The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Autumn Fixtures

+18
demosthenes
Mcsweens
tigertattie
George Carlin
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
funnyExiledScot
TJ
Tramptastic
RDW
Anglobraveheart
BigGee
Highland Shaun
mikey_dragon
Hazel Sapling
doctor_grey
NeilyBroon
bsando
22 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Scotland Autumn Fixtures  Empty Scotland Autumn Fixtures

Post by bsando Sat 06 Apr 2024, 1:18 pm

Scotland Autumn 2024 Fixtures

Moving on from the Summer development tour, here are this years AI fixtures which will include a Scotland A vs Chile fixture on the final weekend. Plenty to be excited about as the new club season begins this weekend and depth is steadily improving.

Week 1
Scotland v Fiji
Scottish Gas Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh
Saturday 2nd November 2024
Kick-off: 5:40pm

Week 2
Scotland v South Africa
Sunday 10th November 2024
Kick-off: 4:10pm

Week 3
Scotland v Portugal
Saturday 16th November 2024
Kick-off: 3:10pm

Week 4
Scotland A vs Chile
Hive Stadium Edinburgh
Saturday 23rd November 2024
Kick-off: 6:00pm

Scotland v Australia
Sunday 24th November 2024
Kick-off: 1:40pm

Last edited by bsando on Wed 18 Sep 2024, 7:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn Fixtures  Empty Re: Scotland Autumn Fixtures

Post by NeilyBroon Sat 06 Apr 2024, 3:53 pm

bsando wrote:North American Fixtures

Saturday 6 July: Canada v Scotland, TD Place, Ottawa

Friday 12 July: USA v Scotland, Audi Field, Washington DC

South American Fixtures

Saturday 20 July: Chile v Scotland, Estadio Nacional, Santiago

Saturday 27 July: Uruguay v Scotland, Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo

Opposition World Rankings

Canada 21st
USA 17th
Chile 23rd
Uruguay 18th

Scotland Squad

[TBC]

Talking Points

Primed to be a development tour, Scotland will face four sides outside the top ten ranked rugby teams in world rugby.  

Despite a poor World Cup and a poor Six Nations, Scotland will have an opportunity to develop fringe players. Who knows, perhaps we will have a bolter or two link up with the squad?

With Glasgow flying high in the URC it is highly likely that many soon to be capped players will come from the Warriors camp.

With Russell and Darge being Co-Captains for the Six Nations will we see a new Captain selected to lead the squad this Summer?

Which players will most likely be rested and not be a part of the touring squad?

My money is on Russell being rested along with Ben white, Shug, Tuipolotu and Kinghorn. All will have key involvement with their clubs in the final run up.

Hastings to make a return from injury maybe?

Thompson to be given a run out to try and improve his credentials, his jersey seems to be on a shoogly peg.

This leaves Healy as our first choice flyhalf.

Paterson has the 15 shirt, could push Ollie smith out of contention, or even Kinghorn given his recent gaffs.

Gus warr to be approached, Ashfar to be capped, speedy reedy to be capped, hiddleston, Williamson and the Thane of Cawdor.

Mbawza may get a chance to captain again to provide experience, alternatively could we see a Stafford lordship?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 06 Apr 2024, 8:33 pm

A number of people and props from my club are going to Washington for the USA-Scotland match.  Haven't decided if I want to go yet, but if someone arranges a bus, then I will be there cheering for......

Also, forgot to mention, Finn Russell went off with what may have been a groin (from just watching him shuffle off). Hopefully just a twinge, but he looked quite uncomfortable.

doctor_grey

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 08 Apr 2024, 2:08 pm

Still a while away but pretty much most of the RWC squad should not be on this tour. They have not had a proper break in two years. Exceptions should be for forwards who had injuries keeping them out a few months or backs who saw minimal time.

