The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tell us about your game today...

+21
TM2K
EmmDee57
JDizzle
Beer
incontinentia
LadyPutt
Davie
dynamark
Shotrock
Roller_Coaster
JAS
pedro
BlueCoverman
Be_the_ball
superflyweight
I'm never wrong
Plunky
super_realist
beninho
McLaren
navyblueshorts
25 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 19 Empty Tell us about your game today...

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 08 Aug 2019, 2:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

McLaren wrote:Ben

I am not doubting jas and believe him that the guy handed in a score for 51 points. I am just astonished by 51 points, as I said this is a score that I have never seen before. This is more about acknowledging the rarity of this event.

We are talking rarer than a hole in one, this guy has shot a nett score that only a handful people will ever have shot.

It just seems like others on here are not as blown away by a 20 handicapper shooting +5 as I am.
As a junior in the early 80s, I shot a nett 56 (a +4 or 5 round I think) and a 58 in the same Summer. I didn't cheat, but I did get cut a lot that year.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 19 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by JAS Tue 23 Jul 2024, 8:32 am

super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Think I need more 'reps'. Played a stableford comp on Saturday - 29 points. Pretty rubbish, even though there was some good golf in there. The mistakes were too frequent, too dumb and too costly. Alway next time though, I guess!

I heard Woods say he "needed more reps" after his hackeresque exit. I groaned and cringed. Can't this guy say anything a bit more original than that hackneyed term? It's worse than Starmer with his dad being a "tool maker"

Funnily enough…obviously on a completely different scale but I find if I drift in terms of not keeping in decent shape, fitness/flexibility wise, my game/scoring drifts too.

The other thing is you don’t know the extent to which his s body mechanics will have changed due to his injuries, maybe he actually has a point?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Tell us about your game today... - Page 19 Empty Re: Tell us about your game today...

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Jul 2024, 8:51 am

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Think I need more 'reps'. Played a stableford comp on Saturday - 29 points. Pretty rubbish, even though there was some good golf in there. The mistakes were too frequent, too dumb and too costly. Alway next time though, I guess!

I heard Woods say he "needed more reps" after his hackeresque exit. I groaned and cringed. Can't this guy say anything a bit more original than that hackneyed term? It's worse than Starmer with his dad being a "tool maker"

Funnily enough…obviously on a completely different scale but I find if I drift in terms of not keeping in decent shape, fitness/flexibility wise, my game/scoring drifts too.

The other thing is you don’t know the extent to which his s body mechanics will have changed due to his injuries, maybe he actually has a point?

It was more that he uses it as an excuse as to why he's no longer capable rather than accepting he's about as physically capable as Joe Biden, he moves like a 70 year old now.

On a golf level I've had a lesson in the past few weeks and it is has been transformational (maybe I'm a trans golfer now).
Better posture with better weight distribution and a shorter back swing has led to big distance gains and much straighter shots.
Was only hitting a wedge about 115 carry before , now it's 125-130. Excited to see what it might bring on the course when I have practiced more with it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 23 Jul 2024, 9:27 am

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:

It was more that he uses it as an excuse as to why he's no longer capable rather than accepting he's about as physically capable as Joe Biden, he moves like a 70 year old now.

On a golf level I've had a lesson in the past few weeks and it is has been transformational (maybe I'm a trans golfer now).
Better posture with better weight distribution and a shorter back swing has led to big distance gains and much straighter shots.
Was only hitting a wedge about 115 carry before , now it's 125-130. Excited to see what it might bring on the course when I have practiced more with it.

Fair play, I used to have a bit of an issue with overswing and consciously shortening really did make a difference. Interested in the weight distribution bit, did the Pro have you on a footplate?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Jul 2024, 9:49 am

Golf is like anything if you don't keep up with practice and tuition,  you just  fall into bad habits and I certainly had in the year I'd pretty much stopped playing regularly in my first year in Norway.

