The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!!

+29
goodwalkspoiled
dynamark
dewsweeper
navyblueshorts
Gareth_NI
Skydriver
number1hacker
GWR-Golfer
ESMD
Marcus
jeffkenna
Redrage
StAlbans
oldparwin
links
kwinigolfer
raycastleunited
goldwolf
Diggers
McLaren
JDandfries
JPX
barragan
MustPuttBetter
ScottieD18
earlsy
super_realist
Rangiora
4putt
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!! Empty Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!!

Post by 4putt Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:40 am

Why is it that most pros I watch on TV take their glove off after each shot?

I can understand taking it off for putting, but why do it between other shots. Personally I find it irritating taking a glove on and off and leave it on most of the time.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!! Empty Re: Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!!

Post by Rangiora Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:40 am

Part of their pre shot routine ? I take mine off for putting and then when it's my turn to tee off the putting on of the glove is my trigger

Rangiora

Back to top Go down

Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!! Empty Re: Glove on, glove off, glove on!!!!!!!

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:50 am

I only ever wear a glove for full shots, which means pretty much anything inside 110 yards is glove off.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by earlsy Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:57 am

I leave mine on for the whole round and only take it off if I have to reapply sun cream.

earlsy

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 am

Taking it off after each shot keeps the glove newer. Wearing it between shots menas the material stretches quicker and wears out faster.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:33 am

I find the opposite Scottie, taking it off between every shot means all the pushing and pulling on the fingers causes then them end up twice as long as your actual fingers before long
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 am

i'm no pro, but i also prefer to take my glove off between shots. probably because i don't like restricting the air flow around my sensitive hands. it helps to keep a more even tan in the summer too Cool

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:42 am

Is it not to reduce the inside of the glove getting sweaty? Personally I take my glove off between shots for that reason.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:55 am

I only have a glove on for shots, put it on immediately before, and take it off immediately after.

Dont wear it for putting or short pitching

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:34 am

I take my glove of in-between shots and like super do not wear it for shots inside 100 yards or so. The reason I don’t wear it for shorter shots is that when practising the short game I never wear a glove so to do so on those shots feels uncomfortable.

When people putt with a glove on I tend to worry if playing them, they must be damn good if they can putt like that and still hole anything.

As to why I take it of between shots it may well just be habit, could be because I am so used to driving it to wedge range I know to take of the glove. If only!

The last time I went to the range (August!?) I didn’t bother with a glove and ended up smacking drivers, came away with a small blister on my left hand.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:02 am

I dont take mine off apart from when I putt but I do undo the button to loosen it on my hand.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 am

I wear a glove for every shot except putting and for those chips around the green where I use mu putting stroke. Take off between shots to stop them getting too clammy inside. I also swap to a different glove after 9.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 am

Diggers wrote:I dont take mine off apart from when I putt but I do undo the button to loosen it on my hand.

Digs, that's unusual, don't think I've ever seen a golf glove that fastens with a button.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:19 am

Never wear a glove, never have, probably never will.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 am

raycastleunited wrote:
Diggers wrote:I dont take mine off apart from when I putt but I do undo the button to loosen it on my hand.

Digs, that's unusual, don't think I've ever seen a golf glove that fastens with a button.

Sorry mate, meant the Velcro strap rather than the button.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by links Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Never wear a glove, never have, probably never will.

During my, admittedly short, golfing life I have found that I prefer not to wear a glove either. I did buy one and try it but I prefer not wearing it.

links

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29 am

It is weird what you get acustomed to, I always feel like I will let go of the club with a full swing, when I wear no glove. On the other hand I bought a right handed all weather glove for an important game in the summer when it was tipping it down, and it felt like I was playing in boxing gloves with 2 gloves on!!

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:41 am

I think I could easily get used to playing with no glove at all, in many ways I think they are merely a placebo or affectation.
I used to play with a baseball grip before changing to a interlocked grip, if I can do that without too much bother, which is a pretty major change, ditching a glove should be fairly easy to do by comparison.

