The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Round 2

+11
Brendan
BigGee
doctor_grey
mikey_dragon
Kingshu
geoff999rugby
PhilBB
RiscaGame
Maine man
Oakdene
neilthom7
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

URC Round 2  Empty URC Round 2

Post by neilthom7 Wed 21 Sep 2022, 9:19 pm

First round down and the teams mostly settled in it's time to get into round 2.

All times UK and Ireland.

Games all on Premier Sports, SuperSport and URC TV

Friday 23rd September 2022

Zebre v Cell C Sharks- Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi- 17:30- Mediaset- 37-42
Glasgow Warriors v Cardiff Rugby- Scotstoun Stadium- 19:35- 52-24
Leinster v Benetton- RDS Arena- 19:35- TG4- 42-10

Saturday 24th September 2022

Scarlets v Ulster- Parc Y Scarlets- 13:00- 39-55
Vodacom Bulls v Edinburgh- Loftus Versfield- 13:30- 33-31
DHL Stormers v Connacht- Danie Craven Stadium- 13:30- RTE- 38-15
Ospreys v Emirates Lions- Swansea.com Stadium- 19:35- S4C- 27-28

Sunday 25th September 2022

Dragons v Munster- Rodney Parade- BBC Wales, RTE- 23-17

Last edited by neilthom7 on Sun 25 Sep 2022, 7:10 pm; edited 5 times in total

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

URC Round 2  Empty Re: URC Round 2

Post by Oakdene Thu 22 Sep 2022, 8:28 am

Leinster have lucked out getting the 2 Italian sides in their first 2 matches! Can see a couple of away wins this round, am hoping we can keep our levels of defence up against Ulster as I think they could be missing a few players.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:03 am

Ulster have nine players away with the Emerging Ireland but have Nick Timoney, Mike Lowry, Kieran Treadwell, Tom O’Toole, Rob Herring, John Cooney and Andrew Warwick all available for selection. Should be a good game.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:04 am

Thanks Neil.

Munster are 1/7 on through Betfair to win at RP. These truly are halcyon days at RP.

I would've expected Munster to do quite well anyway, but now they are forced to load up a bit more, it could be a long evening.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:19 am

RiscaGame wrote:Thanks Neil.

Munster are 1/7 on through Betfair to win at RP. These truly are halcyon days at RP.

I would've expected Munster to do quite well anyway, but now they are forced to load up a bit more, it could be a long evening.

The thing that struck me about the Dragons is that was possibly the strongest XV I have seen them start with in a number of years. I wasn't expecting them to beat Edinburgh but I equally didn't think they would get blown away.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:22 am

Oakdene wrote:

The thing that struck me about the Dragons is that was possibly the strongest XV I have seen them start with in a number of years. I wasn't expecting them to beat Edinburgh but I equally didn't think they would get blown away.

It's a team low on confidence with many of the players disliking (to put it politely) Dean Ryan.

The players know that Buttress can't get the deal over the line. It's a house of cards. Unless Buttress does something soon, I'd be amazed if they make it to next season.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Thu 22 Sep 2022, 10:29 am

PhilBB wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

It's a team low on confidence with many of the players disliking (to put it politely) Dean Ryan.

The players know that Buttress can't get the deal over the line. It's a house of cards. Unless Buttress does something soon, I'd be amazed if they make it to next season.

Agreed.

I did hear from a couple of mates that there were rumblings Dean Ryan had been shown the door - can't find anything online to confirm mind.

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 22 Sep 2022, 7:20 pm

Oakdene wrote:am hoping we can keep our levels of defence up against Ulster as I think they could be missing a few players.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

My guess on the team is:

O'Sullivan, Herring, Moore, Treadwell, O'Connor, Marcus Rea, McCann, Timoney
Cooney, Burns, Stockdale, McCloskey, Marshall, Lyttle, Lowry
Bench: Warwick, Andrew, O'Toole, Carter, Murphy, Shanahan, Madigan, Gilroy or Sexton

That is ignoring injured players and those with Emerging Ireland
Much stronger than last week

Lost - Stewart, Izzy, Doak, Baloucoune
Gained - Herring, Treadwell, Timoney, Cooney, O'Toole

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 22 Sep 2022, 9:36 pm

Oakdene wrote:Leinster have lucked out getting the 2 Italian sides in their first 2 matches! Can see a couple of away wins this round, am hoping we can keep our levels of defence up against Ulster as I think they could be missing a few players.