My weight had moved over my heels and my posture was way too upright, consequently I was adopting a weak position and stance  and bad shots were going right and short.
Footplates are built into the pro's mat and it made an instant difference. If you haven't done that before I'd highly recommend it. I feel like my ball striking is on a different level now with these two changes and I've hit quite a few pins from 150 yards out.

super_realist

JAS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 23 Jul 2024, 10:56 am

I’m going the other way, am a bit caught in 2 minds about getting lesson after lesson again, feel like I know much more now than I ever did and should be able to self correct, but I’ve pretty much exhausted self correction thoughts and still playing Poopie. Maybe I need to start getting angrier at myself again if I want to get back lower. (Really have taken on board the stop self berating advice I was given at Carnoustie and am enjoying my golf but the old JAS would not have tolerated this decline :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 23 Jul 2024, 11:15 am

On a personal level, I find diagnosing my own golf issues difficult. Can see it in others, but difficult to see what you're doing yourself, at least in my experience.

Id try and look at your stats and see where you're leaking shots and work backwards from there. My issue has been GIR for a long time and this has helped to address that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 24 Jul 2024, 10:20 am

super_realist wrote:On a personal level, I find diagnosing my own golf issues difficult. Can see it in others, but difficult to see what you're doing yourself, at least in my experience.

Id try and look at your stats and see where you're leaking shots and work backwards from there. My issue has been GIR for a long time and this has helped to address that.

I video mine occasionally just to check obvious positions, excessive movement etc

Meanwhile, hectic weekend ahead got Captains Day at my old club then heading down to Devon for the Saunton 36 holer on the Sunday. A bit gutted that I'm teeing off early Sat as I'll miss all the fun. Guess who's teeing off near the end?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 24 Jul 2024, 11:10 am

JAS wrote:
super_realist wrote:On a personal level, I find diagnosing my own golf issues difficult. Can see it in others, but difficult to see what you're doing yourself, at least in my experience.

I video mine occasionally just to check obvious positions, excessive movement etc

Meanwhile, hectic weekend ahead got Captains Day at my old club then heading down to Devon for the Saunton 36 holer on the Sunday. A bit gutted that I'm teeing off early Sat as I'll miss all the fun. Guess who's teeing off near the end?

Some Youtuber?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 24 Jul 2024, 5:27 pm

My game today? Hah. Meant to be playing our club championship on Sunday and forecast looks nice. Looking forward to it. However...

Went shopping yesterday. Wasn't paying attention, tripped over a curb & face planted onto the pavement Laugh. Got my right hand out, but not fast enough to break the fall. Have now done all sorts of damage to the ligaments/tendons in my right hand, which currently looks like a small balloon with fingers! Can't grip a club, let alone hit anything. Rather disappointing...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

I'm never wrong likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 24 Jul 2024, 8:27 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:My game today? Hah. Meant to be playing our club championship on Sunday and forecast looks nice. Looking forward to it. However...

Went shopping yesterday. Wasn't paying attention, tripped over a curb & face planted onto the pavement Laugh. Got my right hand out, but not fast enough to break the fall. Have now done all sorts of damage to the ligaments/tendons in my right hand, which currently looks like a small balloon with fingers! Can't grip a club, let alone hit anything. Rather disappointing...
Was on holiday last week in Bordeaux. 2nd day of a weeks holiday. Tripped down some steps. Fractured left ankle. No golf for me for don't know when......Luckily I was able to stream The Open whilst sitting all day in the hotel.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 24 Jul 2024, 8:29 pm

You lads been drinking?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 24 Jul 2024, 8:47 pm

super_realist wrote:You lads been drinking?
Unfortunately not, even though I was in Bordeaux....

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 25 Jul 2024, 10:30 am

Seems to be something about holidays! I was recently on a river cruise on the Seine and we visited WW1 and WW2 battle sites. At the Lochnagar Crater (where miners blew up underneath the German trenches and created a massive crater still there today) we were warmed the ground was uneven but I was so distracted with getting my iPad out to take a photo that I didn't notice the lump of concrete in front of me and went A over T, landing on my arthritic knee. To make matters worse, the only way I could get up was to turn over and kneel on it. It's still bruised 3 weeks later but I'm managing golf with the help of my trusty knee brace and ibuprofen. Having said that, my first couple of rounds back after a two week were pretty good but on Tuesday I had the worst round for many months - no feel at all in my short game. I hope I can sort it out before the competition next Wednesday (for us old fogies over 70!).
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 25 Jul 2024, 11:57 am

LadyPutt wrote:Seems to be something about holidays! I was recently on a river cruise on the Seine and we visited WW1 and WW2 battle sites. At the Lochnagar Crater (where miners blew up underneath the German trenches and created a massive crater still there today) we were warmed the ground was uneven but I was so distracted with getting my iPad out to take a photo that I didn't notice the lump of concrete in front of me and went A over T, landing on my arthritic knee. To make matters worse, the only way I could get up was to turn over and kneel on it. It's still bruised 3 weeks later but I'm managing golf with the help of my trusty knee brace and ibuprofen. Having said that, my first couple of rounds back after a two week were pretty good but on Tuesday I had the worst round for many months - no feel at all in my short game. I hope I can sort it out before the competition next Wednesday (for us old fogies over 70!).

