The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown

+3
RiscaGame
Welshmushroom
neilthom7
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown Empty URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown

Post by neilthom7 Tue 14 May 2024, 6:13 pm

Penultimate league round of the season and things are tight in the race for top spot and the race for the play offs. Some big games this weekend too.

Friday 17th May 2024

Zebre Parma v Scarlets
Stadio Lanfranchi, Parma – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA
Live on: Sky Italia, BBC Wales, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Edinburgh Rugby v Munster
Hive Stadium, Edinburgh – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA
Live on: Premier Sports, TG4, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Saturday 18th May 2024

Vodacom Bulls v Benetton
Loftus Versfeld Stadium, Pretoria – KO 13.00 IRE & UK / 14.00 ITA & SA
Live on: SuperSport, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Ospreys v Dragons RFC
Swansea.com Stadium, Swansea – KO 15.00 IRE & UK / 16.00 ITA & SA
Live on: Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Emirates Lions v Glasgow Warriors
Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg – KO 15.05 IRE & UK / 16.05 ITA & SA
Live on: SuperSport, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Connacht v DHL Stormers
Dexcom Stadium, Galway – KO 17.05 IRE & UK / 18.05 ITA & SA
Live on: RTÉ, Premier Sports, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Hollywoodbets Sharks v Cardiff Rugby
Hollywoodbets Kings Park, Durban – KO 17.15 IRE & UK / 18.15 ITA & SA
Live on: SuperSport, S4C, Premier Sports, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

Ulster v Leinster
Kingspan Stadium, Ulster – KO 19.35 IRE & UK / 20.35 ITA & SA
Live on: Premier Sports, TG4, SuperSport, Flo Rugby & URC.tv

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown Empty Re: URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 16 May 2024, 10:10 am

Seemed to be a lot of doom and gloom on Scrum V regarding the Welsh Teams last weekend. I'm not buying into it as much as the commentators on the show did. There have been a lot of positives this season which have not been mentioned at all.

For one thing all the regions are transitioning the old players out of their squad. A lot of youngsters have been getting gametime this season. Granted not all of them will make it at this level but at least the identification has started.

What people don't recognise is that all of the top URC teams in the league right now have a lot of guys in their primes right now. At some stage they to will need to rebuild their teams. Welsh teams have already started so at some stage will be further down the road of development than some of the other teams in the league.

My only real gripe in Welsh rugby are the head coaches. Booth has already shown he understands what is required. Just looking at the people he recruits and list of leavers he clearly understands how to build, develop and which players to let go. I dont think Sheratt, Peel or Dai are anywhere near his league. I'm sure they are all great coaches but that is where they should have been kept. None of those 3 have the experience of building and being savy in the transfer market. At this point 3 of the regions seriously need to consider who they are putting in charge of these teams.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown Empty Re: URC Round 17 - It's the final countdown

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 8:14 pm

Good game so far. Edinburgh really physical tonight. Munster have a chance to pull back here with a scrum 5m out

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 8:16 pm

Frisch scores a second. 16-12 still to Edinburgh. They have been worth the lead. But they need to keep playing against Munster.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 8:40 pm

Munster with another one. 16-19 to Munster.....

This is a hell of a game....fans getting into it in Edinburgh as well. Edinburgh will need that 16th man tonight...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 8:45 pm

Penalty Edinburgh....Do they take the 3 to tie this up? They probably should....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 8:52 pm

Munster back in front again with another try.....should be 19-26 to Munster as they have a easy conversion.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 8:59 pm

Penalty Edinburgh. They need to go to the corner for a set piece lineout move.....its an area they have been strong at all season.

They need 7 to keep them in this game......Snyman has made a massive difference for Munster in this second half.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:01 pm

Iffy there - Munster looked to have interfered with that with Coombes lying all over that.

End ups pushing back Edinburgh to almost the half way.....they come again though..Edinburgh lineout in the 22

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:16 pm

Try Edinburgh - back in this - conversion come to tie this up...

