The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

+23
TightHEAD
geoff999rugby
St John The Enforcer
glamorganalun
XR
Recwatcher16
bedfordwelsh
prop_lyd
Kingshu
BigGee
carpet baboon
Steffan
True Raven
Cardiff Dave
international198
demosthenes
wayne
Hero
PhilBB
LordDowlais
GavinDragon
munkian
RiscaGame
27 posters

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 10 Empty Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 12 Jan 2017 - 14:18

First topic message reminder :

I understand that some players haven't had a break for a while, but still, either it's a must-win game (with a bonus point) or it isn't.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Guest Fri 24 Mar 2017 - 19:00

Munchkin wrote:
Griff wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Griff wrote:Reading a lot of comments on other sites (e.g. South Wales Argus) a lot of fans are convinced that all the WRU want is to pick up Rodney Parade at a discount price and then sell it on to developers for a handsome profit in a few years once an agree lease period ends.  This demonstrates quite well the level of distrust in the union.  Pretty much no-one on the SW Argus comments page thinks the WRU is doing this to 'save' rugby in Gwent.  They pretty much ALL think there is an ulterior motive.  Can so many people be wrong?

I've been following the online debate and find mixed opinions. Probably a different article, but reading the SWA comments here > Mixed opinions there appears to be a fairly even split. There does appear to be shareholders voting against, some for, but it's anyone's guess as to how the shareholders will vote.

The masses can be wrong, as history confirms, but I think it's the lack of detail on any deal that's causing most angst. Conspiracy theories are usually invented in a void of facts, or facts understood within context, and that's what is happening with those imagining the WRU has devious intent. I also think many of these same people simply don't like Unions, and especially the thought of Union owned teams, and so will be hostile to any WRU take-over.

From what I have gleaned so far there is a simple choice; Vote to save the ground, the Dragons and the NRFC, or vote to end it all. Some of those commenting actually want to vote against saving their own club. That's insane.

I've read a few comments about selling RP and taking the money and housing Newport RFC somewhere else. However, they won't be able to build a new ground for the money they would generate from the sale of RP, surely? Secondly, there's nowhere else in Newport that would be suitable to rent. Hence why Newport County football are at RP too. There's simply no other suitable stadia in Newport (talking just about Newport RFC now, and not Dragons and wider Gwent). Without a suitable ground Newport RFC would probably be kicked out of the Welsh Premiership as any Newport ground they might rent wouldn't meet the minimum stadium requirements. Some teams have been prevented from promotion to the prem in the last few seasons for this very reason. So a no vote from the shareholders might keep Newport RFC alive in the short term but might limit their options and league standing going forward, IMO.

I have read similar comment's suggesting that NRFC sell the ground and build elsewhere, but I think it's unrealistic unless someone was willing to pay a huge amount for the 9 acres of land (or so I've read), that will cover all debts (around £5m), the purchase of land and cost of building a stadium. I doubt it would happen, although it would be good to know the market value of the land. Hopefully that will be revealed at some point. Added to that, as you say, is finding suitable land, even if they did have the money.

Newport County is a tricky one. My thinking is that, if WRU do take over Rodney, Newport County will be without a home. As things stand, Newport County is in danger of being dropped because of the state of the pitch, the PRO12 aren't happy about the poor pitch either, so that has to change, and the WRU want to replace the pitch with a 4G. Apparently Newport County wouldn't be allowed to play on a 4G pitch. So it's not looking good for them, but hopefully a solution is found when they talk to the WRU.

No, Newport County (or any football club) are not allowed to play on a fully plastic pitch like Glasgow and Cardiff Blues rugby. But they can play on a 4g pitch like many football and rugby clubs use.