Ouch!! Although saying that, I can’t remember the last time I played without paracetamol & ibuprofen. No adventures to get the pain/injury just in ongoing niggles that get worse during a round.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 25 Jul 2024, 12:01 pm

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:

Some Youtuber?

Howeller, this years Captain is a good mate and they played junior golf together. Should give a whole day a lift, not sure if he’ll be in the comp as such but he’s certainly on the teesheet near the back of the field.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 25 Jul 2024, 1:04 pm

Always liked David Howell. I remember the year he was just about the best player in the world for a few short months.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 25 Jul 2024, 2:42 pm

super_realist wrote:You lads been drinking?
I wish! At least I'd have had an excuse...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sat 27 Jul 2024, 9:07 pm

Another horrible day in a season that is just drifting away. Decent start then the blocks & hooks set in. Just always seem to be constantly struggling at the moment, seriously beginning to wonder if the new placid me is just not right if I want to get back lower.
Chipping & putting is ok, off the tee is better than last year (admittedly low bar) but approaches are just a litany of horrible squandered rubbish. On the bright side I did beat Howeller albeit on count back (and obviously net). Not looking great for tomorrow given how today played out as both Saunton’s are a lot less forgiving than my old home course for wayward approaches. However start with a clean slate and see what happens.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 27 Jul 2024, 10:21 pm

82 for me today. First round back after a busy few weeks of work and life. I hit it pretty well all considering. Chipping and putting were especially good. 82 is bang on handicap for me currently at my home course. Honestly, just about every putt within 6 feet dropped though. So on another day striking it exactly the same I'd likely be slightly over handicap.

First round with a new driver too - well second hand, but new to me! The pro I've had a few lessons with recommended moving into an x-stiff shaft rather than stiff. I found a Ping G400 in x-stiff, decent condition and price, so snapped it up. The stiffer shaft definitely made my swing feel more, well, 'stable' is probably the word for it. A few added yards on the better strikes too. I can still slice one off the planet when I get my swing plane horribly wrong but the G400 is meant to be excellent for forgiveness so that's all on sorting my swing rather than the driver!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 29 Jul 2024, 1:29 pm

JAS wrote:Decent start then the blocks & hooks set in

Check your ball position. Sounds like it's too far back.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 02 Aug 2024, 4:22 pm

McLaren wrote:

A bit late to check it now, the comps been over for a few days. Certainly wouldn’t have been a thing though unless it had been breezy (which it wasn’t) in which case I’d deliberately have had it back a bit on “into” shots

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 03 Aug 2024, 3:44 pm

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:

A bit late to check it now, the comps been over for a few days. Certainly wouldn’t have been a thing though unless it had been breezy (which it wasn’t) in which case I’d deliberately have had it back a bit on “into” shots
Starting right of target, or more or less on target, before hooking?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 06 Aug 2024, 1:01 pm

Talk about an up and down weekend. Sat played with mates on a local course I was a member at years ago. Decent 20 point front 9, birdie free but nice and solid. Back 9 it all went to rat-Poopie, 3 missed fairways and absolutely no 2nd shot (sick of looking at the base of trees!!) 12 points back… horrendous but took the positives.
Sunday stableford at my home club had an absolute nightmare front 9. Ok slightly off but the 2 fairways I missed on front 9… absolutely no 2nd shot, of the missed greens I managed to land in a deep footprint in one bunker. A couple of other bad kicks meant 9 points yes, averaged a point a hole ffs!! However boomed one away on 10. Slight dogleg, one of them that’s driver into wind, downwind 3 wood is usually safer to ensure you don’t run out of fairway. So driver into wind…yep through fairway and into bush. Poor recovery another blob and thinking… wtf have I done to upset Lady Luck so much. On 11 my poorest tee shot of the day pulled into trees. Hit a decent recovery wedged on and sunk the putt for a bird (Par 5) ended up shooting level par for the last 8 holes for 21 back and 30 overall.
I’m clearly not fully in any sort of groove by any means but putting Saturdays front and Sundays back 9 together would be 41 points (conversely the other way round would be 21). Got Woburn tomorrow in a seniors event, no clue what I’m going to shoot, I’ll take it as it comes. obviously I’d like it to be nearer 40 than 20. With some neutral luck it could be but who knows. IF luck balances out over the week I should have some stray drives hitting trees and coming back onto fairways, not holding my breath on that though. I remember Players quip “The more I practice, the luckier I get”

