressive now, and working against Wales in terms of points difference.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 24 Sep 2015, 8:54 am

Fiji played some superlative rugby again and were hard done by the fixtures and scoreline.

That said the Wallabies are looking good - Pocock and Hooper are going to cause teams a lot of problems and with the skill they have out wide, as long as their half packs do the business they could go a long way.

Cheika is definitely one of the top coaches in the competition too.

Great pool for the neutral!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next