The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly season transfer rumours III...

+69
Artful_Dodger
Notch
St John The Enforcer
dragon4life
RiscaGame
RuggerRadge2611
ChequeredJersey
MonkeyOwain12
demosthenes
funnyExiledScot
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
exileray
thebandwagonsociety
Mad for Chelsea
Hazel Sapling
propdavid_london
ScarletSpiderman
True Raven
BigTrevsbigmac
DaveM
Student-A1
profitius
LordDowlais
XR
Golden
Ozzy3213
doctor_grey
formerly known as Sam
Welly
Sgt_Pooly
king_carlos
mikey_dragon
beshocked
LondonTiger
Bathman_in_London
Bathite
Heaf
yappysnap
Geordie
Margin_Walker
killer938
No 7&1/2
George Carlin
munkian
SirBurger
WELL-PAST-IT
geoff999rugby
Tiger/Chief
clivemcl
stub
HammerofThunor
HongKongCherry
bluestonevedder
maverickmak
BigGee
nathan
Fluxy
TightHEAD
VinceWLB
RDW
lostinwales
westisbest
TBJ9625
LeinsterFan4life
Seagultaf
BamBam
dragon999
whocares
73 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 20 Empty Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by George Carlin Thu 29 Oct 2015, 10:32 am

First topic message reminder :

Previous seasonal silliness:
https://www.606v2.com/t57129-silly-season-transfer-rumours
https://www.606v2.com/t58562-silly-season-transfer-rumours-continued

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 20 Evil10
The place to confirm rumours, deny them, or viciously start new ones of your own.

Last edited by George Carlin on Sun 08 Nov 2015, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 20 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 29 Feb 2016, 8:07 pm

Have Quins signed ANYONE yet?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Silly season transfer rumours III... - Page 20 Empty Re: Silly season transfer rumours III...

Post by B91212 Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:02 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:The upside for McGuigan is that if Thacker is playing seven he won't have to throw in.
It's not an upside if he does seriously have international aspirations. Well, unless Thacker is to become England's open side at the same time I guess....... Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 29 Feb 2016, 9:37 pm

B91212 wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:The upside for McGuigan is that if Thacker is playing seven he won't have to throw in.
It's not an upside if he does seriously have international aspirations. Well, unless Thacker is to become England's open side at the same time I guess....... Wink

Could be, he's been impressive this season and increasingly influential. Few players cover as much ground and players generally twice his size have his carrying capabilities. He just needs to perfect his poaching skills.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 4:24 am

Really like Thacker at 7 but he's just too small to play Int rugby currently.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 01 Mar 2016, 5:57 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Have Quins signed ANYONE yet?

I'm beginning to think there'll be nothing until we get a new DoR, of course by then I can't see there being many players unsigned.

It's worrying as the last time we made few signings the following season was a write off and CoS publicly admitted it'd been a risky gamble that didn't work. And here we are.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Mar 2016, 7:21 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Really like Thacker at 7 but he's just too small to play Int rugby currently.

Depends on the overall balance. Thacker carries harder than most bigger back rowers and doesn't shirk a tackle but you'd probably need some size at 6 along with either Vunipola or Hughes at 8. People said Back was too small.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 7:26 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Really like Thacker at 7 but he's just too small to play Int rugby currently.

Depends on the overall balance. Thacker carries harder than most bigger back rowers and doesn't shirk a tackle but you'd probably need some size at 6 along with either Vunipola or Hughes at 8. People said Back was too small.

I may be wrong but Back was taller and heavier than Thacker by a fair bit. Players are much bigger these days so the comparison isn't really fair.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Tue 01 Mar 2016, 7:31 am

Pearce to Sharks http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/sale-sharks-sign-leicester-tigers-10969005

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:14 am

Thacker is only 9cm's or so shorter than Brussow, who I would say was quite successful at int level. If Thacker could get close to that sort ilk of poaching ability, he would be a viable option. However as Pooly said you would need balance, in the back five, so I imagine we could suffer at the line out with jumpers if we tried to compensate for his size.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:36 am

Use Thacker to throw in at line outs. No law saying that the hooker has to.

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:39 am

It's not just Thacker's height, it's his frame, he's a really small guy. I'd be very surprised if he's actually over 80kg....his stats suggest 92kg which can't be correct.

He's a great little rugby player but I don't think he'll ever be able to step up to England, basically just because of his size, not his ability.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:41 am

broadlandboy wrote:Pearce to Sharks http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/sale-sharks-sign-leicester-tigers-10969005

nless they are moving Beaumont up a row, isn't he just moving from being a squad player in Leicester to a squad player in Salford?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:52 am

Sgt he has bulked up quite a lot. He has happily mixed it in the AP and Europe this season and done well. Currently the only thing that will stop him reaching international level is that his poaching isn't sharp enough for an open side, he needs more experience. I think size is only an issue for him at the scrum round the park his low centre if gravity, speed and footwork make him a nightmare to bring down cleanly and in defence he us the perfect height for a chop tackle then a bounce back up to compete.