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 06 Aug 2024, 2:47 pm

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:

The point is you don't know it's too far back. Get an alignment stick out.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 09 Aug 2024, 1:36 pm

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:

What makes you think I don’t use alignment sticks on the range? More intriguingly what makes you think I don’t know whether or not its too far back on the course?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 09 Aug 2024, 2:45 pm

First game of golf since I fractured my ankle a month ago. Only 3 over handicap, so we'll pleased. Used a buggy today, and will do so for the next couple or so just to be safe.

I'm never wrong

king_carlos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 12 Aug 2024, 7:13 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:I very much treat chips like a putt. Line is crucial. I'm not really concerned with the hole, more where I want to land the ball and how it's going to run out.
What I notice in poor chippers is people snatching at it, not thinking about where to land, a closed stance and worst of all using far too much loft. The shortest route is the straightest, so why do so many double the length by needlessly trying to flop straightforward chips 20 feet in the air?
Chipping is also probably the most fun to practice. I only ever use 10 balls at a time so it's easy to work out what % I am getting up and down, then move onto a new position.

Agree with this, particularly about visualising where I want a chip to land and its roll out. I also stopped fannying around with using a load of different clubs to chip with a year or so back; generally I now stick with just the one (52°) and have more or less learnt its playing characteristics properly.

Have to say chipping is by some distance my favourite part of the game to practice. I could literally spend hours on it and not get bored. I think it’s also the part of my game that has had the biggest impact on me getting and staying low in terms of hcp (and now that it’s in a bit of transition I shouldn’t really be surprised that my hcp has drifted up.

Transition? Well, I’ve dabbled this year in going in the opposite direction to you Navy as well as bedding in new wedges. I used to instinctively and with very little conscious thinking grab my 56 deg and manage nearly everything from 40 yards in. Over the winter I read Dave Pelz’s short game bible and so I’m working on the 50-100 yard stuff using the “clock” positions and dead hands. Closer in I’ve been pouring over Dan Grieve vids. He’s a great advocate of using the appropriate club for the shot around the green and NOT get wedded to a single club. I’m persevering with that for now but I’m still not 100% convinced it’s the right thing for me.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 12 Aug 2024, 4:14 pm

JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:

What makes you think I don’t use alignment sticks on the range? More intriguingly what makes you think I don’t know whether or not its too far back on the course?

Fine, have it your own way. Keep hitting poor shots that are so east to fix.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 13 Aug 2024, 12:37 pm

McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:
JAS wrote:
McLaren wrote:

Fine, have it your own way. Keep hitting poor shots that are so east to fix.

Actually I think I have fixed it, pretty sure I was swaying or at least having excessive head movement. Last 3 rounds I’ve focussed on a blade of grass half an inch behind the ball and maintained that stare from address through to impact….boom!! 1 lapse in 3 rounds. Woburn was still a poor score for other reasons but Saturdays medal was steady and under hcp for the first time in several rounds and triggered a bit of a confidence lift. Last night in the scratch matchplay at my old place I took out a 14 year old 2 handicapper who’s been improving hugely this year. Apart from hooking a ball into the hay out of an old divot on 14 I was level par when I closed that match out on 16

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 13 Aug 2024, 3:54 pm

It's crazy the weird fixes golfers will come up with instead of getting the fundamentals correct.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 13 Aug 2024, 4:08 pm

McLaren wrote:It's crazy the weird fixes golfers will come up with instead of getting the fundamentals correct.

It's crazy (and arrogant) that people think they can accurately diagnose problems without seeing the swing.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

LadyPutt and navyblueshorts like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 13 Aug 2024, 5:11 pm

superflyweight wrote:
McLaren wrote:It's crazy the weird fixes golfers will come up with instead of getting the fundamentals correct.