Dont think it is good for them, means that they end the season v three SA sides, homes to stormers then away to Lions and Bulls, I dont think Leinster will be as far ahead of the pack as last year when they could send an A team to SA and still finish top, I think it will be a lot closer. If Leinster run well in the HCup again they may like last year run out of stream and difficult fixtures pile up.Think they would love an Italian team at that point of the season rather than three SA sides in a row, mixed with HCup knock out games.

If Leinster do well in HCup I dont think they will win the league, if they send a weaker team to SA they risk not having home advantage, if they send a strong team down, with the HCup knock outs then the playoffs they will run out of steam again.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 23 Sep 2022, 1:23 am

Leinster should win the lot. Budget to match any other team. Wonder if questions will be asked, with no trophies this year?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri 23 Sep 2022, 11:45 am

RiscaGame wrote:Leinster should win the lot. Budget to match any other team. Wonder if questions will be asked, with no trophies this year?

New Chief Exec, outside half and coaching team at the biggest spenders in European rugby next season.

Hell, biggest spenders in World rugby.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 23 Sep 2022, 12:11 pm

The Dragons RFC team to wallop (snigger) Munster.

Dragons: O’Brien; Dyer, Tomkinson, Dixon, Hewitt; Hanrahan, Rhodri Williams; Seiuli, Roberts, Fairbrother, Nott, Rowlands (captain), Lonsdale, Basham, Moriarty.

Replacements: Dee, Rob Evans, Coleman, Carter, Wainwright, Lewis Jones, Clark, Jordan Williams.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Maine man Fri 23 Sep 2022, 12:35 pm

Scarlets v Ulster line ups:
Scarlets: Ioan Nicholas; Corey Baldwin, Jonathan Davies (capt), Johnny Williams, Ryan Conbeer; Sam Costelow, Gareth Davies, Steff Thomas, Ryan Elias, Javan Sebastian, Vaea Fifita, Sam Lousi, Blade Thomson, Josh Macleod, Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Daf Hughes, Sam O'Connor, Harri O'Connor, Tom Price, Luca Giannini, Kieran Hardy, Dan Jones, Rhys Patchell.

Ulster: Michael Lowry; Aaron Sexton, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney; Andy Warwick, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O'Connor (capt), Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Declan Moore, Eric O'Sullivan, Tom O'Toole, Sam Carter, Sean Reffell, Dave Shanahan, Angus Curtis, Craig Gilroy.

Maine man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 23 Sep 2022, 1:31 pm

Maine man wrote:Scarlets v Ulster line ups:
Scarlets: Ioan Nicholas; Corey Baldwin, Jonathan Davies (capt), Johnny Williams, Ryan Conbeer; Sam Costelow, Gareth Davies, Steff Thomas, Ryan Elias, Javan Sebastian, Vaea Fifita, Sam Lousi, Blade Thomson, Josh Macleod, Sione Kalamafoni.

Replacements: Daf Hughes, Sam O'Connor, Harri O'Connor, Tom Price, Luca Giannini, Kieran Hardy, Dan Jones, Rhys Patchell.

Ulster: Michael Lowry; Aaron Sexton, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney; Andy Warwick, Rob Herring, Marty Moore, Alan O'Connor (capt), Kieran Treadwell, Matty Rea, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Declan Moore, Eric O'Sullivan, Tom O'Toole, Sam Carter, Sean Reffell, Dave Shanahan, Angus Curtis, Craig Gilroy.

This is usually an ugly affair, I'm looking forward to it. Looks as though Patchell will feature at 15 from the bench.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 23 Sep 2022, 1:33 pm

Oakdene wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

Agreed.

I did hear from a couple of mates that there were rumblings Dean Ryan had been shown the door - can't find anything online to confirm mind.

We seem to have a problem in Wales where coaches go out and tell players the truth, said coaches are pushed out. Amateur hour. Not that I'm defending Dean Ryan, or Flanagan for that matter. Dragons were just blown away last weekend but at least Ryan told them the truth!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 23 Sep 2022, 3:24 pm

You can’t really call your squad out in public like that though. It’s little wonder that he is perceived as a bullying dinosaur. There are rumours he’s been a right idiot to Flanagan too (ripping up his playbook).

