The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

+9
The Beast
Derek Smalls
Sgt_Pooly
Soul Requiem
Mr Bounce
kingraf
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
No name Bertie
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE  - Page 2 Empty Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

Post by Guest Fri 31 Dec 2021, 1:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Dillian Whyte seems to have lost his arbitration against the WBC.
The purse split has been set at 80/20 for Fury. Somewhat staggering they set it so low for Whyte.
Whyte had demanded $10m to avoid purse bids. So someone would have to bid $50m for Whyte to get that amount now.
What’s the predictions? Whyte to take the $5m Arum offered? Whyte walks away?

Last edited by Jeff Navarro on Fri 28 Jan 2022, 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE  - Page 2 Empty Re: Fury vs Whyte - UPDATE

Post by Oakdene Tue 05 Apr 2022, 9:09 am

Im a casual boxing fan & usually only get drawn in by the hype media outlets run about the fights in the months & weeks leading up to this fight but due to next to nothing being reported I had completely forgotten about this one....

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 05 Apr 2022, 10:18 am

Think you are right Oakdene it looks like a disaster.. 40 million purse bid....Wembley.. Security..other costs..

No undercard 3 weeks out.. £25 a view..

Amateur night.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Apr 2022, 8:05 pm

The undercard was announced:

Anthony Cacace vs Jonathan Romero
Isaac Lowe vs Nick Ball
David Adeleye vs Chris Healey
Tommy Fury vs Daniel Bocianski

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 05 Apr 2022, 8:09 pm

That looks distinctly underwhelming... Rolling Eyes

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 05 Apr 2022, 8:28 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:The undercard was announced:

Anthony Cacace vs Jonathan Romero
Isaac Lowe vs Nick Ball
David Adeleye vs Chris Healey
Tommy Fury vs Daniel Bocianski

Compare with.. Holmes v Witherspoon 83..

Undercard...

Dokes v Weaver WBA Heavy...
Page v Berbick...WBC eliminator...

£25 for one fight...What a joke..Shameful.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Apr 2022, 12:42 am

On a slight positive, the capacity for the fight is now 94,000.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 06 Apr 2022, 9:48 am

I guess that £5 being spent on the support is indicative of PPV sales..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 06 Apr 2022, 10:24 am

It's hardly surprising. Fury isn't the draw he's made out to be, his antics are childish and boring in their repetition. Then there's the Warren factor, he's so out of touch with modern boxing and is incapable of tailoring a promotion to the social media world we now live in.

Hearn is far from perfect but the guy has a proven recent track record. The new guy on the block Ben Shalom also seems to know what he's doing; his promotion of Khan-Brook was spot on, it was sold for what it was a domestic grudge match.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 08 Apr 2022, 9:19 am

Is this going to end up as being a commercial failure (money loss) for Frank Warren (or his backers)?  I think someone mentioned that although the purse bid was a world record it could be less because of private agreements with the boxers (presumably this would only apply to Tysons team).  As mentioned above the undercard was late and pretty much anonymous, it doesn't add anything to the main fight.  Then the main fight there is hardly any news media or social media attention to it, while Dillian Whyte is more or less silent and hidden from view.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 08 Apr 2022, 2:10 pm

Say Fury agreed 25m instead of 32

Fury 25m
Whyte 8m
Wembley.+.Security.. 1m+
Other costs ..fees..undercard... 2m+

Gate...14m
500k buys.. 12 5m...

Leaves sponsorship and TV for the rest..Sure as hell isn't 36 million..

Can't see it hitting 1m buys no way...I imagine it needs to.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 08 Apr 2022, 3:34 pm

Gotta give to Tyson. He's been introduced with any level of legitimacy as the world champion in all of one fight, and he's only turned a serious profit in one fight, and yet if he retires here, he'll very likely retire with $100-150 million in the bank and only a shade over 30 fights to his name. Played the game as well as you could hope to
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 14 Apr 2022, 3:27 pm

So Fury Whyte will be $69.99 for Yanks. With it being on espn+, there is no middle man fee to DirecTV or similar such cable companies, so you'd think something in the vicinity of 250k buys would help make this an overall profitable venture. But the fact that ESPN are trying to have a Saturday afternoon fight on PPV, and they've decided this price with 9 possible days of promotion left does imply, at the very least, that the UK generated ppv buys is a little underwhelming.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Apr 2022, 5:07 pm

kingraf wrote:Gotta give to Tyson. He's been introduced with any level of legitimacy as the world champion in all of one fight, and he's only turned a serious profit in one fight, and yet if he retires here, he'll very likely retire with $100-150 million in the bank and only a shade over 30 fights to his name. Played the game as well as you could hope to

He is the real Heavyweight champion....Beat Wlad and then beat the other Champion..

No point beating AJ because he loses to 20 stone slobs..When midgets don't expose him..

TRUSSMAN66

Sgt_Pooly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 14 Apr 2022, 5:38 pm

Sounds a bit like John Mcdermott (robbed) and Steve Cunningham (cheated).

