The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 season

+7
Soul Requiem
Good Golly I'm Olly
Azabache
dummy_half
mountain man
formerly known as Sam
Lowlandbrit
11 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

2024 season - Page 5 Empty 2024 season

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 01 Jan 2024, 3:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

While MvdP dominates the cyclo-cross season, it's nearly time to get back on the road.

Pogačar will be riding the Giro this year. Does that mean they're throwing in the towel on the TdF? Well, the plan is for him to ride that alongside Almeida, Ayuso and Yates, so probably not.

The 'Yellow B' team (as they've renamed the official licence holder, seemingly as part of a plan to make that the team name/brand going forward) will now be Visma | Lease a Bike, and there's another big money discounter sponsor (following Lidl-Trek) in Decathlon-Ag2r La Mondiale.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

2024 season - Page 5 Empty Re: 2024 season

Post by dummy_half Mon 22 Jul 2024, 10:07 am

Ridiculous end of the Tour by Pogacar - he's going to end up getting a reputation as something of a cannibal (Merckx's nickname because of his hunger to win every race he entered). I think he wanted the break to win the last mountain stage, but the way Evenepoel's team rode closed things down, and Pog was the strongest at the end.

Overall, clearly Pogacar was mighty throughout this race. Vingegaard was strong considering his preparation was hindered by the injuries, but even if he'd been at his peak, would he have been on the level of Pogacar? Doubt it.

Evenepoel did really well, but was clearly running on empty by the end - he's a better ITT rider than Pogacar, but lost well over a minute in quite a short TT yesterday showing that his energy levels are depleted. Held on brilliantly in the mountains and never cracked, just had one or two riders were able to go faster when they attacked.

A gap of almost 20 minutes to 4th and 30 minutes to 10th shows it was a race for the top 3 then a race for the rest of the GC contenders. And the riders finishing 4th to 6th were domestiques for Pogacar and Evenepoel...

Just noticed that Cav finished as the Lanterne Rouge.

dummy_half

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 22 Jul 2024, 2:08 pm

Anyway, looking forward, the Olympics starts in a few days, and with the ITT events as a very early competition. No Pogacar or Vingegaard, but Evenepoel is riding - be interesting to see if he recovers well from his efforts over the last week.
Main opposition would look to be Ganna.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 22 Jul 2024, 10:50 pm

The excitement continued right through the final stage-was Pogacar still improving (!) or were Vingegaard and Evenepoel finally succumbing to some fatigue?

Next year will be interesting.

Was rather hoping to see Eddy at the closing ceremony to honour Cav.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 22 Jul 2024, 11:15 pm

Hard to see how anyone can beat Pogacar in the coming years after that display of total dominance, but I thought that after the 2021 Tour - so clearly I know nowt. Also looking forward to the Olympics, though I've been that busy with work and life rubbish that I've no idea who's doing what yet.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 22 Jul 2024, 11:26 pm

Barring unforeseen accidents (God forbid) and the emergence of another superhuman (and don't overlook Evenepoel...).

I'm not sure either who's competing but the men's road race is Day 8 (Sat. 3/8) and the gals are the next day.

Azabache

Big likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 26 Jul 2024, 10:12 am

Big wrote:Hard to see how anyone can beat Pogacar in the coming years after that display of total dominance, but I thought that after the 2021 Tour - so clearly I know nowt.  Also looking forward to the Olympics, though I've been that busy with work and life rubbish that I've no idea who's doing what yet.  

Then again Vingegaard beat Pogacar by over 7 minutes in 2023 TdF so you never know, especially if he has an uninterupted build up and has a strong team. Likes of Sepp Kuss were a huge miss for Visma.

Pogacar I agree does look totally dominant this year but it's whether he can sustain it.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri 26 Jul 2024, 11:25 am

Can't argue with any of that - as I say, I thought the same in 2021 then Vingegaard won the next two, obviously including that 2023 dominant display. And my comment was more how I feel watching it, rather than a well thought out position I hold. I suspect it's just easier to see Pogacar's strength because he can put in those bursts of speed where you can see him dropping people (and nabbing those stage wins when part of a small group at the end), whereas to my untrained eye Vingegaard on top form is more about the relentless high pace draining the life out of the opposition - which is less obvious but equally devastating when got right.