My preliminary squad would be (young player going for exp)

LH: Hepburn, McBeth, M Jones?, Smyth
HK: Matthews, Hiddelston, Fraser/Harrison
TH: Sebastian, McCallum, Walker/Hurd, Norrie
LK: J Gray, McDonald, Williamson, Sykes, Hodgson
BR: Crosbie, Bayliss, Bradbury, Gordon, Ferrie/Brown, Muncaster

SH: Dobie, Vellacott, Warr
FH: Healy, Thomson, Jordan (if qualified)
Centres: McDowall, Lang, Currie, Hutchinson
Back Three: Steyn, Rowe, Patterson, Reed, Maitland

Probably have a couple of injuries in there but think that has some experienced players to provide the standard and still allows the vast majority of the RWC squad a break

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 08 Apr 2024, 2:47 pm

Alex Craig as well? He was linked with a relocation back to Scotland to play for one of your clubs, anyone heard anything?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 08 Apr 2024, 11:34 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:Still a while away but pretty much most of the RWC squad should not be on this tour. They have not had a proper break in two years. Exceptions should be for forwards who had injuries keeping them out a few months or backs who saw minimal time.

My preliminary squad would be (young player going for exp)

LH: Hepburn, McBeth, M Jones?, Smyth
HK: Matthews, Hiddelston, Fraser/Harrison
TH: Sebastian, McCallum, Walker/Hurd, Norrie
LK: J Gray, McDonald, Williamson, Sykes, Hodgson
BR: Crosbie, Bayliss, Bradbury, Gordon, Ferrie/Brown, Muncaster

SH: Dobie, Vellacott, Warr
FH: Healy, Thomson, Jordan (if qualified)
Centres: McDowall, Lang, Currie, Hutchinson
Back Three: Steyn, Rowe, Patterson, Reed, Maitland

Probably have a couple of injuries in there but think that has some experienced players to provide the standard and still allows the vast majority of the RWC squad a break

Only one bolter in Gus Warr 🤔, I would say Fergus Burke is a possibile bolter too thumbsup. When is Tom Jordan eligible anyway, is it summer or autumn?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 09 Apr 2024, 8:56 am

Tom Jordan does not qualify until the autumn, so he won't be going. I guess Hastings is an option is he can get himself fit again.

I imagine as well that there will be a few more experienced players in the squad than that that will help bring some of the youngsters on. I am not sure that just taking players to make up the numbers will be really helpful. Taking young players is only good if he feels they have the potential to develop into full international players in the future.

Maybe some of the WC squads who did not really get much game time. George Horne, Cameron Redpath, Luke Crosbie spring to mind and maybe a few others.

I am not sure that Sean Maitland will fancy a trip to South America at this stage in his career and I suspect his Scotland career may well be over now.

If ever there was a tour to take a few bolters that we have not heard of, then surely this is it.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Tue 09 Apr 2024, 9:45 am

Struggling on bolters. Roebuck committed to England and Dingwall got capped. Assume Beetham will play for Wales. Don't see Fergus Burke committing to us on the summer tour having just come off a serious achilles injury and then moving to Saracens.

Any props who could be tempted across or get plucked from the Championship, I am all ears.

As for Maitland, I chucked him in but agree, his time is done. In an ideal world, Townsend says do you fancy a trip around the Americas and acting as a quasi-coach with the young guys.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 09 Apr 2024, 10:51 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:Struggling on bolters. Roebuck committed to England and Dingwall got capped. Assume Beetham will play for Wales. Don't see Fergus Burke committing to us on the summer tour having just come off a serious achilles injury and then moving to Saracens.

Any props who could be tempted across or get plucked from the Championship, I am all ears.

As for Maitland, I chucked him in but agree, his time is done. In an ideal world, Townsend says do you fancy a trip around the Americas and acting as a quasi-coach with the young guys.

Maits doesn't strike me as someone who is overly keen on coaching but I may be wrong! Great player, mind.

I expect reed will be capped on the wing. Jake Henry may get a chance off the bench? Will Darcy be fit by summer? Might be a good tour for him to get back up to speed.

Shaun, also doubt burke is up for a cap, it'd not be in his interest or Scotland's to rush him in, he also needs to prove himself first! We need to try and get our incumbents up to speed as collectively they've probably had about 10 minutes game time for Scotland.

LH: Bhatti, the Scottish play, Tiffany/Mikey J
Hooker: Ashman, Hiddleston, Matthews
TH: Sebastian, Williams? Rae? Walker? Mill man?
Locks: Williamson, principal, Johnny g, Craig? CHH?
BR: Mbawza, Boyle, Muncaster, Crosbie, Bayliss, Fagerson?

