The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+19
TexasWedge
Be_the_ball
super_realist
Diggers
superflyweight
dynamark
JAS
I'm never wrong
NedB-H
pedro
navyblueshorts
Davie
kwinigolfer
westisbest
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
wiretapper
beninho
McLaren
23 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Sat 29 Sep 2018, 1:36 pm

First topic message reminder :

Re Sterling, he’s got more PL assists than any English player in the last year, 3rd most of anyone. As well as a shedload of goals, what a poopie player he is!!
Could this be it for Jose, I certainly hope so.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 9:31 am

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Fat, ugly, stupid turd. Just wow. Stay classy. Am I surprised realist has a hatred of a high profile black person for no real reason?

"just wow" Are you on some sort of bad American sitcom?

For no real reason? Ha ha. She is probably the most inept, incompetent and worst orator in the history of cabinet politics. She is atrocious at her job, so much so that in the last election Labour attempted to hide her away and pretended she was unwell so that she didn't do any more harm to the Labour party. The likes of her and Corbyn are actually the best thing for Tory politics. Why can't Labour see through this?

Where did I say anything about her being black? I'm slagging off Corbyn too, probably more, yet funny how you overlook that and go looking for something you consider to be racist.

Can you not say anything about someone who is black without being accused of racism? Abbot is fat and ugly. That's not even up for debate, and she is a truly terrible cabinet member and a constant embarrassment to the party. She might be a decent MP for her constituents, but that's it. It's hard to imagine anyone in British politics as bad as Sarah Palin, but Abbott comes incredibly close.

Mac, for your information, no one got banned for inferring I was racist, seeing as you think I am though, please point out what is racist about anything I've ever said. You can't.

It's funny though, because I think if you made a list of what she's achieved in life, what actual differences she has made to help people or are just noteworthy achievements, and then you did the same for your life. Then you showed them to an impartial observer and said, who has done more, who do you think is more intelligent, who has left an impression on the world (not always what people would agree with but at least trying) I'd be staggered if any of them chose your life over hers. Utterly amazed (clearly this is from what I know of you, but what else do I have to go on) . So if that's what you think of her, imagine what people must think of you - if of course they thought in the way that you do - which thankfully most people don't.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 9 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Nov 2018, 11:20 am

Super

Assuming she was "hidden away" and we don't know she wasn't just unwell as claimed and you have to ask why she was hidden away for a few minor mistakes when others like Boris made a lot more.

As a black woman the UK public was not willing to give here the slack other politicians get for minor errors or even outright lies. For you to perpetuate the myth she is incompetent is racist and sexist.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 07 Nov 2018, 12:13 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

Assuming she was "hidden away" and we don't know she wasn't just unwell as claimed and you have to ask why she was hidden away for a few minor mistakes when others like Boris made a lot more.

As a black woman the UK public was not willing to give here the slack other politicians get for minor errors or even outright lies.  For you to perpetuate the myth she is incompetent is racist and sexist.

No - it absolutely isn't and your statement is bordering on being as offensive as the brush you are attempting to tar Super with. If I were to call you an idiot I am not commenting on your colour or your attitude to the opposite sex. Stating/suggesting/proffering opinion that she is incompetent is stating/suggesting/proffering opinion that she is incompetent. (Granted, Super does post as if it's a fact and, much as I happen to think Abbott is sh*te, it is but an opinion).

I happen to believe Abbot was squirrelled away from the public eye during the election, but obviously can't back that up other than I think she at least took the opinion on board that it would be the best way to help the party. Whereas, Boris would never, ever put anything before his own ego for the good of anyone else and so even if hiding him would land the Tories a 100+ majority, he'd never agree to do it and even if he did agree to, he never actually would do it.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 12:29 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:

As a black woman the UK public was not willing to give here the slack other politicians get for minor errors or even outright lies.  For you to perpetuate the myth she is incompetent is racist and sexist.