Big

mountain man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 29 Jul 2024, 3:19 pm

Well, I watched a bit of Tom Pidcock racing a mountain bike again, and so of course he won (I think the only MTB race of his I've watched and him not win was the Nove Mesto short track race earlier this year)

So retained his Olympic title, despite losing time and position with a puncture around 3/4 race distance. Ended up in a real battle on the last lap, and only won it with a strong overtake a couple of hundred metres from the line. His French opponent tried to close the door on him and they tangled, resulting in the French rider unclipping from his pedal; would have done better to let Pidcock go ahead and then try to outsprint him to the line.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 29 Jul 2024, 3:24 pm

dummy_half wrote:; would have done better to let Pidcock go ahead and then try to outsprint him to the line.

I thought so as well but in the heat of battle I think he thought he could close the door. There was also an upcoming tree on his side of the road so he'd have had to surrender position and momentum to Pidcock then dig deep for another sprint, not an easy feet after the racing in that final lap. It was a last ditch dive by Pidcock. Great racing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Mon 29 Jul 2024, 3:45 pm

Brilliant recovery and final move from Pidcock; more than deserved gold, without the puncture he would have won at a canter so at least made it interesting.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 29 Jul 2024, 3:49 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:
dummy_half wrote:; would have done better to let Pidcock go ahead and then try to outsprint him to the line.

I thought so as well but in the heat of battle I think he thought he could close the door.
There was also an upcoming tree on his side of the road so he'd have had to surrender position and momentum to Pidcock then dig deep for another sprint, not an easy feet after the racing in that final lap. It was a last ditch dive by Pidcock. Great racing.

The French guy did look the stronger on most of that final lap, which is why I think he would have had more chance in letting the pass happen and then looking for the final sprint. Obviously losing his pedal scuppered any chance and could have cost him the silver

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 29 Jul 2024, 3:52 pm

A fantastic race ! I thought Pidcock's chance had gone when he lost all that time to the puncture , with the Frenchman riding so confidently ; but back he came ... and then the way the lead see-sawed on the last lap made it one of the most thrilling events we are likely to see in these Olympics.

A pity a fair few of the crowd saw fit to boo Tom after the finish. Can understand they were disappointed the local boy didn't hold on - but I don't think anyone could claim he wasn't a fully deserving winner . And as for the little tangle that was no-one's fault (certainly not Tom's as he'd taken his line first) , just what happens when two such fierce competitors move so close to each other in a confined space.

Chapeau to both of them thumbsup

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 29 Jul 2024, 4:17 pm

French crowd been pretty poor this Olympics. They should of course support their team but the relentless booing of opposition in rugby and now cycling is bad.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 29 Jul 2024, 4:42 pm

Azabache wrote:Barring unforeseen accidents (God forbid) and the emergence of another superhuman (and don't overlook Evenepoel...).

I'm not sure either who's competing but the men's road race is Day 8 (Sat. 3/8) and the gals are the next day.

I don't think Evenepoel quite has 'it' in the mountains to beat absolutely peak Pogacar or Vingegaard unless there's a very ITT-heavy route (remembering that back in Indurain's day, 2 x 50 km + ITTs and a TTT and the prologue were commonly included). Not saying he's anything less than a fabulous rider, but he's up against one guy who could be remembered as an all time great if he keeps going as he has started his career (and of course Pog is still a month short of his 26th birthday, so is only just reaching his prime years), plus another who is one of the finest pure climbers we've seen for some time.

The Olympic road race will be interesting because the teams are so small that it's unlikely anyone will be able to exert real control - Slovenia obviously a strong team with Mohoric and Pogacar, while GB will presumably be racing for Pidcock. The course is lumpy but with no major climbs, so likely to suit a strong classics rider.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 29 Jul 2024, 8:32 pm

I don't think we can claim any moral superiority v. the French on booing-didn't Our Finest start this many moons ago in football with the disgraceful disrespect to countries' national anthems?

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Tue 30 Jul 2024, 7:55 am

According to Belgian tv, cyclo-cross (and cross country running) are being added to the Winter Olympics in 2030. Could be a chance for a unique achievement...

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 30 Jul 2024, 8:36 am

Booing at a football match seems to be par for the course unfortunately. And all fans of all nations do it. Not an excuse just a fact.