I think there are some pro's who don't wear gloves (Freddy Couples, Glover?)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 am

Goldwolf, That reminds me of a mate of mine who was relatively new to the game. Someone told him that wearing marigold kitchen gloves were good for gripping the club in the rain.
He gets on the 1st tee wearing two bright yellow marigolds. Makes a big swing at the ball. The club flies out of his hands and lands about 50 yards away on the 18th green.
Unsurprisingly, he's constantly reminded of it. Very Happy

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:46 am

I prefer a pink marigold.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 pm

I never wear a glove for most of the year, but I do have a few sets of winter gloves, for this time of the year, nothing worse than cold hands, so if its cold the gloves go on the first tee and stay on till golf bag and trolley are back in the car.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by StAlbans Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I wear a glove for all my shots and would almost certainly lose it if i took it off everytime between shots!

Goldwolf, Out of interest do you mean that you change to a brand new glove every nine holes or do you have a front nine glove and a back nine glove? The first option would start to get a bit expensive! Shocked

StAlbans

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 pm

StAlbans wrote:Goldwolf, Out of interest do you mean that you change to a brand new glove every nine holes or do you have a front nine glove and a back nine glove? The first option would start to get a bit expensive! Shocked

No I mean I change to a dry glove out the bag, I just have two gloves on the go. I hate that clammy feeling inside the glove, especially in the summer. Just freshens it up a bit.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:31 pm

super_realist wrote:I prefer a pink marigold.

This is clearly where he went wrong.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by StAlbans Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:39 pm

goldwolf wrote:
StAlbans wrote:Goldwolf, Out of interest do you mean that you change to a brand new glove every nine holes or do you have a front nine glove and a back nine glove? The first option would start to get a bit expensive! Shocked

No I mean I change to a dry glove out the bag, I just have two gloves on the go. I hate that clammy feeling inside the glove, especially in the summer. Just freshens it up a bit.

Thats what i thought you meant but just wanted to check you hadn't taken it to extremes!

What about wearing two gloves? Anybody know someone that does?

StAlbans

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:43 pm

Only in consistent rain.

I don't know anyone who wears 2 gloves as standard, apart from Tommy.

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by StAlbans Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Yeah, I wonder if he actually gets any benefit from wearing two gloves or has he just got stuck with it now because of his nickname!

Would be a good person for a golf manufactorer to try and get on board especially if they could get him to wear just one of there new gloves. What a great bit of advertising 'The glove that is that good even Tommy Two Gloves only needs one' (The slogan might need a bit of work!!)

StAlbans

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Apparently Michael Jackson was a good golfer, he preferred just the one glove. Laugh although I think he was more interested in another type of stroke altogether.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffkenna Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:59 pm

I take mine off between shots because I have always done so. Probably started because that's what the pro's did and don't we copy them (hence most people who started playing golf in the tiger woods era go when putting have two practice strokes before putting the club behind the ball!!) Force of habit I suppose but I do think to stop sweaty hand also

jeffkenna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:17 pm

I take mine off between shots coz that's what they do on the tellybox...

Whistle

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by ESMD Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:31 pm

Reading the thread made me realise I take my glove off between shots without really thinking about it. I guess it's a mental trigger that after finishing the shot you keep it off until the next one. Don't wear it all for shortgame stuff as like others have said I never practice that with a glove on anyway.

ESMD

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't wear a glove - haven't for most of my 51+ years playing golf, so have no idea what your all on about.

just looks like a Phaffing (or is it faffing) to me.

and no - it's not because I'm Scottish
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by number1hacker Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 am

I take my glove off to open my can of beer. Nothing worse the opening the can of beer and it spills all over your nice dry glove....

number1hacker

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:38 am

I usually wear a pair of winter gloves whenever / wherever I'm playing.

I am not trying to emulate Tommy Gainey (in any way whatsoever I might add...), but do this to give some protection to my right hand. Not sure if it's the colder weather, but my fingers are a mess at the moment from a dry skin condition - cracking, bleeding etc. Altogether yuck and *#!$ing annoying.

Perhaps it's nature's way of telling me I shouldn't be playing golf (given that I don't seem to listen to anyone else who cares to say as such).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 am

Skydriver

I don’t like to worry you but that is a symptom common in the early stages of syphilis.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Gareth_NI Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:26 am

Never got used to wearing a glove, occassions (circa half a dozen times) that I've tried its never really last longer than a few holes.

Tend to replace my grips every 12-18 months and have never suffered from blistering or similar.

I did however buy a pair of Under Armour winter gloves a year ago, great for the cold weather, they are light/compact enough to play with but even then I take them off when playing shots.

