The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What 'should' your league look like?

+2
Luke
Lowlandbrit
6 posters

Go down

What 'should' your league look like? Empty What 'should' your league look like?

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 27 May 2018, 3:40 pm

I never really saw Stoke as a PL club. Nothing to do with their play on the field, it just never quite clicked in my head for some reason. On the other hand, I still think of Leeds as a PL club no matter how long they've been out for. So with the season (just about) over I thought I'd ask what combination of clubs would have you looking at a pre-season table thinking "that just looks right to me"? Can be any league you follow, any reason you like. Curious to see how other people look at it.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

What 'should' your league look like? Empty Re: What 'should' your league look like?

Post by Guest Sun 27 May 2018, 4:26 pm

Leeds, Forest and Villa will always be viewed as top tier clubs through my eyes.

That obviously stems from growing up in an era where they were pretty good and competitive. I used to judge clubs by the size of their stadium but Sunderland have ruined that now.

Newcastle and West Ham are PL mainstays in my mind and look weird (when they're) in the Championship.

Bournemouth in the top division will never look right and Brighton. They were the kinda clubs you'd loan your dead wood to on Football manager 99.

I have a certain warmth for Norwich and Ipswich because that part of the country isn't repped in the PL as of now Laugh so one of them would make the cut. Derby and Wolves are both biggies as well.

I had a similar conversation to this a few months back and almost made a QPR fan cry when I said they were a League One team.

Back to top Go down

What 'should' your league look like? Empty Re: What 'should' your league look like?

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 28 May 2018, 3:17 pm

Nostalgia's a huge factor obviously. There are a few clubs that have been gone a long time, are League One clubs in my head now, but would jump straight up to PL after a good run (like Coventry or Sheffield Wednesday). Having thought about it a little, I think my problem with Stoke is that they came in too late to slot into the 'solid mid-table' tier in my head, but were too good to go in the 'rotating cloud of relegation candidates' tier.

I'd say my 'least PL' club was probably Wigan. Nothing about that ever felt right to me.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2018, 4:25 pm

I always associate Wigan with Rugby League. They were trouncing everybody during my teenage years and those memories have just stuck, and I'm not even a Rugby fan. I think of Wigan - I think of Martin Offiah and co.

Swindon are probably my least PL team, albeit for one season! Pre PL you gotta go with Wimbledon. All 42 games were like away games for them. Helluva story, mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 28 May 2018, 5:29 pm

Huddersfield, Bournemouth,Brighton (though I have a soft spot for), Burnley. Just all feel like they're top/middle championship sides. That have done fantastically well to be where they are.

Forest (mainly through there history), Sheffield Wednesday Leeds are probably sides that to me look wrong in the championship.And wouldn't look odd in the PL sides.

Over the years seeing us (Hull city), Bradford,Barnsley in the PL was weird. Seeing Leeds,Forest,Wednesday and now Sunderland in league 1 had/has a strange feeling to it. Likewise Accrington for different reasons. Also Burton in the championship.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2018, 6:35 pm

Barnsley is a great shout. I forgot about them and the free scoring Neil Redfearn!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 28 May 2018, 9:59 pm

As a villa fan seems weird being in the championship as we’ve always been in the prem/div 1 for almost the last 30 years.

The likes of Leeds/Forest/Wednesday seem strange despite how long they’ve been out of the prem, being in the championship.

Never thought I’d see Bournemouth in the prem, although fair play to them.

Blackburn in league 1 was strange last season although having tipped them to win the league thought they would bounce straight back.

Sunderland being in league 1 will be strange.

Would like to see Portsmouth back in the prem in a few years.
Ditto Coventry, glad they won today.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 28 May 2018, 10:26 pm

I suppose it's when you started watching football, and who you were used to seeing. When I regularly went to see city we always seemed to face Stoke,West Bromwich etc. Which is why when they 1st went up it was kind of strange, Like Fulham who I've seen us play in all 4 divisions. But there always clubs like QPR who were pretty much always in the top flight so we're considered a mainstay like Coventry. But who would now look strange should they get back in the PL. And also were the club's are now.
Swansea when they first went up seemed out of place, simply because of us playing them regularly in the bottom 2 divisions.
Blackpool in there 1 season in the PL just look weird. As they did in the championship. Notts County who were in the first PL (if memory serves me), we're strange.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Mon 28 May 2018, 10:27 pm

Forgot to add Reading.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 28 May 2018, 10:33 pm

Yeah Notts County were in the First Division prior to the PL's inception.

I'd have one seaside town in my final cut just to give the fans a fun extended away day/weekend but not too many due to the risk of drunken drownings and shark attacks.

Westy + a beach after a few guinness guinness guinness  is a recipe for disaster!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 29 May 2018, 3:07 pm

Drank the sorrows Saturday, no worries about that Wink

Chatting to a lovely woman from Northern Ireland.
Highlight of the day.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 29 May 2018, 3:22 pm

I struggle with the whole "a team should be in a division" idea, mainly because I've seen Norwich flit up and down between three of them the past decade or so, I think teams get what they deserve. Albeit, that year Yeovil made the championship was just weird
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 30 May 2018, 3:46 pm

Don't forget little Oldham were also founder members of the Premier League. We won the old Div2 with Neil Refearns Penalty against Sheff Weds in the last few minutes to win the league. The next season was the first Premier League. I believe West Ham fans were on their pitch celebrating 'winning' the league as their game finished before ours laughing

Talking of leagues teams 'should' be in, Oldham had 21 years in League 1 and finally we ended it this year getting relegated to League 2!
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon 23 Jul 2018, 8:04 pm

United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Liverpool, Everton, obviously.

Forest and Derby. Leeds and Bradford. Wimbledon and Watford. Newcastle and Sunderland. Sheffield Wednesday. Pompey and Southampton. Wolverhampton and Villa.

Beautiful.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down