Booing at a cycling event or rugby match isn't and shouldn't be. At an Olympics, the pinnacle of sport for most it is a disgrace and indefencible

The French booed England at RWC last year, did it again to GB women 7s at this Olympics and Pidcock. They booed Arg and SA in men in rugby 7s as well.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Tue 30 Jul 2024, 9:52 pm

Poor old Chris Froome suffered a bit from this I recall-not that it affected him.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 10 Aug 2024, 9:28 am

Olympics been a bit of a mixed bag for GB. Velodrome usually where they dominate but other teams so strong.
However, lots of medals so a bit churlish to complain not all gold.

It's been excellent though, I'm enjoying it.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 10 Aug 2024, 9:42 am

Slightly late but Simon Yates to Jumbo is an annoying one. Would have been nice to see him at Ineos and given the chance to go for it at a Grand Tour with the full backing of a top team. He might get the chance at Jumbo but is more likely a mountain domestique for Vingegaard at next years TdF.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 10 Aug 2024, 9:51 am

100% he's there to support Vingegaard at tour. In other races he might be let off leash but his primary goal is a mountain domestique for Jonas I would say. Visma want revenge!

Regarding Ineos, it'll be interesting to see what happens there as there is obvious unrest in team which may explain their poor showing. Pidcock is prime one with his fall out with Steve Cummins but rumours of general unhappiness in team. Dan Bigham another who is not happy and is leaving Ineos.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 10 Aug 2024, 7:47 pm

mountain man wrote:100% he's there to support Vingegaard at tour. In other races he might be let off leash but his primary goal is a mountain domestique for Jonas I would say. Visma want revenge!

Regarding Ineos, it'll be interesting to see what happens there as there is obvious unrest in team which may explain their poor showing. Pidcock is prime one with his fall out with Steve Cummins but rumours of general unhappiness in team. Dan Bigham another who is not happy and is leaving Ineos.

Bigham noted that Ineos lacked clear direction and I think that's a pretty fair observation. They go out to win Grand Tours but also talk about developing their own next big talent. They've not got anyone who's looking like being a big talent next year though. There's some that might flourish given time but I'm not putting money on them taking a Grand Tour next season.

A Grand Tour winning Brit who's a quality climber comes onto the market and they rule themselves out of consideration early is an odd call. Yes, it goes against developing their own talent but also their own talent is desperately short of quality domestiques. Allowing Geoghan Hart out the building was an off call last season as well, he looked as if staying injury free he could be a serious threat.

There's some mixed up thinking going on there.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 16 Aug 2024, 8:28 am

The Vuelta Espana starts tomorrow and it looks a brutal route, 61522metres of climbing in total which makes it most climbing of any Grand tour this century and way more than this years Giro and TdF.

The fear from some pundits is it'll make it too conservative where riders just conserve energy rather than attacking.

No Pogacar or Vingegaard again so it's Sepp Kuss defending his title from last year and likes of Roglic, Adam Yates, Rodriguez among main contenders.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 16 Aug 2024, 11:02 pm

The Vuelta seems to have come earlier this year, but checking back shows that its start date fluctuates year to year.

Re. Ineos's (and previous names) rather underwhelming performances of late, they have of course seen the end of the quite remarkable years of the dogged Wiggins and Thomas and the sensational Froome. Carapaz did well but eventually moved on; the new Boy Wonder Bernal had wretched bad luck with the back problem then that bizarre training crash in Colombia after which he seemingly cannot recapture his great potential; let's not also forget the Covid disruption; Hart et al. didn't stay for whatever reasons; Pidcock is another young sensation but can't be expected to carry the whole team, and anyway has multiple interests.....

Unless the budget is a factor-no evidence of that-is the key, I wonder, the lighter touch of the iron hand Dave Brailsford who now is called the Godfather rather than the Team Principal? He had to manage illness and now seems to focusing on the football side.

No team can sustain top level, all-winning performance for ever. We will see the decline of Visma eventually, however unpalatable a thought that may be to some posters here.

Add to all this the slightly worrying factor on the horizon being discussed of the phenomenon of "$50 million super teams"....

