The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Champions Cup Knockouts thread

+26
Welly
rosbif
Oakdene
Old Man
profitius
nathan
LeinsterFan4life
Brendan
Collapse2005
lostinwales
Geordie
Duty281
y ddraig goch
BigTrevsbigmac
TheMildlyFranticLlama
No 7&1/2
RiscaGame
Heaf
TightHEAD
jimbopip
geoff999rugby
BamBam
westisbest
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
thebandwagonsociety
30 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Champions Cup Knockouts thread - Page 6 Empty Champions Cup Knockouts thread

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 01 Apr 2021, 1:35 pm

First topic message reminder :

Semi Final Fixtures
Champions Cup
The semi-final fixtures, which will be played on the weekend of 30 April – 1/2 May, are confirmed as follows:
La Rochelle v Leinster Rugby, Stade Marcel Deflandre
Toulouse v Bordeaux-Bègles, Stade Ernest Wallon

CHALLENGE CUP
Leicester Tigers v Ulster Rugby, Mattioli Woods Welford Road
Bath Rugby v Montpellier, The Recreation Ground

Quarter Final Fixtures
Champions Cup

Saturday
La Rochelle  v Sale (15:00)
Exeter v Leinster (17:30)

Sunday
Bordeaux Begles v Racing 92 (12:30)
Clermont Auvergne v Toulouse  (15:00)

Challenge Cup

Friday
Bath v London IRish (20:00)

Saturday
Leicester v Newcastle (12:30)
Montpelier v Benetton (21:00) (is this local time?)
Northampton v Ulster (20:00)
Sunday

Last edited by thebandwagonsociety on Mon 12 Apr 2021, 9:54 am; edited 3 times in total

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Knockouts thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Champions Cup Knockouts thread

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:30 pm

It seems Like Saints tactic is to just give away penalties left right and centre if it means Ulster don't score.

Also Ulster come on, you were playing v 13 there will be space, stretch them a bit

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Champions Cup Knockouts thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Champions Cup Knockouts thread

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:31 pm

3rd YC for Saints with only 22 mins played

Despite that theuy continue to lead 10-7

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:32 pm

Ulster come on, what are you doing, how do you not put these chances away

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:33 pm

Well that try was a long time coming

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:43 pm

Northampton score again, they have been by far the better team despite the yellows.

Ulsters defence has been awful and their offence has been even worse, they need to up it at least 4 gears here otherwise they might as well have just stayed in Belfast

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:43 pm

Well despite their reduced numbers, Saints score again and take the led.

If they can kept 15 on the pitch during the second half, this could be a decent game.

15-14 saints

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:44 pm

And Saints score from their own 22 from the KO

Ulster going to have to play now

22-14 Saints

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:50 pm

Half time Saints lead 22-14 and deservedly so, Ulster haven't been at the races so far, they haven't even been in the same country as the races

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:52 pm

BigGee wrote:Well despite their reduced numbers, Saints score again and take the led.

If they can kept 15 on the pitch during the second half, this could be a decent game.

15-14 saints

To be fair, even the mighty Dragons couldn’t break down 13. They must be that good defensively.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 8:53 pm

That missed penalty, which was very kickable, just about summed up Ulster first half

I imagine McPharland will be turning on the hairdryer around now!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:03 pm

Montpellier 21 - 15 Benetton

Not sure what happen them in the league but doing fairly well considering away from home against a big pack

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:12 pm

I can't watch the game but have been following the scores, Biggar is not taking the kicks, is he injured?

My two pet players, Mitchell and Freeman, how are they playing?
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:22 pm

Biggar has a quad injury apparently, hence Francis is kicking, but he is otherwise playing well

The other 2 also playing well, but Sleighthome is the pick of the youngsters so far

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:25 pm

I'm wondering if Jared Payne has been on holiday this week because the Ulster defence has been less than impressive so far.
The attack does seem to have improved a little in the second half so far though

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:26 pm

Unfortunately Freeman goes off with a leg injury, Dingwall on

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:31 pm

Sleighthome over in the corner. Still a one score game though as conversion goes wide

27-21 Saints

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:34 pm

Ulster straight back and score with a cheeky line out move

28-27 Ulster

Nip and tuck with 17 mins to go!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WELL-PAST-IT Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:37 pm

BigGee wrote:Biggar has a quad injury apparently, hence Francis is kicking, but he is otherwise playing well

The other 2 also playing well, but Sleighthome is the pick of the youngsters so far

He is showing himself to be a bit special of late
WELL-PAST-IT
WELL-PAST-IT

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:44 pm

Stockdale under the posts

That should be it for Ulster

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:47 pm

Ulsters attack has come alive in the last 10 mins or so, really turned up the wick

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 10 Apr 2021, 9:51 pm

Ulster a good 80 minute team these days, they came to life just as Saints faded a bit, the bench made a hugh difference.

Maybe the 3 YCs in the first half came back to haunt them

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 10:00 pm

Full time Ulster win 35-27

Credit to Saints they were very good even with the cards and didn't deserve to lose that

Ulster in the end managed to turn up the pace in attack and it was enough to get them over the line

Defence was so poor throughout from Ulster and they will need to be better going into the semi

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 10 Apr 2021, 10:05 pm

Good win Ulster

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:28 pm

La Rochelle and Leinster look very good. Do Irish see wing as Larmour's best position?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sun 11 Apr 2021, 1:22 am

mikey_dragon wrote:La Rochelle and Leinster look very good. Do Irish see wing as Larmour's best position?