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:17 pm

All square - anyone game but Edinburgh have been very strong the last 10 minutes - and Munster still have a few minutes on a yellow card....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:25 pm

Price off the bench has been poor since he has come on.....knock on gives the ball back to Munster after they took a penalty to take the lead again at 26-29 to Munster.

Edinburgh had a chance with a 5m lineout but they messed it up at a critical time....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:26 pm

Munster penalty at that scrum as well so if they are smart they should kick it in their 22 and go through the phases to run the time down. Dont think Edinburgh can go the length of the pitch to score....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:31 pm

Munster win and edge it - they are looking good at the moment and i dont think anyone wants them in the Qtrs.....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Fri 17 May 2024, 9:32 pm

Meanwhile Scarlets beat Zebre - probably not unexpected.....but does not have any impacts on the top 8 finishes.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 18 May 2024, 1:44 am

At least the Scarlets have a cup final next week, to beat Dragons and maybe finish above Cardiff Blues.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 18 May 2024, 8:24 am

Good results for me yesterday in my SuperBru.  If I do well the rest of this weekend, I will be close to locking up my URC SuperBru pool.  To be fair, I was pulling for Edinburgh, but I bet on Munster because they always seem to win these key end-of-season matches (I thought Edinburgh was going to nick it at the end).  Not sure if this was a reach, but I have Glasgow winning in SA, which is tough.  

I am up by 15 over my nearest pretender, a South African. An Englishman of sorts (he is from Wigan) is in third and an Irishman from Cork is in fourth.  A whole slew of Americans in the middle and an Aussie pulling up the rear. laughing

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 18 May 2024, 10:43 am

A lot of action going down on this thread Welshmushroom. Scarlets have potential but they won’t realise it through their refusal to stop hiring their mates as coaches and directors. They still don’t have a good defence, and they struggle to get over the try line.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:00 pm

I think Scarlets are in a worse position than the Dragons. They need a total overhaul from what I have seen. And I don't think they have that much youth at U21 level coming through either. I know their U18's look promising but they are 4-5 years away before they can really look at that batch.

I enjoyed todays match between Ospreys and Dragons. To be honest Hollis even though he was picked on the wing caused them problems when he popped up in midfield. If Dai is smart he will move him to 12 and get a quicker bigger centre outside him. Our back 3 today looked very good. If we can get a good combo in the centre I reckon we would see a lot more broken play tries than we do. But we lost that game up front which I have been saying is an issue for us for ages. Also Arhip isnt the answer for us. I hope Dai goes another route.

Lions somehow turned being behind to Glasgow and ended up putting up a big score. Not great news for Glasgow as that result might have cost them top spot at the end of the season. Glasgow will however still back 5 points against Zebre so most teams will know what they need to do to overtake them.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:03 pm

doctor_grey wrote:Good results for me yesterday in my SuperBru.  If I do well the rest of this weekend, I will be close to locking up my URC SuperBru pool.  To be fair, I was pulling for Edinburgh, but I bet on Munster because they always seem to win these key end-of-season matches (I thought Edinburgh was going to nick it at the end).  Not sure if this was a reach, but I have Glasgow winning in SA, which is tough.  

I am up by 15 over my nearest pretender, a South African. An Englishman of sorts (he is from Wigan) is in third and an Irishman from Cork is in fourth.  A whole slew of Americans in the middle and an Aussie pulling up the rear. laughing

Tough break on the Glasgow result for you. They looked good for it but then the Lions turned it on and they are a pretty good side at home when they do that. Still if you have a lead you should hopefully still get that top of the pool sorted by R18.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:12 pm

Just starting to watch Stormers vs Connacht now. This one is a big game for Connacht now.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:14 pm

Also see Sharks have totally rested all but 1 player from their starting 23. Not unexpected as they will clearly target a challenge cup win next week. To be honest surprised they are starting Notshe. Would have thought they would have taken him out as well.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:15 pm

Physical start from both teams. Looks like Stormers have brought and edge with them. Massive hits coming in all over the place.