If it isn’t Dai Flanagan being in sole charge, Dragons (WRU) need to get the next appointment right. Jackman and Ryan have been pretty poor appointments.

Players have no excuse now. They have to at least front up on Sunday.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 23 Sep 2022, 3:41 pm

You can argue that WRU supposed ownership isn't working out either. Heck, they were meant to part-owners after Ebbw Vale jumped ship decades ago, not sure what happened there.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 23 Sep 2022, 4:26 pm

Chris Farrell stood down?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 23 Sep 2022, 4:46 pm

Yeah, legal case in France, he is stepping back.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63006088

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 Sep 2022, 7:21 pm

PhilBB wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Leinster should win the lot. Budget to match any other team. Wonder if questions will be asked, with no trophies this year?

New Chief Exec, outside half and coaching team at the biggest spenders in European rugby next season.

Hell, biggest spenders in World rugby.
Bigger than Racing or Stade?  
That said, even up in the high rent district, you have the money, still have to perform....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 23 Sep 2022, 7:56 pm

Bigger than Racing… surely not?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 23 Sep 2022, 8:31 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Bigger than Racing… surely not?
perish the thought....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Fri 23 Sep 2022, 8:38 pm

Sharks beat Zebre in Italy earlier. Glasgow and Leinster comfortably ahead at half time in their games

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 23 Sep 2022, 10:11 pm

Glasgow rediscover their mojo, it's probably fair to say!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 23 Sep 2022, 10:36 pm

Seems like Zebre's plan is let the opposition get a BP and then turn off and then kick into gear and look to catch them in the end. Two games in and nearly halfway to last year's total. Will be interesting what happens when they play other balling teams.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sat 24 Sep 2022, 12:07 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Oakdene wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
Oakdene wrote:

Agreed.

We seem to have a problem in Wales where coaches go out and tell players the truth, said coaches are pushed out. Amateur hour. Not that I'm defending Dean Ryan, or Flanagan for that matter. Dragons were just blown away last weekend but at least Ryan told them the truth!

I remember hearing that Bernard Jackmanwhen he coached there was both critical of players and determined to get rid of the weakest by working them hard. It’s odd that they seem to have got rid of one coach to then hire another cut from the same cloth..

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sat 24 Sep 2022, 12:09 am

I’m really curious to see how Zebre go with their 26 new players this year. Already they seem better than last year and must improve as they get used to playing together.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 24 Sep 2022, 12:15 pm

Intotouch wrote:I’m really curious to see how Zebre go with their 26 new players this year. Already they seem better than last year and must improve as they get used to playing together.
I watched the second half of Zebre-Sharks yesterday.  A bit hard to judge, except their conditioning must be quite good.  Stormers had built a pretty big lead, 31-10, then as the second half wore on, it seemed it was the the Sharks who were running out of gas.  They were fortunate to escape with the W.  

Zebre climbed back to 34-39 with a couple of minutes left, scoring what initially seemed like a few garbaage time consolation tries.  Then they had a try ruled out for obstruction, which would have put them in the lead just before the death.  I thought the pen was a bit harsh but there were two obvious forward passes (crystal clear) missed by the referee, so maybe the effect of the pen was appropriate.  If they can wear teams down and continue that nice attacking play I saw, they can be really competitive.  

If I were a Sharks supporter I would be concerned about their conditioning.  If I were a Zebre supporter, clear signs of better things coming.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 24 Sep 2022, 12:27 pm

Zebre are doing well but need to convert these good performances into some wins or their confidence will evaporate away as it has done in other seasons.

Other teams will get better conditioned as the season goes on as well.

Still, good to see them competitive, is good for the league and for Italy's propects going forward.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 24 Sep 2022, 1:34 pm

Gee what a game scarlets vs Ulster is so far. Some lovely rugby by both teams.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 24 Sep 2022, 3:33 pm

39-55 Ulster win, plenty of points in that one for the neutral lol

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 24 Sep 2022, 3:49 pm

Great match between Bulls and Edinburgh, Bulls sneak it at the end.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 24 Sep 2022, 3:51 pm

Old Man wrote:Great match between Bulls and Edinburgh, Bulls sneak it at the end.

What you reckon Old man, was that a RC at the death?