He isn't good under the high ball and possibly a little to short for international fullback.  So fullback if Keenan gets injured but better chance as winger so playing there.  He was found out his second year as often happens so needs to be given stability at wing to work them out.  Keenan on the other hand has made 15 his own and will not be moved.

It's crazy to think but any player coming through has about 3 years to make a spot his or another player will come and he will be moved on. Lamour looked certain to make the wing or fullback his own but it seems now that he is minding the wing for the next star to come out of the acedemy. A good example of that is Conan who ever really kicked heaslip out and is now minding it while Doris is injured.

If Leinster were Australian they probably could have a fluid set of backs who change positions during the game which might suit Lamour better, but don't thing Leo would approve.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 11 Apr 2021, 12:32 pm

Brendan wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:La Rochelle and Leinster look very good. Do Irish see wing as Larmour's best position?

He isn't good under the high ball and possibly a little to short for international fullback.  So fullback if Keenan gets injured but better chance as winger so playing there.  He was found out his second year as often happens so needs to be given stability at wing to work them out.  Keenan on the other hand has made 15 his own and will not be moved.

It's crazy to think but any player coming through has about 3 years to make a spot his or another player will come and he will be moved on. Lamour looked certain to make the wing or fullback his own but it seems now that he is minding the wing for the next star to come out of the acedemy. A good example of that is Conan who ever really kicked heaslip out and is now minding it while Doris is injured.

If Leinster were Australian they probably could have a fluid set of backs who change positions during the game which might suit Lamour better, but don't thing Leo would approve.
I disagree regarding Larmour, think he's been superb on the wing for us. His finish for his second try against Exeter yesterday was sublime. He's been given a new lease of life since he's been kept on the wing by Leo and Leo's obviously delighted with his progress since he's keeping Kearney out of the team.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 11 Apr 2021, 1:11 pm

I did think he might be a little short for full-back, but he has done well in that position from memory. He could be what Ireland need on the wing, and as for 15 I think Zebo should be brought home.

Jack Conan has been playing very well since he came back and should fill the void with Stander gone. It’s likely Coombes that is next in line though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 11 Apr 2021, 2:23 pm

Zebo probably wouldnt make the Ireland team anymore as Keenan has been one of pur best backs.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 11 Apr 2021, 2:31 pm

Bordeaux win by last minute kick v Racing

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 11 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm

Was a great finish to that game, with Bordeaux having a try ruled out seconds before the clock hit the red. Thought Racing were foolish to not play safe and take ET, instead they went for an always risky line-out on halfway.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 11 Apr 2021, 3:41 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Zebo probably wouldnt make the Ireland team anymore as Keenan has been one of pur best backs.

Probably would until Keenan actually nails the jersey. Admittedly you know a lot more about Keenan than I do though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sun 11 Apr 2021, 4:39 pm

Toulouse v Clermont, very poor quality game.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 12 Apr 2021, 9:57 am

Draw for the semi's

Semi Final Fixtures
Champions Cup
The semi-final fixtures, which will be played on the weekend of 30 April – 1/2 May, are confirmed as follows:
La Rochelle v Leinster Rugby, Stade Marcel Deflandre
Toulouse v Bordeaux-Bègles, Stade Ernest Wallon

CHALLENGE CUP
Leicester Tigers v Ulster Rugby, Mattioli Woods Welford Road
Bath Rugby v Montpellier, The Recreation Ground

Now in the OP

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 12 Apr 2021, 10:27 am

Leinster will have to be at their best in the semis i think.

La Rochelle will be a tough game.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 12 Apr 2021, 11:17 am

I'm sure there will be loads of ROG return, and ROG v Leo for next Irish manager.

It will be a good game but if La Rochelle can't catch restarts and look weak against ball in hand not sure how good they will be against Leinster.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Tue 13 Apr 2021, 12:52 pm

Brendan wrote:I'm sure there will be loads of ROG return, and ROG v Leo for next Irish manager.

It will be a good game but if La Rochelle can't catch restarts and look weak against ball in hand not sure how good they will be against Leinster.

Journo's never over exert themselves with regards to story lines, guaranteed to be ROG the lone man up against the big smoke D4 ladyboys.
Jonno Gibbe will want a good results too.

On a topic of ROG v Leo for next Irish manager, my call would be for ROG to replace Farrell and Leo to replace Nucifora!

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 13 Apr 2021, 3:06 pm

I think ROG will take another job before looking for Ireland. Maybe somewhere like Bath or Saints but England is maybe the one area he hasn't experienced.

I think the Nucifora role needs an outsider.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 13 Apr 2021, 3:31 pm

I've been to La Rochelle I'm sure ROG will be in no hurry to leave. Pretty place, on the coast and if you like mussels then they are caught just off the coast. Completely rugby mad place as well. I went before their promotion and there was still posters or flyers in all the bars and restaurants showing their support for the club. Nice place to spend a few years if you are a rugby coach.

formerly known as Sam

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 13 Apr 2021, 5:57 pm

That's La Rochelle on the list of places to visit! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 13 Apr 2021, 6:25 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:That's La Rochelle on the list of places to visit! OK

I've had my fingers crossed for a while they'd draw Tigers in the cup but they've ascending as we've descended so not yet. I originally went because my wife wanted to go to Paris and I didn't so I found somewhere that would suit her tastes of fresh seafood, nice bakeries, artisan shops and my tastes of slightly off the beaten track but interesting places to stroll around.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 14 Apr 2021, 10:46 am

I'm confused as to whether I've actually been there. It was one of those tours where you just get on a coach and go there. We spent the day in La Rochelle, but stayed at La Roche-sur-Yon. I had to google pics of the strip which runs along the beach, I think it was La Rochelle. It was very nice either way!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6