The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's Summer of Cricket 2024

+18
Mind the windows Tino.
Marky
wisden
dummy_half
Pal Joey
Soul Requiem
KP_fan
GSC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Pebbles
king_carlos
JDizzle
Lowlandbrit
Jetty
VTR
guildfordbat
alfie
Duty281
22 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 - Page 18 Empty England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by Duty281 Fri 05 Apr 2024, 11:27 am

First topic message reminder :

Now the County Championship has begun, it is officially summer once more. Don't let the rain tell you otherwise!

We can talk about promising county performances, the build up to the World T20, and Ollie Robinson's latest injury when it happens. Then, in just under two months, England start playing games:

England v Pakistan, four T20s, 22nd May-30th May
World T20 in June
England v West Indies, three tests, 10th July-30th July
England v Sri Lanka, three tests, 21st August-10th September
England v Australia, three T20s, 11th September-15th September
England v Australia, five ODIs, 19th September-29th September

It's a bit of a pressure summer for England. The ODI side made the most disappointing defence of a World Cup crown since France in the football in 2002, so there's pressure on the T20 side, and Mott in particular, to deliver something decent in the Caribbean.

For the test match side, it's been three series without a series win for England, so the expectation is on for England to get back to winning ways against the West Indies and Sri Lanka. The West Indies often cause England a few troubles, but England have won their last seven home series v the West Indies, dating back to 2000, and you have to go back to 1988 for the last time the West Indies won a series in England.

Sri Lanka are visiting for the first time in eight years for a test series, so it's well overdue. They've certainly managed to upset England in the past, very famously in 1998, but also in 2014, so it's a series that cannot be taken for granted.

And to round off the summer the ECB are making a dash for cash, with eight limited overs games against the Aussies in the fading September light, in games that will probably be forgotten in no time at all.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Pal Joey, guildfordbat, alfie and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 - Page 18 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by alfie Thu 22 Aug 2024, 5:47 pm

Light meters out...we might not be on much longer. Depends on how much De Silva wants to go on with spin both ends I guess. England into the lead...

alfie

Back to top Go down

England's Summer of Cricket 2024 - Page 18 Empty Re: England's Summer of Cricket 2024

Post by alfie Thu 22 Aug 2024, 5:52 pm

And just as the commentator notes that nothing much has done anything from the spinners since Brook fell...another one rips through Woakes Wink Turned sharply and skidded...

So six down now and just 3 ahead . Guess we will be going on a bit longer then...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 22 Aug 2024, 6:00 pm

Very nice from Jayasuriya. Was starting to wonder if Woakes' chances of overseas touring would be boosted through his exploits with the bat.

Smith, another mature and measured innings. Wouldn't guess he's new to the test game, as he has taken to it very well.

Lead of 16, six down.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 22 Aug 2024, 6:05 pm

Very mature knock here from. Smith. Nothing silly , but milking the spinners nicely with some good placement and keen running. 250 up : and the light must be holding up ok with AM Fernando allowed to bowl. Sri Lanka have done well but you sense they need to strike again before this lead gets away from them as even a modest deficit could be telling.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Thu 22 Aug 2024, 6:10 pm

...and we're off... De Silva prefers to rest his players if the seamers can't bowl so 259/6 it is. Not a bad day despite the weather. England on top but far from out of sight so on we go tomorrow...hopefully with better weather !

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 22 Aug 2024, 6:10 pm

And that'll be that for the day.

Similar to a couple of the innings v the West Indies, I think England will be a bit frustrated. Plenty of bats getting starts, none yet kicking on to the truly big, match winning scores, although Smith might still do that.

Sri Lanka have plugged away well and kept chipping away. A Fernando the best overall bowler, but Jayasuriya producing two pearlers also. If they can keep the lead below 75 they're still in it. Their batting order managed a much better go of things the second time round v the Lions, the same is required again.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 22 Aug 2024, 6:12 pm

Looks dry tomorrow, but Saturday and Sunday have a fair bit of rain currently forecast, so can't rule out the draw from here.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Aug 2024, 9:19 pm

Jamie Smith is a ludicrous talent with the bat. Some of those strokes through mid wicket are Pietersen-esque in their dismissiveness. Ludicrous
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat and Jetty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Thu 22 Aug 2024, 11:16 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Jamie Smith is a ludicrous talent with the bat. Some of those strokes through mid wicket are Pietersen-esque in their dismissiveness. Ludicrous

A similar talent to Brook but he plays the short ball better. England had a woefully barren period for producing batters but Brook and Smith have such high ceilings.

king_carlos

guildfordbat and Jetty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 6:10 am

Game interestingly poised with a slender lead and not a lot of batting left. Smith will hope to marshal the tail for another 60 or so - has made a good start with some sensible work with Atkinson. If (if !) the weather allows we could see a tight finish as Sri Lanka might not be unhappy trying to defend even a fairly modest fourth innings target on this (somewhat variable ?) surface.