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread - Page 10 Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons 2016/17 thread

Post by Guest Fri 24 Mar 2017 - 20:25

Ah, ok. The Wales Online article I read did say that they weren't allowed to play on the 4G, but probably wrong if others can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Mar 2017 - 20:40

Sorry, I was a bit abrupt then! Replied too quickly. Yes, the semi synthetic 4g pitches are fine for football. Ospreys and Swansea City have one, Cardiff City have one and Blues played there for a while; the Aviva in Ireland I believe has one, the MS in Wales now has one (remember the old grass problems!). It's like a weave of real and synthetic fibres. It's those Glasgow, Blues and Saracens full on rubber pellet pitches that football won't allow. Not sure why.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Mar 2017 - 21:57

Griff wrote:Sorry, I was a bit abrupt then! Replied too quickly. Yes, the semi synthetic 4g pitches are fine for football. Ospreys and Swansea City have one, Cardiff City have one and Blues played there for a while; the Aviva in Ireland I believe has one, the MS in Wales now has one (remember the old grass problems!). It's like a weave of real and synthetic fibres. It's those Glasgow, Blues and Saracens full on rubber pellet pitches that football won't allow. Not sure why.

No worries. I didn't take it as abrupt, just factual Smile A 4G pitch at Rodney would be great. Watching the game tonight and the pitch is in a really bad way, although the Dragons coped with it ok, but then they are used to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 14:21

An obvious common theme is apparent with regards to the up and coming vote. Most disconcerting.
Q & A this evening. More Qs than As though, I imagine. We'll see.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 14:36

I'm worried that the future of professional rugby in Gwent is being voted for by bitter old rugby fans remembering the 'good old days'

Stinks of Brexit to me.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 15:06

And the theme continues.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 15:11

Cardiff Dave wrote:And the theme continues.

People in Dragons thread don't want Dragons to disappear 'shocker'
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 15:19

munkian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:And the theme continues.

People in Dragons thread don't want Dragons to disappear 'shocker'

Laugh Good point!

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 16:28

munkian wrote:I'm worried that the future of professional rugby in Gwent is being voted for by bitter old rugby fans remembering the 'good old days'

Stinks of Brexit to me.

Sorry for the intrusion, but that is spot on, you want to hear the garbage I'm still getting for the demise of the Celtic Warriors on a regular basis, from people who only on a couple of occasions supported them in the flesh, including Family who played on a regular basis. I just walk away now and don't try to get them to support the Ospreys.

Good Luck DRAGONS FANS for tonight, and the future.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 17:49

munkian wrote:I'm worried that the future of professional rugby in Gwent is being voted for by bitter old rugby fans remembering the 'good old days'

Stinks of Brexit to me.

Not really, as bill for the future of professional rugby in Gwent is addressed to only one party in the region. In the sense that old crooks like Hazell gonna crook, I take your point, but it would have to be more like 'let's tell ERC to shove their TV money up their toblerone-munching backsides' to qualify as a Drexit.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 17:51

wayne wrote:

Stinks of Brexit to me.

Sorry for the intrusion, but that is spot on, you want to hear the garbage I'm still getting for the demise of the Celtic Warriors on a regular basis, from people who only on a couple of occasions supported them in the flesh, including Family who played on a regular basis. I just walk away now and don't try to get them to support the Ospreys.

Good Luck DRAGONS FANS for tonight, and the future.  

If only it was more like in Ospreylialaland, where more than one party was being asked to carry all the risk to make the thing fly...oh wait, hang on
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 27 Mar 2017 - 23:56

All the indications seem to point to the meeting being a disaster. Apparently NRFC want to bury their own club.

Dragons Chief allegedly doesn't know the value of the ground. If that's true, he's a numpty. If it's true he said that, I think he does know, and is treating others as numpties.

If the shareholders vote to cut off their noses, what other grounds are available for Dragons?

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 5:47

Was it the shareholders meeting last night? I thought it was just a Q&A with supporters etc.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 8:29

Munchkin wrote:All the indications seem to point to the meeting being a disaster. Apparently NRFC want to bury their own club.

Dragons Chief allegedly doesn't know the value of the ground. If that's true, he's a numpty. If it's true he said that, I think he does know, and is treating others as numpties.

If the shareholders vote to cut off their noses, what other grounds are available for Dragons?

There aren't and theres no money to renovate any - if the shareholders vote no then the Dragons are gone and more than likely Newport RFC too.

bedfordwelsh wrote:Was it the shareholders meeting last night? I thought it was just a Q&A with supporters etc.

A little confusion on this one but it was just the Friends of Newport Rugby & Others Q&A - very little A's though.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 8:45

Munchkin wrote:All the indications seem to point to the meeting being a disaster. Apparently NRFC want to bury their own club.

