The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

+18
BlueCoverman
beninho
golfermartin
SmithersJones
raycastleunited
LadyPutt
Davie
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
MontysMerkin
pedro
Roller_Coaster
I'm never wrong
McLaren
super_realist
robopz
GPB
kwinigolfer
22 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 13 Empty PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 16 Nov 2016, 3:27 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).That's where we are this week, for the second week running after Mayakoba's beachside beauty - which is no way to describe winner Pat Perez. Quite the return from injury for Perez, long regarded as one of the Tour's premier "ball strikers" - if he was anywhere close as good between the ears as he is with his irons, he'd win five times a year, said Johnny Miller, or words to that effect anyway. Almost a shame he won as his combustible self-destruction act is quite something to behold.
And he's the third Mayakoba winner in a row to break a victory drought following Charley Hoffman and Graeme McDowell.

2).We travel this week to the Golden Isles of Georgia and the two courses that make up the venue for the RSM (formerly McGladrey) Classic. 18 holes each at the Plantation Course and Seaside Course, then 36 weekend holes at Seaside - a Harry Colt design originally, and a beautiful setting which will be graced by equally beautiful weather. These "Isles" are popular destinations for Tour players to live and practice, led by Davis Love and joined by Kuchar, Zach Johnson and several others.

3).A lot has happened in the past ten days. Obviously.
We all know the Ugly (not to say vulgar, racist, misogynistic, isolationist) which evolved into the Bad (very bad, tremendously bad), and was roundly welcomed by Pros from all US Tours and broadcast booths.
But there's been some good as well, in the world of Golf at least.

4).With impeccable timing, the Rolex Series for the European Tour was introduced, with the promise of at least one more tournament (France?) to be added to the seven already announced. Not sure we know all the details yet, and the ramifications for PGA Tour members (including South Africans) have yet to be established, but this can't be anything other than terrific news for the E.T.

5).Don't know whether this is good or what, but the reformatting of the Zurich Classic in New Orleans next April seems to beg more questions than it answers, not least any rationale surrounding owgr points (it seems none will be awarded) and how they're going to fill the field. And at a venue, New Orleans, that often experiences an untimely monsoon season to coincide with the tournament, how are they going to manage 160 golfers playing four-balls on the Friday?

6).Meanwhile, the LPGA seems interested in acquiring the Ladies European Tour and using it as feeder for its own Tour. Not sure how that will go down.

7).More positive news for European Seniors is that its new "Head" man, Dave McLaren, is laying out plans to increase the number of tournaments and raise prize money, hopefully within a couple of years. Don't expect Europe's Seniors to reach the kind of wealth that Bernhard Langer has achieved on the Champions Tour (almost $21M and counting), but anything to achieve stability would be welcomed. Meanwhile, the likes of Barry Lane and Van der Velde are competing here in Champions Tour Q-School (both leading in their respective venues after Round 1), hoping to join the likes of Langer, Montgomerie, Mechanic, Broadhurst, Woosie, Lyle and, when he feels fit to compete, Olazabal.

8).This time last year, Graeme McDowell travelled to the Seaside with a Mayakoba win under his belt and proceeded to finish third. Strange, then, that's he's not in this week's field, especially disappointing after three superb rounds last week. Luke Donald will be playing, trying to emerge from the wreckage of his career - a couple of runner-up finishes last year but nothing to suggest he'll be back at the top anytime soon. But these courses might suit him.

9).It's a sad commentary on the state of Australian Golf that last year's Aussie Open Champ, Matt Jones, is playing the RSM/McGladrey rather than defending his title. Admittedly he needs all the starts he can get after mysteriously taking last season just easy enough that he narrowly lost his card, but really . . . . . . . .

10).No PGA Tour action next week, even though Thanksgiving has been postponed in most US homes for four years. There IS a World Cup in Australia, plus Champions Tour and web.com Q-Schools in the next three weeks, but the Ballwasher is pretty clogged up with fallen leaves and season-ending debris, so only sporadic musings until January. Merry Christmas!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 13 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Wed 21 Dec 2016, 2:49 pm

You can switch them ON or OFF, but not both.

By clicking them.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 13 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2016, 3:13 pm

The English are a weird bunch when it comes to grammar and spelling. You see people who display staggering levels of ignorance about science and maths worrying about other people's English.

Misuse fewer and less and someone will ridicule you but no one bothers to correct errors like mixing up rna and dna.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 21 Dec 2016, 3:35 pm

GPB wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:
GPB - How can you not see the errors? There are more than one!

