The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Currently Reading?

+119
Galted
ChequeredJersey
lfc91
AdamT
Rowanbi
kenn20152014
Alistair
Geordie
Derbymanc
Breadvan
kingraf
ONETWOFOREVER
seanmichaels
1GrumpyGolfer
The Boss
jbeadlesbigrighthand
JDizzle
88Chris05
rIck_dAgless
break_in_the_fifth
superflyweight
Mike Selig
Duty281
TRUSSMAN66
bsando
Mind the windows Tino.
english warrior
Rowley
liverbnz
Steffan
alfie
kittenv2
SharkSoul
Crimey
Ent
NickisBHAFC
Good Golly I'm Olly
Cyril
Melkor
JuliusHMarx
mckay1402
barragan
compelling and rich
tammywilson52
drsambo1928
bluestonevedder
Smirnoffpriest
Lee
Teej
GSC
Thomond
Cari
yappysnap
as1079
Casartelli
Il Gialloblu
sugarNspikes
teassoc
littleswannygirl
BigPhil
ShahenshahG
hodge
Roberto Mankini
Hero
Colan (niner)
Looseheaded
rawa86
GG
Rava
hampo17
6oldenbhoy
The Galveston Giant
dummy_half
Sir. badgerhands
Cheesehead United
Enforcer
Diggers
Celtic Warrior
greybeard
No1yankee
Sugar Floyd Louis
Fists of Fury
Mad for Chelsea
Goldbug
Kenny
Beer
Gaelic-Warrior
CFCNick
CelticLuke
Scottrf
ADMIN
racingnut
Mat
ncfc_Tooze
BALTIMORA
ALPanorak
md_fan
John From London Town
Luke
nadalistic
Pr4wn
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
theundisputedY2D2
Marky
Adam D
Sara
AquaArab
calamity jane
randy-poffo
President Trump
AberdeenSteve
Nay
Kramxel
Solerina
asdral225
Legend
davidl1061
LondonJonnyO
David Tails
123 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 8 Empty What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by David Tails Thu 17 Feb 2011, 4:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

As the title suggests; this is just a post to find out what people are currently reading (I don't want any sarcastic comments stating "This thread" thumbsup)

I'm currently reading What The Night Knows by Dean Koontz. I'm only about 19 chapters in, but it's really good so far.

I finished Shattered Bones by Stuart MacBride at the weekend. That was okay, but the editing was poor so it detracted from my enjoyment a little.

Actually that is another question for this thread. Is it just me, or does sloppy editing bother you? I'm talking in terms of spelling mistakes, double words etc. I find it really off putting and I can't really explain why. I guess it could be because it interupts the flow of the story.

It really grinds my gears Shocked

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 8 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:34 am

Just finished American Pastoral by Philip Roth excellent read will definitely get some more of his books. Have just started Lost At Sea by Jon Ronson. Love Ronson, is a geniunely funny writer about subcultures and general human weirdness.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

What Are You Currently Reading? - Page 8 Empty Re: What Are You Currently Reading?

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 11 Apr 2013, 11:26 am

Rowley wrote:Just finished American Pastoral by Philip Roth excellent read will definitely get some more of his books. Have just started Lost At Sea by Jon Ronson. Love Ronson, is a geniunely funny writer about subcultures and general human weirdness.

Jeff, if you liked American Pastoral (which is easily in my top 5 books of all time) then try 'The plot against America next'. I won't bother telling you what it's about as I'm sure you're capable of finding a review yourself but it is a fantastic book and Roth almost at his best. Moving, interesting and thought-provoking in equal measures.

Trust me on this one, pal.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 11 Apr 2013, 11:35 am

Cheers Tina, got Indignation out of the library the other day but plan to work my way through Roth's books, will probably chuck a load on the Kindle for the holiday as I did enjoy American Pastoral enormously.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:34 pm

Tried reading "Quicksilver" by Neal Stephenson...nearly died of boredom...and have severely sprained wrists from holding the frickin' thing.

Currently re-reading "Room on the Broom" for approximately the 67364th time!