No - it absolutely isn't and your statement is bordering on being as offensive as the brush you are attempting to tar Super with. If I were to call you an idiot I am not commenting on your colour or your attitude to the opposite sex. Stating/suggesting/proffering opinion that she is incompetent is stating/suggesting/proffering opinion that she is incompetent. (Granted, Super does post as if it's a fact and, much as I happen to think Abbott is sh*te, it is but an opinion).

I happen to believe Abbot was squirrelled away from the public eye during the election, but obviously can't back that up other than I think she at least took the opinion on board that it would be the best way to help the party. Whereas, Boris would never, ever put anything before his own ego for the good of anyone else and so even if hiding him would land the Tories a 100+ majority, he'd never agree to do it and even if he did agree to, he never actually would do it.

Hammond was as hidden as Abbott was, he was literally the invisible man.
The bigger point is why she was hidden, it's an undeniable fact that the abuse she has taken is disgusting, death threats, personal comments, which have no bearing on how she does her job. There seemed to be a hint that she was pretty close to a nervous breakdown, if you look at the level of abuse it's easy to see why that might be the case. Of course, someone would have to have some level of compassion to factor this in, others would just state irrelevant points about her being fat and ugly - which,again, has no bearing on how you would judge her career.
Like I say, I fully understand why people wouldn't like or agree with her, even rate her as a cabinet minister. But if you look at her academic achievements, the bodies she has chaired and helped, the numerous examples of constituents she has helped (funny how Super dismisses being an MP as if it was some kind of nothing job that anyone could do) you cannot just dismiss her as being a stupid, useless person. That's utterly ignorant and reflects far more about the person saying it.
I'm not suggesting that Super is in anyway worse than anyone else on here if their life was to be compared with hers, but nobody else on here is making the same, stupid, pathetic (and largely incorrect) statements.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Nov 2018, 12:46 pm

Roller

You have missed the point.  It is the perpetuating of a racist and sexist trope about Abbot that is racist and sexist.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 07 Nov 2018, 1:16 pm

Mac - I haven't missed the point. You have posted that for Super to call her incompetent is racist and sexist.

It isn't.

Your trope is tripe, sir.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Nov 2018, 1:52 pm

super_realist
Super wrote:
Iddi Imin's stunt double, the fat ugly, stupid turd of Dianne Abbot

She is probably the most inept, incompetent and worst orator in the history of cabinet politics. She is atrocious at her job, 

Roller

Those two comments are perpetuating the racist ideas that have been directed towards Abbot.

Thanks to Racist idiots the criticism of Abbot now has to be much more specific because precisely the language used above by super has been used as racist and sexis slurs.

If Super wants his comments to been seen as separate from the racist misogynist mob then he should pick some different language from them.  It isn't my responsibility to reinterpret racist language and assume it actually has a positive spin.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 07 Nov 2018, 3:32 pm

McLaren wrote:super_realist
Super wrote:

She is probably the most inept, incompetent and worst orator in the history of cabinet politics. She is atrocious at her job, 

Roller

Those two comments are perpetuating the racist ideas that have been directed towards Abbot.

Thanks to Racist idiots the criticism of Abbot now has to be much more specific because precisely the language used above by super has been used as racist and sexis slurs.

If Super wants his comments to been seen as separate from the racist misogynist mob then he should pick some different language from them.  It isn't my responsibility to reinterpret racist language and assume it actually has a positive spin.

Why is it that people always jump to the race card with Abbot? She does display quite an amazing contrast. On the one hand as Shadow Home Sec she is unfortunately seen by many as Labours biggest electoral liability (whether for racist reasons or otherwise). On the other hand she is also seen as a hardworking conscientious constituency MP (look at her majority over several elections) if she was dross she simply wouldn’t get re-elected with that size of mandate (sorry to be proper 2018 PC -persondate).

