The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The French Open 2020

+21
dummy_half
It Must Be Love
lydian
88Chris05
Haddie-nuff
Galted
Atila
ebar86
bradman99.94
JuliusHMarx
Oioi
CaledonianCraig
lags72
No name Bertie
Positively 4th Street
slashermcguirk
Duty281
Soul Requiem
MrInvisible
theslosty
sirfredperry
25 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

The French Open 2020 Empty The French Open 2020

Post by sirfredperry Thu 24 Sep 2020, 5:38 pm

With the draw about to be made for RG, I thought I would get this topic going.

For me - and I say this every year - Rafa is clear favourite, although the strange nature of all sport this Covid-19 year might mean someone else (Thiem? Djoko?) might have a chance.

Halep stands out as the women's favourite, particularly as some of the top women are not appearing. More on this after the draw.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

The French Open 2020 Empty Re: The French Open 2020

Post by Guest Thu 24 Sep 2020, 5:43 pm

Nadal gets Zverev in his quarter and Thiem as his potential semi final.
Djokovic gets Berrettini as his quarter and Medvedev/Tsitsipas as potential semi final

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 24 Sep 2020, 5:49 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:Nadal gets Zverev in his quarter and Thiem as his potential semi final.
Djokovic gets Berrettini as his quarter and Medvedev/Tsitsipas as potential semi final

Good news for Djoko whose odds, presumably, will shorten now, while Thiem's will lengthen.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 24 Sep 2020, 6:11 pm

Just heard that Andy M has got Stan the Man in the first round. Horrible draw for both players.

Later: More awful draws for GB players. Evans gets Nishi, while Konta has Gauff. Kyle Edmund, meanwhile, has pulled out.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep 2020, 9:59 am

sirfredperry wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:Nadal gets Zverev in his quarter and Thiem as his potential semi final.

Good news for Djoko whose odds, presumably, will shorten now, while Thiem's will lengthen.
Tbh it think it’s too soon for Thiem. All that effort and emotion used in New York, wouldn’t be surprised if he goes in week 1. Hope I’m wrong but that’s my feeling atm.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 25 Sep 2020, 1:57 pm

JN - Yes, it's not an awful lot of time between the two Slams for Thiem.

But in some ways the pressure is off for him. He's won a Slam and he is not the clear favourite in Paris. I'd be surprised if he went out early.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:20 pm

I still see Nadal as the man to beat despite his shock defeat in Rome last week. A lot will also depend on how Djokovic is mentally with this slam coming so soon after his mental implosion in New York. If last week is anything to go by he has put it behind him though. It is between Nadal and Djokovic for me.

Match of the First Round definitely Andy V Stan.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Sep 2020, 5:45 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Match of the First Round definitely Andy V Stan.

Quite like the look of Bautista Agut v Gasquet & Cilic v Thiem

If Stan turns up, he should see off Andy and be relatively comfortable, maybe in four sets. Murray is nowhere near the elite level anymore, and the way FAA dismantled him in New York, showcases how far away he is right now. Wawrinka, on his best surface, is a clear favourite.

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 25 Sep 2020, 9:44 pm

I'm picking Djokovic to win the tournament. Initially because the draw is on his side, with Nadal and Thiem potentially facing off each other in the semis.
And secondly if conditions in Paris are cold and heavy, that is going to suit Novak's flatter groundstrokes and neutralise the extra pace and spin that Nadal and Thiem play with. Thiem is possibly less affected than Nadal as he will still be capable of hitting through the court with that explosive power he has.
However Thiem hasn't had that much time to prepare for the claycourts having skipped Rome. Physically and mentally he should be fine but technically and tactically may not be as finely tuned as he would like.
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Fri 25 Sep 2020, 10:41 pm

Agree that the draw is a nightmare for the British players, though it has been kind to Norrie who gets a lucky loser then a potentially winnable 2nd round against Sandgren/Hurkacz before facing Djokovic in 3rd round.

Djokovic has an easy 1st week though should get tested from 4th round onwards- his projected draw is: 1st round: Ymer, 2nd round: Dellien/Berankis, 3rd round: Norrie/Sandgren/Hurkacz, 4th round: Khachanov, quarter-finals: Bautista Agut/Carreno Busta/Berrettini, semis: Medvedev/Rublev/Tsitsipas

Nadal potentially has one of the toughest draws he's ever had at Roland Garros - Nishikori has pushed him hard on clay before (though remains to be seen what shape he's in) whilst Fognini is decent on the clay and has beaten Nadal in slam (5 setter at US Open several years ago) - his draw is: 1st round: Gerasimov, 2nd round: McDonald, 3rd round: Nishikori, 4th round: Fognini, quarter-finals: Zverev, semis: Thiem

If it's a Djokovic v Nadal final I can certainly see Novak being the fresher of the two.