Also just re-read "Fup" by Jim Dodge - a mini classic.

Also read the Jesse Stone series of books by Robert B parker - Tom Selleck made them into TV movies and to be honest they weren't that bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 11 Apr 2013, 8:01 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Also just re-read "Fup" by Jim Dodge - a mini classic.
Have you read Stone Junction and Not Fade Away by Dodge? Both highly recommended.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Apr 2013, 12:45 pm

Thought "Stone Junction" was great but the ending left me a little cold and simply couldn't get into "Not Fade Away" Not a lover of these coming of age novels, I'm nearly 42 and teenagers irritate the heck out of me at the best of times. The ones in these novels all tend to be interesting and highly articulate when my experience is that they're generally duller than an well used spoon.

One of my favourite authors, Joe Lansdale seems to be doing a fair few these days. Wish he'd stick to the Hap and Leonard stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 30 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

War and peace by Tolstoy............

Started it in 1989 and now I'm 2/3 of the way there.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 May 2013, 1:10 pm

Reminds me of that episode of "Bottom"

Richie "Where's my bedtime book? War and Peace, we've been at it a few years now haven't we old chum? Right where was I? Ah yes, chapter one, sentence three (three seconds later) Oh, where's the dictionary? At this rate I'll be lucky to find out what they did, let alone who did it"

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 02 May 2013, 4:18 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-War-Wars-Struggle-1789-1815/dp/078672028X

Lovely account of the Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars in one volume.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat 04 May 2013, 10:31 pm

I'm getting through "All Hell Let Loose" by Max Hastings. Interested to see a couple on here have read it/started it. Heavy going, but well written and quite obviously brilliantly researched. Tend to agree with the view of Hastings as a brilliant historian but terrible journalist (if you could even call him one at all). I think he lets himself down a bit by downplaying the French resistance at times (having read quite a bit of Hasting he seems to have a rather irrational dislike of the French).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 09 May 2013, 8:52 pm

Almost a miracle by John Ferling..........

Reading how a small colony of brave, handsome, spirited, great American men battered the woefully inadequate. useless, non-handsome, unspirited, not-great British Army during the War of independence.....

Almost makes me want to divorce my British Wife, get on a plane and marry a wholehearted worthy American girl and make merry hay....

Almost....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 09 May 2013, 9:03 pm

sohotnot wrote:Reading 'Junk Mail' by Will Self, a selection of essays he wrote for various publications back in the early 90's, some really interesting stuff. Wish I'd read it sooner. !st thing I've read of his, gonna try some of his fiction next, any recommendations?

I didn't like Great Apes and didn't even make it halfway It's a shame because I liked the idea but I just didn't connect with his writing.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 10 May 2013, 8:15 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

Almost makes me want to divorce my British Wife, get on a plane and marry a wholehearted worthy American girl and make merry hay....

Please carry on reading then Truss

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 18 May 2013, 1:36 pm

Just finished a journey to the centre of the earth and around the world in 80 days (I read that yesterday) , the latter is great but the former -what a brilliant brilliant book, i'd forgotten how good it was since I read it last.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 18 May 2013, 11:00 pm

Almost finished "Pale Horse Coming" by Stephen Hunter. It's begging to be made into a movie (although I'm the only one who can hear it)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 20 May 2013, 1:11 pm

Alan Sugar - The way I see it.....

Basically just a book to slag off all the people who have irked him..like Stephen Fry........

Puke..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Based on the TV series. Its an oldie but goldie. Helping me a lot at the moment as im studying the Sutton Hoo burials

Spoiler:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 20 May 2013, 3:22 pm

Steffan, any chance you could stop being a geek and simply write in words what it is you need to say rather than adding spoilers? Some of us can't access them and those who can invariably end up wishing they hadn't bothered.