You can't highlight that Pinky is a liar/ incompetent and conclude this is about NRFC supporters wanting to 'bury their own club'. The deal stinks, and there's such a thing as dying with your boots on.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 11:08

Stone Motif wrote:

You can't highlight that Pinky is a liar/ incompetent and conclude this is about NRFC supporters wanting to 'bury their own club'. The deal stinks, and there's such a thing as dying with your boots on.

You can't really say it stinks as no one knows what the deal actually is yet.

The complete lack of information is causing massive paranoia and dividing all sides even further mad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 11:13

Stone Motif wrote:

I can, and I did.

I get what you're saying, but the hard truth is they will bury their own club if the shareholders vote against. That's the simple truth of it.

'Dying with your boots on' is fine if you have to die, but 'live to fight another day' makes good sense if you still have something to fight for, and they would. There's a difference between dying with your boots and raising the white flag. If they give in now then that's not much of a fight.

You don't know if the deal stinks until you know the details. The shareholders are to receive information packs before the vote, apparently, and I would think the shareholders should press now to ensure the market value of the ground is included in those details.

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 11:34

thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 12:25

Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

I can, and I did.

I get what you're saying, but the hard truth is they will bury their own club if the shareholders vote against. That's the simple truth of it.

'Dying with your boots on' is fine if you have to die, but 'live to fight another day' makes good sense if you still have something to fight for, and they would. There's a difference between dying with your boots and raising the white flag. If they give in now then that's not much of a fight.

You don't know if the deal stinks until you know the details. The shareholders are to receive information packs before the vote, apparently, and I would think the shareholders should press now to ensure the market value of the ground is included in those details.

It stinks because the CEO of NRFC who is in a clear conflict of interest does not know or will not say how much the ground is worth.

It stinks because he has been clear he has not considered safeguarding the future of the owners if the asset either at the ground or at an alternative site.

It stinks because they are on record saying negotiations with private investors broke down when the land (inevitably) came into the equation , but they are willing to dispose of it to the WRU with no guarantee for either rugby team playing there.

It stinks because no one has bothered to speak to the lease holder who happens to hold primacy of tenure.

Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Recwatcher16 Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 13:20

As an interested bystander, assuming this shareholder vote goes the way that the WRU desires. What does this new ownership mean for Dragons?

Given the limitations on WRU funding and the potential for the WRU to be seriously conflicted when considering dual contracts, does this mean the Dragons would be consigned in perpetuity to the bottom half of the closed shop league ?

Or, would the WRU exert influence on both senior and junior players to move to the Gwent region, invest in a SH coach and subsequent performances and results improve - clearly the preferred consequence but would that be the reality?

Recwatcher16

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 13:59

Recwatcher16 wrote:As an interested bystander, assuming this shareholder vote goes the way that the WRU desires. What does this new ownership mean for Dragons?

Given the limitations on WRU funding and the potential for the WRU to be seriously conflicted when considering dual contracts, does this mean the Dragons would be consigned in perpetuity to the bottom half of the closed shop league ?

Or, would the WRU exert influence on both senior and junior players to move to the Gwent region, invest in a SH coach and subsequent performances and results improve  - clearly the preferred consequence but would that be the reality?

WRU have promised to do up the pitch and stadium and transfer all staff across. I would hope that they would be much more demanding for performances from our coaching team as their end game would be for us to eventually picked up by a private investor again.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 17:45

Recwatcher16 wrote:As an interested bystander,

Don't get too interested. You'll go blind.
This is Welsh reeejunal rugby; where BS talks and money walks.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 17:55

bedfordwelsh wrote:Was it the shareholders meeting last night?  I thought it was just a Q&A with supporters etc.

Only Qs, no As.
Incredible.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 18:15

Stone Motif wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

I can, and I did.

It stinks because the CEO of NRFC who is in a clear conflict of interest does not know or will not say how much the ground is worth.

It stinks because he has been clear he has not considered safeguarding the future of the owners if the asset either at the ground or at an alternative site.

It stinks because they are on record saying negotiations with private investors broke down when the land (inevitably) came into the equation , but they are willing to dispose of it to the WRU with no guarantee for either rugby team playing there.

