The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Super XV playoffs preview

+5
doctor_grey
nganboy
Notch
Taylorman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
9 posters

Go down

Super XV Playoffs - pick your winners for this weekend

Super XV playoffs preview Vote_lcap44%Super XV playoffs preview Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 12 ]
Super XV playoffs preview Vote_lcap15%Super XV playoffs preview Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
Super XV playoffs preview Vote_lcap26%Super XV playoffs preview Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 7 ]
Super XV playoffs preview Vote_lcap15%Super XV playoffs preview Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 27

Poll closed

Super XV playoffs preview Empty Super XV playoffs preview

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:26 pm

Super Rugby reaches the playoff stages this weekend, with the Crusaders, Sharks, Blues and Waratahs playing off for semi-final berths.

Matches
Friday 24 June
Blues v Waratahs Eden Park Auckland 0835 BST
Saturday 25 June
Crusaders v Sharks Trafalgar Park, Nelson 0835 BST

Reviews
Blues v Waratahs
The out of form Blues host the patched-up Waratahs Friday morning UK time. The Waratahs have lost Luke Burgess, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Al Baxter and Daniel Halangahu from last week's side on top of their existing injury list. Kurtley Beale moves into the 10 shirt to face the erratic Stephen Brett. Home advantage and the 'Tahs injury list see the Blues go in heavy favourites. The winner of this game earns a semi-final in Brisbane if the Crusaders win Saturday, or a trip to Cape Town if the Sharks win.

Blues:
Jared Payne, Joe Rokocoko, Benson Stanley, Luke McAlister, Lachie Munro, Stephen Brett, Alby Mathewson, Peter Saili, Luke Braid, Jerome Kaino, Ali Williams, Anthony Boric, John Afoa, Keven Mealamu (capt), Charlie Faumuina. Reserves: Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau, Chris Lowrey, Daniel Braidt, Chris Smylie, Winston Stanley, Sherwin Stowers.

Waratahs
Lachie Turner, Atieli Pakalani, Ryan Cross, Tom Carter, Soseni Anesi, Kurtley Beale, Josh Holmes; Dave Dennis, Phil Waugh (capt), Dean Mumm, Sitaleki Timani, Kane Douglas, Paddy Ryan, John Ulugia, Benn Robinson. Reserves: Elvis Taione, Jeremy Tilse, Pat O'Connor, Chris Alcock, Hugh Perrett, Brendan McKibbin, Bernard Foley.

Crusaders v Sharks
After upsetting the Bulls in Pretoria last week the Sharks' reward is a long volcanic ash-cloud interrupted flight to New Zealand to face the Crusaders in their temporary home in Nelson. The Crusaders are still without skipper Richie McCaw, but welcome back Sean Maitland, Sonny Bill Williams and Kahn Fotuali'i from injury. The Sharks have dropped Ryan Kankowski to the bench and replace hime with fellow 'Bok training squad member Willem Alberts, while Boks captain John Smit still can't make the starting lineup.

The Crusaders won the match at Twickenham between these 2 sides and it's hard to see the Red and Black's epic season ending here. A Crusaders win will see them off to Cape Town to face the Stormers next week, while the Sharks will face the Reds in Brisbane if they manage an upset.

Crusaders
Tom Marshall, Sean Maitland, Robbie Fruean, Sonny Bill Williams, Zac Guildford, Dan Carter, Andy Ellis, Kieran Read (capt) Matt Todd, George Whitelock, Sam Whitelock, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Corey Flynn, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Quentin MacDonald, Ben Franks, Luke Romano, Jonathan Poff, Kahn Fotuali'i, Matt Berquist, Ryan Crotty/Brent Ward.

Sharks
Patrick Lambie, JP Pietersen, Stefan Terblanche (capt), Meyer Bosman, Lwazi Mvovo, Frederic Michalak, Charl McLeod, Willem Alberts, Jean Deysel, Keegan Daniel, Alistair Hargreaves, Gerhard Mostert, Jannie du Plessis, Bismarck du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira. Reserves: John Smit, Eugene van Staden, Ross Skeate, Ryan Kankowski, Jacques Botes, Adrian Jacobs, Louis Ludik
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Super XV playoffs preview Empty Re: Super XV playoffs preview

Post by Taylorman Thu 23 Jun 2011, 11:54 pm

Yep,
Fully expect the 2 NZ teams to come through at the Business end. 80% of this years AB squad is from the two teams so the win or out thinking will kick in big time now. No disrespect to the other two but I think they just have very high hills to climb to win either.

Saders I think comfortable 15 plus, Blues with a hick up or 2.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:16 am

People heavily backing the Blues and Crusaders- I'm no different!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 24 Jun 2011, 1:46 am

Home advantage should be enough for both teams
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:06 am

Yeah, I'd agree the two NZ teams should win. But............

Blues are fortunate to be playing Waratahs. I think the Blues can be very hit or miss. Their out half, Steven Brett, is talented but very inconsistent. If I were the Waratahs, I would pressure him to force errors. But they need to get to him early. This is probably the best chance NSW have to win. Frankly, I don't rate the Waratahs too highly and I think the Blues would most likely not beat any of the other playoff teams.