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Apr 2022, 6:02 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:Sounds a bit like John Mcdermott (robbed) and Steve Cunningham (cheated).

A win is a win...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu 14 Apr 2022, 6:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Soul Requiem wrote:Sounds a bit like John Mcdermott (robbed) and Steve Cunningham (cheated).

A win is a win...

A robbery is a robbery. Some get the luck and others don't.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 14 Apr 2022, 9:05 pm

I thought McDermott won but it wasn't a robbery..

Fury v wilder 1 was worse...Narrative dictates you have forgotten that one buddy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 14 Apr 2022, 11:07 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
kingraf wrote:Gotta give to Tyson. He's been introduced with any level of legitimacy as the world champion in all of one fight, and he's only turned a serious profit in one fight, and yet if he retires here, he'll very likely retire with $100-150 million in the bank and only a shade over 30 fights to his name. Played the game as well as you could hope to

He is the real Heavyweight champion....Beat Wlad and then beat the other Champion..

No point beating AJ because he loses to 20 stone slobs..When midgets don't expose him..

Aah yes. Fury did famously bear Wlad and then followed it up with a win over Wilder. Nothing happened in the three years between those two fights like a positive test or a cocaine binge that warranted a ban or to have his titles stripped. The 2019 SA women's 100m champion is currently serving a four year sentence for pissing hot. She isn't the real champion just because she pissed hot and no one has been able to beat her. What an idiotic flow diagram
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Soul Requiem likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Tue 19 Apr 2022, 10:13 am

The more I think about this one, the more I can see an upset. As Chris has sometimes alluded Fury's not exactly exuded the right mentality this last year or so.
Why is he blowing up so much, he was out of shape last time round and relies on his heft and willpower. He's not kept in condition since and all the sounds from his camp indicate that he is going to be the same guy with the same tactics.
Weirdly he does tend to let us know how he intends to fight, and he says he's going to go toe - to- toe again.

This is plainly a bad idea. Whyte will be confident up close and God knows Fury can get hit and fall over.
My bet is on Fury being gifted a hotly contested decision or even that old chestnut, the draw.
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 19 Apr 2022, 11:04 pm

I don't see a Whyte win unless Fury gets complacent. But if he does, I will have a wry smile.

I don't like Fury, that much is clear. Appreciate everything he's achieved but I just cannot warm to him.

#TeamWhyte for this one, even if he's got as much chance of winning as me.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 20 Apr 2022, 2:19 am

Hard to see exactly how Whyte beats Fury. I guess Fury has a rather soft middle, and Whyte is the "Bodysnatcher". He's also got a shorter money punch, the left hook, and logically anybody who gets dropped four times by the same straight right can probably fall victim to a shorter power punch. But I'm not sure he's got the power to keep Fury down, and I don't think he'll outbox him. I'd like a Whyte win for the lulz, but it's hard to map an actual path to victory.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 20 Apr 2022, 12:32 pm

John Fury..."Tyson is the people's champion"
John Fury..."Everybody wants Whyte to beat my Son but not while I'm about"

Wants to make his mind up..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Apr 2022, 6:27 pm

Odd press conference earlier. Fury and Whyte for two people that ‘don’t like each other’, seemed like two old pals meeting up after along time...

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Apr 2022, 5:37 am

Fury and Whyte had to be restrained from going off on each other. John Fury and Dean Whyte, but still. Most exciting part of the presser.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 21 Apr 2022, 9:46 am

Just what Warren needed when he needs 1.2m buys to break even..

A love fest.

At least John Fury read the script.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 21 Apr 2022, 10:05 am

Word on the street has it that Fury's elbow isn't 100% or even 75%.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 21 Apr 2022, 11:55 am

kingraf wrote:Word on the street has it that Fury's elbow isn't 100% or even 75%.  

Going into a fight injured is never a good idea, no matter how good you are. He might regret it if he's not firing on all cylinders. Whyte will be a hungry contender and although he's expected to lose, if he sees an opportunity, he'll take it. Could be more interesting than expected...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 22 Apr 2022, 12:40 am

Fury cuts a bit of an uninspiring figure outside the ring these days, for me.

In between all his histrionics and bravado over the years, he was at least still capable at times of giving original and interesting insight into things which went beyond the usual boring clichés you get with so many fighters. Left the impression that he understood the sport, both inside and outside the ropes, to a higher level than many of his counterparts and that there was at least some method behind his madness.

Been quite a while since I got any enjoyment or insight from any media appearance he's made, though. Ironically he's now displaying tendencies which he slaughtered Wladimir for showing back in the day before their fight: saying the same kind of things over and over, being predictable etc.

Is he serious about retiring after this fight? Probably not, but I do suspect he's in a bit of a predicament in the sense that he's likely a bit bored of boxing, but not bored of the limelight, the latter of which I think he craves and sees as a way of keeping his on some kind of even keel. Even if he did hang up the gloves, I don't believe for one second that he'd 'just want to be left alone' as he's been saying this week. Been there before with Tony Bellew and I suspect whenever Fury does call it quits the first few years of his retirement will be jam-packed with as many media events of other kinds as he can muster, along with the predictable hints about a possible return, blah blah blah.