Long way to go so will wait and see. Meanwhile I see Stone (who many wanted to see play here ) hasn't had much joy against Durham - going round the park for 0/87 from just 15 overs ... at least he's getting a bit of a workout. And Trescothick apparently interested in the white ball coaching job : will be interesting to see how his temporary period in charge shapes next month.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Aug 2024, 7:59 am

Game is interestingly poised indeed.

Lankan bowling lacks X factor & needs something in the pitch / atmosphere.
They hooped the new ball around, got some surprising reverse also & picked first 3 quickly when there was help for seamers
Then Eng had 3 steady partnerships

Then Jaisurya found grip & ripped a couple of deliveries across the entire width of stumps effecting the hardest & most spectacular of  dismissals in cricket..... an away seaming / spinning delivery clean bowling a RHB.

Those rippers will with be fewer deliveries apart in 4th inning & he needs to land just 5 or 6 such deliveries perfectly.
And they have D Silva & Mendis ( who can bowl with right and left arm) as spin options.

Game hangs in balance which will tilt depending on how much last 4 wkts of Eng can deliver today.
The forward play as it unravels, if it leaves 200+ chase in 4th inning...I would put SL favorite.

Eng would like the chase to be no more than 120 which I reckon would be the total comfort zone
and after than every 20 and 10 runs will make it increasingly uncomfortable.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 9:19 am

The draw is 16/1, which I think is a bit generous. Met Office currently reckoning it'll rain between 10:00 and 15:00/16:00 tomorrow, and then a high chance of rain throughout Sunday. BBC believing it'll rain between 11:00 and 15:00 tomorrow, and then have a 70% chance of rain from 13:00 onwards for Sunday. Looks to be dry today, pleasingly.

These forecasts can obviously change, and it might even be all over today, but a determined and improved SL batting effort in the third innings could bring the draw well into view if the Met Office/BBC are accurate.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Aug 2024, 9:33 am

Duty281 wrote:The draw is 16/1, which I think is a bit generous. Met Office currently reckoning it'll rain between 10:00 and 15:00/16:00 tomorrow, and then a high chance of rain throughout Sunday. BBC believing it'll rain between 11:00 and 15:00 tomorrow, and then have a 70% chance of rain from 13:00 onwards for Sunday. Looks to be dry today, pleasingly.

These forecasts can obviously change, and it might even be all over today, but a determined and improved SL batting effort in the third innings could bring the draw well into view if the Met Office/BBC are accurate.

How many overs can they play Maximum today ?
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 9:40 am

Not sure I would ever trust a BBC Weather Forecast Smile

But hopefully will be enough time to see a result . 16 wickets gone in 135 overs suggests if the pitch gets no easier one might need only another 200 odd over three days to make it to 40 so maybe that isn't too outrageous ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 10:04 am

KP_fan wrote:
Duty281 wrote:The draw is 16/1, which I think is a bit generous. Met Office currently reckoning it'll rain between 10:00 and 15:00/16:00 tomorrow, and then a high chance of rain throughout Sunday. BBC believing it'll rain between 11:00 and 15:00 tomorrow, and then have a 70% chance of rain from 13:00 onwards for Sunday. Looks to be dry today, pleasingly.

How many overs can they play Maximum today ?

96 or 98 I think, if they're still catching up.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 23 Aug 2024, 10:06 am

alfie wrote:Game interestingly poised with a slender lead and not a lot of batting left. Smith will hope to marshal the tail for another 60 or so - has made a good start with some sensible work with Atkinson. If (if !) the weather allows we could see a tight finish as Sri Lanka might not be unhappy trying to defend even a fairly modest fourth innings target on this (somewhat variable ?) surface.

Long way to go so will wait and see. ....

Hi Alfie - I don't strongly disagree with your comments but am more optimistic than you and KP_f about England's chances of winning.

