The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garden Golf Bays

+6
milkyboy
SmithersJones
JPX
Rossa
Doon the Water
Diggers
10 posters

Go down

Garden Golf Bays Empty Garden Golf Bays

Post by Diggers Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

Thinking about putting a net up in my garden as I have a bit of space for one. Doesnt seem to be to many options online, anyone know any decent brands, dont want to pay a fortune but options seem to be a 50 quid net which Id imagine to be rubbish or £500 plus for a proper bay. It has to be something reasonably encompassing as the area Im using will be right next to my greenhouse and I have an inate ability to hit the ball in any direction, sadly without knowing beforehand where that might be.
I know nets aren't particularly great for judging how you are hitting it but its better than nothing and with a 2 year old and another one on the way any escape to pound a few balls will be a pleasant distraction.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Garden Golf Bays Empty Re: Garden Golf Bays

Post by Doon the Water Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:09 am

Diggers
Spend your money on a good quality net then try to get a local builder/friend to build and concrete in the frame, you save a lot of money that way. You also get something that will last.
Put foam pipe insulation on the upright poles.
The wind is a big factor so you need strong supports.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:11 am

http://www.golfpracticenets.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=2

http://www.edsports.co.uk/category/369/Golf

Just had a quick browse... the above seem ok... need to give them a call for the prices though...
Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:22 am

IMO complete waste of money and unsafe - the net will eventually get a hole in and you will find out by smashing a ball through it into your greenhouse or maybe worse........with children around I would steer clear.

Just my opinion of course.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:27 am

I've got one wasting away in my garage. I seem to remember paying about £200 for it maybe 10 years ago, and when we moved house it came with us but I've not really got room to put it in the garden. It was certainly solid enough all round, including a roof, and I didn't have it concreted in. Yours for £50 if you want to come and get it!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:31 am

Cheers Rossa, always get a bit worried when websites dont give prices but the products look good.
JPX, directly behind the net would be a fence, the greenhouse would only really be in rank, almost reverse shank range, which to be fair I have achieved before. I would only use it with the kids in the house which is a good 100 feet away so I dont really see any issues on that front to be honest.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 30 Jun 2011, 10:32 am

Whereabouts are you Smithers ? Any idea of the dimensions of it ?

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

another one on the way diggers?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:12 am

What are you doing on here ? Will debrief you later.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:13 am

Diggers wrote:Whereabouts are you Smithers ? Any idea of the dimensions of it ?

Deepest darkest Essex. Long time since I used it but I'd stab a guess at 2.5m high, 3m depth and narrows slightly but about 2m wide.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

Diggers wrote:What are you doing on here ? Will debrief you later.

obviously its the only way to find out what's going on in people's lives. Whistle

Ok, actually i was making a rare appearance on the boxing board to see what time the fight was starting on Sat... and saw your post on the homepage

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Thu 30 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

Diggers wrote:Cheers Rossa, always get a bit worried when websites dont give prices but the products look good.
JPX, directly behind the net would be a fence, the greenhouse would only really be in rank, almost reverse shank range, which to be fair I have achieved before. I would only use it with the kids in the house which is a good 100 feet away so I dont really see any issues on that front to be honest.
Yep, I had the same thoughts, until I put one clean through the net and the fence behind, luckily just missed the neighbours kid!

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm

Anyone else thought of getting an all weather putting green in the back garden? I remember trying one out at the London golf show a couple of years ago and seriously thought about it but it would have been in the region of 5 grand for the size I'd want. Must revisit and see if prices now reflect the current climate.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

post a link jas - just out of interest!
cheers,

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:19 pm

JAS, i never see the point

I hate it when you turn up to a course, hit the putting green to get an idea of the speed and it's astroturf. Really?! What use is that?!! Hate it!
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 30 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

JAS wrote:Anyone else thought of getting an all weather putting green in the back garden? I remember trying one out at the London golf show a couple of years ago and seriously thought about it but it would have been in the region of 5 grand for the size I'd want. Must revisit and see if prices now reflect the current climate.

i know a landscaper in st andrews who will build and maintain the real thing for you. but i'd also need an electric fence to keep the kids off it!

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:42 pm

BB ..... Www.thegreenapproach.com

Mpb, of course there's a point. A green in your back garden will give you much more opportunity to practice and groove a consistent stroke and work on the fundamentals. I do agree though that when you turn up for a round you want an accurate gauge of how the greens are rolling that day. I play a lot of different courses and yes it's key to get the pace of the greens. If however you are trying to work out pace from an inconsistent and/or technically poor stroke then you are asking for mental torture.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:44 pm

Graeme....shame I don't live in the St Andrews area Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:54 pm

JAS of course, but surely you can do that on a bit of grass no?
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:07 pm

JAS wrote:Graeme....shame I don't live in the St Andrews area Wink

he's a bit fanatical about sports turf maintenance but you'd want that in your putting green contractor!

if/ when our business takes off, he knows he's got a job. mind you, back on topic. if it really takes off i'm building an indoor practice facility with the projection screen and a selection of top courses to play. gotta keep the dream alive Wink

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:27 pm

i understand the concept of using the practice green to get the pace of the greens... shame how often they bear little resemblance to the real ones though. Luckily my putting is so bad, its largely irrelevant.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down