The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

+28
profitius
Dollar Bill
demosthenes
Anglobraveheart
Pot Hale
king_carlos
TJ
Hazel Sapling
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
bsando
cakeordeath
George Carlin
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
mikey_dragon
Mad for Chelsea
reallybored
TheMildlyFranticLlama
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
nickj
Brendan
jimbopip
RDW
Kingshu
tigertattie
32 posters

Page 20 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 20 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Mon 09 Sep 2019, 5:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well a new season is probably time to start off a new thread.

2 weeks to the start of the season and both sides with one more pre season game to go. A lot of unknowns this season again, due to the number of players away with Scotland and other countries for the WC.

For Glasgow, can they continue their general excellence that took them on a fantastic end of season run to the Pro 14 Final, where they just fell short. It might be their last campaign under Dave Rennie, so can they go one better?

Edinburgh also have questions to ask, the main one being whether they can ever pass the ball past the FH and how soon before their wingers are likely to go blue from hypothermia? On a more positive note though, they may finally be playing in Mini Murrayfield by autumn 2020. So only one more year to bear playing in the library!

Good luck to both teams for the coming season, though Edinburgh are more likely to need it than Glasgow!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by BigGee Tue 18 Feb 2020, 9:45 am

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh banter thread no. 23 - New season, new thread

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 18 Feb 2020, 11:00 am

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 24 Feb 2020, 11:41 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Farndale has signed permanently for Edinburgh from the 7s.  He's been back and forward so often I fully expect him to be back with the 7s next week.

Guess who has been called up to the 7s!  Laugh

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Mon 24 Feb 2020, 12:00 pm

Not looking too hopeful Cammie will be coming back any time soon... https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bath-sign-highly-rated-redpath-on-six-figure-fee-from-sale

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 24 Feb 2020, 1:01 pm

Coming back? He was never here to start with!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 24 Feb 2020, 4:05 pm

RDW wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Farndale has signed permanently for Edinburgh from the 7s.  He's been back and forward so often I fully expect him to be back with the 7s next week.

I was a week out, but still claiming it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 25 Feb 2020, 12:59 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW wrote:

I was a week out, but still claiming it.

Laugh

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 25 Feb 2020, 5:24 pm

nickj wrote:Not looking too hopeful Cammie will be coming back any time soon... https://www.rugbypass.com/news/bath-sign-highly-rated-redpath-on-six-figure-fee-from-sale

I think this might prove to be irrelevant in the long run. Inside centre is not exactly a position of weakness for Scotland nor England for that matter. If in two-three years time we're short of a centre and he's not broken through with England yet I am sure he'll rediscover his Scottish roots. Sam Johnson is 26 and Rory Hutchinson is 24, Stafford McDowall is younger still so it's not likely to be a position we struggle in for some time.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:20 am

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:23 am

Cockers being open and honest about Edinburgh's re-signings for the next year. Key points:

- Nel and VDW have extended a year. Great news on both - Nel probably won't be away with Scotland so much and he'll do a great job during the international windows. VDW will likely come into the conversation with Scotland once he qualifies in the Autumn, particularly if Russell is still in the wilderness

- Hickey and Cicceralli still TBC. Would be great to hold onto Hickey but I'd understand if he left, although he has had a lot more gametime this season. Cockers was pretty blunt in saying there are no good up and coming SQ 10s just now so he'd have to bring someone in. Hopfully he re-signs, particularly if we're back in the Champions Cup and need the depth. Ciccarelli has ended up being an excellent signing - would have come in cheap and has turned into an international calibre tighthead. We might not be able to afford 3 international class tightheads though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:29 am

Some interesting comments from Cockers in the chat about Darcy being injured.

Looks like Ceccarelli could potentially be on his way, which would be a shame as he's looked a decent player for Edinburgh. But if he's away with Italy now as well then he's probably not what we need.

Also Hickey could be priced out of staying with Edinburgh. Last season, that would have been great news, however this season he seems to have settled in and looks something approaching the player we hoped he could be. To the point where he would be a loss to the club should he move on. Cockers also doesn't seem to think there are any SQ 10s coming through that could take his place, which is disappointing.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:30 am

RDW beat me to it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 26 Feb 2020, 9:40 am

EWT Spoons wrote:RDW beat me to it.
Cool

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 27 Feb 2020, 11:18 pm

What’s the chances of the mighty, real rugby team, that Is Edinburgh finishing top of the conference, all set to destroy a fading Leinster side, only for the game to be cancelled due to coronavirus.