There's a good boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 20 May 2013, 3:23 pm

The Dirt - Motley Crue

They really were/are vile individuals. Pretty funny in places though and I think a pretty honest account of rock 'n' roll excess.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 20 May 2013, 3:34 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Steffan, any chance you could stop being a geek and simply write in words what it is you need to say rather than adding spoilers?
No thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu 23 May 2013, 4:20 pm

Read most of Dumas's works but saved the count of monte cristo for last. In parts, absolutely brilliant and other parts padding but worth the read.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Fri 24 May 2013, 4:56 pm

I'm about 1/4 of the way through the count of monte cristo at the moment. Reading it on the kindle on my computer, I'd be lost without being able to double click on words and get the meaning instantly. It's not so much the old English but the general writing style typical of classics that makes it pretty heavy but anyhow I'm still really enjoying it.

What other of Dumas' works do you recommend?

Last edited by break_in_the_fifth on Sat 25 May 2013, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 24 May 2013, 5:10 pm

www.classicly.com - excellent set there you can download for free and convert. Lots of other classics too all free to download as pdf or even read off the website on your phone.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 24 May 2013, 5:20 pm

actually you can download it for the kindle as well.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Sat 25 May 2013, 2:14 pm

Thanks.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 25 May 2013, 2:43 pm

Fevre Dream by GRRM. Was better than I expected, the writing is probably better than most of a Song of Ice and Fire, frankly! And I really liked the King-esque retelling on classic horror in a very colourful American setting
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:35 pm

Rowley wrote:Just finished American Pastoral by Philip Roth excellent read will definitely get some more of his books. Have just started Lost At Sea by Jon Ronson. Love Ronson, is a geniunely funny writer about subcultures and general human weirdness.

Read American Pastoral on your recommendation (having previously read Portnoy's Complaint by the same author) & enjoyed it immensely.  Roth isn't the most forgiving author, I occasionally had to reread sentences having forgotten the beginning by the time I reached the end, but well worth the effort.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

Galted wrote:

Read American Pastoral on your recommendation (having previously read Portnoy's Complaint by the same author) & enjoyed it immensely.  Roth isn't the most forgiving author, I occasionally had to reread sentences having forgotten the beginning by the time I reached the end, but well worth the effort.

Galted, I said the same to Jeff, but try 'The Plot against America' next. If you enjoyed AP I think you would like it. I know what you mean about the writing, but once you have gotten your head round the prose the content is brilliant.

Fantastic author and American Pastoral is superb.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

Tina as I believe you have read the Religion by Tim willocks, the follow up is just out. Have got it but not read it yet so cannot review it.

Am reading on the waterfront by Budd Schulberg by the way. Only just started it but love the film so have high hopes.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 01 Jul 2013, 12:54 pm

Rowley wrote:Tina as I believe you have read the Religion by Tim willocks, the follow up is just out. Have got it but not read it yet so cannot review it.

Am reading on the waterfront by Budd Schulberg by the way. Only just started it but love the film so have high hopes.

I am still getting to the end of The Religion, Jeff. I wanted to read his prison one next as I know you, Dave and others recommend it highly.

I am really enjoying The Religion but the language is a bit flowery at times. I sometimes think he scours the dictionary to find as many big words as possible. Brilliant story but there are a lot of words I have never even heard of.

I am a bit dim though so it could just be that.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:04 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:

Galted, I said the same to Jeff, but try 'The Plot against America' next.  If you enjoyed AP I think you would like it.  I know what you mean about the writing, but once you have gotten your head round the prose the content is brilliant.

Cheers Tino, have just ordered it off Amazon.  It better be good or you owe me one pound and fifty-seven pence.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:06 pm

Galted, I personally preferred The Plot Against America, am not giving you the one pound fifty seven though if you disagree.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:07 pm

Galted wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Galted wrote:

Galted, I said the same to Jeff, but try 'The Plot against America' next.  If you enjoyed AP I think you would like it.  I know what you mean about the writing, but once you have gotten your head round the prose the content is brilliant.

Cheers Tino, have just ordered it off Amazon.  It better be good or you owe me one pound and fifty-seven pence.

No worries. So long as I can pay it off over 30 months I can cover it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Mon 01 Jul 2013, 1:16 pm

You don't need to Rowley, you've already proved yourself with your American Pastoral recommendation.