SH: Horne, House elf, Ashfar, Warr not sure about bolters other than that just please no Edinburgh SHs!
FH: Healey, Thompson, Hastings
Centres: Stafford, Currie, Hutch, Redpath, Seaman
OB: Reed, Rowe, Patterson, Henry, Darcy

There'll no doubt be a random bloke from Tiverton who once drank irn bru as the bolter!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 09 Apr 2024, 12:54 pm

Maitland won an award at Saracens for his voluntary work in the community. Not coaching but he clearly likes to get involved with helping others. Before he was dropped he used to always say he was keen to play for Scotland. I think the last tour to the USA he told Toonie he wanted to be involved but Toonie rested him. Most likely his time is done but yeah he was let go too soon despite the rise of Graham and VDM.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 30 Apr 2024, 10:55 pm

Who is this Freddy Douglas who is being touted in Scottish Rugby News site to go on tour 🤔🤔?

https://www.scotlandrugbynews.com/edinburgh-rugby/24289021.teenage-tyro-freddy-douglas-backed-scotland-call-up/

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 30 Apr 2024, 11:23 pm

He was one of the few shining lights of this years U20s. He outplayed a few well regarded bsckrows a cross the tournament apparently.

You do wonder if he might be better served getting the U20s back into the world group though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Thu 02 May 2024, 11:22 pm

If Freddy Douglas gets elevated to the full squad it could ruin him.
He needs to make the u20s as strong as possible and help set them up for next season. I think he's young enough for next season too?
I will benefit him and Scotland in the long run if he is managed carefully.

I don't think that it did Adam Ashe any favours being first capped v South Africa when he was 20, or Magnus Bradbury when he was capped aged 21.

Let's give FD the chance to develop. It's not like we are short of back row options across our pro squad. Bayliss, Crosbie, Christie, Ferrie, Gregor Brown, Ally Miller, Connor Boyle, Ben Muncaster.
Plus Ritchie, Bradbury, Darge, Watson as experienced player options.
I see no logic in rushing Freddy Douglas into the full squad. He's still only 18 FGS.

Anglobraveheart

Hazel Sapling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 04 May 2024, 11:13 pm

Good to see Hastings back playing in the semi final - I feared he was out for the season. Played well too.

He could be a good experienced head for the summer tour. He'll be desperate for gametime and with moving to Glasgow there should be no issues.

Give him 2 games and Healy the other 2?

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 05 May 2024, 8:54 pm

I agree, I’d even suggest kinghorn starting a game at fly half. One attribute I liked about Toonie at Glasgow was how he swapped the positions up regularly. His more conservative game plan for Scotland could still allow kinghorn another go at fly half this summer. I think it’s good to a have a few versatile players in any squad.

Hastings is a class player and he’ll hopefully show his best rugby for Glasgow when he returns.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 05 May 2024, 10:22 pm

Suspect Kinghorn will be given the summer off, not least because it looks like Toulouse's season will be going the distance.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sun 26 May 2024, 11:05 pm

I see England named their training squad earlier today so when are we likely to name ours 🤔?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 27 May 2024, 9:39 am

Highland Shaun wrote:I see England named their training squad earlier today so when are we likely to name ours 🤔?

Bearing in mind that was a training squad minus all the players still in knockout rugby!

Suspect once glasgow and edinburgh have both been eliminated in the quarters of the URC he'll announce his squad!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 27 May 2024, 11:12 pm

How dare you @Tramptastic, Glasgow are going all the way 😛😛!!

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 28 May 2024, 6:14 am

Nah, the general still seems to have an issue with playing an actual 10 at 10! They'll get picked apart by a team with a decent kicking game - if the table finished as it currently stands then glasgow would be playing the stormers in the knock outs... Mannie Libbok v duncan wier or tom jordan? Not even a contest

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 28 May 2024, 10:15 am

Any idea who might be captain? Is Darge the man to continue there?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 28 May 2024, 10:30 am

bsando wrote:Any idea who might be captain? Is Darge the man to continue there?

You'd hope so, still looking to see that he has leadership credentials in the first place and this tour would be ideal.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 02 Jun 2024, 8:00 pm

I'd like to see Thompson get some game time. Healey has shown nowt with Edinburgh. Hastings will be number 1 pick I guess?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 03 Jun 2024, 7:49 am

I would expect Hastings to tour. I’m not sure if Thompson has had enough game time for Glasgow this season to warrant an international call up. He’s going to get a lot more next season you’d imagine but if you’re only taking two tens the Hastings and Healy would be the most likely candidates unless they want to rest Healy who has played a lot of games.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 04 Jun 2024, 7:59 am

England have named Roebuck in their squad for Japan and England. So that effectively ends any chance of him playing for Scotland. It seems inevitable that he is capped for England on this tour and he played very well for Sale against Bath at the weekend.