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 28 Feb 2020, 11:21 am

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 29 Feb 2020, 7:43 pm

Well the Drags did Glasgow a favour by beating Cheetahs 13-10, so they only gain a point back on us. Their away form may still come back to haunt them come play off time.

Drags did well considering they were 10-0 down at HT!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 02 Mar 2020, 9:29 am

https://www.theoffsideline.com/greig-laidlaw-perpignan/

GL turns down a move to Perpignan, despite them being almost certain of promotion now.

Any ideas as to where he might end up? Could it still be back in Scotland?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 02 Mar 2020, 10:25 am

Would be amazing to have him back at Edinburgh. Maybe he'll slot in as a backup 9/10 player/coach in place of the possibly departing Hickey? Or is that just a silly idea?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 02 Mar 2020, 11:43 am

Edinburgh don't really need him - dunno what's happening with Pyrgos but Groom and Shiel will still be here next season as a good starter / up and coming mix.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 02 Mar 2020, 9:19 pm

If the SRU are smart, and they rarely are, they’ll have offered him a player/ coach role with one of the Super 6 teams. They could do worse than have a few of the old timers there in a developmental capacity. Especially guys like John Barclay and Greig Laidlaw.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 02 Mar 2020, 9:25 pm

I suspect he's got much higher aspirations than semi pro rugby whether as a player or coach! We're talking about Scotland's most respected and (probably) most successful captain of the 6N era.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 02 Mar 2020, 11:22 pm

Ultimately yes, but he’s 34 so realistically lower league Premiership/ top 14 or second tier beckons anyway. This way he can gain a leg up into coaching full time and raise the profile of a new tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 03 Mar 2020, 8:55 am

Can’t see him being interested in the Super6. His last offer, which he turned down, was for a club almost certain to be promoted into the T14, and who likely were offering him a decent salary. I doubt the S6 could get close to that.

Also the S6 is in it’s infancy, there are no examples yet of coaches in the S6 making the step up to coach at pro level (again it’s early days) so I’m not sure he’d take that gamble and run the risk of falling out of the public eye and being stuck in semi pro rugby.

I’m sure he’ll rock up at a club either in France or England as back up scrum half and possible start his coaching career with them. There is also an outside shout that he’ll end up involved in some capacity with Fiji, given Vern seemed to have a lot of time for him.

I’d take him at Edinburgh, but only if Pyrgos was moving on, as we don’t need two slow scrum halves. He could be backup to Groom and Shiel and would be a hell of a player for Shiel to learn from. But can’t really see that happening either.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Mar 2020, 10:55 am

Dunno how many times I need to say it to let it sink in

Pyrgos needs shipped of to somewhere in Englandshire.

George Horne needs to come to Edinburgh.

Laidlaw goes to Glasgow.

Glasgow then have
Aldi Price starter
Wee Greig and Dobie as backups with Laidlaw mentoring Dobie
You can even keep frisbie if you like.

Edinburgh then have
Wee Dod starting
Shiel and Groom as backups

That way Scotland's two prominent internationalists are getting regular top flight rugby and both clubs have adequate bench options.

But no, apparently this is a sill idea!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Mar 2020, 11:59 am

If Dobie carries on his current career projection, then it won't be long before Glasgow will have all three of Scotland's international SHs at the club, which will indeed be bonkers. The Glasgow Warriors forum will indeed go into complete meltdown should any of them be shipped eastwards though!

Malinder needs to start earning his corn in figuring out how this one is going to be worked out!

On another note, I though Sheil did pretty well on his first start for Edinburgh. You just hope that Cockers noted that as well and lets him have the game time he needs to develop and fulfil his potential.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 03 Mar 2020, 12:59 pm

It does become an interesting conundrum on what to do with our SH's. Problem with SHC was it not working out at Scarlets and no room was made at Edinburgh for a return even with a need. The SRU bear grudges far too often.

If Price gets a good offer from France or England next season, then the SRU really ought to consider letting him leave. Horne is a fan favourite and can grow with Hastings, whilst Price's work husband has already left. Horne/Dobie at one club and Pyrgos/Shiel at another with a new youngster coming in behind is a logical succession policy.