Not really acceptable Tino, I would expect immediate payment (my mate Mad Doug offers loans at very reasonable rates for panic-stricken people). Lets not be hasty though, might just like it.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:05 pm

The Joy of sex by Alex comfort............

I get to read about all the positions other couples get to share while we read and drink our cocoa..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 01 Jul 2013, 8:58 pm

I am about two thirds of the way through 'the dice man' which has a cult following allegedly. I've laughed at bits but found it very repetitive in parts too.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:24 pm

Adam D wrote:I am about two thirds of the way through 'the dice man' which has a cult following allegedly. I've laughed at bits but found it very repetitive in parts too.
Thats a book iv been meaning to get around to. I know so many people who have read it. On a Welsh theme Adam have you ever read 'The Uninvited'? Its about UFOs in Pembrokeshire during the 1970s. I havnt read it yet but am going to purchase a copy this week

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:37 pm

I've read the Dice Man. Is one of those books that really splits opinion. Know of some people who treat it with almost religious reverence and others who hated it. Personally I could take it or leave it, enjoyed it well enough but didn't blow me away. Now if you want a proper counter culture classic the book of One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest is the far superior read.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Jul 2013, 9:54 pm

Currently reading ..."THE FAN -the life of d4" .........One Man's determination to be heard.....It's got everything...From a doomed romance with a person across the sea........to a simmering hatred for a fellow human being and a desire to get even.....ending in triumph over adversity re-establishing himself after being kicked out of internet home after home...

A real tearjerker........Foreword by Coxy !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Jul 2013, 5:48 pm

Finished Tim Willocks' "The Twelve Children of Paris". Sunno if Rowley's read it yet but it's cracking. Just hope we don't have to wait seven years for the final installment.

Also read "The Third Bullet" by Stephen Hunter. His take on the Kennedy assassination (50th Anniversary this year) and a very well researched read and hypothesis on how it could have happened (Obviously Oswald did it etc etc etc etc so don't go getting your knickers in a twist)

Also reading Charlie Brooker's compendiums of his newpaper columns back when he was a tv critic. Vile, caustic, hate-filled, misanthropic....I love it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 29 Jul 2013, 8:38 pm

Just started Willocks Dave, only about 600 pages to go. Up to his usual standard thus far.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 29 Jul 2013, 8:46 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Finished Tim Willocks' "The Twelve Children of Paris". Sunno if Rowley's read it yet but it's cracking. Just hope we don't have to wait seven years for the final installment.

Also read "The Third Bullet" by Stephen Hunter. His take on the Kennedy assassination (50th Anniversary this year) and a very well researched read and hypothesis on how it could have happened (Obviously Oswald did it etc etc etc etc so don't go getting your knickers in a twist)

Also reading Charlie Brooker's compendiums of his newpaper columns back when he was a tv critic. Vile, caustic, hate-filled, misanthropic....I love it!

I've read quite a few if those compendiums (screenburn springs to mind) and although great they do become samey after a while.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2013, 11:19 am

Rowley wrote:Just started Willocks Dave, only about 600 pages to go. Up to his usual standard thus far.
I'm thinking Hugh Jackman for the film (obvious choice would have been Russell Crowe circa "Gladiator" or failing that Daniel Radcliffe)

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 30 Jul 2013, 4:49 pm

Have been rereading the dick francis collection. Still my favourite collection. Always learn about some new industry/job in every book.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:01 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Have been rereading the dick francis collection. Still my favourite collection. Always learn about some new industry/job in every book.
Ron Jeremy's biography should be a real eye opener then!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:26 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
ShahenshahG wrote:Have been rereading the dick francis collection. Still my favourite collection. Always learn about some new industry/job in every book.

Who's that?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:32 pm

The Long War by Pratchett and Baxter
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:45 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:

Who's that?
Google him..although I believe you have to register your interest before being able to do any further research

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 30 Jul 2013, 5:50 pm

Ah - porn director?

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 31 Jul 2013, 11:01 pm

A positively delightful biography of Edward III written by Ian Mortimer that I had always meant to get around to reading.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next