If there is a concerted effort to lure dual nationals into the Scotland camp I would think that it’s been quite a poor return recently. Warr hasn’t committed, roebuck and Smith have gone with England. Not a hot topic but are Scotland failing to convince dual nationals to get behind the thistle? What is it that could be putting them off?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Tue 04 Jun 2024, 9:08 am

Match fees - England match fee is 20k (probably more by now), Scotland match fee is 5k (same caveat)

I also think its gauging where the player thinks they can get more game time. So with Roebuck, who are his rivals for the wing shirt? Duhan, D'arcy, Steyn, Rowe, Kinghorn, Smith, Paterson, Reed... You could argue the first two names are penned in for every match when fit. So thats an immediate reduction in your probability on getting picked in a shirt that is only, financially, worth a quarter of another one.

Warr was in the six nations training squad for most of the tournament, he just didnt get picked! Smith is also proper good but has Russell ahead of him and decent competition from Hastings, whereas for England, Ford is not quite the player he was, Farrell is off and Smith can be a bit hot and cold in an England shirt.

Tramptastic

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 04 Jun 2024, 9:13 am

Warr may possibly be a bolter for this upcoming squad, he does not seem to be in England's immediate orbit and was not picked in their upcoming training squad. He certainly seems a more rounded player than Vellacott

BigGee
Admin
Admin

bsando and Tramptastic like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 04 Jun 2024, 10:33 pm

I do rate Warr. Good busy 9. Still think we're overlooking Vellacott though, particularly as a potential impact sub.

If Roebuck were to choose Scotland I'd be thrilled. Class act, and with Darcy's injury record I reckon the 14 jersey would soon be his (he'd make a great 15 as well in my view).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Wed 05 Jun 2024, 9:22 am

FES - i think Roebuck is gone, he's in the England training squad again for the 3rd(?) time.

I see Vellacott as a like for like player with Horne. Very busy, sniping scrum half.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Jun 2024, 9:37 am

It is interesting that Quirk is in the England squad, yet not Warr, who has been starting ahead of him all season at Sale ( albeit that RQ has had some injuries)

Maybe Warr gas now committed to Scotland or if if not this might be an incentive. If they could get him up to Edinburgh that would be no bad thing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 05 Jun 2024, 10:12 am

Or perhaps more likely Glasgow. Dobie and Horne are great scrum halves and having Warr in that squad would create some healthy competition. Dobie seems like a pretty decent winger as well so at least he can still contribute in other ways. 

Edinburgh with Price, Shiel and Vellacott are pretty stacked at 9 despite most of us probably feeling a bit meh about Shiel now.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 05 Jun 2024, 10:17 am

Hmm, I think Edinburgh have lacked a decent SH all season and it has told.

Shei - as pretty much everyone agrees now, is really not good enough

Price - very much in the twilight of his career and may fancy a money move to France to end it

Vellacott - a proven bench option but also struggles to manage a game.

They had hoped that Price would give them what they needed at SH but it has not really happened.

Glasgow with Horne, Dobie and Afshar coming up quickly are in a much better space

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 06 Jun 2024, 10:12 am

Thistle pod are reporting the Warr will be named in the Scotland summer squad

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 06 Jun 2024, 11:57 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Thistle pod are reporting the Warr will be named in the Scotland summer squad

Seems like a good move all round.

We could potentially see him, Dobie and Ashfar all going if he decides to leave all the EC squad at home. I suspect he will take Horne though, at least for the first 2 games in North America

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 06 Jun 2024, 1:02 pm

You may be right, but sensibly it might make sense to leave Horne at home. Purely because he was involved in the WC at the end of last season, he's hopefully going to be playing a few more games this season and then to take him away this summer as well would be a lot of rugby, especially as I doubt he'd get much of a rest before going into preseason.

As much as possible I'd be giving the lads who were involved in the WC and are mainstays of their club sides, the summer off to recover, get over any niggles and be ready for the coming season and 6N.