It stinks because no one has bothered to speak to the lease holder who happens to hold primacy of tenure.

Ok, I had read that it was the Dragons CEO who said he didn't know the value of the ground, or maybe I read it wrong. I agree it doesn't look good, but it is something that can be clarified before the shareholders meeting.

What is the conflict of interest?

Not safeguarding the future of the present owners? The future is far from safe anyway, and at least there will be some security if the WRU take over. At least NRFU will still exist/still have a home.

My guess on why the land became a deal-breaker, previously, is because the future of Rodney as a rugby ground was much less secure with those private investors. I obviously don't know though.

Who are the lease holders?

I'm asking a lot of questions, I know. Just trying to figure out what's happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 18:58

Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

I can, and I did.

Ok, I had read that it was the Dragons CEO who said he didn't know the value of the ground, or maybe I read it wrong. I agree it doesn't look good, but it is something that can be clarified before the shareholders meeting.

Not safeguarding the future of the present owners? The future is far from safe anyway, and at least there will be some security if the WRU take over. At least NRFU will still exist/still have a home.

My guess on why the land became a deal-breaker, previously, is because the future of Rodney as a rugby ground was much less secure with those private investors. I obviously don't know though.

I'm asking a lot of questions, I know. Just trying to figure out what's happening.

Good man.
It was the Drags CEO btw. Confusing isn't it?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 19:25

Very Erm

I'm reading conflicting accounts of what's going on, caused by Dragons/NRFU reluctance to provide details. I guess things will be blurred until the information packs are released to shareholders, or possibly until after the vote if those information packs lack detail.

From the little I do know, the option seems to be accept the WRU deal, or go bust. Sometimes turkeys do vote for Christmas, so who knows what's going to happen at the vote.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 19:39

Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

I can, and I did.

Pinkie is CEO of NRFC and the Dragons.

There are means of ensuring that if the WRU do decide the best use of the acreage is to build Martin Hazell Terrace then RFC get a cut of the profit - enough say to build a new ground elsewhere. He clearly hasn't even broached this.

Nobody is going to invest without the security of the asset. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise, which is why Lord Dowlais thought it could be done. What were the terms the private individuals wanted? They'd have struggled to offer less security to the rugby teams had the WRU (I.e. none).

The lease holders are Newport County.

What us happening is the same as has happened for the last fourteen years - one club out of 73 being asked to sacrifice everything for the other 72.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 19:47

Oh and it stinks that apparently Rodney Parade Limited wanted to re-brand the Dragons as a more Newportonian entity but apparently the Union blocked it. So just how much say have our saviours had in the running of the Dragons, whose poor performance is at the root of the ground question?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 20:02

Thanks, Stone.

It makes sense now, as does the conflict of interest. It's incredible that Pinkie get's to represent the interests of the Dragons and NRFC. I can understand why the shareholders might not trust the integrity of the proposed take-over.  Maybe an independent, such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, should be acting as consultant to the shareholders?

Selling off a portion of the land would raise revenue, but then debts have to be paid. Even if the debts are written off, the cost of relocating/purchase of land/stadium construction may be cost prohibitive? It all depends on the market value of the land, and whether any new land can be purchased at a much lower rate.

I thought the leaseholders were Newport County. The problem they have is that any terms of lease will most likely terminate with new ownership.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 28 Mar 2017 - 20:59

Munchkin wrote:Thanks, Stone.

It makes sense now, as does the conflict of interest. It's incredible that Pinkie get's to represent the interests of the Dragons and NRFC. I can understand why the shareholders might not trust the integrity of the proposed take-over.  Maybe an independent, such as PricewaterhouseCoopers, should be acting as consultant to the shareholders?

Selling off a portion of the land would raise revenue, but then debts have to be paid. Even if the debts are written off, the cost of relocating/purchase of land/stadium construction may be cost prohibitive? It all depends on the market value of the land, and whether any new land can be purchased at a much lower rate.

I thought the leaseholders were Newport County. The problem they have is that any terms of lease will most likely terminate with new ownership.

No problem. And you're right, the shareholders should have their own advice but doubt FoNR have the funds or the know how to source this in time for May .