It's crazy (and arrogant) that people think they can accurately diagnose problems without seeing the swing.

Yeah I know Super, I almost feel guilty about stating the facts backed up by evidence (scores) that blows Mac’s theory out the water :-p

So go on then Butch Mac Harman what fundamentals are not correct. Also why is keeping the head still a weird fix??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Aug 2024, 12:16 am

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 16 Aug 2024, 8:39 am

McLaren wrote:

Ok, I appreciate that you’re trying to help so I’ll make it REALLY simple for you, 1. I’m not Paddy’s pro-am partner 2. there’s one word in my original post that you’ve clearly missed and it starts with an e.

Ironically, apart from that, when one drifts into a lateral sway, one of the likely scenarios at impact (unless timing is spot on) is that what you were guessing was a problem at address I.e. ball position CAN become a factor.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 16 Aug 2024, 1:40 pm

Jas

Just explain why you are so defensive about having a poor ball position?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 16 Aug 2024, 3:10 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas

Drop it? You have no evidence he has a poor ball position. There are many factors that could play into a hook.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

LadyPutt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 16 Aug 2024, 3:14 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas

What, like make something up to humour you? Did you mean poor ball position at address or at impact?

But either way I'd refer you back to the earlier post from Superfly, you are making assumptions about ball position not having seen any actual evidence...not like you.

There is nothing to defend I do occasionally video my swing so I can see clearly what I do and don't do. I'm pretty sure I haven't sent you any vids. That's not being defensive that's being factual (fast disappearing trait in the modern world)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Sep 2024, 11:35 am

Still turning the corner. Managed 2nd place in my division in county Divisionals yesterday and 5th overall. Back down to 7.9 (had gone as high as 8.9) so definitely trending in right direction. What didn’t help yesterday (or actually maybe it did) was return flight from Gran Canaria being late and me not crawling into bed until 4:00am, so rocked up knackered less than 4 hours sleep with zero expectation. I was going to say zero preparation but had 3 very enjoyable rounds in GC 2 at Anfi Tauro and the other at Meloneras, the latter ending with 2 birdies in last 3 holes (missed eagle putts). I know holiday golf  is different but my view is if you can’t play and score decent when you’re relaxed then you’re even less likely to perform under competition pressure. Seem to be back in a place where I’m executing the shot I want to hit most of the time. Only had one real  brain fart yesterday off what was my worst drive of the day, went with 3 wood 2nd shot of what was a decent lie in light rough when all I needed to do was 8 or 9  then wedge. 3 wood blocked and clattered trees. Ended up with a silly double, which should have been a straightforward par. Never mind, pleased overall at progress and a bit disappointed season coming to and end.

JAS

navyblueshorts and BlueCoverman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 02 Sep 2024, 1:27 pm

Played first round (Medal comp) for ~6 weeks on Saturday. Frustrating, but shouldn't be surprising given lack of recent playing time. Just too damned inconsistent/made too many dull errors from good positions.

On the plus side, took a punt on a recent eBay purchase of a TaylorMade SIM Pro DHy 2-iron equivalent. That is staying in the bag!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 02 Sep 2024, 2:41 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:Played first round (Medal comp) for ~6 weeks on Saturday. Frustrating, but shouldn't be surprising given lack of recent playing time. Just too damned inconsistent/made too many dull errors from good positions.

On the plus side, took a punt on a recent eBay purchase of a TaylorMade SIM Pro DHy 2-iron equivalent. That is staying in the bag!

It is amazing how much sharpness dives when not playing regular. I’m sure there’s a sweet spot to find in terms of playing and practice and obviously practice content. Not 100% where that is and it won’t be the same for everybody. Do you find as well Navy that when you’ve had a bit of a break and you come back, you do swing more freely and hit some cracking shots but it’s the higher tariff shots particularly around the greens that start eroding a potential good score?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Mon 02 Sep 2024, 2:50 pm

I've moved back to Edinburgh, hence a new course. It's also meant playing far less for a month or so whilst sorting the move and new job.