No, I don't see any.  Nor does any word in the post ping the google chrome spell check.  (The post that SmitherJones quoted above)

And just what difference does it make.  I try to focus on the content of the post rather being a zealous Middle School English teacher.

Google chrome spell check has a lot to learn... it would be naive to rely on it. Smithers demonstrated its inadequacies.

I try not to get too pedantic on grammar or spelling (I would have a never ending job correcting Mac's posts). My point was if you decide to post something inflammatory you better get your spelling right or you create an easy target.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 Dec 2016, 3:39 pm

Still...No one has identified the misspellings in the post.

Must be akin to the Loch Ness Monster! Oft seen, never proven.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 21 Dec 2016, 3:47 pm

raycastleunited wrote:I try not to get too pedantic on grammar or spelling (I would have a never ending job correcting Mac's posts). My point was if you decide to post something inflammatory you better get your spelling right or you create an easy target.
Seems to me folks most often "get too pedantic on grammar or spelling" when they can't fashion a reasonable and/or cognizant argument to dispute the post itself.

So while I thank you for your grammar and spelling lesson (whatever it was),  I guess I'll just have to wait for someone else to make the convincing case of how mixing entirely non-related partisan political tripe within a golf post promotes meaningful discussion... waiting... waiting....

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Dec 2016, 5:15 pm

McLaren wrote:The English are a weird bunch when it comes to grammar and spelling. You see people who display staggering levels of ignorance about science and maths worrying about other people's English.

Misuse fewer and less and someone will ridicule you but no one bothers to correct errors like mixing up rna and dna.  

Mac,
I sleep with a "medical scientist" every night, she deals with DNA every week, and I've never heard of RNA. But I'd be smart enough to ask about the distinction.

Your drumbeat of "English" characterizations is getting pretty monotonous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:13 pm

GPB wrote:
Must be akin to the Loch Ness Monster!  Oft seen, never proven.
Thought you didn't want to bring up religion GPB? Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:42 pm

pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:

Hope you did your Yoga exercises before you made that stretch.

I am just waiting for someone to show me the spelling errors in that Robopz's post that SmithersJones quoted.

Shouldn't be that difficult.  If it is really there.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:55 pm

robopz wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:I try not to get too pedantic on grammar or spelling (I would have a never ending job correcting Mac's posts). My point was if you decide to post something inflammatory you better get your spelling right or you create an easy target.
Seems to me folks most often "get too pedantic on grammar or spelling" when they can't fashion a reasonable and/or cognizant argument to dispute the post itself.

So while I thank you for your grammar and spelling lesson (whatever it was),  I guess I'll just have to wait for someone else to make the convincing case of how mixing entirely non-related partisan political tripe within a golf post promotes meaningful discussion... waiting... waiting....

Well that was my point.

GPB: here's a clue, I can see two in the second paragraph.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 21 Dec 2016, 7:58 pm

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:
GPB wrote:

Hope you did your Yoga exercises before you made that stretch.

I am just waiting for someone to show me the spelling errors in that Robopz's post that SmithersJones quoted.

Come on Pedro, Jediism and Loch Ness Monster have been officially discounted as religions (in the UK, although Scientology is apparently ok). Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:18 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:I sleep with a "medical scientist" every night, she deals with DNA every week, and I've never heard of RNA. But I'd be smart enough to ask about the distinction.

Your drumbeat of "English" characterizations is getting pretty monotonous.

Sorry Kwini, should have said British. Do I bash the British a lot? If so you have kept better track of it than me. Since #Brexit I have felt pretty down on the Uk and its quirks.

As for rna there are actually a million kinds; RNAi, mRNA, tRNA, rRNA, snRNA, shRNA and so on....

Ask your medical scientist about it, I am sure it will spice up bedtime. Wink
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:21 pm

Been on wiki again Mac?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:22 pm

Think kwini is more concerned about NRA tho...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:34 pm

Still don't see the need to be so cryptic. Why don't you just point them out?

Are you talking about "whiny". That's a perfectly acceptable spelling "in my neck of the woods" and I am sure it is in the Robo's "neck of the woods".

"Lefty's" Ok, maybe a misspelling but more like an improper use of possessive apostrophe. But IMO, its nitpicky [sic] and pedantic to focus on probable typos

Try reading for content rather the minutiae details.

Speaking as the father of a zealous Middle School English teacher in your old neck of the woods, GPB.

kwinigolfer wrote:Speaking as the father of a zealous Middle School English teacher in your old neck of the woods, GPB.