Stormers settle things down and are just outside the 22 from Connachts line. Going through phases here. Good defence so far from Connacht though

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:16 pm

Stormers spill connacht recover and need to find a good touch. Which they do.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:18 pm

Lovely bit of play almost sees them go all the way on the right side. Missed chance though as the player didnt get the ball to the 2 supporting players. Big missed chance there. Stormers bundle them to touch.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:32 pm

Connacht have another fine attacking set only to get turned over and Stormers go 40 metres to the other end. Stormers now have a scrum outside the Connacht 22.

I have to admire Connacht's approach though. They really dont have the personal of most of the top side but they attack with very smart running lines and sure play the game with spirit.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:33 pm

Stormers seem to have the upper hand at scrum time. Connacht having a hard time there. 3 Penalties already. They will have to be careful they dont get a yellow.

Their defence is holding up though. Stormers take the lead with a penatly.

Connacht however counter straight away, great play gets them deep into the Stormers 22.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:35 pm

Silly quick penalty taken by Connacht - Stormers turn them over. Another good chance gone. Should have gone to the corner. Stormers clear to take them up to the 40. Bad lineout Connacht gives the ball back to Stormers who now push up to halfway but then kick it back to Connacht.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:36 pm

Stormers score with a lethal counter but i have to say that is a forward pass......TMO has to call this.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:38 pm

They do call it but Connacht have been shown any loose play will get punished by the Stormers. They need to tighten up a little and not let this get to loose.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:40 pm

Real chance for Connacht now as they push a penalty to the 5m. They deserve a score with how they have played so far.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:43 pm

And they score. Patient in attack there. Several phases and eventually Stormers crack. If they hadn't looked like Stormers went offside again. Ref didnt pick it up though but if he had and they didnt score someone should have gone to the bin given the amount of penalties Stormers have given away in those phases alone.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:44 pm

Connacht convert and take the lead 7-3

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:48 pm

Stormers back in Connachts 22. Scrum. Hard position to defend

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:48 pm

My bad was a connacht scrum. They get a free kick and can clear here which they do.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 5:53 pm

Connacht keep it to 7-3 going into half time,

Cardiff have a 21-7 lead vs Sharks. Not unexpected given the team sharks put out

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:23 pm

Stormers score a good try back - Connacht not happy as they think forwarded passes were involved. Passes looked fine and even if the last pass went slightly forward the hands clearly went back. Ref looks at it. They give a try. Stormers take the lead.

Connacht at the other end in their 22 give Stormers a easy out.

Connacht have managed to get back into a good position again now though. They need a score of any kind here as this game is tight.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:26 pm

And Connacht score - proper see saw game this is turning into. 12 - 10 Connacht with a conversion to come.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:27 pm

Fluffs the conversion.

Jansen has had a good game for Connacht - really offered some good carrying for them.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:30 pm

Penalty for Stormers here as another scrum is demolished by them. They go to the corner.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:32 pm

Connacht penalty - holding on. Gives them a chance to clear their lines. They needed that.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:34 pm

Meanwhile cardiff get another to lead - 29-7

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:35 pm

Stormers get another penalty - this time they go for goal.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:37 pm

They convert and lead 13-12

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:38 pm

If the score stays like this Connachts season is over....

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:41 pm

Another Stormers penalty and Libbok converts to take it to 16-12. Connacht will need a try now.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:42 pm

They turn it over in a good position. Connacht are just outside the Stormers 22 with a scrum.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:47 pm

They didnt make it count and let Stormers out.

Few minutes later they do manage to get back up there with a lineout for Connacht. Theres only 3 1/2 minutes left though so now they really do need a try as I dont think there is time for 2 penalties.

Another knock on though so Stormers should get out again.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:49 pm

Gellant with a great turnover. Penalty Stormers. less than 2 mins left - should be the game now.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Sat 18 May 2024, 6:55 pm

Stormers win - basically they have secured Champions Cup rugby now. Wont make the top 4 though.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next