I've got an Edinburgh Leisure (the council run sports stuff) membership. It's insane value. Access to 6 courses (4 x 18 hole, 1 x 9 hole, 1 x 9 hole par three) for £34.25 as a 'bolt on' to a gym membership. If being pedantic, the gym membership is around £8/month more expensive than equivalent membership at the cheaper chain gyms. The Edi Leisure gyms are very well equipped and maintained, also not too busy though, so a good deal there too. So even adding on the slightly more expensive gym membership, it's access to 6 courses in Edinburgh for pretty much £500/year. I'm lucky that the best considered course included is the closest to me. Braids Hills.

Braids is a lovely course. The upkeep is excellent IMO for a council course at that value. Some tee boxes are a bit rough as they are ending the summer season, but that's my only gripe. I've definitely seen much worse at more expensive private courses. The greens are generally very good indeed. It's a funky course. Very hilly, plenty of blind shots. That's similar to my previous home course though. It's something I used to and quite like. I know courses like that can be marmite though. You either find them characterful or infuriating. Thankfully, I'm in the former camp.

I've played two rounds so far. One 18 hole and one 9 hole. The 18 holes was my first time touching a club in weeks, first time playing Braids and 20+mph winds on an exposed course. It was very mixed. I was -1 after 6. That included a chip in and two long putts dropping. 7/8/9 then went triple bogey (lost ball), bogey (missed an up and down), quadruple bogey (lost ball followed by a drop for unplayable lie). Which put me + 7 after the front 9. Laugh The back nine went just as poorly as the wind really picked up, the direction meant I largely had it into my face or left to right. Neither of which is ideal when my miss is a slice! 21 over for the round. I still had a cracking day out, just enjoyed being back on the course.

The nine holes I squeezed in at twilight was really good until the 9th. I was +1 after 8. Putting and chipping really well. Keeping the ball in play. I then sliced two tee shots into deep stuff on 9 to end up 5 off the tee. I got up and down for a "par with my third tee shot" as my playing partner kindly put it. Which was still a quadruple bogey. That frustrating end meant I still carded +5 for 9 though. Which as a 13 handicap who hasn't been playing as much recently is still a good round.

As much as anything, I'm just happy to have an affordable course near enough that I'll be able to get out regularly. I've also joined a separate club which uses Braids as its home. So hopefully I'll be able to get involved in comps as work settles back down.

king_carlos

navyblueshorts, BlueCoverman and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 02 Sep 2024, 5:23 pm

JAS wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:Played first round (Medal comp) for ~6 weeks on Saturday. Frustrating, but shouldn't be surprising given lack of recent playing time. Just too damned inconsistent/made too many dull errors from good positions.

It is amazing how much sharpness dives when not playing regular.  I’m sure there’s a sweet spot to find in terms of playing and practice and obviously practice content. Not 100% where that is and it won’t be the same for everybody. Do you find as well Navy that when you’ve had a bit of a break and you come back, you do swing more freely and hit some cracking shots but it’s the higher tariff shots particularly around the greens that start eroding a potential good score?
Yeah; to some extent. That said, the high tariff shots always make me focus simply because they're an obvious challenge, so I've not found them to be the worst culprits re. a dumb error. For me it's much more likely to be 'easier' shots that I **** up. A few cases in point:

1 - melted that new DHy 2i up a shortish par 4, leaving ~80 yards. Caught a SW half fat. Front bunker. Bogey.
2 - nailed another DHy 2i up another mid-length par 4. Great 50° from ~100 yards to ~12 feet. Charged downhill first putt. 3-putt. Bogey. Moron.
3 - great drive up our stroke 2 par 4 (~420, uphill, into the breeze). Great 6i (meant to take 5i from the bag, but that SNAFU is another story!) just short. Easy chip - slightly fat and ~6 ft short. Missed putt. Grr.
4 - good drive up our 16th (par 4, ~350), leaving a nice ~100 yards. Ideal for my 50° into the breeze. Thinned through back. Bogey.