EWT Spoons

Hazel Sapling likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Sun 09 Jun 2024, 11:02 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-13510885/Sale-Sharks-star-Warr-named-Townsends-Scotland-squad-summer-tour-North-South-America.html

Looks like Gus Warr is indeed a go. This article also name checks Fergus Burke and Jack Singleton 😱😱😱.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Jun 2024, 7:41 am

Squad is out this Wednesday apparently

Singleton has been mentioned previously but never signed on, so I suspect that is unlikely. Sometimes when they sign contracts in France it is on the basis that they don't make themselves available for international rugby as well. Was certainly the case with CDP, I remember him mentioning that in an interview.

Getting Burke to sign up would be an exciting development though and may be much more likely, if he sees a better path to international rugby with us.

He may decide to hedge his bets for now though.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Jun 2024, 8:08 am

Can see Burkes career path already - get capped, Sarries develop him into a quality player, moves to Edinburgh in a couple of years to try and become Scotland first choice and his career dies in a ditch!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:34 am

Singleton and Burke seem like filler/pure speculation names in that article.

Could just be me, but it felt like Warr joining up is the story and the author is chucking another couple of names into the mix who are SQ just to add a bit of meat to the article. Especially as they basically call out that Singleton is unlikely to get the call at this stage.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 10 Jun 2024, 10:37 am

Anyone want to take a stab on a realistic team selection, making assumptions on those who will be better rested?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 10 Jun 2024, 12:31 pm

Before going any further, please read this in the context that my selection is primarily based on this tour being a chance to give some youngsters/fringe players a run out.  If a player was involved in the WC, then I have tried to leave them out.  With a couple of exceptions, only because they were used very sparingly.

Looseheads
Hislop – Decent club player, not sure if he’s going to be the future in the role, but I’m trying to leave the like of Schoeman at home
McBeth – Maybe the same as Hislop, I’ve not seen enough of him to say one way or the other, but figure he can have a shot
??

Hookers
Harrison – Decent young player
George Turner – If he’s away to Japan, this might be his last run out for Scotland.  Then again they might decide to let him move early and acclimatize
A Fraser/Hiddleston – Glasgow fans will need to help me with this one, not sure which one is more likely to travel

Tightheads
Rae – He’s not great, but I’m filling numbers here
Walker -  He seems to be up and coming and hopefully the future at TH
??

Locks
Hodgson – Decent lock, been around the Scotland setup for a bit.
Sykes – See Hodgson, but with less caps
Williamson – Part of a good Glasgow pack, probably deserves to go as a reward
Samuel – See Williamson

Outside shots – Craig, Henderson – Both could be options as well

Backrow
Boyle – I see him as very similar to Darge, but with less experience. Reason being he’s behind a lot of very good players at Edinburgh in the same position (although performances of the Edinburgh side would raise questions about the ‘Good players’ chat)
Crosbie – Bit of experience at International level, not overplayed so could cope with a trip with the national side
Muncaster – Good player, but options have been limited for him behind Bill and I think he’s been injured for a bit
Gordon – I’m not totally convinced by him, but I know a number of Glasgow fans are
Miller – Decent club player, not overplayed.
Mish – He’s not been over used as he wasn’t included in the WC squad and hasn’t played loads this season for Edinburgh.

Scrum Halfs
Warr – Rumours are he’s in, so may as well include him
Dobie – Probably the up and coming 9 in Scottish Rugby, or at least was.  Give him a chance
Price – Just want him away from Edinburgh so he may as well offer his experience on the tour
Ashfar – Maybe give him a run out.  He’s looked promising whenever I’ve seen him so could be a good experience for him.

Standoffs
Thompson – Torn on this one, part of me thinks leave him to settle at Edinburgh, but at the same time it might be better for his development to be away from there and learning from Toonie and co.
Scott – Exceptionally raw, but he’s not played loads this year and getting a run out with the national team might help him out.
No idea about the rest.  I wouldn’t take Russell as he’s played loads and came back to training early from the WC so he needs a break, Healy’s pish and he’s basically played every minute for Edinburgh so leave him to recover to fight for his place next season. Assume there must be someone else, but no idea who.  Maybe take Weir as a reward for having a good season, but he’s played quite a bit, is not a good 10 (sorry Glasgow fans) so nothing really to be gained from a Sco point of view in taking him.
Jordon – Is a good player, can cover 10 and centre so he’s probably in.