Thiem's projected draw is: 1st round: Cilic (tough opener!), 2nd round: Opelka/Sock, 3rd round: Ruud, 4th round: Auger Aliassime/Wawrinka, quarters: Schwartzman/Coric/Monfils, semis: Nadal

Will be interesting to see how the heavier conditions affect the players. Looking forward to it - hopefully ITV4 will be showing matches as they have been in previous years.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 26 Sep 2020, 3:36 pm

ITV4 (Channel 24) is, indeed, having the tennis again, with Inverdale hosting.

Rafa is not happy. He's not happy with the weather, he's not happy with the Wilson balls they're using this year.

Still think he'll be happy enough come Sunday October 11.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 26 Sep 2020, 4:15 pm

Just John wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:Match of the First Round definitely Andy V Stan.

Quite like the look of Bautista Agut v Gasquet & Cilic v Thiem

If Stan turns up, he should see off Andy and be relatively comfortable, maybe in four sets. Murray is nowhere near the elite level anymore, and the way FAA dismantled him in New York, showcases how far away he is right now. Wawrinka, on his best surface, is a clear favourite.

Murray against Wawrinka is unfortunately an inconsequential match which has name appeal but not a lot else, it won't live up to anything.

Hoping Thiem does us all a favour and wins again, would be pretty shameful for Nadal to draw level with the greatest under these circumstances.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 5:11 pm

Should be a straight sets demolition job for Wawrinka over Murray.

Tournament as a whole - can't see beyond a Nadal/Djoko final with Nadal winning. If anyone is going to spring an upset, I think it'll be Tsitsipas.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Sep 2020, 5:40 pm

I don’t get the doom and gloom surrounding Andy Murray tbh. Yes he’s not the same player anymore, but Stan Wawrinka got absolutely hammered at Rome by the young Italian sensation Lorenzo Musetti. If Wawrinka plays like that again Murray has as good a chance as anyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 26 Sep 2020, 5:53 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:I don’t get the doom and gloom surrounding Andy Murray tbh. Yes he’s not the same player anymore, but Stan Wawrinka got absolutely hammered at Rome by the young Italian sensation Lorenzo Musetti. If Wawrinka plays like that again Murray has as good a chance as anyone.

I get the doom and it has Jack to do with tennis.

I wonder who won the last time these two played each other? Clue the answer is not Wawrinka.

Anyways enjoy the tournament folks. I doubt I will be posting here during it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 6:20 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:I don’t get the doom and gloom surrounding Andy Murray tbh. Yes he’s not the same player anymore, but Stan Wawrinka got absolutely hammered at Rome by the young Italian sensation Lorenzo Musetti. If Wawrinka plays like that again Murray has as good a chance as anyone.

I get the doom and it has Jack to do with tennis.

I wonder who won the last time these two played each other? Clue the answer is not Wawrinka.

Anyways enjoy the tournament folks. I doubt I will be posting here during it.

What does it have to do with then? Wawrinka is 4-1 vs Murray on clay and all five of those matches came before Murray's serious injury which drastically reduced his capability as a player. There's not a big argument for Murray winning (unless Wawrinka's carrying an injury himself), is there?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 26 Sep 2020, 6:29 pm

Simple a pure dislike of Murray.

Where have I suggested Murray will win? I take umbrage at comments like 'demolition job' or their match being described as 'inconsequential'. What utter crap.

The fact these comments come with Murray around a month into a comeback from hip surgery is even more mind-blowing considering how much tournament tennis he has played in the last two years. Its pretty pathetic reading posts deriding him already considering what he has gone through to get back onto court. Returning after so long out takes ages to recover form/confidence/match fitness. Ask any sportsman and they will all confirm that.

Anyways like I said enjoy the tournament folks.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 6:38 pm

I haven't suggested you've suggested Murray will win. I'm just wondering if there's anything pointing to his favour in this game?

I think it will be a straight sets demolition job, yes, similar to FAA's win over Murray, though I hope I'm wrong because I have no dislike of Murray. As I've said before, it pains me to watch him strive so hard just to be half as good as he was in his prime.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 26 Sep 2020, 6:49 pm

Duty281 wrote:I haven't suggested you've suggested Murray will win. I'm just wondering if there's anything pointing to his favour in this game?

I think it will be a straight sets demolition job, yes, similar to FAA's win over Murray, though I hope I'm wrong because I have no dislike of Murray. As I've said before, it pains me to watch him strive so hard just to be half as good as he was in his prime.