Maybe replace Frisbee with Steele (LI) or Vellacott (Wasps) as a punt on guys who never quite kicked on.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Mar 2020, 1:35 pm

Steele has never quite convinced at Premiership level and seems to be slipping down the pecking order at LI. I imagine his time has probably come and gone.

Vellacott has been done in by an ACL this season and still remains an unfulfilled potential. Hard to see why he could not fulfil that whilst on someone else's payroll. I imagine he will stay with Wasps now.

We are more likely to be on the look out for the next generation of youngsters to replace them, wherever they come from.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dollar Bill Tue 03 Mar 2020, 2:00 pm

I’d have a lazy fiver on Greeg joining the Falcons....particularly when Takulua has just left to join Toulon. That leaves them with Mickey Young and Sam Stuart as senior Scrum half’s

Just down the road from family in Jed.... makes sense to me!

Dollar Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Mar 2020, 2:47 pm

Dollar Bill wrote:I’d have a lazy fiver on Greeg joining the Falcons....particularly when Takulua has just left to join Toulon. That leaves them with Mickey Young and Sam Stuart as senior Scrum half’s

Just down the road from family in Jed.... makes sense to me!

Listen you, please dont come onto this thread and start talking sense!

It's not on I tell ye!!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 03 Mar 2020, 3:30 pm

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ive-gone-from-harlequins-to-racing-to-lyon-to-exeter-four-incredible-top-teams-when-i-could-have-been-stuck-at-scarlets-playing-for-Llandovery

Good article on the journey's of SHC

I have always been a critic who thinks he wasted his talent a bit but you can't fault him for chasing his opportunities over the last few years. He seems to have gotten his reward now with the contract at Exeter. Hopefully he will grab his chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 03 Mar 2020, 3:48 pm

In an era when we've managed to accrue a significant number of very average scrum-halves, SHC could and should be very much in the picture for Scotland but he's never quite kicked on. Exeter is probably something of a last chance saloon for him. They are a really good set-up and should he struggle there then it's hard to see where he goes next.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 03 Mar 2020, 3:55 pm

There's no doubting his confidence anyway...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 05 Mar 2020, 9:08 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51727895

Sort of did not get mentioned here. Young prop, convinced to go to Edinburgh, no opportunity. Glasgow no TH fit and could do with someone for a couple of months to come in.

Goes to Gloucester....

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 05 Mar 2020, 9:11 am

Yeah I saw that - it's a shame we never got to see him given he's been around a few years at Edinbrugh. He's an absolute giant - probably a bit too big in the early days - but obviously wasn't trusted yet but Cockers. 

No doubt he'll now go on to become an England regular!

Ciccarelli is off next season so we'll be looking for another tighthead anyway.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 05 Mar 2020, 2:21 pm

Edinburgh have signed a teenage centre from South Africa, no doubt having been prompted by teh current South African contingent.

Looks like very much one for the future.

Look at the size of him - he's only 17!

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/edinburgh-sign-centre-venter-for-2020-21

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 06 Mar 2020, 7:08 am

BigGee wrote:https://www.rugbypass.com/news/ive-gone-from-harlequins-to-racing-to-lyon-to-exeter-four-incredible-top-teams-when-i-could-have-been-stuck-at-scarlets-playing-for-Llandovery

Good article on the journey's of SHC

I have always been a critic who thinks he wasted his talent a bit but you can't fault him for chasing his opportunities over the last few years. He seems to have gotten his reward now with the contract at Exeter. Hopefully he will grab his chance.

£10 says he'll be at another club mid next season. I think he'll do well at Exeter, closer to home and Toonie will be watching Hogg and Skinner there so having HDC in the picture makes it easier for him to consider him for selection.

His comments on Russell were interesting, just made me feel how short changed us fans have been over such a petty incident.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 06 Mar 2020, 8:38 am

RDW wrote:Edinburgh have signed a teenage centre from South Africa, no doubt having been prompted by teh current South African contingent.

https://www.edinburghrugby.org/the-clubhouse/edinburgh-sign-centre-venter-for-2020-21

This one causing a bit of a stir in the twittersphere!

A bit of a punt on a promising young kid really, no guarantees with anyone at that age. He certainly looks like he has the physical tools, but that does not automatically mean he will make the step up.