Centres
Currie – Has actually been okay for Edinburgh.  He’s played quite a bit, but not outrageous amounts and probably warrants a look by the national side
Struggling here, I wouldn’t really want to take the like of Jones, Tuipulotu or McDowell, only because they’ve had a fairly full on season and WC, but other than a rogue cap for Dean or Bennett (neither of whom deserve it) the cupboard is a bit bare here.
Hutchinson maybe, if he gets back from his injury in time.

Back 3
I’d leave Duhan at home, other than that, whoever is fit.  
Maybe take Reed
Rowe, is he injured?

I’ve lost enthusiasm for this now, so feel free to rip this to shreds.

EWT Spoons

George Carlin and bsando like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 11 Jun 2024, 11:23 am

I think that squad is maybe a bit too raw - we've still got to win the games! Id go for

LH - Bhattie, McBeth, Sutherland (is he fit?)
H - Ashman, Matthews, a youngster (Try Richardson?)
TH - Sebastian, Walker, Millar-Mills (prem winner!)
Lock - Skinner, Cummings (hasn't had huge minutes), Williamson, Sykes, Hodgeson
BR - Darge (C) Crosbie, Bayliss, Christie, youngster (Ferry, Muncaster, Boyle?)

SH - Horne, Dobie, Warr
SO - Hastings (desperate for gametime), Thomson, Healy
C - McDowell, Redpath, Jordan, Currie (is Jordan actually SQ..?)
Back 3 - Rowe, Steyn, whoever else gets fit in time! Hastings at 15?

I don't think any player there has had an excessive season, and we've got to remember our 6N rivals are taking fully loaded tour squads for their summer tours. Back 3 is a worry (which has been a strength for so long)

Toonie may also do as he's done previously and select some of the top international players but let them go home after the 2nd game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 11 Jun 2024, 11:56 am

I agree the squad I put out is very raw and I don’t for one second think that will be who Toonie chooses, however we are playing teams from 17 – 23rd in the world rankings.  With absolutely no disrespect to those teams, we should be beating them fairly handily.  I don’t think we can compare our summer tour to other 6n’s teams as they are playing against teams in the top 10 or at the very least the top 15.

I think we could take the squad I listed and still win each of those games.  I’d even fancy Edinburgh’s chances against them.

I wouldn't be against your squad but I would drop Horne, Darge and Steyn as they played in the WC and have been used pretty consistently all season for Glasgow.

EWT Spoons

bsando likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Tue 11 Jun 2024, 11:16 pm

DVDM and Tuipoluto going on tour according to The Mail, I wonder if both Tuipoluto's will be going :O?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 12 Jun 2024, 12:20 pm

Rumours that the following will be included

Robbie Smith - Saints Hooker (or alter boy as they are also known...I'll get my coat)
Gregor Brown - Glasgow Lock/Flanker
Finlay Richardson - Exeter Prop...I think
Paddy Harrison - Edinburgh Hooker (gentrification of Leith has really shaken things up)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 12 Jun 2024, 12:46 pm

Good effort Spoons and RDW, I’ve had a busy week so this is as good I’ve got. 

It could be a great tour for sussing out some new forward options. 

There’s so many players who are hovering on the fringes of more caps for their clubs and Scotland. It would be good to clean that up a bit and work out who is worth continuing with and who could move aside to allow new faces a look in. 

Macbeth will hopefully earn some decent game time and perhaps Angus Williams too? Matthews to tour as first choice hooker for me. 

Some of those young Glasgow back rows look pretty decent. Ditto the second row. From Edinburgh Boyle and Muncaster but perhaps this is a good tour to bring Bradbury back into the fold? Bayliss is one I’d bring too, he’s had great moments for Bath this season.

A few bolters wouldn’t go amiss for this tour. I really like the look of Ashfar, perhaps more so than Dobie who is absolutely capable but yet to explode onto the international scene. 

Jordan (if he’s qualified) would be a great player to tour. Hastings for me deserves a spot on the tour and I’d actually keep tuipulotu and make him captain for this one. 

Reed looks good at Sale so I’d have him. I’d leave Dean, Lang and Bennet. Bring Tuipulotu, Currie and McDowall with Jordan as a utility back.

Back three options are tricky. VDM has had a quiet club season so I’d actually be happy to see him tour. He’s still a work in progress in many ways, particularly in defence.

