The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight??

+3
J.Benson II
BALTIMORA
SportsmanGC
7 posters

Go down

Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight?? Empty Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight??

Post by SportsmanGC Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Ok, so I know styles make fights and marquez always had a style that Manny struggled with. However, Marquez looked fit, quick and big at the weight last weekend. I thought he looked very comfortable and conditioned well. He took this fight very seriously so trained correctly to carry the weight (arguably a weight just out of his natural zone), and I think he put this all together very well. In comparison for the mayweather fight, he looked slow, maybe a bit fleshy and i believe just trained to make weight and take a payday. I'm not meaning to discredit a clear ATG, but moreso that he knew the cards were stacked against him and it was gonna be hard to win, but it was a fight he just couldn't turn down.

So, at 144lb (for arguments sake) how does the fight pan out with mayweather with marquez in the shape he was in at the weekend? I dont see much changing as I think maywethers style negates much of marquez's skills, but I think he takes a few of the earlier rounds and closes the cards up a touch.

SportsmanGC

Back to top Go down

Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight?? Empty Re: Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight??

Post by BALTIMORA Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Same as last time, without the KD maybe.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight?? Empty Re: Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight??

Post by J.Benson II Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:44 pm

Does this marquez give Mayweather a closer fight??

No.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:48 pm

No.

Marquez can tear it up when need be, but the best aspects of his game are controlling the range and landing accurate counters (he does it in combos whereas floyd tends to do it in single shots, doubles at the most).

When you've got two guys whose strengths are similar, but one is taller, heavier, faster, stronger, younger and has a longer reach than the other, then there's only likely to be one outcome. Bad style match up for JMM, Floyd beats him ten times out of ten IMO.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:49 pm

There's no doubt Marquez learned from the Mayweather fight at how to get his body to handle the weight better this time around. I think the assertion that he didn't take the Mayweather fight as seriously and was just a payday is wide of the mark.

As for how does the Marquez of Sat night past get on with Mayweather, well almost exactly as he did in the previous fight. Mayweather does much of what Marquez does just only a bit better, if he makes Marquez adopt front foot tactics once more then he just picks him of at will.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by supremeskills Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:52 pm

apparently floyd is fighting in february,noy may.i just heard him say it in a interview.
anyway floyd will beat marquez again no problem.

supremeskills

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:53 pm

to say marquez just took the payday against floyd is something im not going to allow. the guy worked his butt off but didnt go about it in the correct way.

as for does he give him a closer fight, maybe, does he give him a challenging fight, no way jose. floyd controls him all day long.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:01 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:No.

Marquez can tear it up when need be, but the best aspects of his game are controlling the range and landing accurate counters (he does it in combos whereas floyd tends to do it in single shots, doubles at the most).

When you've got two guys whose strengths are similar, but one is taller, heavier, faster, stronger, younger and has a longer reach than the other, then there's only likely to be one outcome. Bad style match up for JMM, Floyd beats him ten times out of ten IMO.

Couldn't agree more.

Marquez looked so slow because Floyd is so darn fast.

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsmanGC Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I was trying to be delicate about the approach of marquez towards the floyd fight...There is no way he was in peak condition for that fight. Everyone saw a floyd vitory prior to the fight, for two reasons 1 that floyd is better and has the style to handle marquez, but 2 that marquez was seen as past his best. For me, he no doubt turned out to win, but took the fight knowing he was far away from his comfort zone and I think he was trained wrong and for these reasons mentally was not as up for it as the pac fight.

Do you think he turned up genuinly beleving he could win? For me he turns up to give 100% as he's a warrior, but knows he will need to do something very special (wrong weight, wrong oppenent, arguably wrong time of his career due to age)

SportsmanGC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:35 pm

he turned up believing he could win aftes training hard but i think the instructions he received on bulking up were wrong thats all.

JMM never gives up but he was being broke down mentally and about halfway although trying different ways of approaching him8the belief was going.

name any fighter in history thats a counter puncher thats smaller than floyd to beat him and its tough - the only one who stands a chance in my opinion is whitaker and even then gun to my head i would have to go with floyd...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:46 pm

I'd pretty much agree with everything Alex said on the issue, the only difference between both fights for Marquez was he learned how to handle the weight better after the Floyd experience.

The only part I disagree with is I'd fancy Whitaker to win any fight. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsmanGC Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:51 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:he turned up believing he could win aftes training hard but i think the instructions he received on bulking up were wrong thats all.

JMM never gives up but he was being broke down mentally and about halfway although trying different ways of approaching him8the belief was going.

name any fighter in history thats a counter puncher thats smaller than floyd to beat him and its tough - the only one who stands a chance in my opinion is whitaker and even then gun to my head i would have to go with floyd...

Yes agreed, i don't doubt marquez gave 100% in training and believed he could win...but for my reasons above he wasn't in peak shape and wasn't as up for it or maybe as mentally in the same frame of mind for the manny fight. And yes, floyd had a role in brining this further to light mid fight. I probably used the wrong terminology saying he turned up for a payday, but he doesn't (or his promoters) take any other fight at 146lb against that kind of oppenent. Because it's mayweather and the money was there the fight made sense. Of course in marquez's eyes, the chance to beat the fighter of the era and gaurantee he goes down well up the ATG list.

SportsmanGC

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsmanGC Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:54 pm

SportsmanGC

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Dass wrote:I'd pretty much agree with everything Alex said on the issue, the only difference between both fights for Marquez was he learned how to handle the weight better after the Floyd experience.

The only part I disagree with is I'd fancy Whitaker to win any fight. Very Happy

first time for everything! RE: Mayweather - whitaker in truth its a straight pick em fight for me but just would think the judges would side with floyd for being a bit more aggressive for the close rounds which in truth i could see being nearly every round...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by SportsmanGC Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Dass wrote:I'd pretty much agree with everything Alex said on the issue, the only difference between both fights for Marquez was he learned how to handle the weight better after the Floyd experience.

first time for everything! RE: Mayweather - whitaker in truth its a straight pick em fight for me but just would think the judges would side with floyd for being a bit more aggressive for the close rounds which in truth i could see being nearly every round...

That's one fight were you wouldn't be surprised to see judges scoring even rounds. The fight depends on who goes on the front foot. For me floyd takes it a touch more often than not as I think he can fight well off the front when he needs to. Still close and can't argue with Whittaker taking a close decision assuming fair judging.

SportsmanGC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down