The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+27
pedro
westisbest
McLaren
puligny
kwinigolfer
SmithersJones
Eyetoldyouso
BlueCoverman
MontysMerkin
Mad for Chelsea
lorus59
Bob_the_Job
Dolphin Ziggler
Davie
Be_the_ball
1GrumpyGolfer
hend085
JAS
GunsGerms
beninho
golfermartin
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
incontinentia
raycastleunited
MustPuttBetter
super_realist
31 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

It's more the leaving it to the last minute which is nonsense. It is appalling business practice for the buyer to do this, as the seller knows they can keep the price high.

What is the point in the window being open for two months if nothing gets done until the last day? Just make it a day long, the opposite of a DFS sale.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:14 pm

I always think badly of people who put their decorations up this early too.

There's often a correlation between that and being a ne'er do well.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:40 pm

Disagree. Not that close to something worthy of a Darwin.

Mac. You don't half talk twaddle sometimes. "Yeah. I'd let my parents - you know, the people who raised me etc etc - die horribly in a fire rather than do anything to try and rescue them". picard
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:43 pm

Really Navy,  10 Aerosols, Flammable materials (pine needles, wood), confined space and a ignition source (lighter and ciggies). Sounds like a perfect Darwin to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:08 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Disagree. Not that close to something worthy of a Darwin.

Mac. You don't half talk twaddle sometimes. "Yeah. I'd let my parents - you know, the people who raised me etc etc - die horribly in a fire rather than do anything to try and rescue them". picard

I agree navy, what are you on mclaren.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:14 pm

I'm not sure you could consider that Mac has been raised at all.

Someone just gave him a bus pass and a library ticket and told him to get on with it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:48 pm

Would anyone seriously jeopardize your own life and the happiness of your partner and children to save your 78 year old parents? picard
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:25 pm

I would say alot of people would. Yes.

You would just let them die. WTF.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Would anyone seriously jeopardize your own life and the happiness of your partner and children to save your 78 year old parents?  picard

Mac, can you envisage a situation in which you were stupid enough to cause a fire of such magnitude that you couldn't evacuate everyone safely from your house?

It's not even a case of picking who gets saved, it's about not being stupid enough or prepared enough to deal with such a scenario in the first place.
It's the entire premise of a Darwin award, being so catastrophically stupid, that your own actions (or lack of) take you out of the gene pool. This woman is a victim of staggering stupidity and it's very hard to feel sorry for someone so inept.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:54 pm

Mac is just attention seeking again - don't feed him

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:07 pm

McLaren wrote:Would anyone seriously jeopardize your own life and the happiness of your partner and children to save your 78 year old parents?  picard
Seriously, if I'm your brother and find you acted like that, I'm going to put you in hospital. Not sure you'll be so happy then...

Edit: ...I'd also do everything in my power to ensure you didn't inherit anything that your parents might have left you in any Will.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:41 am

pedro wrote:If you laugh of this name you're a racist..

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1604099093156689&set=a.1429722997260967.1073741829.100006698409833&type=3&source=48&__tn__=E
Booo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34918491

Still pretty amusing though.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:19 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
pedro wrote:If you laugh of this name you're a racist..

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1604099093156689&set=a.1429722997260967.1073741829.100006698409833&type=3&source=48&__tn__=E
Booo!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34918491

Still pretty amusing though.
Yeah I read that too.
But have you noticed the jounalist is called "Nga Pham". So is it a double hoax?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Ok, Spieth is toast on this board now...
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-tackles-god-or-science-question-juniors/

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:45 pm

Nice bluff Darren. He's even shown laughing.
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/clarke-woods-massive-addition-us-ryder-team/

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:04 am

pedro wrote:Ok, Spieth is toast on this board now...
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/spieth-tackles-god-or-science-question-juniors/

He's a fully paid up member of the PGA bible thumpers, although does a good job of keeping that rather embarrassing titbit secret.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:17 am

He was asked "'Do you believe in God, or do you believe in science?''. The vast majority of religious people do not think of this as a dichotomy like that. Only the most moronic religious people (which sadly Spieth seems to be) would answer God over science. Most would say something along the lines of there is no conflict or the answer different questions. The anti science theists tend to be the ones that think dinosaurs roamed with humans, the world is 6000 years old and Darwinian evolution is a myth.