Shame to lose Pearce. Think he'll do well at Sale. Probably be playing as much 6 as 8. Pearce, TJ Ioane, Beaumont is a meaty back row.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:54 am

It's his frame Sam, he's a really small guy. He's bulked up but it's not natural for his size and he still isn't big.

I'm not doubting the guy as a talent, I just think you need to be bigger to play Int rugby.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:57 am

Thacker is a lot morer solid than Back was - his frame is much bigger. however he is shorter and players have become bigger. But there are a lot more ways to skin a cat. The way he fought through the middle of an LI maul to steal the ball was hilarious. (though I am still not sure he did not just go under everyones legs)

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:58 am

Thacker certainly has more muscle than Bsck but Back had a much larger frame, Thacker looks a boy in one of these superhero costumes.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:04 am

Having bumped into Harry a few times now, compared to Neil Back (who I must have bumped into 100s maybe 1,000s of times) he is built like a brick outhouse. Thacker is much broader across the shoulders - and that cannot be done by muscle.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:08 am

Thacker looks a terrific player to me, and better suited to playing 7 than hooker. Very different to the other 7's England have to select from, but could well be worth a look at in the next 18 months if he can work on the pilfering at the breakdown part of his game.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 01 Mar 2016, 10:09 am

I think Thacker looks a cracking prospect for 7. Hopefully they'll work on his breakdown work.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:07 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:It's his frame Sam, he's a really small guy. He's bulked up but it's not natural for his size and he still isn't big.

I'm not doubting the guy as a talent, I just think you need to be bigger to play Int rugby.

Remember in the past when England fixated themselves with player size and bulking players up? That really didn't work did it. If anything we need to up our skill levels in the international team. Looking forward to seeing Slade and George break through and take possession of their jerseys and offer us a more dynamic team. Thacker has a terrific skill set, just needs to complete the move and gain some more experience.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 12:12 pm

Agree to a point but he's absolutley tiny, he won't make it.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 01 Mar 2016, 1:06 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:Thacker looks a terrific player to me, and better suited to playing 7 than hooker.  Very different to the other 7's England have to select from, but could well be worth a look at in the next 18 months if he can work on the pilfering at the breakdown part of his game.

Reminds me a lot of Dave Ward.

He seems a brilliant 7, I'm still stunned coaches see him as a hooker, he looks like a colts player running out with the seniors when he's mixed in with the front rows.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Tue 01 Mar 2016, 7:43 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm not doubting the guy as a talent, I just think you need to be bigger to play Int rugby.

Remember in the past when England fixated themselves with player size and bulking players up? That really didn't work did it. If anything we need to up our skill levels in the international team. Looking forward to seeing Slade and George break through and take possession of their jerseys and offer us a more dynamic team. Thacker has a terrific skill set, just needs to complete the move and gain some more experience.
Although I agree he looks a decent prospect (as a 7) I'm with Sgt on this one in that I just think he will be too small for international rugby. It's all well and good saying pair him with a couple of monsters at 6 and 8 but all it takes is for one of them to get yellow carded and the pack becomes under powered very quickly.

Going back to the original post about McGuigan signing. Is Ghiraldini off at the end of season?

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 01 Mar 2016, 8:16 pm

Back IMO would be considered to small for international 7 certainly at the top 3 nations level.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 01 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm

I see we have signed Glasgow and Scotland prop Mike cusak till the end of the season.

Don't know much about him

What's going on with all our front rowers!!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Tue 01 Mar 2016, 8:56 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:I see we have signed Glasgow and Scotland prop Mike cusak till the end of the season.

Old school prop who doesn't get around the pitch too well, and he can't scrummage much under the new rules as well, got promptly dropped from the Scottish squad after getting capped. The physio will be very busy with him.

You must be desperate for props!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:34 pm

Looks like Glasgow signed an (ex) All Black..... 35 yo hooker Corey Flynn from Toulouse

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 01 Mar 2016, 9:51 pm

B91212 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:I'm not doubting the guy as a talent, I just think you need to be bigger to play Int rugby.

Although I agree he looks a decent prospect (as a 7) I'm with Sgt on this one in that I just think he will be too small for international rugby. It's all well and good saying pair him with a couple of monsters at 6 and 8 but all it takes is for one of them to get yellow carded and the pack becomes under powered very quickly.