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 17 Aug 2024, 7:43 am

I just don't understand where Ineos are spending their vast budget. They allegedly have the joint second highest budget with Visma but no top level grand tour talents. They've got future potential but are with the podium chasing teams with significantly lower budgets in the standings.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 19 Aug 2024, 12:01 am

Quest channel have done it again (as in previous years)-no highlights programme of stage 2 of the Vuelta-instead some antiques prog. was shown with an onscreen apology with no explanation or promise of a later transmission. Extremely annoying to those who only have Freeview.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 24 Aug 2024, 8:58 am

Vuelta going along nicely, shame about the commentary(!). Ben O'Connor in a massive lead after stage 6, question is can he keep it given grueling stages ahead. Rest of GC slipped up badly letting him get away.
Couple nice stage wins for Wout Van Aert, yesterdays stage 7 was an incredible effort by Sepp Kuss to bridge gap and get Wout into position to sprint. The very definition of a team win and could tell from post stage interview he was genuinely moved by the sacrifice Kuss made.

Highlights are now on Quest at 1900.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Sat 24 Aug 2024, 10:29 pm

And today's (Sat.) terrific stage result potentially turns it all on its head over the coming days!

Is Roglic's legacy to be The Greatest Rider Not To Have Won A Tour?

He seems to have found a new lease of life since escaping from that team; let's hope his Crash Gremlin isn't lurking.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 25 Aug 2024, 4:50 pm

There's no control in this race at all. Who in their right mind let's Adam Yates and Enric Mas go off the front. They're both climbing up the standings now.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 28 Aug 2024, 8:41 am

Another stage win for Wout, he's in some form. I felt for Pacher who was on a hiding to nothing in last few kms as unless Van Aert had a mechanical there was no way he was winning. The final sprint showed it, he tried for about 5 seconds then realised not a hope.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Wed 28 Aug 2024, 11:42 pm

Roglic awesome again-big time lost by O'Connor on a stage where no appreciable losses were forecast-it's not looking good for him, even though his lead is still impressive, and pundits are saying that he may actually endure better on long mountains-well, we'll soon see!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 29 Aug 2024, 8:00 am

I think Roglic will reel in O'Connor for GC win. O'Connor could slip to 3rd or even off podium if he has more bad days. Normally with a lead like he's had/has you'd say nailed on for win but I think he is prone to bad days plus slightly mentally fragile.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 29 Aug 2024, 11:14 am

O'Connor also has the issue that his team has nowhere near the firepower of Bora. Roglic will get more protection and can use that to time his efforts. It looks like O'Connor will just be trying to hang onto the jersey for as long as possible at this point.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Thu 29 Aug 2024, 11:05 pm

I too wondered at "fragility"-he doesn't seem to be giving off positive vibes.

Anyway, good luck to him, and what he's achieved so far is in the bag so to speak.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 30 Aug 2024, 8:22 am

I think Ben O'Connor is a decent bloke, never met him but in all interviews etc he seems genuine. He's signed for Jayco Alula for next season so I think he'll be way happier there in that enviroment being an Aussie team etc.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 30 Aug 2024, 9:41 pm

Turned on the recording of the Quest channel's highlights programme and couldn't understand why they almost immediately went into the final 5KM of today's (Friday) stage. Soon became clear! What a typical brutal Vuelta stage with bodies all over the road and Roglic awesome in regaining another significant chunk of time.

The actual winner of the stage-Michael Woods-almost got forgotten until the end of the coverage. His was a remarkable performance at 37.

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 31 Aug 2024, 8:06 am

Quest coverage pretty average at best and commentary woeful bordering on terrible. Aside from that Vuelta been excellent...

O'Connor hemorrhaging time, Roglic now "only" 1min 21secs behind which in normal circumstances be classed as a lot but another stage like that and Roglic could be in red jersey. As I said yesterday, I can see him winning GC.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 31 Aug 2024, 8:13 am

It's pretty disappointing to see so little of the likes of Jumbo and Ineos attacking on the front. They've got good teams at the race and don't seem to be doing much with them. UAE will hopefully double down on Adam Yates being well placed in GC. Time gaps are fluctuating wildly in his race and Bora don't have the capabilities to mark everyone (O'Connor and his team have no chance). Come on fireworks.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 31 Aug 2024, 8:37 am

UAE been having a strange race, so much firepower but I don't think they are using it correctly. Marc Soller attacking then getting reeled in, no co-ordination from rest of team. Without Pogacar they seem a bit out of kilter. Visma riding for stage wins and green jersey for Wout it seems, Sepp Kuss off pace for GC.
Ineos a shadow of teams of past. Think be a big shake up for next season as such a mega funded team not producing can only go on so long.