Poor Simba, what a confused man.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:23 am

McLaren wrote:He was asked "'Do you believe in God, or do you believe in science?''. The vast majority of religious people do not think of this as a dichotomy like that.  Only the most moronic religious people (which sadly Spieth seems to be) would answer God over science.  Most would say something along the lines of there is no conflict or the answer different questions.  The anti science theists tend to be the ones that think dinosaurs roamed with humans, the world is 6000 years old and Darwinian evolution is a myth.

Poor Simba, what a confused man.

He's American and from Dallas, Texas, Should we expect anything else? At least he doesn't tend to talk about it like Simpson or Johnson.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:31 am

I guess having inserts in your science textbook that claim science is only one way to verify reality is pretty bad for your educational development.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:08 am

an interesting phrase that one Mac. I guess it depends on what is meant by "verify reality" (if that's a direct quote).

Myself, I think the simplest way of looking at it is to say that science attempts to answer the question(s) "how?".

I'm slightly worried that an 11 or 12 year-old Australian would think it's a simple dichotomy between science and religion, I thought the Australians were smarter than that. I have some sympathy with Spieth, who must know only too well just how many people he'll alienate if he answers differently to what he did... Still, could have fudged it a little: a simple "science and religion seek to answer difference questions" would have sufficed...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:17 am

I'm not sure why Spieth would feel he would alienate someone if he didn't say the imaginary jewish sky zombie.

None of his sponsors are with him for his take on fairy tales.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:28 am

Mad

All I meant is that the scientific methods are the only ways we have for investigating reality (the natural world if you will).

I would not be surprised to find out the kid was intentionally messing with Spieth, Australians are pretty good at taking the p155 and value it as part of their culture.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:46 am

Mac

Fair enough, I agree with both paragraphs, you could be right about the Australian taking the mickey...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:49 am

I'm not so sure. The Antipodes has its fair share of wingnuts. Ken Ham and Ray Comfort.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:08 pm

Who have to ply their trade in the USA.

Although sadly Abbott got away with running the country as a wingnut for quite some time.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:03 am

Disappointing, but hardly surprising. At least he doesn't bang on about it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:21 am

Would like to see the response if a European was asked.

"Are you effing kidding?"

At least SPOTY looks a bit more interesting all of a sudden this year. GB Davis Cup Team are surely team of the year. Leon Smith Coach of the Year.

Hopefully that dreadful oik Hamilton, who has done nothing but beat his team mate again will leave with nothing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:53 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into this. Put on the spot, Spieth is still pretty young and inexperienced at dealing with the public / media scrutiny, he probably thought this was the safest answer. Whether he actually believes this or not who knows.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:57 pm

super_realist wrote:
GB Davis Cup  Team are surely team of the year. Leon Smith Coach of the Year.

Not sure you can really call one person a team.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Plenty of teams with prominent players in them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:21 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

I wouldn't read too much into this. Put on the spot, Spieth is still pretty young and inexperienced at dealing with the public / media scrutiny, he probably thought this was the safest answer. Whether he actually believes this or not who god knows.
Fixed it for you

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:35 pm

super_realist wrote:Would like to see the response if a European was asked.

At least SPOTY looks a bit more interesting all of a sudden this year. GB Davis Cup  Team are surely team of the year. Leon Smith Coach of the Year.

Hopefully that dreadful oik Hamilton, who has done nothing but beat his team mate again will leave with nothing.
As oppose to the cheerful charlie sweaty, who beat some belgians at tennis. Yep that is an outstanding achievement. Reckon he'd of still won playing with his mummy wummy. I'm sure if surly murray was from Chorley we'd be hearing what a waste of time tennis is...
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:39 pm

super_realist wrote:Plenty of teams with prominent players in them.

Yes but I can't think of another example where one person has so blatantly carried his team mates single handedly. The rest of the players were irrelevant.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:42 pm

I think the Womans football team has a better shout for team of the year and coach of the year. Making the Semi Finals was a pretty impressive feat.