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 07 Nov 2018, 4:35 pm

Jas, you use the words “contrast” and “shadow” to describe her. Behold, Mac!

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 07 Nov 2018, 4:56 pm

McLaren wrote:That's just you're opinion.
Laugh Good one.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 07 Nov 2018, 4:57 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Sympathy, maybe. Empathy, no. Not unless someone has been subjected to/suffered the self-same thing as whomever.
Anyone who says they empathise with someone, but hasn't experienced the same issues, is usually talking twaddle.

Moving on...

I agree that there is a difference between sympathy and empathy, and they can be confused / conflated. But you really don't have to suffer the same issues to empathise. We do have imaginations and the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes.
If you say so. Personally, I don't think people have a clue about others' feelings on something. They think they do, but in reality, they too often don't.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 5:05 pm

JAS wrote:
Super wrote:

Roller

Why is it that people always jump to the race card with Abbot? She does display quite an amazing contrast. On the one hand as Shadow Home Sec she is unfortunately seen by many as Labours biggest electoral liability (whether for racist reasons or otherwise). On the other hand she is also seen as a hardworking conscientious constituency MP (look at her majority over several elections) if she was dross she simply wouldn’t get re-elected with that size of mandate (sorry to be proper 2018 PC -persondate).

Part of the reason is she does get a huge amount of racist abuse (not interpreted racism, full on racist abuse) on social media. I think she seems to be a target for insults, far more so than other politicians. It could be a coincidence, or maybe it's because she's a woman, she's black and she's fat. She is a far more capable politician than many, many others in the House but gets way more stick.
She was my MP for 7 years and is loved in her constituency who know how hard she works to actually do something. I've also seen her debate live at Any Questions, she was comfortably the best orator on the panel and was actually really funny.
I think she genuinely sets out to make a change for the greater good, she doesn't always succeed, but you could tar a lot of politicians with the self-interested brush and I really do not think she falls anywhere near that category. In terms of being a decent human being she must be worth a hundred Boris Johnsons or Michael Goves.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 5:08 pm

Give this a read, I think this is fairly indicative of the crap she has to put up with.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/02/community-order-for-man-who-sent-racial-abuse-to-diane-abbott

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 07 Nov 2018, 5:25 pm

That's all well and good Digs, and I don't for a minute support the sort of comments that get fired her way. However, I'm not one of her constituents and all I see is an accident waiting to happen. She puts her foot in her mouth way too often and I've never let her off the hypocrisy of her son's education or some of her comments re. race relations. If I was a cynic (which I am) I'd think she has her Shadow Cabinet position simply because she once had a relationship with Corbyn.

Frankly, I don't give a 4X for either main party anymore and I can't think that the UK's political system and politicians have ever been so scheiss. Screw the lot of them with their universal dishonesty and small-minded infighting.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 5:34 pm

That's fine, NBS, if you hate them all, that's all well and good. I don't think she's a great shadow minister, but as you say look anywhere and there are people making huge mistakes (IMO).
This is about why she gets so much abuse (personal abuse), all the data backs it up, I think half of all misogynist tweets are aimed at her. Now, personally I do not believe we live in a society that is colour/sex/size blind. She gets abuse because people don't like her, but the disgusting personal abuse is, as far as I'm concerned, because she's black, a woman and fat.
Whether politics is a mess or not, that's just not right.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Nov 2018, 5:38 pm

Jas

On this instance the "race card" was jumped to because super repeated in several posts the exact same racist language that was used against Abbot. If you were not trying to be racist why would you do that?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 07 Nov 2018, 6:15 pm

Interesting stuff guys I'm not keen her or any of her crew either,Dont appear competent.
Never quite understood why our media give so much credence to what the opposition say .Theres always the 'labour say they would do this or that' and a spokesman saying 'if we were' .Fact is they are not the government and will not be until an election says otherwise so why give so much air time and credence to the group that are not in the seat ?
Hopefully in my lifetime labour will be shut out .My daughter at 19 even voted labour purely on the basis of Corbyn sort of promising to be rid of tuition fees .Ive written her out of the will .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 6:28 pm