Crusaders are simply rock solid. But Sharks have a number of Springboks who have proven themselves in big matches (and beaten the ABs, as well). To me the big wild card is if Sharks give Freddie Michelak a run. He played very well last week. If he is really healthy and in true match form (still an 'if'), he can be the difference. He always reminded me of a French Carlos Spencer. He also has been inconsistent, which we all know. And pressuring him doesn't make a difference. His inconsistency comes from within. It is extremely hard for a team to travel half-way around the world to play a Rugby match. And Crusaders would still be favoured if played on a neutral site. But there is enough talent on Sharks to keeps it close, and if the ball bounces in their direction, sneak a win. .

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 Jun 2011, 2:49 am

"An employee of the Australian Diabetes Council, a personal trainer and a security guard are among the faces called up by Waratahs coach Chris Hickey ahead of their clash against the Blues." from the AB's website...

Beale is at first 5 so if Blues can't win this at home they dont deserve it.

Its clear this tourney and its injury toll is the wrong format.

Injuries have defined the season. Reds had to call in Grand pop Ralph (no disrespect Caleb- not your fault your still young and were found sunning it on the Gold Coast).

Honestly, the work I have heard going into the 2 NZ packs last 2 weeks suggest there might be some obvious power in these 2 matches- one for GH to keep in mind for the knockouts later on.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:40 am

History says home teams win play offs because of travel factor,so by elimination.Crusaders and Blues,followed by Stormers,Reds.followed by Reds to win.
But think the unthinkable Waratahs,Sharks win,then its Reds v Waratahs,Stormers v Sharks.
the Waratahs and Sharks win,who has home advantage in the Final ?

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 24 Jun 2011, 6:45 am

I really can't see anything other than a Crusaders and Blues win this weekend.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:43 am

Tahs will have their work cut out and Crusaders should win in Nelson.

Blues by 12
Crusaders by 14

Match just started...disappointed to see those empty seats.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 8:59 am

Try in the corner to Carter, Beale misses the kick. 5-0 Waratahs after 19 minutes.

emack, in the event of a Tahs v Sharks final the Tahs host as they finished 5th ahead of the Sharks.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:07 am

Lachie Munro over untouched off a McAllister offload for the Blues, McAllister converts from 10 in from touch as Munro's talking to the physio (Munro's been the Blues' 1st choice kicker the last couple of weeks).
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:14 am

Approaching half-time and Munro's couple of penalties vs Beale's one sees the Blues up 13-8.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:29 am

So frustrating to watch that 1st half Red, being a Tahs resident and all. Hoping they can convert some of those positive statistics by holding the ball better and taking more advantage of the missed tackles. Don't like our chances if the Blues get out to a bigger lead early in 2nd half.

Silly kicks... Doh

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

More frustrating is the crowd for me Linebreaker. Over a million people in Auckland and the Jafas can't be bothered going to a playoff. At least the 'Tahs fans have the ash-cloud as an excuse for not travelling ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:36 am

Yeah, I mentioned that on a thread somewhere. I would have thought they might have used this as a 'dress rehersal' for the RWC. 45,000 would have been nice to see...but the commentators are going on about the inclement weather. No excuses really, its an elimination final so more fans should have turned up as you say.

How many crooked throws from the Tahs? At least 3. Add all the dropped ball, sloppy play and scrum infringements...we're gawn before we start.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:38 am

I think the dew isn't helping the handling. But the 'Tahs lineout is a worry.

Official attendance for the playoff, 16,100. Nelson tomorrow with 1/10th of the population will have a bigger crowd (full house, 18,000). Jafas! steam
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:40 am

Actually, it's mentioned up above, lol.

That virtual pub is too noisy...I feel disoriented with all those red-shirted supporters hogging the darts board.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:42 am

Don't worry, I asked a question 5 minutes ago up there ands cleared the place out Whistle

Awful lot of blue-shirted Leinstermen there too Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:43 am

Pretty poor - 16,100.

If this match was in Syd, then I reckon maybe 35-40k would have shown up at the ANZ...maybe more... because it was a nice day weatherwise.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:46 am

Hard to get a beer there too...3-4 people deep at the bar, Doris & her girls are struggling to keep up with the orders.

If the trend in this match continues I can look forward to the other matches this weekend, next few weeks. I would really like the Reds to go all the way however I think the Crusaders will have something to say about that...again.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

16-8 now Blues. Both 'Tahs locks off injured too.

There's been 16 playoff matches between NZ and SA teams. Only 1 away win (Highlanders in the '99 semis, before the Crusaders crashed the "Party at Tony Brown's"), Stormers will be a tough semi.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:59 am

23-8 after a converted Ali Williams try. Blues kicking game is too good in the wet.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:08 am

Cue the Max Merritt song....slippin' away.
Hang on, Turner just scores. Nah, too late I reckon. Beale misses. 23-13

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 24 Jun 2011, 10:21 am

26-13 FT
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by welshjohn369 Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:03 pm

Ali Williams looked awesome tonight, he was everywhere and did everything right.
welshjohn369
welshjohn369

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 24 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

Good win but I think that will be the last if they struggle to promote the ball like that. Dont look good enough for an away win in either SA or Oz. Henry will be stoked Ali's back at what he does best, the highlight of the night.

Not sure what type of game the Nlues are trying to play it looked so disjointed. But thats knockout rugby for you. A wins a win and thats all thats needed in these matches.

For me just too many signs that theyre not quite there yet to win this. The others might need to drop off a bit for this team to take it.

Tonights game I'm hoping will be different. Saders at knockout time at home is a tough one to crack for any team and just can't see anything but an easy win given the travel and tough match Sharks had last week.

Blues match was patchy, tonights might be more the showpiece I feel.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down