There's a real risk here that the WRU will just play this out til 2020 and disband the Dragons and cash in on all the land. By that point Hazell and Brown will be ling gone and the debts with them. There would be sufficient value in the land to allow say £1m to be ring fenced for a new semi pro level stadium in Newport. Pretty much the whole of the old docklands in Newport is now covered in housing so the value would be there, especially with a consent on it. Why has this not been discussed? Why are the board negotiating on the transfer of an asset they are ignorant of the value of?

County's lease is til 2023 and would have to be bought out by the WRU were they to terminate it. There's no way it would go in the event of a sale they'd have to be bought out unless the deal asks for vacant possession. Which now I come to mention it would be another good question for Pinkie.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 0:14

There's a lot of questions to be answered, and it's difficult to understand how those representing Dragons/NRFU have been so incompetent. Here's a little snippet from Davies after last nights meeting:

"But also furnishing everyone with more information and more assurance as to how this can play out positively.

"As difficult as this whole situation is, I think it's incumbent upon me now to make sure that I fulfil that role and make it clear to everyone what point we're at, why we've got here and what happens if the proposal isn't supported and I must have revisited that three or four times last night."

This was after the meeting! Davies should have made sure those at the meeting were furnished with all relevant facts.

More than £1m would be needed for even a semi-pro stadium. The more I think about it, the less I believe it's doable. The very best, as far as securing a future is concerned, is for the WRU to gift a parcel of land on the existing site to the NRFU, while also allowing the NRFU full use of the existing stadium. The NRFU, as a completely separate entity, will then have 3 years to raise funds to build clubhouse and stadium, and on land they themselves own.

I'm not sure about County's lease. I do think it all depends on the terms of that lease. All the rhetoric aimed at County so far, leads to believe that the WRU really don't view them as a legal threat in any way. I also believe the WRU and current Dragons/NRFU CEO want the County out - no more football.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 7:58

Munchkin wrote:There's a lot of questions to be answered, and it's difficult to understand how those representing Dragons/NRFU have been so incompetent. Here's a little snippet from Davies after last nights meeting:

"But also furnishing everyone with more information and more assurance as to how this can play out positively.

"As difficult as this whole situation is, I think it's incumbent upon me now to make sure that I fulfil that role and make it clear to everyone what point we're at, why we've got here and what happens if the proposal isn't supported and I must have revisited that three or four times last night."

This was after the meeting! Davies should have made sure those at the meeting were furnished with all relevant facts.

More than £1m would be needed for even a semi-pro stadium. The more I think about it, the less I believe it's doable. The very best, as far as securing a future is concerned, is for the WRU to gift a parcel of land on the existing site to the NRFU, while also allowing the NRFU full use of the existing stadium. The NRFU, as a completely separate entity, will then have 3 years to raise funds to build clubhouse and stadium, and on land they themselves own.

I'm not sure about County's lease. I do think it all depends on the terms of that lease. All the rhetoric aimed at County so far, leads to believe that the WRU really don't view them as a legal threat in any way. I also believe the WRU and current Dragons/NRFU CEO want the County out - no more football.

Incompetent staff on the playing side, incompetent staff on the admin side. That's what 14 years of the Dragons amounts to.

There are sites that could easily be improved for the hundreds of supporters that would be left to Newport in the event of a WRU stitch up for around £1m. The athletics stadium for one. I can't see the land being parcelled up as there is no way the land around can support the parking etc you'd need for a resi scheme on the site.

I totally agree that the WRU want County out either way. Have to check the title but believe the lease is solid for a few years, think the rent diminishes if they're relegated as looks likely so that mitigates the cost of turfing them out to some degree. Unless of course vacant possession is a condition of the WRU buy out .
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 9:56

9 acres is plenty of space for modern housing and resident parking.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 13:00

munkian wrote:9 acres is plenty of space for modern housing and resident parking.

Depends on how many houses you need to build to make a profit. In Newport, quite a few.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 29 Mar 2017 - 20:08

Stone Motif wrote:
Munchkin wrote:There's a lot of questions to be answered, and it's difficult to understand how those representing Dragons/NRFU have been so incompetent. Here's a little snippet from Davies after last nights meeting:

Incompetent staff on the playing side, incompetent staff on the admin side. That's what 14 years of the Dragons amounts to.