Interesting point. If either of my kids grew up to be Tory supporters I would genuinely respect them less, would that mean I’d love them less, probably.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 07 Nov 2018, 7:33 pm

dynamark wrote:so why give so much air time and credence to the group that are not in the seat ?
Because they have to bend over backwards to give a "balanced view". My paper does it on their letters page. Always one letter countering the others in an argument.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 07 Nov 2018, 7:48 pm

W all know that you can promise anything when you do not have to deliver it.It skews the argument . I didn't ask her how she voted she just dropped it out on the basis of the tuition fee thing.Only joking re the will.
Amazed how many folk still read so called daily newspapers.See mainly older folk walking back from the shop every day with a paper under their arm.Pal of mine has the sun and express every day -why- probably ordering some elasticated waist trousers and slip on shoes plus a holiday for a fiver.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 7:57 pm

Re the promises, I’m not sure it matters whether you’re in power or not. The Tories haven’t followed their manifesto, they don’t stick to a set fiscal policy, May has made a stack of U turns.
I still like a paper DM, rarely buy one but feels like a nice treat every now and again, especially on a Sunday.
Then again I’m the same with books, can’t get on board with e-books, love to pick up an actual copy. Some research the other week said just being in a home with lots of books (regardless of reading them) makes you smarter. No idea how but I’ll take it!

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 07 Nov 2018, 9:10 pm

dynamark wrote:
Hopefully in my lifetime labour will be shut out .My daughter at 19 even voted labour purely on the basis of Corbyn sort of promising to be rid of tuition fees .Ive written her out of the will .

Out of interest what party do you usually vote for and what labour policies cause you so much worry?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 07 Nov 2018, 11:12 pm

Is it racist to make fun of Raheem Sterlings Swan Lake audition?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 07 Nov 2018, 11:23 pm

Definitely laugh at the fall - definitely not a dive. Might balance it out by mentioning the fantastic goal.
That’s 9 for club and country so far for the season, well on his way to my predicted 25 plus.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 08 Nov 2018, 7:01 am

Anyone see Trump getting into it with the journo. Its just mental that he is what America want. I saw Obama campaigning the other day, the contrast between who they come across and interact is ridiculous.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 08 Nov 2018, 7:56 am

The accusation that the journalist assaulted the young White House intern is stupid. If anything she assaulted him - though neither was real assault

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Nov 2018, 8:08 am

Mac, it's not remotely racist to say that she is incompetent, nor is it sexist.

She routinely embarrasses herself and the party, it's not a one off, it's not a simple mistake. She is frequently unprepared, is a terrible orator and cannot answer simple questions which someone like her should be able to do, given the position she has found herself in.  Are you seriously trying to tell me she is a good shadow cabinet member and you think she is good at her job?

For the record, I CLEARLY stated that she's probably a good MP, but that's a completely different role to being a Shadow Cabinet Minister where you are supposed to be sharp and articulate, something Abbott rarely is.

If I was racist and sexist, why would I not make similar criticism against all other black/female MP's?

Honestly Mac, you make the most absurd and stupid allegations that as usual are clouded by your childish confirmation bias and of course is backed up by no evidence whatsoever.

By the way, there is a lot more evidence of Abbott being racist than you'll ever find from me, but keep trying Mac.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 08 Nov 2018, 8:40 am

Davie wrote:The accusation that the journalist assaulted the young White House intern is stupid. If anything she assaulted him - though neither was real assault

The press secretary has now tweeted a doctored video to make it into sonething it isn't.