Isnt the Davis Cup a bit meh in tennis circles?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:46 pm

What have the women's football team won? I think we stopped rewarding being "almost" successful in SPOTY years ago. People are actually required to win something these days.

As for teams carried singlehandedly, Argentina/Maradona, Liverpool/Gerrard, England/Beckham.

Last edited by super_realist on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:47 pm

So looked at this Davis Cup a bit more, and it appears that Federer and Wawrinka did not play for the Swiss, and Djokovic did not play for the Serbs when they lost. So its not really anything special is it?

--In football, the best players still need someone to pass them the ball and save any shots from the opposition, in the Davis Cup, Murray can just do it all himself, with some help from his brother in one game.

I would Also say the Ashes win was better than the Davis Cup win, and I would still pick Hamilton over Murray for his achievement in his chosen sport, in fact Tyson Fury ( not a fan) and degale have moved themselves near the top with their big wins over the weekend.

But its all about what you enjoy, and im really not a tennis fan. But Its opinions!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:50 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:Would like to see the response if a European was asked.

At least SPOTY looks a bit more interesting all of a sudden this year. GB Davis Cup  Team are surely team of the year. Leon Smith Coach of the Year.

As oppose to the cheerful charlie sweaty, who beat some belgians at tennis. Yep that is an outstanding achievement. Reckon he'd of still won playing with his mummy wummy. I'm sure if surly murray was from Chorley we'd be hearing what a waste of time tennis is...

You know I'm not a fan of Scotchness right?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:01 pm

Andy Murray's achievements in helping GB to the Davis Cup were certainly remarkable, and he had a pretty good year besides that, finishing number 2 in the world for the first time.

I would like to see Mo Farah get it, he won two world titles AGAIN, simply a brilliant athlete and up there with GB's best of all time. However in the odds he seems nowhere?

Ennis is favourite, but not convinced. Yep a fine win in the Heptathlon, albeit helped by KJT making a right mess of the LJ, but hardly the greatest heptathlon field you'll ever see.

Other than that, Fury's win at the week-end certainly puts him in the frame: beating someone who hadn't lost for 11 years and was the undisputed heavyweight champion is some feat. Not so sure about Degale, he's won a title but isn't the best in his division really...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:12 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if they gerrymandered it to give it to Ennis because she's female.
They love to be PC.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:15 pm

One person who definitely won't be winning SPOTY is Rooney. In all seriousness I hope he goes in January.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:19 pm

Footballers rarely get it Mac, not least because British footballers are hopeless and never achieve the top honours.

To win SPOTY you basically need major wins in whatever sport, which in Football is World Cup/Euro's.

Surprised someone mentioned the Ashes team, was anything more of an anti climax than that, the defeat of a deflated and washed up Ozzy team?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:33 pm

I just thought that the AShes was a better achievement to me than the Davis Cup win. I dont think the Aussies were deflated and washed up, they came as big favourites, and after Englands poor series in the West Indies, and horrendous world cup, which Australia won, it was an unexpected win. Stuart Broads figures in the Trent Bridge test, make him a contender for SPOTY alone! But again its all about opinions.

And Ennis coming back after childbirth and winning gold was superb, definitely deserving of the award. It would be good to see Mo win aswell, another great achievement. Our greatest long distance runner.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:36 pm

Surely Mo's cheating rules him out?

If he were Russian (or other nation we look down upon) he would currently be banned from competing.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:43 pm

He hasn't failed a drug test, nor has his governing body, Uk Athletics been found to run large scale doping schemes.

He is linked to one report linking his coach to potential doping. But nothing proved and nothing has come of it since.

He appears to be clean.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Yeah, all opinion Ben, to me though, like golf, Cricket isn't enough of a sport, something in which you wear pressed trousers, stand around doing nothing for hours and stop for tea and cucumber sandwiches is not a sport to me.

I reckon it will be too distant in people's memories too, and it's become somewhat commonplace to beat the Aussies too lately.  Can't see them winning anything.

I can see why you don't rate the Davis Cup, but it's been a long five year road from bottom of the pile to the very top, decades since they won it and a very dramatic winning effort.

