The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances

+5
sportslover
HM Murdock
temporary21
bogbrush
barrystar
9 posters

Go down

Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances Empty Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances

Post by barrystar Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

Quite a lot has happened in the world since this tennis fan fell into a coma, but some things seem always to stay the same....

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/a-roger-federer-fan-woke-up-from-an-11year-coma-and-was-ecstatic-to-find-out-hes-still-number-two-in-the-world--bJ3Oin1cUg?utm_source=indy&utm_medium=top5&utm_campaign=i100
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances Empty Re: Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances

Post by bogbrush Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:20 pm

Love it, a man with his priorities right.

"The 29-year-old had never heard of Novak Djokovic " - that's what they all say.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances Empty Re: Eleven year coma bookended by Federer USO Final appearances

Post by temporary21 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:22 pm

Hes not gonna be quite as happy when he does learn what Novaks been up to

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:32 pm

Slow Day Article wrote:Spanish tennis blog ... reports that in 2004, 18-year-old tennis fan Jesús Aparicio [the apparition of Jesus] ... Jesus' name has apparently been changed at the request of his mother to protect the family's privacy, so there's not really any verification we can do.  But in what is an incredible - if true - story, the ...

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 23 Sep 2015, 4:51 pm

Rejected headlines include:

"Eleven year coma bookended by 1st set and 5th set of Djokovic v Murray"

"Eleven year coma bookended by consecutive Nadal serves"

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:17 pm

Shame that now he is back he won't see Roger win any more slams!

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

"Eleven year coma: Wonders what Goats have to do with tennis all of a sudden"

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 23 Sep 2015, 7:22 pm

Amazing story, and great to know that the guy has regained both speech & memory after so many years. Hard to grasp just what this must mean for his family.

With all those Slam wins by his hero to catch up on, he's gonna be watching a helluva lot of videos .... Shocked

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 Sep 2015, 9:54 am

temporary21 wrote:Hes not gonna be quite as happy when he does learn what Novaks been up to
Really?

The guy thought Federer would have retired; learning he's making consecutive Slam finals and taking sets off the modern top man wouldn't upset him I think.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 2:25 pm

bogbrush wrote:
temporary21 wrote:Hes not gonna be quite as happy when he does learn what Novaks been up to
Really?

The guy thought Federer would have retired; learning he's making consecutive Slam finals and taking sets off the modern top man wouldn't upset him I think.

Too right !

I suspect temp was just itching to introduce another player to the thread in the hope that it might divert attention from the main storyline (or maybe just missed the point of the story completely .....chin )

The fact that there is now a new multi-Slam winner at the Number One spot would hardly have been much of a shock to the guy coming out of his coma ; whereas the fact that Federer is still comfortably ranked Number Two - more than 12 years after first making that spot - clearly was Shocked

HMM brought in other names too - but with no little humour, as usual thumbsup

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:02 pm

Oh dear... somebodys got up on the wrong side of the bed.
Its obviously a nice story, if it is indeed true...

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:21 pm

Yes, it's about a guy who thinks Federer is great and is amazed at his longevity.

It must be made up.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:40 pm

Doctors have advised him not to watch the RG07, W08, AO09 and USO09 finals until he is back to full health.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:42 pm

Nono, as in if his name was changed, they cant verify it, just today a story about a primark lady was found to be totally made up.
If it really is true, then he wouldnt know a thing about Novak Djokovic, OR Nadal. Hence hes got a lot of great great youtube highlights to watch, I wonder what hed think of them

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 3:43 pm

HM Murdock wrote:Doctors have advised him not to watch the RG07, W08, AO09 and USO09 finals until he is back to full health.
Id advise him not to watch Wimby 09 either, he might go back into a coma when he sees Roddicks got 15-40 at 7-7 in the fifth. Ease him in Very Happy

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:39 pm

temporary21 wrote:Oh dear... somebodys got up on the wrong side of the bed.

So it would seem.

But hey, you're not alone. We all do it from time to time (me included).

And I can tell you from experience that you will feel better as the day goes on !

(jokes Cool)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 24 Sep 2015, 4:44 pm

HM Murdock wrote:Doctors have advised him not to watch the RG07, W08, AO09 and USO09 finals until he is back to full health.

haha, nice one.

