The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!!

+13
John Bloody Wayne
TopHat24/7
AlexHuckerby
oxring
DaveVDK
Michaels, Sean
Nico the gman
Fists of Fury
Sugar Boy Sweetie
88Chris05
Soldier_Of_Fortune
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
17 posters

Go down

Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!! Empty Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:26 pm

Probably the most shocking of victories is the unheralded underdog completely outclassing a champion or a heavy favorite....Seen a few in my time but here are some examples....

JOHNSON vs Jeffries..
ROSARIO vs Bramble
NUNN vs Tate
HINES vs Hilton

Almost felt like putting Taylor vs Chavez..

All completely one sided where the favorite didn't belong in the ring with the challenger or underdog...

Of course Hilton scored a couple of wild swinging knockdowns but lost the other 35 1/2 minutes of the fight...Bramble was one of my favorite fighters as well.....headed for a showdown with Hector at the time..

Any better examples........or more to add to the list??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!! Empty Re: Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!!

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:37 pm

Ricky Burns vs Graham Earl, Burns tenth pro fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!! Empty Re: Underdogs outclassing Champions/heavy favorites !!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:39 pm

Don't remember that one Galvy.......

Think Benitez was 17 when he beat Cervantes..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

Honey v Curry.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Don't remember that one Galvy.......

Think Benitez was 17 when he beat Cervantes..

Yeah great achievement.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:45 pm

Holyfield-Tyson always springs to mind. Regardless of what revisionist history says, Tyson was expected to do away with the (seemingly) over the hill Holyfield with ease - instead, Holyfield won just about every minute of every round, bar a couple of tough moments, before stopping him in style.

Forrest-Mosley is another one. Mosley was deemed by some as the top man pound for pound, but Forrest mauled him all night and was on the brink of getting him out of there early, too. He turned what was supposed to be a one-sided beatdown totally on its head.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:47 pm

Thought of that but it was quite close wasn't it for the first half of it...

But Tyson was something like 8-1 so I guess at them odds you're probably right..

Was Leonard favorite against Benitez????

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:50 pm

I'll throw one out from left field..

Pazienza was a big favorite for his rematch with Greg Haugen....and got an absolute schooling..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Can't believe you've not mentioned buster v Tyson.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

That's a great shout, Truss.

A more obvious one - Tyson vs Douglas, of course.

Barrera against Hamed? Though not on the same scale..

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:56 pm

John h Stracey v Carlos Palomino, Carlos who? battered Stracey massive underdog.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

Douglas and Tyson is a little controversial..Did he make ten etc...

But I'll accept that one..cheers..

Barrera-Hamed is pretty close fists....He did kind of outbox him 8-4....

CONTENTIOUS one hey!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

Burns v Martinez
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

Ricky Burns is popular on here tonight...

Looks like he has a few fans on here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

Good point, Barrera didn't really outclass Hamed, but did outbox him.

Yeah Burns has been getting stacks of credit today! Lovely bloke, a good fighter, but short of being amongst the true elite, to my mind.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

Katsidis had just had a one sided hammering hadn't he!!!!

So people shouldn't be too excited.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:33 pm

Two real beatings at the hands of Marquez and Guerrero - got to take a lot out of you.

Also, as I mentioned on another thread, Burns did move up rather than face Broner, the most legitimate challenge to him, after all. Fancied the shopworn, but still dangerous, Katsidis, as opposed to the young, unbeaten, hungry lion in Broner.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:34 pm

A very shrewd move, in hindsight.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 16 Nov 2011, 9:39 pm

spot on..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:17 pm

Randall v Chavez, not outclassing, but a massive upset no less, also put him down for the first time in his career.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:56 pm

Given we were talking about it before - Braddock-Baer
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Two real beatings at the hands of Marquez and Guerrero - got to take a lot out of you.

Also, as I mentioned on another thread, Burns did move up rather than face Broner, the most legitimate challenge to him, after all. Fancied the shopworn, but still dangerous, Katsidis, as opposed to the young, unbeaten, hungry lion in Broner.