Going back to the original post about McGuigan signing. Is Ghiraldini off at the end of season?

Ghiraldini has got a three year deal with Tolouse. He'll be first choice there as well.

We've seen Thacker do the job irrelevant of size this season. It's not something that'll be happening soon so there's time for you to change your minds.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 02 Mar 2016, 4:23 am

The AP is not the same as international rugby......

I don't think anyone is doubting his ability at league level but Int rugby is a big step up and he's hindered before he even starts. He'll never play for England imo.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 02 Mar 2016, 9:22 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:I see we have signed Glasgow and Scotland prop Mike cusak till the end of the season.

Cusack at one point was the next big hope at tighthead instead of Nel. Had 2 years off to a mysterious illness and came back to new scrum rules. Injury prone as anything since and struggled to adapt. Off the bench for 20 minutes he may have enough, but he will struggle to get a top flight contract after this season if he struggles/does not play for Newcastle.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Wed 02 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm

Rory Scholes from Ulster to Edinburgh a done deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35705458

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 02 Mar 2016, 4:59 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Ghiraldini has got a three year deal with Tolouse. He'll be first choice there as well.
Thanks. Couldn't work out why McGuigan would move to begin the season as third choice.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 03 Mar 2016, 10:28 am

We have signed Kenyan back rower Joshua Chisanga- 6'2 and nearly 19 stones

That's one I didn't expect!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:

Cusack at one point was the next big hope at tighthead instead of Nel. Had 2 years off to a mysterious illness and came back to new scrum rules. Injury prone as anything since and struggled to adapt. Off the bench for 20 minutes he may have enough, but he will struggle to get a top flight contract after this season if he struggles/does not play for Newcastle.
Geordie - it's very difficult to know what Big Mike will bring. Neither he nor the Warriors ever went public about what condition Cusack had but it was clear that it was absolutely debilitating. It knocked him out for a full season and he couldn't string 2 games in row together this season. What sort of shape is he in now? Impossible to tell.

What is also true is that 2 years ago he was arguably the most devastating scrummaging tight head in the league. A genuine 20 stone man who offered nothing around the park but who was good for consistently earning 9 points per game in scrum penalties. If used sparingly, he could be a great 'closer'.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 03 Mar 2016, 12:58 pm

Well if we can bring back that scrummaging ability ill be more than happy...we have plenty to cover the work around the park. Hell we've got Flanker Mark Wilson playing lock and he's just won premiership forward of the month for Feb playing there!

But it is only till the end of the season....for the moment.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 03 Mar 2016, 2:53 pm

Just somebody who can hold their own would be nice, it's been a little bit of an issue since Welsh getting injured. Thankfully Vea has really stepped up and has been immense tbh.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 03 Mar 2016, 3:17 pm

Vea was doing that for LW, that's we signed him.

Hopefully next season we'll have him and Welsh AND young Scott all available. That's a good stock of TH's.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 03 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:We have signed Kenyan back rower Joshua Chisanga- 6'2 and nearly 19 stones

That's one I didn't expect!

I've got a close friend from SA who closely follows rugby from developing African rugby nations such as Kenya. He seems to rate Chisanga highly from what he saw of him in the Vodacom cup. He sounds like a big ball carrier who is strong off the base and often made yards from the base behind a retreating scrum.

He was prone to go missing in defence by the sounds of things but perhaps some more experience and more structure at Falcons (plus Deano) can help that. He sounds like a hell of an athlete so he has all the physical attributes to make an impact in defence and attack when it comes to contact/collisions.

It could be a shrewd signing from Deano with Hogg finally fading a bit and Clever now a show pony IMO. Especially given he could be a big ball carrying 8 who doesn't cost much - a rare commodity!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 03 Mar 2016, 6:27 pm

The beeb article said he had sevens experience. Kenya have a decent sevens team so he must be one hell of a mobile unit to play sevens at 19 stone.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 04 Mar 2016, 8:14 am

We have lots of "workhorses" and "grafters" etc.

We have been crying out for a beast of a carrier in the back row (or pack in general) We tried to get the guy for Worcester, but failed his medical, then Kolo'ufai who was riddled with injuries...

Maybe we finally have one. He can work on his game...but even if all he brings is big carries for the minute ill be happy.

I don't like going off Youtube clips but at least this gives us an idea of what he can bring.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8kezLieIuw

Also if you notice...that number 7 is never far away from him...good support play!

Kenya and a few other African nations might be worth keeping an eye on.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Fri 04 Mar 2016, 8:25 am

Racing eyeing up Nakarawa, Glasgow apparently will release him from contract for €150,000 according to Mortimer's Twitter.

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.forum?t=62588

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20