There are sites that could easily be improved for the hundreds of supporters that would be left to Newport in the event of a WRU stitch up for around £1m. The athletics stadium for one. I can't see the land being parcelled up as there is no way the land around can support the parking etc you'd need for a resi scheme on the site.

I totally agree that the WRU want County out either way. Have to check the title but believe the lease is solid for a few years, think the rent diminishes if they're relegated as looks likely so that mitigates the cost of turfing them out to some degree. Unless of course vacant possession is a condition of the WRU buy out .

I wasn't sure what land was available. I had heard it was a 13 acre site, and then a 9. Doubt there would be enough room for two stadiums on a 9 acre site, anyway.

Taking over an existing stadium would be a great option, if the price is right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 30 Mar 2017 - 17:49

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15190214.CHRIS_KIRWAN__WRU_s_leading_duo_must_not_take_backseat_in_takeover_debate/

Good article from Kirwan as per
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 7:32

Stone Motif wrote:

I spose it's a damn shame then that this apparent incompetence was never addressed during those 14 years.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 7:35

None of the reejuns have particularly covered themselves in glory.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:06

EXP been mentioned, if they'll let 'em in of course.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:15

munkian wrote:None of the reejuns have particularly covered themselves in glory.

Don't start me off now. Haven't the energy anymore for a bloos rant.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:21

Stone Motif wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15190214.CHRIS_KIRWAN__WRU_s_leading_duo_must_not_take_backseat_in_takeover_debate/

Some interesting comments in this and other related articles.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:24

Cardiff Dave wrote:

Barely up to Pro12 standards and no real way of creating revenue from it with non rugby events.

bumhole to get to too.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:50

munkian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Barely up to Pro12 standards and no real way of creating revenue from it with non rugby events.

bumhole to get to too.

They have a nice shiny brand new train station there now though. Surely the WRU could use the money earmarked for Rodney Parade to bring EXP up to scratch ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:58

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15190214.CHRIS_KIRWAN__WRU_s_leading_duo_must_not_take_backseat_in_takeover_debate/

Some interesting comments in this and other related articles.

Why wouldn't Hazell sell to a private investor but he will to the WRU is the big question. They know what the sodding ground is worth, they've got too much money tied up and in it.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 8:59

LordDowlais wrote:
munkian wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

bumhole to get to too.

They have a nice shiny brand new train station there now though. Surely the WRU could use the money earmarked for Rodney Parade to bring EXP up to scratch ?

Would Ebbw want to sell it to them?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 9:06

Stone Motif wrote:Would Ebbw want to sell it to them?

They won't know until they ask I suppose. I been to EXP this season, and they have done the surrounding area really nice. Also all the new leisure centers and where the steel works used to be has been scrubbed up well. It's not quite the back hole it used to be in Ebbw anymore. They are also very passionate about their rugby in that town.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 9:08

LordDowlais wrote:

They won't know until they ask I suppose. I been to EXP this season, and they have done the surrounding area really nice. Also all the new leisure centers and where the steel works used to be has been scrubbed up well. It's not quite the back hole it used to be in Ebbw anymore. They are also very passionate about their rugby in that town.

Until they sort out the transport infrastructure it would be a nightmare for 'home' and away fans.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 9:14

munkian wrote:Until they sort out the transport infrastructure it would be a nightmare for 'home' and away fans.

Why ?

They are directly linked to the A465 and they have decent train and bus stations. There is plenty of parking, I agree that the ground is not up to standard, but that can be worked on. People seriously need to understand that life does go on outside the cities, and that there are decent transport links in the valleys. There would be no difference to Dragons being put in Ebbw Vale if the ground is brought up to standard as what we are doing now by having Scarlets based in Llanelli.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 31 Mar 2017 - 9:18

LordDowlais wrote:

It wouldn't have much value as an asset unless significantly improved certainly less than Dave Parade and the Union will only be putting in what the value of the asset allows. They appear To be getting Rodders cheap if 3.75m is to be believed. They'd have to pick up EXP for less than a mil. But glad to see you understand ownership us key now, any time you want to refute your earlier rants you go ahead.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next