When looking at England's tail, the one most out of place is Atkinson at 8. He's really a number 9 at this stage. However, a score of 30 is not beyond him if he combines calmness with the odd bit of biffing - it's usually the former that lets him down! I've no problem with Potts (3 fc fifties and an impressive -149* - ton this year) and Wood at 9 and 10. Although Bashir is in the ferret category when it comes to scoring runs, I've seen him frustrate Surrey's bowlers at the Oval by sticking around whilst Gregory went big at the other end.

IF the oh so impressive Smith can continue where he left off yesterday and a couple of the above can stick with him for a while, the limit of your ''another 60 or so'' will be exceeded. Not to say it will happen but it's definitely possible and a realistic aim at the start of play. IF achieved, that should be it for Sri Lanka. I doubt they'll be able to set a stretching target with hopefully enough sunlight for our speedsters to blast 'em out. I suppose it could still come back to haunt us but as we both thought at the end of day one, I maintain it was a good decision by Pope to hurry the game along and sacrifice 30 or 40 runs to take the final two Sri Lanka wickets.

As you rightly say, ''Long way to go so will wait and see'' but I believe the home dressing room should be the happier one right now.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 23 Aug 2024, 11:03 am

It is 11:02 and we're yet to have a ball bowled because Sri Lanka's fielder didn't have shin pads on - a microcosm of the contempt with which paying customers are treated when it comes to over rates.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 11:18 am

Smith looking to get on with it right from the start this morning.... brighter weather  ; and a dryer outfield meaning more value for shots as A Fernando has an expensive start to the day. Tourists need to be careful not to let England get away too quickly and undo all their good work from yesterday. New ball a long way off yet...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 11:28 am

Hi Guildford...Don't get me wrong : I am also fairly confident of an England win ...was just "making the case" for Sri Lanka to believe in their chances. (Which I'm not sure they really do judging by their early signs this morning !) Certainly won't be surprised if England kick on well over 300 , though hardly guaranteed. Even a lead of seventy or so would have England favourites in my book......but at least overnight nothing was written in stone...which is a good thing from a competitive point of view
Have to say it's all England so far today...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 11:40 am

On the "staying on the field" business : I am not sure Sri Lanka were wise to go off last night , even if the pace men couldn't bowl. In dull conditions, it was surely a decent possibility that they might have engineered a break - and if they'd snared Smith things would be very different now. All ifs and buts of course.
Incidentally I heard a bit about Sri Lanka having "three spinners " pre-game : but other than Jayasuriya we've hardly seen any evidence of them. Seems De Silva rates his other options no higher than , say , Root and Lawrence...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 11:48 am

Sri Lanka tightening it up now after a pretty loose start.

Maybe a few nerves for Smith as he closes in on a ton. Should have got a ton earlier in the summer of course. Atkinson batting like Foakes at the other end. Very Happy

New ball in eight overs.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 23 Aug 2024, 11:53 am

Sri Lanka were a shambles in that first half hour, they've tightened up since then but a poor tone to set for the day.

Lead beyond 50 now
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:01 pm

Little picky point that rather annoys me....

We just saw an lbw appeal (turned down) from which the batsmen ran a single. Commentator noted that the umpire then waited until the drs timer ran out before signalling leg byes ...My question why ? DRS isn't designed to be a " trap" , so what difference does it make whether he reveals he thinks the batsman didn't hit it ? Bit silly , I think.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:04 pm

Smith on 98. Might be feeling a bit tight. Atkinson doing a good support job and I think we may see some fireworks once he gets the milestone...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:04 pm

Century for Smith. clap

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:04 pm

Hundred up ! Well played Smith...

alfie

Pal Joey likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:08 pm

...and out goes Gus...he's done his job anyway. Rathnayake gets his first wicket with a right old strangle. Time for a cuppa...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:12 pm

that was a shocking piece of referral by on-field umps, on what was an Black & White and an Open & Shut Case., esp given that they had the front & leg umpires view.

and to top that do they really have the obligation or even right to call ultra edge when the referral was for only a fair catch ?

Looked like the umpires combined were looking for any possible excuses to deny Lanka there.
KP_fan
KP_fan

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:24 pm

Oh that's a fine catch by Chandimal to get Smith ! Nelson strikes...end of a very good and high valuable innings. Lead just 79 ...Wood might have a swing ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:25 pm

Youngest ever England wicketkeeper to make a century - decent.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

guildfordbat, Jetty and VTR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:31 pm

Sharp catch that one. Smith looked disappointed with not scoring even more, which I think is a great sign.