Are Paterson and Graham still out for this tour? It would be a good one for Paterson to develop further. 

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Jun 2024, 1:08 pm

10 UNCAPPED PLAYERS CALLED UP FOR SKYSCANNER AMERICAS TOUR
12 JUN 2024
Gregor Townsend has named a 37-man squad for the Skyscanner Americas Tour this summer, with 10 players in contention for an international debut in matches against Canada, USA, Chile and Uruguay.

Nathan McBeth, Patrick Harrison, Robbie Smith, Will Hurd, Max Williamson, Ewan Johnson, Gregor Brown, Gus Warr, Arron Reed and Matt Currie are the uncapped players on tour.

Meet the 10 uncapped players included in the squad

Loosehead prop McBeth, back-five forward Brown and second row Williamson, all from Glasgow Warriors, have trained with the Scotland squad in recent times along with winger Arron Reed from Sale Sharks who was in the Guinness Six Nations squad earlier this year. Reed is joined by scrum-half clubmate Gus Warr, who has represented Scotland at age-grade level.

Patrick Harrison has impressed for Edinburgh A in recent FOSROC Super Series matches and the 21-year-old hooker, Edinburgh Rugby’s youngest ever in the position, makes the step up to international level.

Another hooker, former Scotland Under-20s captain Robbie Smith, of Northampton Saints, has been named, joining fellow former Under-20s player and Oyonnax second row Ewan Johnson.

Leicester Tigers tighthead prop Will Hurd was included in the 2024 Guinness Six Nations squad but was ruled out through injury and has earned another call-up.

Edinburgh centre Matt Currie has previous experience of a Scotland summer tour, having started against Chile two years ago for Scotland A in a 45-5 victory.

The 10 uncapped players join a raft of experienced names who played in Scotland’s 2024 Guinness Six Nations campaign with Rory Darge, Luke Crosbie, Javan Sebastian, Elliot Millar-Mills, Ewan Ashman, Rory Sutherland, Ben Healy, Harry Paterson, George Horne, Kyle Rowe, Stafford McDowall, Duhan van der Merwe, Sione Tuipulotu, Matt Fagerson, Pierre Schoeman, Scott Cummings and Kyle Steyn all touring.

Jamie Ritchie and Huw Jones are included with both players close to reaching half-century milestones for their country. Flanker Ritchie is just one cap shy with centre Jones two away from the same landmark.

Adam Hastings and Josh Bayliss are fully fit and available for the matches, having been ruled out of previous squads through injury.

Hooker Dylan Richardson made his Scotland debut back in 2021 against Japan as a back-rower, but has since changed position and recently lifted the Challenge Cup with the Sharks, coming off the bench in the final in London.

Ahead of Scotland’s four international matches in July, the leading online travel brand Skyscanner has signed naming rights for this year’s summer tour to create the Skyscanner Americas Tour.

The Skyscanner Americas Tour begins in North America where Scotland will play the Canadians in Ottawa on Saturday 6 July, before journeying to Washington DC to take on USA six days later. South America is the third stop on Scotland’s travels as they return to Chile having played in Santiago in 2022. The tour will end in Uruguay where the two sides will play each other for the first time since the 1999 Rugby World Cup.

All games will be shown live in the UK and Ireland, with broadcast details confirmed in due course.

Summer Tour Fixture List

Saturday 6 July: Canada v Scotland, TD Place, Ottawa, kick-off: 10pm UK time, 5pm local time
Friday 12 July: USA v Scotland, Audi Field, Washington DC, kick-off: 11.30pm UK time, 6.30pm local time
Saturday 20 July: Chile v Scotland, Estadio Nacional, Santiago, kick-off: 8pm UK time. 3pm local time
Saturday 27 July: Uruguay v Scotland, Estadio Charrúa, Montevideo, kick-off: 8pm UK time, 4pm local time