You see there you go again with  'it pains me to watch him strive so hard just to be half as good as he was in his prime'. You are making it sound like his comeback has been under way for a year. It has not. It is just 5 matches in over a month and you have perhaps seen a couple of those matches or maybe three and you are judging him on that!! Far too harsh especially if you care to consider one of his wins came against US Open runner-up Zverev. If you are looking for things to point in his favour then the last time they played Murray won against him in last November's European Open. Murray has also beaten Stan at Roland Garos in a semi in 2016. And head-to-head Murray leads 12-8. Wawrinka is the better clay courter and comes in having acclimatised with two clay court tournaments whereas Murray has not. I'll judge how he plays and moves rather than the result as should be the way when someone is coming back from career-threatening long-term injury and not just screaming out he is finished just because (if he does) lose against a highly efficient clay court player and former French Open champion.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Sat 26 Sep 2020, 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 26 Sep 2020, 6:53 pm

CC - Please don't carry our your threat to not post during RG. The more posts, the merrier.

We aint got a lot of contributors on here at the moment. We need you.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:06 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I haven't suggested you've suggested Murray will win. I'm just wondering if there's anything pointing to his favour in this game?

You see there you go again with  'it pains me to watch him strive so hard just to be half as good as he was in his prime'. You are making it sound like his comeback has been under way for a year. It has not. It is just 5 matches in over a month and you have perhaps seen a couple of those matches or maybe three and you are judging him on that!! Far too harsh especially if you care to consider one of his wins came against US Open runner-up Zverev. If you are looking for things to point in his favour then the last time they played Murray won against him in last November's European Open. Murray has also beaten Stan at Roland Garos in a semi in 2016. And head-to-head Murray leads 12-8. Wawrinka is the better clay courter and comes in having acclimatised with two clay court tournaments whereas Murray has not. I'll judge how he plays and moves rather than the result as should be the way when someone is coming back from career-threatening long-term injury and not just screaming out he is finished just because (if he does) lose against a highly efficient clay court player and former French Open champion.

Murray's never getting back to his prime. That's the long and short of it. He's the wrong side of 30 and his injury has robbed him of a fairy-tale career ending. It's tough but that's sport. His injury, the first one back in 2017, finished his career at the elite level where he challenged for GSs, losing to players such as Wawrinka is just a symptom of it.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 27 Sep 2020, 1:19 am

Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Murray's never getting back to his prime. That's the long and short of it. He's the wrong side of 30 and his injury has robbed him of a fairy-tale career ending. It's tough but that's sport. His injury, the first one back in 2017, finished his career at the elite level where he challenged for GSs, losing to players such as Wawrinka is just a symptom of it.

This seems like a bizarre statement. Wawrinka is a triple major champion - in fact he’s won 3 different major tournaments. There’s no shame in losing to a player of that level.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 8:12 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

This seems like a bizarre statement. Wawrinka is a triple major champion - in fact he’s won 3 different major tournaments. There’s no shame in losing to a player of that level.

A clear dislike of a player will bring out bizarre statements and very odd. How would Duty describe Zverev - the US Open runner-up who Murray beat just two matches into his comeback?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sun 27 Sep 2020, 8:41 am

A clear dislike of a player, how did you come to that irrational opinion then Craig?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 8:52 am

It will be interesting to see how the new roof on Philipe Chatrier court looks and plays when it is shut. It now means that all four slam tournaments show court has a retractable roof.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

slashermcguirk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 27 Sep 2020, 10:32 am

Haven’t been on here for a while. Looking forward to the French open, could be an interesting one and more unpredictable than previous ones. Colder weather will result in slower balls and spin will have less impact.

Nadal still big favourite but if djokovic gets to final I give him an outside chance if the weather is cooler. Thiem always a danger man but after the mental and physical exertion it’s a tall order.

Some players in form and to watch out for are Schwartzman and Ruud.

Wawrinka va Murray could be a great match, really good to see both back playing. Wish them both well on their comeback. Cilic a tough opener for Thiem but he doesn’t seem the player he was.

As for US open was great to see Thiem win a well deserved slam. As a Novak fan, he had to be defaulted, was very careless although the lines person seemed to really milk it and it was certainly unintentional. The rules are the rules though, they had no option but to default him.

Bring on the clay, I would go with Nadal but with a much lower level of certainty than ever before. Wet and cold weather could really make a big difference but you still have to win 3 sets vs Nadal on clay !

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 10:34 am

Bizarre opening match on Suzanne Lenglen court. Vikroria Azarenka walks off court when leading 2-1. She was unhappy with conditions and was not prepared to sit and wait saying it was too cold for her as she is from Florida without awaiting an official decision she encouraged Kovicic to leave with her. Meanwhile, play continues on every other court.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 10:36 am

slashermcguirk wrote:Haven’t been on here for a while. Looking forward to the French open, could be an interesting one and more unpredictable than previous ones. Colder weather will result in slower balls and spin will have less impact.

Nadal still big favourite but if djokovic gets to final I give him an outside chance if the weather is cooler. Thiem always a danger man but after the mental and physical exertion it’s a tall order.

Some players in form and to watch out for are Schwartzman and Ruud.