Pipe bombs were sent to the press, after someone was radicalized by trump, yet they continue with the absurd fake news and enemy of tge prople nonsense. It would be funny if it wasn't all a bit scary.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 08 Nov 2018, 8:44 am

I'm not really a big fan of corbyn, mcdonell or abbott, but I'd take all of them over who is in power at the moment. The likes of gove, javid and hunt and when in cabinet davies or johnson.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Nov 2018, 8:52 am

super_realist wrote:

Mac, it's not remotely racist to say that she is incompetent, nor is it sexist.

She routinely embarrasses herself and the party, it's not a one off, it's not a simple mistake. She is frequently unprepared, is a terrible orator and cannot answer simple questions which someone like her should be able to do, given the position she has found herself in.  Are you seriously trying to tell me she is a good shadow cabinet member and you think she is good at her job?

For the record, I CLEARLY stated that she's probably a good MP, but that's a completely different role to being a Shadow Cabinet Minister where you are supposed to be sharp and articulate, something Abbott rarely is.

If I was racist and sexist, why would I not make similar criticism against all other black/female MP's?

Honestly Mac, you make the most absurd and stupid allegations that as usual are clouded by your childish confirmation bias and of course is backed up by no evidence whatsoever.

By the way, there is a lot more evidence of Abbott being racist than you'll ever find from me, but keep trying Mac.

Show us this evidence please.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 08 Nov 2018, 9:02 am

Super

If anyone including yourself cares to check out my post above which quoted what you actually said about Abbot, the myth that you just criticised her performance as a politician will soon be dispelled.

And as I pointed out in that post it is your use of exactly the same language that has been used to racially and misogynistically abuse her that made your comments look bigoted.

I will join Diggers in calling for you to provide the evidence that Abbot has been racist?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Nov 2018, 9:29 am

Diggers wrote:That's fine, NBS, if you hate them all, that's all well and good. I don't think she's a great shadow minister, but as you say look anywhere and there are people making huge mistakes (IMO).
This is about why she gets so much abuse (personal abuse), all the data backs it up,  I think half of all misogynist tweets are aimed at her. Now, personally I do not believe we live in a society that is colour/sex/size blind. She gets abuse because people don't like her, but the disgusting personal abuse is, as far as I'm concerned, because she's black, a woman and fat.
OK
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 08 Nov 2018, 9:52 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:That's fine, NBS, if you hate them all, that's all well and good. I don't think she's a great shadow minister, but as you say look anywhere and there are people making huge mistakes (IMO).
This is about why she gets so much abuse (personal abuse), all the data backs it up,  I think half of all misogynist tweets are aimed at her. Now, personally I do not believe we live in a society that is colour/sex/size blind. She gets abuse because people don't like her, but the disgusting personal abuse is, as far as I'm concerned, because she's black, a woman and fat.
:OK:

Super please take note of this line, things might start to fall into place for you.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 08 Nov 2018, 1:53 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas

On this instance the "race card" was jumped to because super repeated in several posts the exact same racist language that was used against Abbot. If you were not trying to be racist why would you do that?

Is this just an internet thing, or are you like this in real life?

Calling Diane Abbott fat and ugly is not racist. It's unnecessary but not racist. Calling her incompetent is not racist either, it's an opinion and there have been events to support this point of view.

Personally, I think she's out of her depth at cabinet level and has said / done some pretty inflammatory things which have put a great big target on her back. Unfortunately the dregs of society are always ready to dish out the abuse, which has gone way beyond the bounds of decency. Although this abuse is disgusting, it shouldn't give her a free pass to escape constructive criticism of her actions.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 08 Nov 2018, 1:54 pm

super_realist wrote:
McLaren wrote:That's just you're opinion.

Jesus Mac, go back to school.

Reeled him in, hook, line and sinker.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 08 Nov 2018, 3:32 pm

Super wrote:

Roller

No, they're not.

There is nothing at all doing that there. Nothing relating to her colour. Nothing relating to her gender.

Who has used those terms and what is the evidence (or shred of context) that they used them AS racial or sexist slurs? Who makes up this racist misogynist mob that you cite?