It sounds made up but hard to be sure. You would think 11 years in a coma and then woke up it would have been reported in the local news anyway. If it is true we'll surely see him at Wimbledon next year. If this story is never heard from again, I'd say made up.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 6:32 pm

Even if the story does indeed prove to be more apocryphal than 100% true, it is, in so many ways, reflective of a wider issue that (for me at least !) has gradually become a growing frustration.

And that frustration is ....the fact that no new & truly exciting talent seems to be making serious headway ;  and despite sundry young players showing 'promise', none of them appear capable of shifting the older guard. There are no Beckers or Borgs to be seen on the Tour.

Although Murray in the past, Federer too, briefly, and of course more recently Nadal, have all periodically dropped out of the top four, they have - for the most part - occupied those spots (in various order of ranking) for around SEVEN years now.

Plus ca change ........plus c'est la meme chose.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Sep 2015, 7:00 pm

What about those people that were wide awake during the dark days of 2008 to 2011 - and would have preferred to have been in a coma during this period?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm

Yeah, imagine going into a coma over the last 7 years and waking up to be told thers been no decent player emerge in all that time?

On second thoughts, it's probably the sport that's in a coma.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Thu 24 Sep 2015, 10:54 pm

you mean except Djokovic of course, and Wawrinka, and delpo has been and sadly gone

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Thu 24 Sep 2015, 11:50 pm

Djokovic emerged in the last 7 years?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Fri 25 Sep 2015, 12:50 am

2008? Remember?

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Fri 25 Sep 2015, 4:57 am

I think best to go coma during 2004-2007; those were the dark days where no challenger emerged except on clay. I think woke up in 2008 and saw the Fedal rivalry and then the three way fight among the top three were a lot more interesting than the boring dominance of one single player.

Well if 2016 onwards continue to be like 2015, I think its time for another coma!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 25 Sep 2015, 8:59 am

Nore Staat wrote:What about those people that were wide awake during the dark days of 2008 to 2011 - and would have preferred to have been in a coma during this period?
Fed won all 4 slams in that period!

As dark periods go, I've seen darker!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:04 am

temporary21 wrote:2008? Remember?
Djokovic was a comfortable #3 by the end of 2007.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:30 am

temporary21 wrote:2008? Remember?
Oh, I was sure I'd heard of him before then or was that another guy who pushed Federer at the USO final in 2007 and had beaten him in Canada just before?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:34 am

HM Murdock wrote:
Nore Staat wrote:What about those people that were wide awake during the dark days of 2008 to 2011 - and would have preferred to have been in a coma during this period?

You're right, in fact from the USO final 2008 to the AO final 2010 (6 Slams) he won four and lost two finals. Then lost the next one in the final. Dismal.

The USO 2009 loss is the overlooked Grand Slam hit - most folk remember him missing out of GS's at RG but the loss to Delpo in hindsight also deprived him of holding all 4.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Fri 25 Sep 2015, 9:48 am

bogbrush wrote:
HM Murdock wrote:

You're right, in fact from the USO final 2008 to the AO final 2010 (6 Slams) he won four and lost two finals. Then lost the next one in the final. Dismal.

The USO 2009 loss is the overlooked Grand Slam hit - most folk remember him missing out of GS's at RG but the loss to Delpo in hindsight also deprived him of holding all 4.
As did losing to Rafa in Australia in 09. That would have given him the full streak from US08 to W09.

If fairness to Nore Staat, that 08-11 period did contain the first really deep troughs and some agonising defeats. But the peaks were very high too.

Without wanting to cause the forum to explode, I think that Fed's 'dark' period compares very well to Murray's feted 'golden' period of 12-13.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Sat 26 Sep 2015, 1:17 am

It also more importantly corresponded to the period when rafa was inconsistent and novak was having confidence issues

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 26 Sep 2015, 11:08 am

I heard that the coma guy is already putting the appropriate asterisks against everyone's slams.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 26 Sep 2015, 12:46 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I heard that the coma guy is already putting the appropriate asterisks against everyone's slams.

He is indeed. But that's no great surprise really.

It just wouldn't make sense for any Slam winner's title to be asterisk-free - unless of course all other contenders were proven to be at the absolute peak of their game & totally unhindered by such troublesome matters as ......

- 'dark periods'     (for which read : not playing well)

- 'inconsistency'     (for which read : not playing well )

- 'confidence issues' (for which read : ......ok, you've got the picture ....)

-

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 28 Sep 2015, 9:11 am

The trouble with Slam wins is that everyone else was obviously not at their peak or they'd have won it.

I'd asterisk the lot of 'em, I would.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down