Bora so far playing it perfectly and no question they have eye on prize for Roglic. Movistar helped Bora yesterday by riding on front for a long time, Enric Mas riding well and should stay in contention for podium but he suffered big time yesterday it looked.

Today another summit finish on a 1st cat climb so another big day for GC riders.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 02 Sep 2024, 1:42 pm

Can't see O'Connor hanging on, but he's lasted longer than I thought he was going to.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 02 Sep 2024, 2:45 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:Can't see O'Connor hanging on, but he's lasted longer than I thought he was going to.

Agreed. He's done a sterling job hanging in there. He's just got to keep plugging away and hope for a bit of luck. He might still get a podium out of this. Fourth is his best result at a Grand Tour and this is a great chance to beat it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 03 Sep 2024, 7:52 pm

O'Connor clings onto red by skin of teeth but a mere 5 seconds now to Roglic.
Biggest news though was Wout van Aert having to abandon after what looked like a fairly innocuous crash. The bad luck for Visma never ends. Such a shame as he was back to his best.

O'Connor after leading for so long is now almost certain to not win GC so he has to aim to get a podium place. He came 4th in Tdf and missing out on a podium spot be utterly devastating I'd say.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 03 Sep 2024, 9:48 pm

Agreed, Ben O'Connor just has to keep fighting and his team need to dig deep and work hard to try and keep him in position. A podium finish would be a great result for them and for him. Their lead sponsor and their record selling bikes will no doubt love the promotion of the cheapest retail available bike in the peleton as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Wed 04 Sep 2024, 12:07 am

He may yet spring a surprise, but probably a faint, romantic, hope in the face of tough Roglic and his very well organised and focused team.

An afterthought....were the Vuelta's commissaires fair in docking Roglic those points?

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Wed 04 Sep 2024, 8:28 am

Yes. Bike change was purely tactical, it wasn't a mechanical issue. If he'd drafted behind other cars he mght have got away with it but being behind Bora car sealed it. As it was he got minimum time penalty of 20 seconds, could have been a lot worse.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 06 Sep 2024, 7:44 pm

Roglic wins stage 19 and goes into red jersey. With another big day tomorrow then time trial to finish only illness or accident will stop him winning GC. O'Connor lost a stack of time but in second on GC. Mas 3rd. Roglic aside podium places still up for grabs.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Fri 06 Sep 2024, 7:57 pm

O'Connor did pretty well to stay with the main GC group and limit his losses. He isn't going to win but if he can stay in the fight the podium is definitely on the cards for him. Disappointed by the lack of attacks generally though. Bora did a great job for Roglic and Mas went for it but the the rest of the main pack didn't really attempt much. I thought someone inside the top 10 might gamble a bit to try and move up.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Fri 06 Sep 2024, 10:47 pm

After watching Roglic's pretty awesome demolition ride up that climb, I again reflected on his accursed bad luck record over the years and wonder if there may still be a hope of winning the Tour. He certainly appears to be happier and Bora are a tough, disciplined team. But budgets-and hence riders signed-may be decisive here; looking up some stats, I see the following estimated amounts:
UAE-€60M; Ineos-€55M; Visma-€55M;......Bora-€30M

O'Connor certainly didn't "collapse" on that climb and I echo hopes that he'll retain a podium place.

Two stages to go-what a race eh!

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri 06 Sep 2024, 10:50 pm

I've got the feeling that Primoz has ridden within himself over the past week, making back the time bit by bit conserving energy. There have been stages where you knew he had another level to go to but decided against it.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Yesterday at 11:23 am

Azabache wrote:After watching Roglic's pretty awesome demolition ride up that climb, I again reflected on his accursed bad luck record over the years and wonder if there may still be a hope of winning the Tour. He certainly appears to be happier and Bora are a tough, disciplined team. But budgets-and hence riders signed-may be decisive here; looking up some stats, I see the following estimated amounts:
UAE-€60M; Ineos-€55M; Visma-€55M;......Bora-€30M

O'Connor certainly didn't "collapse" on that climb and I echo hopes that he'll retain a podium place.

Two stages to go-what a race eh!

I think Ineos's estimated spend is a bit inflated based on prior seasons to be honest. There was some chat on the breakaway show where they were saying that this season they are probably spending less than Bora. In prior years the spend was significantly higher and you could tell by the profile of the riders.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next