IF an actual, acknowledged, admitted racist or sexist has used those phrases to racially denigrate or abuse any person based on their sex, let alone Abbott, then frankly they're as cr@p at being a racist or sexist as you are at trying to out one.

Sometimes Mac your arguments are less successful than someone arguing that Nigel Farage wants Britain to be the founding but subservient minority in a Federal Europe.

Still - in the interest of balance - your post of "That's just you're opinion." and subsequent bite was comedy gold.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Nov 2018, 3:33 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

Calling Diane Abbott fat and ugly is not racist. It's unnecessary but not racist. Calling her incompetent is not racist either, it's an opinion and there have been events to support this point of view.

Personally, I think she's out of her depth at cabinet level and has said / done some pretty inflammatory things which have put a great big target on her back. Unfortunately the dregs of society are always ready to dish out the abuse, which has gone way beyond the bounds of decency. Although this abuse is disgusting, it shouldn't give her a free pass to escape constructive criticism of her actions.

I don’t know whether SR is racist or not, he almost courts the accusations so quite frankly he’s not worth the calories it takes to type an opinion. But re DA, she is so far removed from a free pass it’s ridiculous. She receives a massively disproportionate amount of abuse, so when people post, why is it always the race card, there is a reason why race gets mentioned.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:17 pm

Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

I don’t know whether SR is racist or not, he almost courts the accusations so quite frankly he’s not worth the calories it takes to type an opinion. But re DA, she is so far removed from a free pass it’s ridiculous. She receives a massively disproportionate amount of abuse, so when people post, why is it always the race card, there is a reason why race gets mentioned.
Isn't that just lazy and too often based on an absence of foundation though? Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less whether she's black, white or pink with green polka dots. I do care that she talks twaddle too often for her position.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Isn't that just lazy and too often based on an absence of foundation though? Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't care less whether she's black, white or pink with green polka dots. I do care that she talks twaddle too often for her position.

No, it’s not lazy, it’s backed up by fact. She gets a huge amount of bile spat at her, a disproportionate amount. Personally I’m the other way, I think it’s lazy to assume there isn’t an underlying reason for it. Race makes people act differently to one another, without them even realising it, plenty of evidence to back that up, lots of unconscious discrimination studies bear it out.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Nov 2018, 4:52 pm

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Diggers wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

No, it’s not lazy, it’s backed up by fact. She gets a huge amount of bile spat at her, a disproportionate amount. Personally I’m the other way, I think it’s lazy to assume there isn’t an underlying reason for it. Race makes people act differently to one another, without them even realising it, plenty of evidence to back that up, lots of unconscious discrimination studies bear it out.
Individual insults directed her way aren't necessarily racist or backed up by such facts at all. Surely, they have to be taken on a case-by-case basis. I'm not saying she doesn't get horrendous racist abuse; I'm not that stupid. What I'm against, consistently, is lazy "That's racist!" utterances from all and sundry, when a given comment has nothing in it to support such a claim.
I know all about unconscious bias etc etc. I'm sure there's lots of unconscious bias based on race, but I'm not sure in those cases people should be pilloried, which is what Mac, for example, does. Works both ways though and one or two of Abbott's past remarks suggest she isn't aware enough of that.
Difficult topic, but I don't think that because some racial groups have suffered historic race-based abuse, the way to solve it is to accuse anyone being critical of one of those groups of being racist. I also utterly hate the idea that it's also somehow OK for one of those groups to think that because of their history, that somehow makes it OK to make remarks that were the positions reversed, it would be racist. Understandable, maybe, but still utterly wrong and should be called as such.

Still, I suppose that this sort of thing can be openly discussed is a good thing, but I think the pendulum re. what utterances are or are not racist, and other similar things such as gender equality, is in danger of swinging too far. You don't educate anyone by repeatedly calling them racist, misogynisitic, etc and you're more likely to entrench their views.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:02 pm

I think anyone in Abbott's position, making the type of comments she has made, would get a huge amount of bile spat at them. The problem is that a minority of people choose to racially abuse her.