Scotland Summer Tour Squad

Forwards

Ewan Ashman (Edinburgh Rugby) 17 caps
Josh Bayliss (Bath Rugby) 5 caps
Gregor Brown (Glasgow Warriors) uncapped
Alex Craig (Scarlets) 2 caps
Luke Crosbie (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) 38 caps
Rory Darge (Glasgow Warriors) 19 caps
Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) 44 caps
Patrick Harrison (Edinburgh Rugby) uncapped
Will Hurd (Leicester Tigers) uncapped
Ewan Johnson (Oyonnax Rugby) uncapped
Nathan McBeth (Glasgow Warriors) uncapped
Elliot Millar-Mills (Northampton Saints) 3 caps
Javan Sebastian (Edinburgh Rugby) 8 caps
Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh Rugby) 31 caps
Robbie Smith (Northampton Saints) uncapped
Rory Sutherland (Oyonnax Rugby) 30 caps
Dylan Richardson (The Sharks) 1 cap
Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby) 49 caps
Murphy Walker (Glasgow Warriors) 3 caps
Max Williamson (Glasgow Warriors) uncapped
Glen Young (Edinburgh Rugby) 3 caps

Backs

Matt Currie (Edinburgh Rugby) uncapped
Jamie Dobie (Glasgow Warriors) 2 caps
Adam Hastings (Gloucester Rugby) 26 caps
Ben Healy (Edinburgh Rugby) 5 caps
George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) 30 caps
Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) 48 caps
Stafford McDowall (Glasgow Warriors) 2 caps
Harry Paterson (Edinburgh Rugby) 1 cap
Arron Reed (Sale Sharks) uncapped
Kyle Rowe (Glasgow Warriors) 4 caps
Kyle Steyn (Glasgow Warriors) 19 caps
Ross Thompson (Glasgow Warriors) 3 caps
Sione Tuipulotu (Glasgow Warriors) 25 caps
Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh Rugby) 39 caps
Gus Warr (Sale Sharks) uncapped

Development players

During the last two weeks of the tour, three development players will join the squad as a learning opportunity and to bolster training. Tighthead prop Fin Richardson, who has signed for Glasgow Warriors next season, will be joined by his new teammate, scrum-half Ben Afshar. Edinburgh Rugby lock Rob Carmichael will also be added to the group for the final two weeks.

Fin Richardson (Exeter Chiefs) uncapped
Rob Carmichael (Edinburgh Rugby) uncapped
Ben Afshar (Glasgow Warriors) uncapped

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Jun 2024, 1:20 pm

Good to see Richardson back in the mix, we definitely need some depth at hooker and he could provide that.

I remember Johnson from the U20s as well. He was impressive at that level, good to see him pushing on now

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 12 Jun 2024, 1:43 pm

By position

Loosehead props:
Nathan McBeth (Glasgow Warriors), Pierre Schoeman (Edinburgh Rugby) and Rory Sutherland (Oyonnax Rugby)

Hookers:
Ewan Ashman (Edinburgh Rugby), Patrick Harrison (Edinburgh Rugby), Robbie Smith (Northampton Saints) and Dylan Richardson (The Sharks).

Tighthead props:
Will Hurd (Leicester Tigers), Elliot Millar-Mills (Northampton Saints), Javan Sebastian (Edinburgh Rugby) and Murphy Walker (Glasgow Warriors).

Second-rows:
Alex Craig (Scarlets), Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors), Ewan Johnson (Oyonnax Rugby), Max Williamson (Glasgow Warriors) and Glen Young (Edinburgh Rugby)

Back-rows:
Josh Bayliss (Bath Rugby), Gregor Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Luke Crosbie (Edinburgh Rugby), Rory Darge (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) and Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh Rugby)

Scrum-half:
Jamie Dobie (Glasgow Warriors), George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) and Gus Warr (Sale Sharks).

Stand-off:
Adam Hastings (Gloucester Rugby), Ben Healy (Edinburgh Rugby) and Ross Thompson (Glasgow Warriors).

Centres:
Matt Currie (Edinburgh Rugby), Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors), Stafford McDowall (Glasgow Warriors) and Sione Tuipulotu (Glasgow Warriors)

Back-three:
Harry Paterson (Edinburgh Rugby), Arron Reed (Sale Sharks), Kyle Rowe (Glasgow Warriors), Kyle Steyn (Glasgow Warriors) and Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh Rugby).

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 12 Jun 2024, 3:13 pm

Great looking squad! I’m really happy with that. Loads of experience in the backs with a lot of new faces in the pack, just as I’d hoped really. We desperately need to see a strong Scottish pack to win a serious piece of silverware. By giving all these young players a chance to show what they’re made of while bonding on a unique tour of the Americas they will hopefully reap rewards in the autumn. I’d like to see everyone get some game time in this tour.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next