Still, frustrating though it is, part of me likes the game simply because it's anything but easy and even on the best days, you know you could do better and it's never mastered.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Mon 02 Sep 2024, 5:47 pm

JAS wrote:Still turning the corner. Managed 2nd place in my division in county Divisionals yesterday and 5th overall. Back down to 7.9 (had gone as high as 8.9) so definitely trending in right direction. What didn’t help yesterday (or actually maybe it did) was return flight from Gran Canaria being late and me not crawling into bed until 4:00am, so rocked up knackered less than 4 hours sleep with zero expectation. I was going to say zero preparation but had 3 very enjoyable rounds in GC 2 at Anfi Tauro and the other at Meloneras, the latter ending with 2 birdies in last 3 holes (missed eagle putts). I know holiday golf  is different but my view is if you can’t play and score decent when you’re relaxed then you’re even less likely to perform under competition pressure. Seem to be back in a place where I’m executing the shot I want to hit most of the time. Only had one real  brain fart yesterday off what was my worst drive of the day, went with 3 wood 2nd shot of what was a decent lie in light rough when all I needed to do was 8 or 9  then wedge. 3 wood blocked and clattered trees. Ended up with a silly double, which should have been a straightforward par. Never mind, pleased overall at progress and a bit disappointed season coming to and end.

What did you think of Anfi Tauro JAS?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 03 Sep 2024, 12:42 pm

Glad I had a buggy Blue!! Although to be fair it would have been a good cardio work out to walk :-p First 2-3 holes a wee bit bland but from 4th Tee onwards plenty of wow vistas. Thought the greens were fabulous (but tricky). Played once off yellows and once off whites, very different tests. Whilst the was some light rough there was never any danger of losing a ball in it. Only thing I didn’t like quite so much is that range ain’t close to start and didn’t open until 9:00am but apart from that very enjoyable.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Tue 03 Sep 2024, 3:53 pm

JAS wrote:Glad I had a buggy Blue!! Although to be fair it would have been a good cardio work out to walk :-p First 2-3 holes a wee bit bland but from 4th Tee onwards plenty of wow vistas. Thought the greens were fabulous (but tricky). Played once off yellows and once off whites, very different tests. Whilst the was some light  rough there was never any danger of losing a ball in it.  Only thing I didn’t like quite so much is that range  ain’t close to start and didn’t open until 9:00am but apart from that very enjoyable.

I played Anfi Tauro, and Meloneras, while on holiday in GC last July; loved Anfi Tauro. especially the back 9, 13 & 14 are particularly memorable but some of the views/backdrops were incredible. Meloneras was decent too, front 9 a bit samey but back 9 going out nearer the sea was pretty good. Would recommend both to be honest.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 03 Sep 2024, 7:37 pm

JAS wrote:Glad I had a buggy Blue!! Although to be fair it would have been a good cardio work out to walk :-p First 2-3 holes a wee bit bland but from 4th Tee onwards plenty of wow vistas. Thought the greens were fabulous (but tricky). Played once off yellows and once off whites, very different tests. Whilst the was some light  rough there was never any danger of losing a ball in it.  Only thing I didn’t like quite so much is that range  ain’t close to start and didn’t open until 9:00am but apart from that very enjoyable.

Yes indeed JAS, very few people will be walking this one I think! We played it twice in March, we didn't chance the whites though as the yellows were a sufficient enough challenge for us! A pretty amazing creation carved through the surrounding mountainside. We enjoyed it as well, when we were there some areas off the fairways were a little scruffy, but fun to play and a good test and definitely worth a visit. Agree with you about the range though, one day we were a bit pushed and didn't have enough time to get there. Something I never like to do is not hit a few balls before heading for the first tee.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 03 Sep 2024, 7:47 pm

ralphjohn69 wrote:

I played Anfi Tauro, and Meloneras, while on holiday in GC last July; loved Anfi Tauro. especially the back 9, 13 & 14 are particularly memorable but some of the views/backdrops were incredible.  Meloneras was decent too, front 9 a bit samey but back 9 going out nearer the sea was pretty good.  Would recommend both to be honest.

We played both courses twice in March and would also recommend both. We also played Maspalomas which is the least challenging of the three. Still most pleasant though and set in a very quiet and peaceful surrounding, alongside the sand dunes. Pretty flat with hardly any undulation and very easily walkable for those people that may be ready for a less demanding day.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 04 Sep 2024, 10:04 am

king_carlos wrote:I've moved back to Edinburgh, hence a new course. It's also meant playing far less for a month or so whilst sorting the move and new job.

I love the Braids and I've had the Edinburgh Leisure pass in the past. For me the Braids is the best course inside the Bypass. I would put it ahead of Bruntsfield, Burgess and Mortonhall.

The condition of the Braids can sometimes surprise. I played the Dispatch earlier this season and it was immaculate.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19