New ball for Sri Lanka and they'll still hope to keep the lead below three figures.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:41 pm

England tail wagging nicely.. lead starting to look pretty threatening already....though as I type Wood's fun comes to an end. 112 and probably not too many more ? You'd think that will likely be decisive anyway..

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:55 pm

358ao. Very good lead.

Let's see if the Sri Lankan top order has more fight about it the second time around.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:57 pm

So all done in time for lunch with 122 runs on...Smith the top man but everyone contributed a bit except Pope... Four for AM Fernando, the pick of the bowlers though he took a bit of tap today. Sri Lanka going to need big runs from someone if they're to set a proper target...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Aug 2024, 12:59 pm

The Pitch has been very well behaved today.
Lanka's Task is simple.....to get 322+...they will do the heavy roller...there should be no moisture.

Good Effort from Fernando and Smith clap clap
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 1:04 pm

No lunch? They've come out now. Confusing times.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 1:10 pm

Early strike for Woakes. Not the first ill-judged leave we've seen in this test!

And Atkinson now moves one away from Mendis to take the outside edge. Nice, full delivery.

This could be over today...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Fri 23 Aug 2024, 1:13 pm

Duty281 wrote:No lunch? They've come out now. Confusing times.

1st and 2nd session increased by 15 min each.
And last session by 30 min
KP_fan
KP_fan

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 1:15 pm

Ha....hadn't realised they were playing an extended session !
Sri Lanka in danger of losing this today after this dreadful start... 2/2 in a reprise of their first innings start...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 23 Aug 2024, 1:20 pm

Duty281 wrote:Sharp catch that one. Smith looked disappointed with not scoring even more, which I think is a great sign.

New ball for Sri Lanka and they'll still hope to keep the lead below three figures.

I was going to say just the same, Duty. A very fine innings from Smith but even with a maiden Test century departing with a hunger for more runs.

Handy and consistent runs from England's tail too. Numbers 7, 8, 9 and 10 all scoring between 17 and 25 with Woakes and Atkinson both featuring in half-century partnerships with Smith.

Facing a deficit of 122, it'll take Sri Lanka something special with bat and ball to get back into this Test as their second dig gets off to the worst possible start! Fernando leaving one from Woakes to be skittled and Mendis well taken low down by Smith to continue his excellent day from an Atkinson delivery. A tricky fifteen minutes for sure before lunch - that's exactly why I (and my much betters at Surrey) try to avoid giving the opposition a whole interval to prepare for their innings.

guildfordbat

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:03 pm

Interesting choice to restart with Bashir straight after lunch ?

Would have thought the pace men were doing quite well and only three overs done...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:12 pm

England not doing very well with reviews in this match Didnt look an awful shout , to be fair . But height was always a risk.

Bashir experiment short lived.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:28 pm

Looks very nice for batting at the moment. Mathews and Karunaratne settling after lunch and with a good chance to score.

Wasn't a good review from England earlier, I think.

Might see Wood loading up his missiles soon.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:44 pm

Matthews and Karunaratne batting quite comfortably now with a handy fifty partnership...Might be time to ask Wood to try and shake them up a bit ? But looks like back to Bashir...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:44 pm

The draw/tie getting 0% on WinViz. Very Happy

Clearly they don't believe in the power of Manchester rain.

England going back to Bashir as this partnership reaches 50.

Duty281

alfie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:49 pm

Paul Reiffel isn't having a particularly good game
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:50 pm

Didn't take Wood long to have an impact...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 2:51 pm

Good bowling change. Wood's heat seeking missile does the job immediately.

Batsman really didn't look sure on whether he touched it, so I was surprised he didn't review. But he did get a little touch so would have been a wasted review.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 23 Aug 2024, 3:18 pm

Fresh from fracturing Sinclair's forearm, Wood has now battered Chandimal's thumb and forced him off.

Vicious stuff. Dhananjaya now having to come out and face the heat.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 23 Aug 2024, 3:20 pm

That's rotten luck for Chandimal- and Sri Lanka. Doesn't bode well for his keeping later either- cruel indeed as he was brilliant behind the stumps earlier. Not fun facing Wood when he's able to give everything in short bursts.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next