What would your offspring think of the sentence structure of the quoted sentence? laughing

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:42 pm

GPB,
My thread.
Called "Notes".
Not intended to be complete sentences, just colloquial musings.

pedro,
The amount the NRA spend on political campaigns to promote access to every imaginable sort of firearm would be enough to revolutionize the economy of a mid-size British town. Wouldn't it be nice if they spent that money on peace instead of violence?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:44 pm

GPB wrote:

I don't usually get involved in spelling or grammar wars, UNLESS it is particularly comedic (I remember commenting once when someone said "bare with me" instead of "bear with me" when the subject was something to do with nudity - and it wasn't an intentional pun as far as I could tell)

However, I'm going to be a party pooper and point out exactly what Smithers seems not to want to identify directly

Robopz wrote:
I got a suggestion... how about we STFU about politics and focus on golf... or take the politics to the "anything goes" thread... all the better so you whiny cry-baby lefty's can quit making complete fools of yourselves in the golf topics... DEAL?

I think this was the post in question. Two obvious errors are "I got a suggestion" and "lefty's"

The first should be "I've got a suggestion" - the second is clearly a superfluous apostrophe. Some may say the elipses should have had a space either side too but that's debatable

Time to move on I think, I'm just surprised that GPB couldn't spot them after having attention drawn to it numerous times

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:49 pm

Davie

Would you trade your above average grammar skills for a golf swing that didn't make you a complete hacker? Hug
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:57 pm

"...I got a suggestion..."

Which of those four words is misspelled?

and IMO, the grammar is just as acceptable (or even more acceptable) as "I've got a suggestion".

But neither sentence is as good as "I have a suggestion"

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:00 pm

GPB wrote:"...I got a suggestion..."

and IMO, the grammar is just as acceptable (or even more acceptable) as "I've got a suggestion".  

"I got a suggestion" is poor grammar, just as "can you get me...." is.

Neither is as awful as "my bad" though. I simply hate that expression.

Many English people though have a similar grammar issue with using the phrase "you was"

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 21 Dec 2016, 9:01 pm

I had had a drink, and it was petty of me to pick up on the incorrect plural.

Like Roller I can comfortably gloss over most of the political stuff but when insults are thrown (sarcasm wasn't evident, as it so rarely is in this type of format) and I've had a drink I'll take the bait. I don't think I'm alone in that.

As for the whole grammar alt-right thing, as a general measure of overall intelligence it's as good as there is on t'internet. On here however it's unnecessary as everyone is pretty much capable of expressing themselves well enough, so sorry for falling into lazy habits.

But I'm now going to have to go back and look for the second error Ray's spotted!

edit: Thank's Davie, saved me the bother, though I'd consider that colloquially correct for Robopz.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 Dec 2016, 12:50 am

Imagine if Ali G posted on here... Shocked

(Instead we have to bare/bear with AlciG..)

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 22 Dec 2016, 3:01 pm

GPB wrote:"...I got a suggestion..."

Can't believe I'm taking the bait, but here goes....

Ask yourself these questions:
Where is your verb?
What tense is it?
What tense did you intend?
What is the meaning of the verb and does it reflect the action you were trying express?

Incidentally, I have / I have got / I've got a suggestion would have all been equally correct in your sentence.

Probably the smugest (is that a word?) post I've ever written. I feel sick  vomit  Sorry  Sorry

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 22 Dec 2016, 3:04 pm

SmithersJones wrote:

edit: Thank's Davie

Thank's? laughing That is subtle and witty

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 22 Dec 2016, 3:12 pm

I seen an English teacher in the pub.

He punched me.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 22 Dec 2016, 4:54 pm

Let's substitute the object of the sentence. Instead of "suggestion", put "car" as the object.

I have a car.
I have got a car.
I've got a car.

I like option #1

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 22 Dec 2016, 5:49 pm

I get more grammar classes on here than I ever did in school. Good stuff though.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 22 Dec 2016, 7:43 pm

On the board's grammar ...

1 - You all are tripping over midgets.

2 - "I can't believe I failed. After all, English are my favorite subject." - Bart Simpson

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:22 pm

GPB wrote:Let's substitute the object of the sentence.  Instead of  "suggestion", put  "car" as the object.

I have a car.
I have got a car.
I've got a car.
Who cares, I take the bus.

I like option #1
I added a 4th option so mac can relate

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:55 pm

GPB wrote:Let's substitute the object of the sentence.  Instead of  "suggestion", put  "car" as the object.

I have a car.
I have got a car.
I've got a car.