Top of the moon put out some statistics in defence of this signing, pointing out that virtually all our current centres will be over or pushing 30 by the time this kid is 22 and potentially eligible for Scotland. Over the two clubs, we will be looking to recruit another 10 plus centres in that time frame. This signing is not a barrier to promising Scottish kids coming through, the only caveat is that they need to be good enough!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Mar 2020, 8:41 am

Yeah I've seen a bit of that - some people getting pretty outraged about it and accusing the SRU or all kinds of things.

It is a pretty random signing, but is there really that much difference in signing a kid who will be 18 when he arrives and a 20 year old NSQ player?

He's not being rushed straight into the Scotland team and will probably play a season or two of Super 6 before he gets a look in with Edinburgh.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 06 Mar 2020, 8:44 am

RDW wrote:Edinburgh have signed a teenage centre from South Africa, no doubt having been prompted by teh current South African contingent.

Some of the stuff on social media (mostly from journalists) about this is insane. Someone has well and truly pissed in their porridge. A few calling it an outrage, obscene, disgusting.

Poor lad is just looking for a path to pro rugby, been offered a chance abroad where he knows a few players already and some journos are really getting wound up by it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 06 Mar 2020, 8:47 am

RDW wrote:Yeah I've seen a bit of that - some people getting pretty outraged about it and accusing the SRU or all kinds of things.

It is a pretty random signing, but is there really that much difference in signing a kid who will be 18 when he arrives and a 20 year old NSQ player?

He's not being rushed straight into the Scotland team and will probably play a season or two of Super 6 before he gets a look in with Edinburgh.

Or when Bennett went to Clermont at 18.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Mar 2020, 9:01 am

https://twitter.com/AlasdairReid3/status/1235636597506412545?s=19

This is way OTT

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 06 Mar 2020, 9:05 am

Yeah i commented on it saying just that.

He's posted a lot of things over the last day or so about it, culminating in this.

Think he's really embarrassed himself over this. That is taking things way too far.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 06 Mar 2020, 9:09 am

Tis a little bizarre. No doubt if he ends up being SQ in 5 years time and is good enough to play international they'll all be singing his praises. Good chance for the lad to make a mark whatever he chooses in future. Hopefully will have more longevity than McLelland did when he signed as a teen. Im sure he'll get more club opportunity than he would staying in SA.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Mar 2020, 9:37 am

Jesus wept.

These people walk amoung us. It is frightening.

I've seen Scottish boys being signed up as teengers to go over and play Basketball in the States. The Americans, god love em for all thier faults, don't kick off like this saying Americans are being deprived of oppertunity.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 06 Mar 2020, 10:57 am

People tend to forget as well that when we do have outstanding teenagers developed in Scotland, such as Dobie, Bennett, Gray, Fagerson x 2 and Kinghorn, we have no issue in signing them up as pros straight away as well.

Unfortunately these kids just don't come along very often.

Not being ready at 18 is not a barrier to becoming a professional player, some kids just take a bit longer to grow into it or to develop the right mindset.

Good luck to the kid, whether he stays here with us in Scotland, goes back and plays for South Africa or with whatever else he chooses to do with his life!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 11 Mar 2020, 3:11 pm

Edinburgh have signed Fijian TH Prop Lee-Roy Atalifo.

31yo Jersey Reds player.
13 caps for Fiji.

I'm going to make an assumption that he's going to take over the backup, backup role that Ceccarelli was brought in to do.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 11 Mar 2020, 5:13 pm

Well big Gordy has moved to Northampton Saints out of the blue!

Good move for him, probably on a decent packet too to end his career. Surprising though considering he's an Ayr boy through and through. Maybe he's flying down to East Mids airport every week for training.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Wed 11 Mar 2020, 5:20 pm

It's only til the end of the season so could just be one last hurrah for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 12 Mar 2020, 4:35 pm

No more pro14 then this year. Would be very surprised if the sco wales game continued after that announcement

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 12 Mar 2020, 8:00 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:No more pro14 then this year. Would be very surprised if the sco wales game continued after that announcement

I say we call it now - Edinburgh joint winners Cool

Edinburgh were due to be flying out to SA for a double header next week. Not the easiest if trips to reschedule, if that ever becomes an option.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 22 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next