Gareth_NI

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:05 am

I'm typical(ish) I think. I wear one, loosen it between shots and remove it for greenside shipping and putting. I will take it off completely between shots in hot weather as it gets pretty grim after fulltime wear over 18 holes in any significant heat.

Skydriver
Ever had problems with contact dermatitis or eczema?

Edit: I don't wear one in the rain as I find it gives far less traction than bare hands.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:15 am

navyblueshorts wrote:Skydriver
Ever had problems with contact dermatitis or eczema?

Yes, eczema. The specific problem on the right hand started a few years ago, perhaps a year before I first swung a golf club in anger - it wasn't caused by golf, but is certainly made worse. May pay another trip to GP when I'm back home over Xmas if it deteriorates further, but the doctors haven't been able to prescribe anything particularly effective since it started.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:02 pm

Skydriver

Eczema on hands is often made worse wearing gloves, at least it is in my case when I get occasional bouts. I've worn latex gloves a lot over the years (do a lot of work in a research lab) and I now have increasingly common outbreaks if I wear latex-based gloves very much, especially if it's hot and my hands sweat a lot.

A very effective topical treatment I use occasionally is hydrocortisone cream which you can buy over the counter from a pharmacist. I'd get it looked at by a GP again though before going that way; both in case it's something else and also re. info about steroid cream side-effects.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by dewsweeper Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:35 pm

GWR-Golfer wrote:I don't wear a glove - haven't for most of my 51+ years playing golf, so have no idea what your all on about.

just looks like a Phaffing (or is it faffing) to me.

and no - it's not because I'm Scottish

I agree , if you can keep your hands and grips dry and your grips are in good order then no glove is needed in my opinion.
Years ago when I started playing and I had leather grips a little block of bees-wax was useful to rub on the grips to make them tacky,I have not seen anyone do that since the early 70's though !!!

dewsweeper

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Guys I have never used a glove -does it really make any difference?
If you can guarantee my handicap will fall i will go out and purchase one at the next oportunity

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:04 pm

dynamark wrote:Guys I have never used a glove -does it really make any difference?
If you can guarantee my handicap will fall i will go out and purchase one at the next oportunity

the first time i used a glove i knocked 14 strokes off my previous best score Cool (for an 92!!)

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by goodwalkspoiled Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Mac

I'm the chap you worry about on the greens ! I wear a glove on all shots including putts ......
goodwalkspoiled
goodwalkspoiled

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Goodwalk

I just always imagine those wearing a glove on the green are not bogged down be the same mental trauma's putting causes the rest of us.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by links Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 am

Why is wearing a glove whilst putting considered to be a hindrance by most people?

links

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:37 am

links wrote:Why is wearing a glove whilst putting considered to be a hindrance by most people?

I think most people would say it's about feel. It's an unnecessary barrier between you and the club. I find that if I'm putting with a glove on I lose some distance control. With the glove off I'm basically Seve Cool .

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:54 pm

Used to wear one most of the time, later turned into wannabe tourpro and take it off between shots. Then one day it felt really uncomfortable and a distraction so I stopped wearing it. (Have grown out of wannabe tourpro stage now)

Would say now that I don't wear one but there are two exceptions; if it is really hot and my hands are sweating or really cold so I wear regular gloves between shots.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm

shclaff wrote:
links wrote:Why is wearing a glove whilst putting considered to be a hindrance by most people?

I think most people would say it's about feel. It's an unnecessary barrier between you and the club. I find that if I'm putting with a glove on I lose some distance control. With the glove off I'm basically Seve Cool .

Which means you are dead.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:20 pm

My glove goes on on the first tee and it is not removed (unless I need to pay a visit to the bushes Wink ) until I walk off the 18th green. It has been like that for 50 years and I see absolutely no reason to change now.

One of the reasons you wear a glove is for feel. Think about it, they say to really feel how smooth the bodywork on your car is, put a piece of silk between your hand and the car and then rub the bodywork. the silk accentuates any imperfections. So rather than lose touch wearing a glove, I believe I gain it.

If the sole reason for a glove was grip, we would all be using what dewsweeper alluded to - tacky grip - I think it was called, and the glove would not need to be so thin and tactile.

I do however have a number of dry gloves in my bag for when it rains.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by shclaff Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:02 pm

OS - I think the reason the glove is so thin and tactile as you put it, is to provide grip whilst not compromising the feel too much.

Playing devil's advocate, by your logic shouldn't we all be wearing two gloves all the time?

shclaff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next