How do you know this? He's never seemed an untruthful type so I believe he was struggling to make the weight at SFW, the guy is huge for a SFW as well to be honest and all the reports for the Nicky Cook fight was that he was basically starving himself to make the weight...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:12 pm

No to be honest I probably believe Ricky, he seems an honest guy and is very likeable...however, I'd question why he said he's be up for the Broner fight only to decide he had outgrown the weight just as it looked close to getting made. He obviously knew for some time that he was outgrowing the weight, why not say this earlier? I believe him, but I do think the emergence of Broner sped up the move somewhat, and fair play, as I imagine Broner would have taken him apart.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:19 pm

I imagine Broner would have beaten him also, the guy looks on another level to be honest... But if he realised he would definitely lose and part of it would be down to not being able to be in the best position to do it because he was struggling weight why not move up? He still took on a fight he was pretty heavy underdog for to be fair...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:25 pm

True, we can't knock him too much.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 17 Nov 2011, 8:48 am

Fists of Fury wrote:No to be honest I probably believe Ricky, he seems an honest guy and is very likeable...however, I'd question why he said he's be up for the Broner fight only to decide he had outgrown the weight just as it looked close to getting made. He obviously knew for some time that he was outgrowing the weight, why not say this earlier? I believe him, but I do think the emergence of Broner sped up the move somewhat, and fair play, as I imagine Broner would have taken him apart.

He had been saying for a while Fists that he would be moving up, well before the Cook fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 9:33 am

The Galveston Giant wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:No to be honest I probably believe Ricky, he seems an honest guy and is very likeable...however, I'd question why he said he's be up for the Broner fight only to decide he had outgrown the weight just as it looked close to getting made. He obviously knew for some time that he was outgrowing the weight, why not say this earlier? I believe him, but I do think the emergence of Broner sped up the move somewhat, and fair play, as I imagine Broner would have taken him apart.

He had been saying for a while Fists that he would be moving up, well before the Cook fight.

Contrary to the impression I seemed to be giving on the other thread, I do really like Burns. He seems a top lad, honest and respectable, and he's a good boxer too, was impressed with the manner of his Kats win although I'll never get particularly excited by a powder-puff puncher.

However, the Broner point does still rankle me. It was the convenience/coincidence of the timing that, despite whether he may have mentioned moving up previously, he was still talking a good game at SFW yet shot up to LW as soon as Broner was made his mandatory. He's a big SFW as you say, and I could see him moving up anyway in 2-3 fights time, however in Broner hadn't been made his mandatory for the Warren belt I genuinely don't think he'd have moved up so soon.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:15 am

Foreman v Frazier 1

The undefeated heavyweight champ, slayer of Ali taking an absolute pummeling.

Wasn't Willard meant to walk over Dempsey.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 17 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
The Galveston Giant wrote:

Contrary to the impression I seemed to be giving on the other thread, I do really like Burns. He seems a top lad, honest and respectable, and he's a good boxer too, was impressed with the manner of his Kats win although I'll never get particularly excited by a powder-puff puncher.

However, the Broner point does still rankle me. It was the convenience/coincidence of the timing that, despite whether he may have mentioned moving up previously, he was still talking a good game at SFW yet shot up to LW as soon as Broner was made his mandatory. He's a big SFW as you say, and I could see him moving up anyway in 2-3 fights time, however in Broner hadn't been made his mandatory for the Warren belt I genuinely don't think he'd have moved up so soon.

I agree, although i seriously think he could have only managed another fight or two at the weight before his performances were affected. I obviously thought he ducked Broner too but was more than happy when i realised he had been offered a fight with Katsidis at the weight above, and for me that challenge was just as tough, it's easy to look back now and think it wasn't but Ricky made Katsidis look the way he did in there. So i think he timed it perfect as he wouldn't have got as much credit off the general boxing fan for what could have been a tougher/just as tough fight.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Nov 2011, 4:50 pm

Enough with Braddock and Baer...Braddock won because he clowned the title away..

Wasn't outclassed and Braddock wasn't great.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

Marquez vs Pacquiao....just pick any fight

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 18 Nov 2011, 6:49 pm

Ali v Liston. Masterclass by Ali. Massive underdog also.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

Donaire vs Darchinyan

Juan Manual Lopez vs Ponce De Leon

For a couple more recently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 19 Nov 2011, 9:57 pm

burns martinez is a good example of underdog outclassing champion, burns katsidis is not

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:20 pm

Drago vs Creed

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:26 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:Drago vs Creed

Creed was past it and semi retired.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:30 pm

azania wrote:

Though still a heavy favourite, mainly due to fighting in his own back yard mind.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 19 Nov 2011, 10:41 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
azania wrote:

Though still a heavy favourite, mainly due to fighting in his own back yard mind.

Drago was also doing a Pacman?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sun 20 Nov 2011, 10:40 am

Ali v Foreman
Spinks v Ali
Bramble v Mancini
Norris v SRL
Cruz v McGuigan

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:20 pm

rocky/apollo creed

no one saw that one coming

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down