Another thing we have to consider is that it also seems to matter which sports the BBC has broadcast rights to. Not that there is much left. So unfortunately, that gives a lot of presence to the engineering coin toss of F1.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:24 pm

super_realist wrote:Yeah, all opinion Ben, to me though, like golf, Cricket isn't enough of a sport, something in which you wear pressed trousers, stand around doing nothing for hours and stop for tea and cucumber sandwiches is not a sport to me....
You don't half talk baloney sometimes don't you? Try being a quick bowler in a test match? Or, for that matter, try facing one. Try batting for any length of time in that gear, in hot weather, while playing a one day match? Try fielding point/gully to quickies? Or keeping wicket? Do you see many of the top players looking out of shape these days? Doh

There's more to 'sport' than huge aerobic/anaerobic feats.

As Ben says though, all opinions....but yours is pants on this one raspberry.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 pm

For some reason I think they must all be rather acidic in taste?

http://golferswines.com/news_events/faldo_wine_launch/

Ironic the website is called golferswine.. Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:05 am

Is that golfer swine?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:04 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:Yeah, all opinion Ben, to me though, like golf, Cricket isn't enough of a sport, something in which you wear pressed trousers, stand around doing nothing for hours and stop for tea and cucumber sandwiches is not a sport to me....
You don't half talk baloney sometimes don't you? Try being a quick bowler in a test match? Or, for that matter, try facing one. Try batting for any length of time in that gear, in hot weather, while playing a one day match? Try fielding point/gully to quickies? Or keeping wicket? Do you see many of the top players looking out of shape these days? Doh

There's more to 'sport' than huge aerobic/anaerobic feats.

As Ben says though, all opinions....but yours is pants on this one raspberry.

You could say the same for standing under the lights on the oche, or at the snooker etc.

I feel a sport needs to be aerobic, otherwise I consider it a past time.

Fat cricketers? Samit Patel? Robert Key? Jesse Ryder?, Ul-Haq?, Ranatunga?,

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:35 am

beninho wrote:So looked at this Davis Cup a bit more, and it appears that Federer and Wawrinka did not play for the Swiss, and Djokovic did not play for the Serbs when they lost. So its not really anything special is it?

--In football, the best players still need someone to pass them the ball and save any shots from the opposition, in the Davis Cup, Murray can just do it all himself, with some help from his brother in one game.

I would Also say the Ashes win was better than the Davis Cup win, and I would still pick Hamilton over Murray for his achievement in his chosen sport, in fact Tyson Fury ( not a fan) and degale have moved themselves near the top with their big wins over the weekend.

But its all about what you enjoy, and im really not a tennis fan. But Its opinions!

Eh?? Tennis ain't my sport either but to win what is effectively the 'world cup' of tennis after a 5 year climb away from the brink of oblivion is a worthy achievement. Federer, Wawrinka & Djokovic have all played Davis Cup in the past. Tennis is predominately an individual sport and when you're chasing slams and conserving your body for the big ones there can be scheduling conflicts in preparation time. To be fair to Murray he committed to Davis Cup and that has paid off. It wasn't just about beating Belgium at the weekend either, they had to come through 5 ties. I don't know how many teams entered the Davis Cup but I know it'll be a helluva lot more than the 2 that entered the Ashes.

I can't help thinking Murray STILL isn't British enough for some despite winning Olympic Gold, 2 slams and now a Davis Cup.

Finally there's still a residual snobbery in tennis and a great big dollop of apathy and incompetence in the upper echelons of the LTA. The Murrays (yes all 3 of them) are succeeding in spite of the LTA which is an achievement in itself.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:59 am

Ok, Davis Cup isn't what it used to be, but tennis for sure is a big sport almost all over the world and everybody has a team in Davis Cup. As JAS says you also need to beat several good teams to reach the finals.

Only a handful of nations bother with cricket, bandy, curling, synch swimming and the likes, and is dominated by the same 2 or 3 nations year in year out. Imo it'd be a bit hilarious being voted team of the year when there's hardly more than 5 teams playing the sport.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next