Would not have affected the result, as it was re-starting with a penalty either way, but Bennett was knocked out cold. It looked a dangerous tackle to me.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 24 Sep 2022, 4:33 pm

Is the 94 points in Scarlets v Ulster a record for the league. Seems like URC is going to be the new SR.
Zebre v Stromers was 79, Glasgow v Cardiff was 76. Bulls v Edinburgh was 64.

Great for viewers but will we hear all the basketball stuff that use to be said of SR.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 24 Sep 2022, 4:35 pm

Brendan wrote:Is the 94 points in Scarlets v Ulster a record for the league.  Seems like URC is going to be the new SR.
Zebre v Stromers was 79, Glasgow v Cardiff was 76.  Bulls v Edinburgh was 64.

Great for viewers but will we hear all the basketball stuff that use to be said of SR.

Give it a couple of weeks till the weather changes Laugh

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Sat 24 Sep 2022, 4:56 pm

BigGee wrote:
Old Man wrote:Great match between Bulls and Edinburgh, Bulls sneak it at the end.

What you reckon Old man, was that a RC at the death?

Would not have affected the result, as it was re-starting with a penalty either way, but Bennett was knocked out cold. It looked a dangerous tackle to me.

I don't think so, he went low, hit the chest, you could see the head going forward before it went back. But that's my view.

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 24 Sep 2022, 5:33 pm

BigGee wrote:
Brendan wrote:Is the 94 points in Scarlets v Ulster a record for the league.  Seems like URC is going to be the new SR.

All the artificial pitches and with Global Warming it will be Summer everyday

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 24 Sep 2022, 6:08 pm

Well i never enjoyed rolling around in the mud all that much, either as a player or a spectator!

Seriously though, i don't see scorelines like that in Galway, Glasgow or Newport in February!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sat 24 Sep 2022, 6:57 pm

Having regularly attended Ravenhill where the rain somehow manages to blow in under the roof even when covered and not been able to feel my limbs (or rugby weather as I like to call it) I can confirm it is unlikely we will see scores like that in a few months time lol

neilthom7

BigGee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 25 Sep 2022, 12:06 am

BigGee wrote:Well i never enjoyed rolling around in the mud all that much, either as a player or a spectator!
It's more fun if you try it with a girl instead of a hairy prop. thumbsup

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 25 Sep 2022, 12:28 am

Brendan wrote:
BigGee wrote:

All the artificial pitches and with Global Warming it will be Summer everyday
That does make a big difference. OK, they are hard on the legs, knee joints, ankles and feet, and lumbar spine. But at least when receiving treatment on the turf, it shouldn't feel too cold.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 25 Sep 2022, 1:00 am

Same scorelines in the Premiership as well (except Newcastle):  
Bath Wasps 31-39, 70 total points scored.  
Bristol-LI, 40-36, 76 total
Saints-Tigers, 21-41, 62 total
Saracens-Gloucester, 41-39, 80 total
Worcester Nuke, 39-5, 44 total

As said, it's like party time basketball scores everywhere.....

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Sun 25 Sep 2022, 11:36 am

Defence coaches must have went to a summer conference together and never came back or something

neilthom7

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 25 Sep 2022, 3:18 pm

Munster’s C team struggling against Dragons without their Emerging Ireland players.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 25 Sep 2022, 5:25 pm

Brilliant win for Dragons. Glad that the shackles are off, now Dean the Dinosaur has gone.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 25 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

They sure did need that win!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Sep 2022, 6:25 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:They sure did need that win!

Has Ryan been sacked now? Still seems unclear

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 25 Sep 2022, 7:24 pm

He has gone. It’s just a bit messy, because he was a director on the board too. So probably a bit of legal stuff to sort (payoff etc) and that.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 25 Sep 2022, 7:51 pm

I take it you'll be glad to see the bsck of him?

A bit like Cockers at Edinburgh.

Maybe the right man for the job at the time, but ass kicking only works for a while and eventually loses its effect. Then it needs a more conciliatory character to come in and move the team on.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 25 Sep 2022, 7:58 pm

Yes I’m delighted. I have been calling for it for ages. He oversaw our worst ever season and so had to go. Rumours of him being a bully to coaches, as well as players is an awful look.

Dai Flanagan seems a breath of fresh air. Seems a sharp person, seems to allow the players to have a go and actually seems to care. Sometimes tough love is great, but throwing your players under the bus like Ryan did last week, was inexcusable. I also like that Flanagan is from the area, so likely to have a better connection with our local lads and the supporters.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next