There's something about her that really winds people up. I think it is because she has made a number of racist statements herself that some people feel it's fair game to be racist in return.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:20 pm

Ray

Super made the same claim about Abbot having made racist comments but I am wondering if you have any links or other evidence to support this?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:27 pm

I think if you look at the statements she has meant to have made, you'll find they relate comments on discrimination (perceived or otherwise) rather than racism. She is definitely chippy about her race, maybe if I'd have people threaten to kill me, my children and burn my house down, I'd be a bit chippy too.
Like I said, I think the bigger issue here is a lack of awareness as to just how people react to "different" people, and not even know they were likely to do so. It doesn't make them racist, but it shows that we really are nowhere near to being as liberal and colour/gender blind as we would like to think.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:37 pm

McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
OK

Super please take note of this line, things might start to fall into place for you.

Mac, don't be such a colossal idiot. Let's consider what I said what I said about Abbott, but imagine I didn't mention any name. You wouldn't have a clue if I was talking about a woman or a man, nor would you have been able to determine whether the person to which I referred to was black or not. You've simply joined up the dots and made a connection that isn't there because you are desperate to try and prove that I'm a racist, unfortunately for you, you're neither good at reading nor making an argument based on what is in front of you. To claim that describing her as inept and poor at her job as being sexist and racist simply shows that you hatched out of an egg yesterday.
It's as stupid as Lennon claiming his coin toss incident was because he's a Northern Irish Catholic, he's jumping to conclusions like you have, but like him, you've got nothing to base it on.

None of what I said was racist in any way, you're the one seeing the race of Abbott and making a truly infantile conflation. I know you are still relatively young, but you are the most green and most naïve person I think I've ever come across.

In fact, not only was anything I said about Abbott not racist, I've never said anything racist about anyone, and your lack of ability in being able to bring any up despite your desperation helps demonstrate that.

I am critical of loads of people on here, man/woman and from every ethnicity, and you picking out individual people because they are black and insinuating that I'm being racist shows just how idiotic you can be in your claims.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:57 pm

Super, are some of your best friends black?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 08 Nov 2018, 5:58 pm

Is it better to be construed as racist or just a massive cnt?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 08 Nov 2018, 7:07 pm

beninho wrote:Super, are some of your best friends black?

Show me where I've been racist, anywhere.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 08 Nov 2018, 7:48 pm

Super

I have already pointed out where you were racist in this thread. And saying that out of context I couldn't tell who you were referring to is a weird defense given you were clearly referring to Abbot.

I think you would agree that you are very keen to flirt as close as is possible with being racist to make the point that people shouldn't be offended, on may occasions the way you write about Serena, Tiger, Sterling and now Abbot crosses into actually being racist (At what point does that just make you a racist?). Given this I don't understand why you fight so hard to argue you have not been racist given how intentionally close to being racist you try to be. You have just miss judged the line a little and been called out, why does that bother you so much?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 08 Nov 2018, 8:15 pm

super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:Super, are some of your best friends black?

Show me where I've been racist, anywhere.

It was that your denial just reminded me of when people say im not racist some of my best friends are black.

You may not be racist, but some of the things you've said, could be construed as racist. Assuming you are only "super realist" on this golf board, thats fine. If you are as you act in reality, a word of warning about your usually irrational views on high profile black sportsmen.

But I'm sure your not racist, just a bit of a grouchy bastrd.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 09 Nov 2018, 7:32 am

Got myself into some gun debates on twitter with some American gun people. Its fricking scary the views of these people. The arguments are crazy, they see it as some sort of defence and protection, yet don't understand that if guns are removed from tge vadt majority you wont really need protection. No other country in the world has these problems, yet they can't see it!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next