As for the fight, if Fury of the Chisora (II) or Wlad fights shows up and boxes in the same way using his height, reach and brain then Whyte won't get near him, but that's a big if. Fury's increased weight (and he's claiming he'll be a career-heaviest for this) suggests that that version of Fury, dancing on the backfoot and playing the matador, is gone for good and he's wedded to the more aggressive style for however long he's got left in the game.

He's still got considerable skill utilizing that style as he showed in Wilder II - smart front foot pressure and a very good array of power shots -  but that might just have been a career-best showing, one of those peaks in terms of focus and execution that a fighter can never quite match again. Fury's also displayed a tendency throughout his career of never seeming to settle on a style for more than three or four fights at a time which does add some extra intrigue here.

Ultimately he should be too versatile for Whyte, who's taken some licks himself and had his own problems with inconsistency and indiscipline. Whyte will probably have some success early and who knows, Fury's last fight with Wilder did suggest a possibility that his body is just starting to break down a touch. But Fury's just a naturally fitter and more durable guy, has that experience of coming through rough patches at the highest level and has shown he can win boxing matches and bar room brawls alike. I think Fury will take control in the middle rounds and stop Whyte a little later on.

Needs to be a good main event, though. That undercard....
88Chris05
88Chris05

Mr Bounce likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Apr 2022, 2:50 pm

Weight in:
Dillian Whyte 253lbs
Tyson Fury 264lbs

This ‘rivalry’ seems fake af... laughing and joking. Exchanging hats. Bizarre.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 22 Apr 2022, 4:21 pm

I have no doubt both Whyte and Fury will come to win tomorrow, and fake beef is boring anyway. But Frank Warren had to be punching the air when he saw them cuddling during the weigh in.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Apr 2022, 4:30 pm

Whyte is heavier than Fury as the usual equation is 4/5 pounds an inch..

I know the Heavies are slower these days but surely Whyte should lose a little muscle and gain more speed and energy at a lower weight..

But he will come to win and Fury can be caught...

Can't see it though....Fury late.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 7:30 pm

Tommy Fury needs to go back on Sex Island or whatever it is..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2022, 8:50 pm

‘Sex Island’ 😂😂😂😂

Warren just confirmed Joyce vs Parker announcement imminent. They will fight in July. Decent fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 23 Apr 2022, 9:16 pm

Jeff Navarro wrote:‘Sex Island’ 😂😂😂😂

Warren just confirmed Joyce vs Parker announcement imminent. They will fight in July. Decent fight.

I can see Joyce doing a number on Parker, who isn't the most difficult to hit.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:02 pm

Got to give it to Warren, 94,000 serve up a magnificent atmosphere. You Brits do it best.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:06 pm

At 36 I don't know why Joyce is going near on a year between fights. He should have been far busier than he has been.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:09 pm

Soul Requiem wrote:At 36 I don't know why Joyce is going near on a year between fights. He should have been far busier than he has been.
It’s be suggested that the WBO interim belt will be sanctioned. That was only possible if Joyce fought Parker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:15 pm

I can't recall seeing Whyte going southpaw before.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:25 pm

Fury starting to dictate the pace.. Whyte needs to get him out of the comfort zone.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:28 pm

This ref is weak af. No control

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:29 pm

Fury ahead..

Better work..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:33 pm

4-1...Starting to become a long night for Whyte..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:37 pm

Timber! Fury closes the show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:38 pm

No surprise - Fury a different class tonight. To fight Fury is just so... awkward unless you're his size.

If he was 6ft 3, he'd not trouble the top I doubt, but the fact he's as big as he is, he's very difficult to beat.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:40 pm

It was basically a schooling with a brutal end...Lewis v Briggs without the wobbles..

Whyte needs to lose a stone and who knows with garbage like Ruiz and Parker about if vacant pies become available maybe a slice..

But a journeyman in any other era..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:41 pm

It might be my bias here but Fury barely connected with that uppercut no?

Seemed more like a glancing shot with the push doing most of the work.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:49 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:No surprise - Fury a different class tonight. To fight Fury is just so... awkward unless you're his size.

If he was 6ft 3, he'd not trouble the top I doubt, but the fact he's as big as he is, he's very difficult to beat.

Whyte was 254...Which was basically fat George's weight in his comeback..

Too big.. Too slow..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:50 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:No surprise - Fury a different class tonight. To fight Fury is just so... awkward unless you're his size.

Whyte was 254...Which was basically fat George's weight in his comeback..

Too big.. Too slow..

I was talking about Fury's height and reach, not his weight. But I agree with you that Whyte was too heavy.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:52 pm

Not remotely a contest. Whyte fortunate to be knocked out when he was, otherwise he could have taken a lot more punishment.

Could be Fury's last fight, but he's a performer and the lure of the big lights will seduce him in God's good time.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 23 Apr 2022, 10:53 pm

If you sacrifice speed against a crafty boxer you are in trouble..

220 pound 87 Tyson would be too quick for Fury..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next