The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2024 season

+7
Soul Requiem
Good Golly I'm Olly
Azabache
dummy_half
mountain man
formerly known as Sam
Lowlandbrit
11 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

2024 season - Page 6 Empty 2024 season

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 01 Jan 2024, 3:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

While MvdP dominates the cyclo-cross season, it's nearly time to get back on the road.

Pogačar will be riding the Giro this year. Does that mean they're throwing in the towel on the TdF? Well, the plan is for him to ride that alongside Almeida, Ayuso and Yates, so probably not.

The 'Yellow B' team (as they've renamed the official licence holder, seemingly as part of a plan to make that the team name/brand going forward) will now be Visma | Lease a Bike, and there's another big money discounter sponsor (following Lidl-Trek) in Decathlon-Ag2r La Mondiale.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

2024 season - Page 6 Empty Re: 2024 season

Post by mountain man Sat 07 Sep 2024, 1:30 pm

INEOS not impressing whatever their budget. I've been watching Tour of Britain and not got near a stage win there.

mountain man

formerly known as Sam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 07 Sep 2024, 8:00 pm

mountain man wrote:INEOS not impressing whatever their budget. I've been watching Tour of Britain and not got near a stage win there.

Very true. They do seem to be taking pot shots on emerging talent and hoping one is going to transpire to be the next big thing. Ruling out a bid for Simon Yates was nothing short of criminal, getting an experienced Tour GC contender on the roster is exactly what they need. Looking at their squad there's a lot of potential, some of which has reached the level of Top 10 GC and then good support riders. The lack of an outstanding leader is blindly obvious, yes they were very unlucky with Bernal but that was years ago. He may re-emerge but you can't build a team around that faint hope.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 09 Sep 2024, 8:22 am

So Roglic wins the Vuelta, and in fairness he deserved it. Ben O'Connor 2nd and again he rode well so I'm pleased he got a podium spot. It would have been so cruel if he'd missed out.
A record equalling fourth Vuelta win for Roglic. Not doubt he still has TdF ambitions but there's just small matter of Tadej and Jonas...

As for Bernal with INEOS, yep that's been a disappointment. Wins tour and Giro but then injury, illness and he's been miles off iterally and figuratively since. I'm not sure Radcliffe be ploughing millions in without results from team for too long.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 09 Sep 2024, 11:44 am

mountain man wrote:So Roglic wins the Vuelta, and in fairness he deserved it. Ben O'Connor 2nd and again he rode well so I'm pleased he got a podium spot. It would have been so cruel if he'd missed out.
A record equalling fourth Vuelta win for Roglic. Not doubt he still has TdF ambitions but there's just small matter of Tadej and Jonas...

As for Bernal with INEOS, yep that's been a disappointment. Wins tour and Giro but then injury, illness and he's been miles off iterally and figuratively since. I'm not sure Radcliffe be ploughing millions in without results from team for too long.

I just don't think Roglic is good enough to win the Tour de France when it's a case of his best against Pogacar, Vingegaard and Evenepoel at their best - I can see him fighting with Evenepoel and a few others for the third step on the podium, but don't think he can compete with Pogacar's explosiveness. Still, 4 Vueltas and 1 Giro is a pretty outstanding career record - the difference is that he's not typically had to contend with the best riders in best form, so a 10/10 Roglic beats a recent 10/10 Thomas or an 8/10 Evenepoel (not sure he beats Pogacar on many days now).

Also, the routes of the Giro and Vuelta are typically a bit different from the Tour, in traditionally favouring the pure climbers rather than the more all rounder type (although I think this is less true than maybe 20 years ago, as the Tour has got more lumpy and less time trial heavy - Vuelta still tends to have at least one super-steep climb more brutal than anything in the TdF).

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 09 Sep 2024, 11:49 am

mountain man wrote:I'm not sure Radcliffe be ploughing millions in without results from team for too long.

He might want to ask how they are spending his millions. Looks like next season is another season without an obvious grand tour leader. Rodriguez, Pidcock, Bernal et al are the obvious ones again but unless it's a big step up they won't get close. There's a raft of young talent coming in, including the under 23 world champion and the two stage winning Pablo Castillo is also rumoured. Not causing concern for the big boys though is it.

Still can't get over the lack of a move for Simon Yates.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Mon 09 Sep 2024, 12:56 pm

For TdF and Giro it's who can compete with Pogacar and Vinngegaard and really only Evenepoel is anywhere near them especially if they are near best. Pidcock I don't think quite has it for GC at top level, Bernal seems unlikely but who knows if he gets a good run of form. Rodriguez maybe in contention for podium but it's hard to see anyone other than Pogacar or Vingegaard 1 and 2.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Mon 09 Sep 2024, 3:21 pm

Azabache wrote:But budgets-and hence riders signed-may be decisive here; looking up some stats, I see the following estimated amounts:
UAE-€60M; Ineos-€55M; Visma-€55M;......Bora-€30M
Red Bull have been increasing their involvement in the team, think the gap might be smaller than that now.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Azabache Mon 09 Sep 2024, 10:26 pm

Was really pleased to see O'Connor on the podium after his endeavours.

The Tour of Britain almost got overlooked with the Vuelta still running! Apart from one change with the highlights prog. scheduling, at least the ITV4 coverage had the dream commentating team of Boulting and Millar. I assume that Evenepoel was treating it as almost a training/warm-up. Good to see a British winner, and Alaphilippe entertaining. Cav. appeared for interviews at the finale and received at least if not more recognition for his TdF achievements than he got in Paris.

I fear that Roglic is now too "old"-35 next season-with the likes of the 3 or 4 mentioned above. It would need him to be super fit and accident free, with some hiccups affecting the others, which no-one would wish on them of course. He may round off his remarkable career Poulidor-like of course if he's so minded....

Azabache

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6