Wawrinka va Murray could be a great match, really good to see both back playing. Wish them both well on their comeback. Cilic a tough opener for Thiem but he doesn’t seem the player he was.

As for US open was great to see Thiem win a well deserved slam. As a Novak fan, he had to be defaulted, was very careless although the lines person seemed to really milk it and it was certainly unintentional. The rules are the rules though, they had no option but to default him.

Bring on the clay, I would go with Nadal but with a much lower level of certainty than ever before. Wet and cold weather could really make a big difference but you still have to win 3 sets vs Nadal on clay !

A warm welcome back slasher. I think Novak's chances improved quite a bit with Thiem being drawn in Nadal's half. He may also be able to use his US Open default as motivation too. Rafa does not seem to have had the ideal preparation and his mind does not seem to be in the right place either.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

slashermcguirk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 10:51 am

One noticable thing about the roofed Philipe Chatrier court is that it is dark. When it is closed it gives the impression it is being played at night under lights.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 27 Sep 2020, 10:52 am

Not sure Azarenka was in her rights to walk off due to it being too cold.

If I'd been officiating I would have suggested she put more clothes on. (I'm biased. I play outside the whole year and often start wearing several layers).

Does mean we can watch (ITV4) Sinner v Goffin which could be a terrific match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:02 am

Perhaps a shock brewing as young Italian Sinner takes the first set 7-5 against No 11 seed David Goffin.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:18 am

Sinner now a break up in the second set leading Goffin 7-5 3-0.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:21 am

Goffin looking out of sorts. Sinner - who I'd not seen before - not only hitting big shots but defending well, too.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:23 am

Yes CC, should be an interesting one. Really curious to see how Wawrinka and Murray play. Really nice to see them on Chatrier again.

It does feel like there may be some big shocks in this tournament, a lot of potential banana skins. Goffin seeing that already. Cooler conditions make it very interesting. Also wonder how Medvedev and Tsitsipas perform

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:29 am

Well Sinner now looks odds-on to go two sets up on Goffin. The 19-year-old Italian has won seven games on the bounce.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:30 am

Jeff Navarro wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

I mis-worded that. I should have said being such a massive underdog against Wawrinka is a symptom of it - prime Murray would be a favourite against Wawrinka.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:32 am

Sinner now two sets to love up.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:33 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Jeff Navarro wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

A clear dislike of a player will bring out bizarre statements and very odd. How would Duty describe Zverev - the US Open runner-up who Murray beat just two matches into his comeback?

Please stop with this fiction. I have no dislike of Murray. It's clear that your intense like of this player leads to some incredible bias, where you can't bear to hear criticism of him.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:42 am

sirfredperry wrote:Sinner now two sets to love up.

And a break up in the third. This one looks done and dusted with the No 11 seed crashing out.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:43 am

Sinner has now taken 10 games* in a row and Goffin seems to have no answer. Numerous UEs don't help.

Seen guys come back from here, though.

*Make that 11.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 11:45 am

sirfredperry wrote:Sinner has now taken 10 games in a row and Goffin seems to have no answer. Numerous UEs don't help.

Seen guys come back from here, though.

Yes that is true but Goffin does not look like a man about to stir himself for a comeback.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 12:09 pm

And Sinner wins 7-5 6-0 6-3. The No 11 seed crashes out. Very good start for Dan Evans who leads Kei Nishikori 4-1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 27 Sep 2020, 12:11 pm

All over for Goffin who lost 7-5, 6-0, 6-3. Kept waiting for the fightback but it never came.

Dan Evans now on against Nishi and Dan is already a double break up in the first set.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Sun 27 Sep 2020, 12:54 pm

So Goffin is the first upset - the Belgian has a good claycourt game but clearly came up against a dangerous in-form player.

Rain delay on now - Evans will probably be happy given how Nishikori has the momentum having turned match round to take the 2nd set. In the 1st set Evans played his natural hustling game to great effect but in 2nd set Nishikori has managed to lengthen the rallies and get into a rhythm.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 27 Sep 2020, 1:25 pm

Nishikori is a lovely player to watch when in the zone. Really talented ball striker

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sun 27 Sep 2020, 1:59 pm

Just as i say it, Nishikori playing like a club hacker

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 2:04 pm

slashermcguirk wrote:Just as i say it, Nishikori playing like a club hacker

Fair to say he is just coming back from a long time out through injury. Evans back from the dead in this third set with the tie-breaker under way.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 2:05 pm

Whoever wins this tie-breaker wins the match for me.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 2:09 pm

Nishikori takes the tie-break (7-3) and leads 1-6 6-1 7-6.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 27 Sep 2020, 2:40 pm

Evans digging in deep and looks good to level at two sets all. How will Nishikori's fitness hold out now as he has been off the circuit for some time?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next