I like option #1

But it was none of those. To use your analogy it was "I got a car" which implies you were given or purchased a car

"I got a suggestion" implies someone suggested something to you - not that you have a suggestion to offer someone else

As I said when I originally gave my explanation, I don't really care - just move on. The horse has been well and truly flogged

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Dec 2016, 1:08 am

No word yet as to whether Woods will play San Diego, but Mickelson, recuperating from a second hernia surgery, has committed.
Good news on two counts.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 23 Dec 2016, 2:12 am

For those of you who get the Golf Channel, Golf Channel is rebroadcasting the 2016 Ryder Cup tomorrow.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 23 Dec 2016, 2:40 am

My official review of the "Grammar Lesson 101" thread.

Oh for &h*t sakes.... !!!

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 23 Dec 2016, 8:30 am

I gotten a car?
I gotted a car?
I garotted a car?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 23 Dec 2016, 8:33 am

kwinigolfer wrote:No word yet as to whether Woods will play San Diego, but Mickelson, recuperating from a second hernia surgery, has committed.
Good news on two counts.

Shouldn't this type of golf based discussion be moved to the "anything goes" thread? I'm sick and tired of constantly hearing about golf when I'm logging on to see arguments about grammar/spelling/religion/Celtic nations/who won the war etc.

(joke - just in case anyone thought otherwise)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Dec 2016, 8:43 am

Tiger obviously not thinking about the mundanity of schedules.  He is getting in the christmas spirit.

PGA Tour: Beside the Seaside: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 13 C0TyLXZUcAAE9if

https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/812040265208721409

PS

Merriam Webster wrote:
Definition of mack daddy

1 slang :  a conspicuously successful pimp

2 slang :  a slick womanizer

3 slang :  one that is the best

Which meaning is Tiger using?

Last edited by McLaren on Fri 23 Dec 2016, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Dec 2016, 3:19 pm

So what's the story with Trump and Tiger supposedly playing a round today? Any truth to this and what is Tiger thinking if so?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 23 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm

"Don't block it right"
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 23 Dec 2016, 3:31 pm

"This guy will lower my taxes"

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Fri 23 Dec 2016, 3:45 pm

Do you really think Tiger plays taxes? Probably manages the same as Trump i.e sweet fanny adams.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Dec 2016, 4:55 pm

Can't believe the Tiger Mac daddy post of mine has a negative rating. Shocked
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 23 Dec 2016, 4:56 pm

At least Trump will be used to the topless bloke look. With being putins best bud and all.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:13 pm

Supposedly Trump is hcp 3 so he'll stand a real chance the way Tiger is playing..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 23 Dec 2016, 10:04 pm

If Trump is hcp 3 then so am I

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 24 Dec 2016, 8:42 am

pedro wrote:Supposedly Trump is hcp 3 so he'll stand a real chance the way Tiger is playing..

Having seen his swing I think his handicap claim is along the lines of a Kim Jon Il when it comes to golfing prowess, mind you, an American 3 is more like a 5-6 here, so perhaps, but even that is unlikely for a fat old man.

I know an old man at St.Andrews who is about the same age, plays off two, but he's been playing his whole life, has won the Club Championship in about 5 decades and lives and breathes the game. Can't believe a part timer like Trump would be anywhere near that level.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:43 am

This one's for mac daddy mac

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/woods-joins-trump-first-round-becoming-president-elect

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:55 am

You can look up Trumps hcp here: 2.8 my dear

http://www.fsga.org/sections/Handicaps/Handicap-Look-Up/452

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 24 Dec 2016, 10:41 am

pedro wrote:You can look up Trumps hcp here: 2.8 my dear

http://www.fsga.org/sections/Handicaps/Handicap-Look-Up/452

Doesn't mean it's genuine.

They've been saying in the media it's 2.8 for years, which could mean it's an ancient handicap which has lapsed. I can't really see Trump turning up regularly for a Saturday medal to keep a realistic handicap, can you?

Sandy Lyle still has the status of a pro golfer, but he can't play like one, so having an ancient handicap of 2.8, doesn't mean you are one in reality.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 24 Dec 2016, 11:22 am

Well you can see his 20 recent scores. So either he's not that bad or he's cheating.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 24 Dec 2016, 12:15 pm

And just how "recent" are they?

There's also the option in America to hand in scores playing in bounce games, you can also hand in 9 holes and come back and do the rest later.

It's much easier to have a lower handicap in America and make it appear that you are better than you are. 9/10 a UK 3 will annihilate an American 3.

*edit. Having looked at his scores, they don't match his claimed ability by and large, 3 handicappers don't shoot in the 80's more often than they shoot in the 70's, also there is something very suspicious, as many times 2 scores have been put in and one day, 3 scores were. Not very likely for a man of 70.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 24 Dec 2016, 2:13 pm

He lies about everything else, why should a golf handicap be any different?
Tiger had better've let him win otherwise he'll never be invited back.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next